/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/newsstand/s/CBIww8HXjTY
youtube.com/watch?v=-HbbW08MeGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for thiccpad

2nd for desktop replacement

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

What about the P-series?

Ordered t470p, how fucked am I? Got the qwhd screen.

Post your thinkpad desktop RIGHT NOW or i'll post that fucking sweaty tom hanks

The P series is basically the new W series. They're very powerful, but also suffer from the modern design changes of recent ThinkPads.

t. former P50 owner

what's the best thinkpad for a third world poorfag like me?

T430/X230 and earlier.

Is there anything like this, but for a cardbus slot?

As someone who's owned a T60, T400, T510 and P51 I havent "suffered" at all from the design changes. This thread is cancer.

The *NEW* Retro thinkpad looks amazingly!

Shitty

Welcome to Sup Forums

Where we worship the old "Chinkpads" but look down on the much better modern "Chinkpads".
We are all poor and jealous you see.

Why is it so God damn hard to get the screen out of my T530? I can't even remove the screw covers.

lenovo outlet has great deals sometimes

the screw covers are essentially stickers, you need a think metallic poking object to pry them off......how are you gonna replace the screen with all the wires and shit glued to the top cover? I tried on my T510 and it was way too much of a pain in the ass

Best old models, coming through!

Honk honk!

>using windows ecks dee

>using anything else on a laptop from 2003

Will I regret buying a x270?

I don't know, I was just following the lelnovo assembly guide. I didn't even get past tyke first part. I have a spare 1080 screen I wanted to put in place of the 900 I have now

>not using linux which runs on a fucking toaster

Fuck out of here weeb,

I have the 6300 Ultimate N wifi card in my T420. I just upgraded to a WRT1900AC router. I want an AC wifi card for the T420. N is slow dog shit.

Will the Intel 7260 AC work in the T420? Will there be any issues running Ubuntu with this card?

Jk, I know this is an anime website.

I need to get a cheap thinkpad for taking notes in school, what do I get?

>inb4 buyers guide

obviously the transnote user

>implying there would be any benefit from using linux on a machine that is only capable of era programs for windows and web browsing
all i use it for is autocad and Sup Forums
autocad wont work on linux, and Sup Forums only need firefox which runs fine on XP

I WANT A GODDAMN X60

Thinkpad or something else for this?
>great IPS screen
>no numpad
>great battery life
>Linux works in it
>less plastic the better, metal can be recycled after the end of its lifespan
I'm talking about new and not used models. I'm also thinking about maybe holding out for Ryzen APU, but I would like suggestions anyway. Maybe that model would later come with Ryzen anyway, who knows?

But why?

because some retarded starbucks trampled his earlier

>The feels

New model ThinkPads arent the best to get. For new hardware, it's hard to beat a MacBook Pro.

Just kidding, get an HP Elitebook or an LG Gram

>WinXP
>using firefox
Opera is the best browser for WinXP.

Honestly, my X1 Carbon (4th) was a great purchase. Still a relatively great keyboard, solid construction, a decent screen, and only weighing in at around a kilogram. The specs are great and distributions of Linux like Debian, Arch, and Fedora all run fine with everything but the fingerprint sensor being supporged.

Fellas? google.com/newsstand/s/CBIww8HXjTY

which NEW thinkpad has the best cpu?

>"i7" ulv shit
>dgpu and a shit one at that
yeah it's trash, based lenovo

T440s is only getting 6 hours with 6 cell+3 cell internal battery. Is the official Lenovo battery worth it. This thing is supposed to get 10 hours easy of battery.

I ordered an x200 cheap from amazon but it didn't list screen resolution or type of screen

what's the best screen for the x200 I can buy? like with the t420 you can get a 1080p screen from the manufacturer for pretty cheap. is there something like that for the x200? as in like highest res possible and IPS?

>like with the t420 you can get a 1080p screen from the manufacturer for pretty cheap

where to buy 1080p screen for t420 pls?

Made this for you boys, did I do good?
Just an experiment, learning GIMP.

or maybe it was the t520

if I don't care about the modern hardware can I just buy whatever screen those chinks use to make the x62 and put it in an x61

Is the screen on the T430 really really unironically no-meme bad? Because I'm about to buy one and I heard replacing it is tougher than on the T420 and I don't want the hassle anyway. Is it usable at all?

