/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Here is the Pixel 2 in “Kinda Blue,” White, and Black – Starting at $649
droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-kinda-blue-price/

And Here is the Pixel 2 XL in Black and White, Starting at $849
droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

HTC and Google announce a $1.1 billion agreement for the future of Pixel
gsmarena.com/htc_and_google_announce_a_11_billion_agreement_for_the_future_of_pixel_phones-news-27383.php

HTC U11 Plus rumored for November with 6-inch 18:9 bezel-less screen
gsmarena.com/htc_u11_plus_rumored_for_november_with_6inch_189_bezelless_screen-news-27406.php

Moto G5S Plus lands in the US on September 29, pre-orders are live for $229.99
gsmarena.com/moto_g5s_plus_is_landing_in_the_us_on_september_29_preorders_are_live_for_22999-news-27403.php

Android Oreo for Huawei Mate 9 could be arriving soon
gsmarena.com/oreo_update_for_huawei_mate_9_could_be_arriving_soon-news-27432.php

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/moto_g5s_plus_is_landing_in_the_us_on_september_29_preorders_are_live_for_22999-news-27403.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's \g\'s obsession with Moto G5? Crappy specs nowhere near Xiaomeme SD 625.

The Moto G was the go to phone for Sup Forums back in 2014 or whatever when it was released. You know what they say, old habits die hard.

There's probably better alternatives especially since Moto is owned by Lenovo.

G5 is old news now that the G5S is releasing later this month.

As a phone dude and frequent time traveller, I find the Moto G2 is still the best smartphone

What's the best way to completely uninstall all of the AT&T bloatware apps without voiding warranty (and also for free)? On a Galaxy S8+.

bought an iPhone 4s second hand at New Year’s Eve. probably 5 years old give or take when I got it.

I plan on running this thing into the ground. how much longer will it live? got a spare battery too.

Also, what's the best YouTube player that can play videos in the background?

because Xiaomi isn't available locally in many countries and some people don't want to or can't order from China. The specs might not be the best on the Moto phones but at least they have stock android so they still perform reasonably well

iPhone 7 or Samsung galaxy s8?

They cost the same where I live

iOS 11 doesn't support iphone 4s, consider using it until whatever iOS version it supports is no longer supported

>can afford a $800 smartphone
>can't afford a $2 app to disable bloatware

Newpipe

Fine. Which app do I have to buy?

completely uninstalling would involve rooting the system

or you could use package disabler pro to disable it without root or voiding warranty

Package disabler pro, or BK package disabler

Why do new iphones have more than 1gb of ram? I thought that's all they needed...

Do iphones even come with in white or is silver the closest to it?

well that’s a long time away from now. apps aren’t a problem, too.
physically, I mean. can I expect it to run the same 10+ years down the line? I’m afraid of it stopping all of a sudden like my friend’s 4 just recently.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE V30 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>I’m afraid of it stopping all of a sudden like my friend’s 4 just recently.
What did you friend do?

no white

Alrighty, I'll make the decision between silver or space gray.

nothing; that’s the worst part. he woke up one day last August and the phone wouldn’t turn on anymore.
buttons are intact, screen is spotless, body’s in a case; no signs. it just died.

I’m sure phones and other tech last well beyond their projected lifespan given enough care, but for cases like my friend’s... well, it makes me nervous. the 4s is my favorite phone and I’d hate to see it go.

Has Nokia 8 dethroned Moto G as Sup Forums favorite poorphone?

Nokia 8 costs like 600 euros mate...

>Nokia 8
I think you mean Nokia 6 friend

Yes, this one

nah, Redmi Note 4 mate

GALAXY A5 2017

>1080p
>waterproof
>4Go
>2 days battery
>micro SD
>headphone jack
>non retarted fingerprint placement and muhbezel memes
>300€

Is there a better bang for the buck than this?

>Inb4 touchjizz
Truth is it's got nicer than Android.

>4Go
what?

>list phone on swappa
>pajeet immediately shits the listing up by lowballing

Oh shit I got confused with the 4G it's only 3.

