MacOS High Sierra

macOS High Sierra (version 10.13) releases tomorrow, September 25th.

apple.com/macos/high-sierra/

Are you hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/C9HDN/safari-embedded-webm-support#readme
get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.4/macosx/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

>tfw idort on Sup Forums
>Use Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android (not iOS yet)

I'm Actually pretty excited desu. I enjoy working on my MacBook

So, does it mean safari finally support webm now?

Nah I checked in the preview editions

>go to apple store with gf because I always talk about how bad it smells and she doesn't believe me
>walk in, "courage"ous miasma of body odor and lye soap strikes us
>decide to look at a macbook to see what all the hype is about
>takes us 45 minutes to figure out how to add text to a photo and change the wallpaper
>leave sweating because apple store is passively cooled, no AC or ventilation
>her iphone 6 touchscreen stops responding a week later
so this is the power... of apple

>Being a retard
>Blame apple

No, Apple is going all in for HEVC as noticed on their High Sierra page. But you *can* add it in yourself.

github.com/C9HDN/safari-embedded-webm-support#readme

For an OS that prides itself on ease-of-use and simplicity, I shouldn't need google to figure out how to do something so simple.

But I don't want to install vlc. I already have iina.

whoo id dis gook face and why do I want her to peel my banana

Why would anyone be hyped for an OS this garbage.

good level of shitposting

Lads...
>Science the shit out of this...

>not being able to use the top finder bar to edit images
>not being able to look through system preferences for 'desktop & screen saver'

You're fucking retarded dude.

>look at bottom bar
>see cog
>click it
>oh look "desktop and screensaver"
OP, you should really not post in these threads anymore, cause the only thing you make look retarded is you.

No, was excited for it but sadly it doesn't work

Been using it for a month or 2 now, there really isn't anything to hype for
I didn't came notice the change from hfs to apfs

>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
>STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT
STILL NO WEBM SUPPORT

>open image with preview
>see toolbox icon
>click it
>see an icon with a "T" in it
>click it
>cursor transforms to the "I" you see when moving through text
>click anywhere in image
>textbox appear
Also
>see colours beside the icon I pressed
>click it
>change font, colour and size
Are you mentally challenged?

I would love to do this, but since yesterday I get "we have no mirrors that can handle your request" when I try to download the VLC browser plugin.
It's kinda retarded.

Simple searching would get you find the ftp link for that though it's the nightly version.

Ew. I'll wait. I actually don't give a shit about webm. I can wait.

>have to disable image hover
into the trash it goes

also when the fuck are the autists at apple going to enable favicons in safari? is there a workout that isn't dogshit?

Did they finally fucking fix Finder
I updated to Sierra when it was out and Finder would display some folders in a corrupted glitchy mess and would never display my downloads folder correctly.
My work computer running Sierra has the same issue despite running the newest revision.

spread Goolag's influence?

NO; FUCKING NO!

Anyone running the GM on a 2013 Macbook Air? If so how's your experience?

I've noticed that they don't actually update the underlying OS, just aqua and some other their shitty programs.
Gonna stay on sierra with my Air, lest I see a 50% decrease in battery life as expected of applels planned obsolesce

What's gm?
On running the high sierra preview on a late 2012 mba, your should be fine

no because I don't want my stuff to break??

Maybe someday I will get mac again.

>modern file system
This is the exciting part, HFS+ is trash. I wish MS would kill NTFS like Apple is killing theirs.

Hackintosh ready?

>HFS+ is trash
I heard it from Cuckalds so it must be true!!! haha xd
Well then, why does EXT3 and EXT4 suck so much on my Linux disk? moving files over 45-50GB makes the ENTIRE SYSTEM slow as SHIT not to mention how it isn't even faster than HFS+ nor NTFS when I used to boot windows 7 with it.

Why even bother with a hackintosh?
Seriously, it's like using a gimped version of linux

>moving files over 45-50GB makes the ENTIRE SYSTEM slow as SHIT
You serious right now kid?

the last pre-release version or gold master. it was released 1-2 weeks ago. pretty much the same version that will officially be released tomorrow.

Haha, time to fuck up my work computer.

Except that OSX has almost nothing to do with Linux you idiot. You may reply to this post when Linux gets
>decent native 3rd party support for major programs like adobe photoshop, aftereffects, sony vegas, CAD, et cetera
oh wait...
Yes.

You are not forced to use safari on mac. I've been using firefox on it since forever. It works as well as on other systems.

Yeah I use iridium and qutebrowser on my air.
Icecat works but I can only find ancient versions that are pre-compiled. I'm not going through the hassle of compiling a browser on a mac

Safari has the best performance though. All other browsers feel sluggish on my 2014 mb.

>2014 mb.
Just install fedora on it and move on from that shitty OS man.
You'll get an actual modern OS while looking like a normie

And the worst compatibility.

what page doesn't work properly on it? it's fucking webkit. everything is designed around webkit now. just because it doesn't play webm meme videos on your swedish boat rowing image board doesn't mean it's not compatible with anything.

With all this fancy webasm stuff, I'm suprised there isn't a pure js plugin with a recompiled vp9 decoder converting frames.

t. someone who never used OSX
>install fedora on it
>You'll get an actual modern OS while looking like a normie
lmbo

>what page doesn't work properly on it?
Anything using Widevine.

>Widevine
>Google tech

you mean basically nothing then. google tech is a meme and will be abandoned within a year just like every other google pet project out there.