What do u consider a good price for a W520 and W530?

Hate to be a dumb fuck on the subject, but what is that in the first place? Can't quite seem to get the right words for it on google.

Ahahahahaha! Saved!

That's an expresscard blank/spacer. Goes in the expresscard slot, but doesn't actually use the connector.
I did find one by the way, Dell's pretty good with this shit.

It is the same as bad as the T420. You can upgrade the T440 and up. Idk about the X series.

youtube.com/watch?v=-HbbW08MeGQ

I've been looking at that tablet one. How sturdy is the hinge?

So, Dell threw some swiss army card in the EC slot to act as a dust cover. Looking up what I recently bought, seems my W520 that should arrive tomorrow also has this one. Anything good you can put into there?

W520 is expresscard, which is the first one I posted so... you could get that from eBay. The only other things that are really useful are USB 3.0 ports and there are some SSDs that go in there. Also useful for eGPU setups.

What are your battery lifes W series owners? I'm only getting 2houurs on linux

Nice meme

My W530 has a 9-cell with about 85% original capacity. It gets about 2 hours in Linux and 4 hours in Windows.

Sounds great. Can't wait to have my heavy lifter arrive. It'll need a bit of cleaning, a new sticker or two, and probably a replacement palmrest assembly. My biggest issue is getting my hands on one of those stickers, and probably a replacement battery if this one isn't quite up to par. I only spent about 255 dollars on it, so I can't quite complain for getting a little project to fix up.

>thinkpad
>Great Screen
Dell XPS or HP Elitebook with a Dreamcolour display.

W500 from here, I get about (at max) 5 hours on Debian with a brand new 9-cell. At least 4 if I'm watching videos or something.

>tfw usps shipped your processor
oh boi can't wait

would it be autistic to get a new palmrest because one of the screen lock latch is broken

Sounds about right.

How? Are you turning off your extra cores and disabling discrete graphics? I'm assuming you have a quad core cpu + quadro gpu like I do.

Is there really anything wrong with the X240? I know people don't like it because of the trackpad, but is there anything ELSE wrong with it?

Use TLP properly, and don't use discrete graphics. Also, dual core! Would be using a quad if Libreboot supported it.

>don't use discrete graphics. Also, dual core!
Thought so. If if I limit the cpu to 2 cores and disable gpu I can push 4-5 hhours as well.

What resolution do you think this x201 is? 1280x800 or 1440x900? The guy I'm buying it from is selling it for his boss and doesn't want to bother him about it.

I made this comfy scale for you newbies.

It's quite good. It also rotates 360 degrees, which later models (I think starting with the X201 or X220) don't.

It's a compromise my dude.

>1280x800

This.

My W530 is starting to overheat as I play games.
Had this thing for 5 years. Been 3 years since the motherboard was changed, put arctic silver in.
I don't have any equipment to remove the stripped screws so I can blow out the fan.

fuck yes

>Comfy

This fucker also removed the logos :(

Can I get stickers for this or it's really hard? I don't know if these are the same size.

thanks~

>80C idle temps
>comfy

X220 looks comfy af

I'm getting one

What kind of monster does something like that

I bet he was the kid who took the stickers off of his gameboy games

T420 is most comfy. X220 a cute

Something like this? aliexpress.com/item/benis/32812491995.html dunno if it's the same size though.

I love you, didn't even think about Aliexpress.

Should I get a x201 or x220?

I'm thinking x220.

x201, better aspect ratio

Got a T430 for 70$ , seemed sketchy, what do you guys think? Did i fuck up? That had well over 10 and still have some i think

TL;DR got a T430 for 70$ pic very related

>as5
mx-4 is better :^)

>The battery will accept and hold a charge - but the discharge time may be just a few minutes.

10 minute battery life, kek.

Worth it to me then, was gonna get a bigger battery anyway

plrasoe responfg

what screen should I buy for an x200 to maximize resolution? and also have it be ips?

>x200
you're stuck to TN 1280x800 forever

>tfw X200 tablet with 1280x800 IPS coziness

hello... again...

has anyone here had an ultra bay battery?

AAAAAH WHY

It's an ass resolution still but where do I get that anyway

It's an amazing resolution for a 12" laptop