Blackberry Priv or Keyone? I'm not sure what the advantage of the Keyone is but it's twice the price.

Priv is shit, KeyOne isn't

iPhone SE

I have some important files that I need to transfer off of my old Galaxy S5. However, the screen is completely busted. Is there any way for me to retrieve the files?

>Galaxy s8
Will stop getting updates next year

>iPhone 7
Will get updates until 2020

The choice is easy

Thanks, but what makes it shit? Is the sliding keyboard prone to breaking or something?

>2014
>see the Xperia z3 phones
>want to buy the compact one
>buy it after researching it with sites praising the phone
>FF to 2016
>sony gave us marshmallow without adaptive storage
>internal memory is only 16GB
>my 32GB card is now useless
>root the phone and install a custom rom that enables adaptive storage
>FF to 2017
>custom rom makers abandon the phone
>new apps freeze after opening
>watching youtube and twitter videos make their apps crash sometimes
>some games crash after running them
>battery barely manages to run for 12 hours with normal usage
Fuck sony and samsung and apple, what's a good phone that can keep up with me for 2+ years and the manufacturer won't abandon after a year

the SD808 SoC is a piece of shit and it's stuck on android 6.0 forever

The Keyone might get an update or two, but given Blackberry's recent history with their Android phones you shouldn't expect anything apart from a few security patches. The Priv is stuck on Marshmallow (iirc) forever and you can't unlock the bootloader so no hope for custom ROMs with newer versions of Android.

You used to be able to just connect it to a computer and it would automatically mount the files in /sdcard/ Marshmallow (iirc) changed this behavior so you have to unlock the phone and switch to file transfer mode.

>Will stop getting updates next year
You mean the year after that.

Samsung has a 4-5 year track record now of 1.75-2 years of updates. And even after that they still provide the monthly security patches for Android.

Complain all you want but Samsung is only bested by Google when it comes to how long after launch a phone will receive updates.

Thanks guys. Inferior hardware aside, this means there's no guarantee they won't do the same to the keyone right? Maybe I should look at something else.

Google pixel 2 would be your best bet.

So since my phone is on Marshmallow, is there anything I can do?

Lg g6 for 450€ or samsung galaxy s8 for 590€? Or does /spg/ know of some other similar (read: flagship) specced ip68 compliant phone?

You could have bought an iPhone 6 and you'd still be getting official updates to iOS11. Apple is pretty much the only manufacturer that keeps their phones updated for ~5 years.

Your best option on Android would be Pixel phones, but they are only guaranteed updates for 2 years from the date of release and three years for security updates.

You could take a gamble with a Nokia phone. They just started making Android phones but promise fast updates, and their version of Android is clean so they have an easier time of updating. Even their low end phones are getting an update to Oreo, which is basically unheard of. They're still new to the game so it's uncertain how long of support they will offer.

Besides getting the screen fixed I don't know of any way to get the files off the device. Let this be a reminder to anyone listening to keep backups of stuff that you have on your phone, since it could be rendered inoperable at any time.

I'd imagine the same thing will happen to the KEYONE. They'll release on 7.1, send a few timely security updates, and then start slacking off when they start to focus on their next phone. But if you're dead set on a physical keyboard your options are severely limited.

s8 here

but i bought it for approx the same price of the lg, the LG is a catch

Moto G5, Redmi note 4 or Redmi note 3 pro?

SD 625

KeyOne has been promised an update to Android Oreo but whether Blackberry delivers is another matter.

Could I try and screen mirror the phone and change to file transfer mode from a computer?

That was one thing I thought of. But I'm not sure if you can turn on screen mirroring without having access to the phone's display. Maybe if you had some sort of display that would automatically turn it on when plugged in, but I have no experience with such a thing.

Xiaomeme Note 4 SD625 or Nokia 5? I can get them at about the same price, the decent update promises from HMD are quite attractive and I'm quite interested in the thing lasting at least 3 years with security updates
Which one has a better camera?
Also, do the Note 4 supports adaptable storage? The Nokia's do and it's pretty much must with the current bloat apps have

Note 4 if it's the SD625 version

get the Mi A1, will get similar update support as the Nokia 5 and better camera than either

>the LG is a catch
Non-native english speaker here, what do you mean by this?