>>takes us 45 minutes to figure out how to [...] change the wallpaper
Literally right click on desktop and select "change wallpaper"
You are too retarded to even use a mac, you should be embarassed...

>you mean basically nothing then.
Yeah, I've heard that no one uses Netflix.

>giving a shit about proprietary drm video content

LOL

Netflix works just fine in Safari, idiot.

>doesn't dispute that it will be abandoned in a year like every google side project

ok

Fedora does not have Logic Pro.

>Netflix works just fine in Safari, idiot.
Yeah, if you use Silverlight.

Nope. Works just fine without you idiot.

Oh ok
I also meant to say that I am running the high sierra preview, no idea why it changed to on

It runs on HTML5 you mong. If you are being prompted to use Silverlight it's because you are using an old as fuck mac or some other dumb reason (like using a Hackintosh).

>Have 2015 rMBP 13"
>Still running 10.11

Should I upgrade to 10.12/10.13, or will it slow it way down?

Why in the world would it slow down?

>All other browsers feel sluggish on my 2014 mb
I use Chromium on my 2010 macbook and it runs perfectly smooth. You may have fucked something up.

because apple slows down their older devices on purpose

>>doesn't dispute that it will be abandoned in a year like every google side project
People usually don't bother with ridiculous claims. Google has owned Widevine for seven years.

Not for macOS and if you feel like it's slow you can always just downgrade

How's Hangouts working for you?

>because apple slows down their older devices on purpose
On iOS, yeah... but not on Mac OS, my 2013 Macbook Pro is faster now than it was back when i bought it. Also this

Pretty well actually. Just kept in touch with a friend a couple of months ago.

My MBP is 7 years old and it runs just as well if not better on Sierra as it did when I first got it

Or Picasa, or Reader, or Spaces or Google Code etc

Still delusional if you think fedora is better.

I'm not gonna upgrade my air past sierra
I just need it for battery life and examsoft cause of med school.
After I graduate im gonna change the (by then) worn out battery and just install linux on it.
I already tried fedora and it works flawlessly

Probably as well as iPhoto, Aperture, Final Cut, iTunes Ping, the iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 or the iPad Mini.

NVIDIA does that with their graphics cards and yet people here recommend them so what difference does Apple doing it make?

People only use nvidia because of shitty linux drivers
AMDGPU is completely reversing that

what would be the proper procedure to upgrade without fucking up my current shit?
do i need to do a clean install? all the brew shit that i have in my mac is all done by accident and i have no idea how to restore it if i were to do a clean install

>do i need to do a clean install?
No? Why would you?

No
Before the update process you are asked if you want to make the switch to apfs (at least they asked in the preciew, maybe in the final release it's made automatically) but all your files will remain there

I thought >we always clean installed right after 6 monthly application (and/or new OS version) of thermal paste

>lists outmoded hardware because he can't think of anything else
>iPhoto, Aperature got their years of service and infact have feature sets rolled into current incarnation of photos

not to mention they were smoothly transitioned to the new version and not just abruptly EOL'd mid-life cycle like any google's many defunt project

>>lists outmoded hardware because he can't think of anything else
That's hardware that people bought and still own. And Apple's software model is completely fucked to the point where you can't even update the browser without an OS update. You'll never get an updated browser on those devices and you can't actually use modern websites because they don't support ECMAScript 6.

the newest one of those was released 5 1/2 fucking years ago. sure as fuck got MORE OS updates than any fucking android tablet in existence

They didn't build a v2.2.6 web plugin. Gotta use an older version.

v2.2.4 was the latest web plugin get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.4/macosx/

You never need to clean install. Unless you have some random errors that pop up or want to clear out any cache uninstalled applications might have left just update it.

Can someone explain what the benefit of APFS is

only for the ars review desu

no

If you have to ask it the only benefit you might (and only might, because I didn't notice anything) notice is slightly faster file operations

>Look at the feature list

wow
its fucking nothing

>APFS, a new filesystem to replace HFS+ used since Mac OS 8.1 back in 1998
>native HEVC support
>Metal 2 support
>native VR support

Wow, it's fuckimg nothing

It has some new emojis too since that's probably more your speed

>Metal 2 support
Nobody will use it, only ruby code artisans that upload shitty "games" to the mac app store
>native hevc support
Kek, those facebook machines are going to catch on fire and then throttle down
>apfs
It's as shit as hfs, just because its newer doesn't mean it's better
>native be support
Back to Sup Forums you go

Found hidden files need command from terminal.

>Nobody will use it, only ruby code artisans that upload shitty "games" to the mac app store

the entire GUI is now gpu accelerated via metal. that's the big change

THANK YOU BASED APPLE

Holy shit, its actually fucking nothing
The ui was already smooth, and since macos is designed to work on specific hardware configs, apple was never going to release an OS that didn't have fluid animations
What's the actual change you'll notice
I've had mac is x since relatively recently, mountain lion, and its been a good number of updates were nothing meaningful has actually changed
The only thing was the system integrity protection which is utter shit and broke much of the software I was using before then
Most of the software dropped support for el Capitan + because "turning off system integrity is a risk we cannot ask you to face" (pure bs)

>>apfs
>It's as shit as hfs, just because its newer doesn't mean it's better
I'm as Linuxfag as they come and even I know this is bullshit, APFS is much better than HFS and better than the majority of filesystems honestly. They went from having the worst to possibly the best.

You're actually a retard if you can't figure out how to change the wallpaper in ANY major OS in less than 5 minutes.

>it's a Sup Forumstard manchild who doesn't know what's he's talking about starts posting episode