I wanna go balls deep with linux. I want that shit all over me. Thing is, i've never used it...

I wanna go balls deep with linux. I want that shit all over me. Thing is, i've never used it. All i know is that it's slightly better than Windows and macOS in terms of spyware and what not. Where do i get started Sup Forums ?

start with gentoo

this. objectively the best place to start

>I wanna go balls deep with linux.
why would you do that? just try out distros and DEs inside vm without fucking shit up

start with one of the plethora of handholding distros if you're the type of person to tinker a lot and likes find out how stuff works

otherwise try something where you're forced to learn it anyway, like arch or slackware

>arch
its like 5 commands to install, doesnt teach you much desu

Ignore these faggots:
This guy gets it: Gentoo is autist neckbeard garbage. Systems that insist you install them by hand and give a shit about how things are compiled are bullshit in the current year.

You can't go wrong with Ubuntu as a starting point. Simple to use, still Linux so you can do the neckbeardy stuff when you're ready for it.

I misread the first setence, I thought you wrote that you wanted to go balls deep with Linus.

>I want to try it out
Install Ubuntu

>I want to go balls deep and understand everything about the OS from the ground up and be able to mess with it and modify it substantially
Linux From Scratch

>ubuntu
WRONG
Linux Mint is the way to go.
>easy to use
>easy to make beautiful
>made for those transitioning from windows and OSX

>I wanna go balls deep with linux.
oh you want to be a super hacker, do you?

get a usb thumb drive and put a linux live OS on it. you'll need a program to create the usb into a workable state. but it's available on google.

then you can boot linux off a usb stick when you start your computer. and play with the terminal and shit. you know, like GOD.

It's not that hard, just install it. there are guides for everything. Don't waste time theorizing

>google
Fuck off

Listen to this guy

(I wouldn't call that stuff "bullshit" per se, but he's right about Gentoo being horrible for a beginner)

i have adnauseam installed its cool we're cool, g

Install Gentoo.

Install Linux Mint in a VM. Seriously.

i've read that gentoo is a pretty shitty starting point. Seen alot of negative reviews about it but i don't know. And thanks for the suggestions

I'm no longer interested in my current OS, which is W7. I've been wanting to change it up for a while now and i really dislike VM. But thank you for the reply

Yes i was thinking about arch, but i don't wanna fuck shit up. I guess that would still mean i'm forced to use a VM

I've heard Ubuntu is pretty solid for beginners. Thanks

Who doesn't want that?

Gentoo is quite good for beginners actually.

I should add that i do a lot of software and web developing if that helps.

>i've read that gentoo is a pretty shitty starting point. Seen alot of negative reviews
yeah they always try and ATTACK the fucking coolest and sweetest option so they can subvert the goyim. install gentoo.

Manjaro i3 is the patrician choice.

Just install Ubuntu, m8. It's as easy as plugging in a USB flash drive.

From the guys that mismanage their security so badly that that ask their users to set their dates back so they can install packages? No thanks.

If you're not a fan of the Unity UI (many are not), there's a spin called Budgie Remix that's actually quite solid. The Ubuntu "remixes" are all more or less official, but stay away from Ubuntu forks like Mint. You're using a fork of a fork at that point.

OP, IM YOU FROM THE FUTURE POSTING WITH SOME GREAT ADVICE-

USE BSD INSTEAD (FREEBSD IS COOL)
USE BSD INSTEAD (FREEBSD IS COOL)

Install Gentoo.

>Yes i was thinking about arch, but i don't wanna fuck shit up. I guess that would still mean i'm forced to use a VM
It's okay to fuck things up. try not to but it's okay if you do.

Arch is a really good starting point because there's so much documentation which is REALLY useful for beginners. It's also difficult in all the right ways, forcing you to learn the ins and outs of linux, rather than other linux distros like Ubuntu that aren't difficult at all but you're never pushed to learn linux in using it.

I have a morning ritual that I need to share. I call it "the hackerman". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked hackerman traveling through time" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing either Mr.Robot or the guy from the second season (not the chick in the third one because that one sucked) and I start to hum the hackerman theme. Then I slowly rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my hackerman leg. It ruins the fantasy.

Pic related is you, after you download Ubuntu.

Just remember, once you've installed your new OS to remove windows afterwards and the benefits of linux is you can do everything from the command line, so just copy and paste this in and you're good to go.

If you want to go back to windows after you've tried Ubuntu
> rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Also, to get the command line to draw a smiley face
> :(){ :|: & };:

don't d oit this makes crystals.

Arch just werks more so than any Linux distribution.

Gentoo is annoying because you have to deal with USEFLAGS and compiling everything from source.

Arch could be good for a beginner if they really do want to learn. makes a good point

Oh, and ignore > rm -rf / --no-preserve-root
That will delete everything it can, which will be at least your Linux drive, and any other drives that are currently mounted.

> :(){ :|: & };:
That's a fork bomb that spawns a fuckton of threads exponentially until your system crashes.

manjaro is good for beginners. Easy to install, just works out of the box, pamac works nice and you will be using something based on Arch.
Move to arch with some wm when you get ready and don't listen those gentoofags if you want productivity over autism

>productivity
>arch

are there any downsides if I keep all my media hdds as ntfs? it'd be a bitch to transfer everything to format them.

I partially agree, USE flags are Gentoo's biggest strength and biggest weakness at the same time.

fragmentation

some programs wont load stuff off an NTFS drive on linux

proprietary

otherwise no

>Systems that insist you install them by hand and give a shit about how things are compiled are bullshit in the current year.

this. ain't nobody got time fo dat

>knows nothing about linux
>wants to dive head first into it
>wants others to hold his hand
stupid fucking frogs

>mad about spoonfeeding.

I'm going to give away the game right fucking now

THE HOLY TRINITY
Gentoo
Arch
FreeBSD

Linux is great and all but I'm not sure if I'd consider having sex with it.

I mean, if a sex robot's brain is linux based I guess in a way I'd be fucking linux by fucking the bot.

your instincts are correct. if you use grub, you sold your soul. because you're married to GPL.

I'm mad about garbage threads started by frogs that we have day after day, not spoonfeeding.

Arch Linux.
Mint is bloated shit
Gentoo is fake and gay
Ubuntu is kill
Debian is actually pretty good I just don't really like it, I've been using arch for years and care to switch
Everything else is probably gay

Best thing to go balls deep is to fuck all the disk in your first installation, then the only way of reconecting to the Internet is thru linux-gnu
That's how I went balls deep btw

Try Linux from scratch or gentoo