LG has shit hardware though. IPS image retention, bootloops, etc.

Not to mention their updates are fucking slow as fuck. The G6 is STILL on the July security patch and we are almost in October. So much for MONTHLY security patches.

Convince me not to buy iPhone 8.

Ive never owned an pole product in my life, only Nokias and androids.

Right now I have a cracked redmi note 3 Pro.

Is nokia making android phones now? I just want a phone that's half an inch thick, has a pure android build like motorola phones, and a 15000 mah battery.

>iPhone 7
>Will get updates until 2020
>worse and worse every update
>only security update
>no features in the third master update

Nice try, faggot!

why do the chinese name their tech companies stupid shit like bluboo, doge and umidigi

are they literally braindead

You still need to go chinkshit for that

If you attract a good girlfriend, sometimes people will say she "is a catch". Kind of like a fishing metaphor. Basically meaning good.

If something "has a catch" then it's typically a bad thing. Like a phone with good specs but bad battery life, the battery life would be "a catch".

If you don't care about a headphone jack I guess it's a great phone. I'm still using a 6S because I don't want to give it up. There's lots of stuff you can't do on iOS that you can on Android, but the limitations can also be beneficial (e.g. apps can't as easily rape your battery life)

Nokia has pure Android (closer to AOSP than Pixel even), but nobody is making thicc phones with ridiculous batteries. Besides some chinkphones, but they don't come with stock Android.

Is there any non-Pixel Android that is as fast and fluid?

>buying a product that is obsolete the moment it hits the shelf

any modern $200+ chink phone with lineageOS

Hey guys, question in hypothetical terms

Is there room for a new smartphone in this crowded market overrun by google/Samsung and Apple?

If someone were to make a phone with their own OS, what would make you buy their phone over others?

I.e. What if someone wants to make a smartphone company to compete against the Americans and Chinks/Gooks

No

My moto G is now 3 years old. I think it's time to replace it. What's a good 200€ - 300€ smartphone ? 4 to 5" screen.

So, my current phone is barely usable and I'm in need of something new. Tried searching mgsm, but it returns me a fuckton of results.

Those are the features, which I'd like to see in my phone:
-5.5" screen (or something close to it, say +- .5")
-lots of custom roms based on clean android available (from what I've heard, all those xiaomi phones running MIUI by default have some problems and terrible battery life on Cyano... *sigh* LineageOS
-either good quality audio output, mini-usb compatible with small DACs (I own FiiO k1) (note that some phones are compatible with it, bun only on stock rom (Note 3, for instance)
-long lasting battery (3500+ ?)
-micro SD slot, preferably with support up to 2TB

That's it. I used to love my Note 2 (which broke after many, many years of service), Moto X Play (which is my current phone) was the best I've ever had - brilliant display, batterly lasting for a whole week with over 6 hours SOT, super comfy, small bezels, great looks overall. Audio was pretty meh, but it was a 9/10 overall. Sadly, the screen broke several months ago, and the replacement that I bought happend to be some chink shit, and now the phone is basically dead. I considered buying the exact same model, but I can only find used ones in questionable condition, for absurdally high price.

I've found ASUS ZenPhone 3 Zoom so far, but the price of 500$ (in my country) kinda sets me off. I don't need those 4 gigs of ram, fast cpu and good camera at all. If I won't find anything better, I'll probably end up buing it though.

Send help, send opinions, send nudes

It's already been confirmed by Apple that iPhone 7 will get ios 14

Hi beautiful people I need some advice regarding what I should buy next, here's what I'd like:

- Fast android updates (very important, my current phone is still stuck on Android 6.0)
- Good battery
- I don't care about the storage, everything I do is cloud-based
- I don't care about the camera either
- If possible, resistant and with a correct lifespan

Source

Lol no.

prove me wrong you can't jit

I just saw the G5 plus and the G5s plus have the same specs. Main difference is the camera.
How are the specs compared to other smartphones ?

I'm tempted to buy in to the Sailfish X (Sailfish OS on Xperia X) if they let me buy it in Canada.

It's pure Linux... well... pure Linux running using a layer of Android drivers for the hardware. The package manager is zypper, and it is for the most part privacy friendly (although no smartphone really is). The thing that is holding me back (besides that it isn't available for a few days) is that I am certain that it will mostly just be a headache after using iOS for a year. iOS "just works", while Sailfish will involve a lot of tinkering. I switched to iOS because I was tired of the tinkering that Android required (for me), but getting away from the Apple/Google duopoly might just be worth it. But my IRC friend keeps telling me that Sailfish is dead and I should just forget about it. The dream lives on though....

Don't buy Asus. They stock their phones chock full of bloatware. Had a Zenfone 2 and ended up creating a script to enable/disable 70+ bloatware apps on every update (had to be enabled for updates to run, disabled when using the phone). The hardware was pretty shitty too, ZF2 had an intel processor which was poorly supported and the power button was an awkward mechanism that pressed a button on the inside of the case.

>fast updates
Google Pixel, Nokia
>If possible, resistant and with a correct lifespan
I don't know what this means. You can search for water resistant phones (IP68) on gsmarena, you'll have to read reviews for build quality impressions.

I think the smartphone market will continue to mirror the PC market in being practically a duopoly (Google and Apple in phones, Microsoft and Apple in PCs). Perhaps some niche OS will spring up like Linux / ChromeOS are in the PC market, SailfishOS possibly, but nothing that will challenge the two main players.

The thing with smartphone OS's is that you really need apps for your platform to succeed and if you're a new player there's really no incentive for companies to develop apps for your platform. I don't see what company would succeed in entering this market when even Microsoft and Nokia and Blackberry failed.

If I want to be a big Jew, what are my options exactly?

Just my options, I don't need answers

Bloatware doesn't bother me, as I would install a custom rom anyways. Thanks for the info about quality. Seems like ASUS went to shit last years

Just get a Redmi Note 4 and put LineageOS on it. Alternatively Moto Z Play or Z2 Play, use a battery motomod if the stock capacity isn't enough

Iphones get five major ios updates. Iphone 7 is on its second

I was going to unlock the bootloader and flash CM (as it was called at the time) but there was a section in the literature that said how it would void your warranty. Combined with reports of phones suddenly dying after being plugged into a PC I didn't want to risk it. I eventually just sold it to someone who later said that they like the phone.

Why all smartphones have fingerprint sensors now ? what the fuck ?

Congrats?

That's pretty fucking far from
>already been confirmed by Apple that iPhone 7 will get ios 14

convenience and security.

It's convenient and helps you act out the biblical story of Lot and his daughters. Just get your dad drunk and then use his fingerprint to unlock his phone.

>reports of phones suddenly dying after being plugged into a PC
Huh. I usually don't care about warranty - it's usually useless in my country, and even if it was - I'd rather take the risk and unlock bootloader anyways.
I've also though about some of the new Moto... *sigh* Lenovo phones, but all of them have shitty screens (I'd take good IPS over amoled every day) and ridiculous bezels. I have no idea what went so wrong after Moto X Play.
Yeah, I know that mentioned ASUS is amoled too.

what is the Note 8?

Ok i fugged up my recovery partition and now i cant get into it, although the rom is working flawlessly i dont want to end up with a brick in case i need it.
What to do?

Now that's some retarded english, should've read it twice before posting. Sorry.

flash the recovery image again?

And is there a non retarded company that release a smartphone without this shit ?

Curiously, the first time i did it the TWRP worked flawlessly although it fucked my rom somehow.
Now i cant touch the stock recovery or TWRP, which is strange because i factory resetted the fucked up rom with the stock recovery after TWRP fucked up the rom

take apart the phone and remove the scanner yourself

Looking for buying advice. This will be my first smartphone.

>country

USA

>carrier

T-Mobile

>features

Decent all-rounder with great camera. Ideally with SD slot and non-shit battery life

>budget

Ideally under $350, but would go up a bit more for something significantly better

>size.

5 - 5.7"

Moto G5S Plus

moto

z5 compact