GNOME shell extension devs are abandoning GNOME

Global menu items extension got abandoned:
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/gnome-global-menu-extension-discontinued

>GNOME removes system trays
>Tells users to rely on Topiconplus
Topiconplus dev abandons his extensions
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/top-icons-plus-development-paused

>His words:
“The Gnome project does not give a sh*t about it and made it public. They even don’t point to this extension but to an outdated, unmaintained one. Besides, Ubuntu, after making a survey, also moves on with its own extension,”

Time to move to Cinnamon. Or wait for Budgie-Qt

Other urls found in this thread:

budgie-desktop.org/2017/01/25/kicking-off-budgie-11/
github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

so the exact same shit that happened with gnome 3 themes, i'm shocked

I hope KDE keeps going strong and keeps improving.

It's already my favourite DE by far but it could definitely be better.

Haha Pajeets

I use Mac OS High Sierra crafted by white Apple engineers

wasn't KDE facing some issues too? I remember that some months ago

typical linux. 100 flavors and they are all variations of poo. People who think linux hobbyists want it to succeed need to face reality. THEY WANT IT TO REMAIN OBSCURE AND HARD TO USE!

why are people too retarded to just use XFCE
It's so customizable and the devs aren't nearly as retarded as the GNOME devs.

This is the ultimate truth and why gnutards trash Ubuntu for actually being successful and trying to make a usable OS.

Sup Forums is still pushing hard the supposed unstability of KDE, even though they rely on the state of it from 2011

Antergos, Ubuntu and Mint are all it just weeks tier

Their really only a few steps away from Windows 7 in terms of usability

Personally it's been more of Nvidia issues, but that was a few months ago I haven't tried again

it just werks until it completely doesn't and then you are in repo dependency hell searching for hacked packages to make wifi work or get a driver working. linux has a glass floor problem

i'm still using almost only gtk2 programs
gnome3 has been a joke since the start

> and then you are in repo dependency hell searching for hacked packages to make wifi work or get a driver working
Literally has never happened to me

How do people fuck up like this so hard?

>Muh bloat software was written by morons

Color me surprised.

you're very smart for having linux work with your hardware natively.

>how do people fuck up this hard
they buy anything that doesn't have native support. which is less now but still a problem

why would someone buy hardware not supported by the os they use?

because they don't know thats even an issue in the first place

>100 flavors
Nah, there's mainly gtk DEs and Qt DEs. No where near 100

>you're very smart for having linux work with your hardware natively.
wtf lmao my 14 y/o brother can install most of the distros in his PC. Are you retarded?

what about all the old stuff that still works sorta like twm. I know they aren't DE but gnome is so featureless can it even be called desktop environment accurately?

you're very smart for installing linux kid. welcome to the smart people club

>I know they aren't DE but gnome is so featureless can it even be called desktop environment accurately?
Damn. You have a fair point.

GNOME 3 is a bigger joke than KDE 4.

>tfw KDE will always be too ugly for me to use

why do so many peasants try to mix and match distros with DEs
just get a distro that has a good default DE, that way the experience is always polished

My only issue with kde (besides stability which has gotten better lately) is the lack of gvfs.

I think they have improved a lot on the defaults to address this, but I always spend a few minutes tweaking everything to my liking on a new install.
Don't know a system I wouldn't do that with though.

Never used that API, what is the compelling reason to use it over KIO?

Why the fuck does anyone not use Cinnamon, it's literally perfect and just works

>gnome is so featureless can it even be called desktop environment accurately
If gnome has, let's say, UI for setting Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth, keyboard layoit switcher, automatical mounting of such things like USB drives, sound volume tune, battery management (for laptops) and such, and this all is out of the box, it can be called DE.
Maybe it's strange definition, but in my opinion, if you don't have to set these things up, you have a full-fledged desktop environment with convenient integrated features for the end user.

Thats why some guys hacked mint website. To hit its reputation.
Because mint is a danger for people who want linux remain obscure and hard to use.

Thats why Sup Forums hates mint.

>wifi drivers
Literally only happens when they haven't autism'd the firmware in yet or you're using debian

xfce is best de.

2016 more like. 5.8 and on are decent.

only people already using linux would care about its rep though. flawed reasoning

GNOME is shit but it's the best shit with've got. It's either GNOME or a Windows DE rip offs made by 12 years old. No wonder that people are falling fot TWM meme.

>he compares WMs to DEs

welcome to the redhat takeover

most people have learned to ignore "it's good now" since it's said ever major release
explain why it's better or don't even bother

That's bullshit.
Ppl bash ubuntu for 2 things.
1)Upstream and eco-system fragmentation.
2) indexing users and selling data to amazon

The problem with ubuntu is thst it doens't offer anything to linux. They try to fragment it with various failures, mir, unity e.t.c., instead of putting some effort in contributing to existing projects, wayland, gnome, mate, xfce, cinnamon, etc.
Many developers also have to deal with tech illiterates and lazy fatasses who force ubuntu into dev projects.
There are a million reasons to not use ubuntu in anything than a simple desktop and browsing machine, but you have to deal with its stupidity, because the nufag thinks that a subset of debian unstable is good for stable work.

I never had a problem with atheros chips

Unity was the best desktop environment for Linux. I agree that Mir, etc...were stupid wastes of time and resources.

Cinnamon is genuinely good

gnome-devs of v2 days: please let it die, and come home to kde5

Gnome was intended to give GNU/Linux users and businesses a usable, standard desktop with free software license (GPL) instead of KDE. Icaza etc became famous thanks to it.

Once they forgot the historical reason they exist and did things like relying to MS .NET (Mono), udev etc., it became meaningless.

Ubuntu's own stupid decision to change everything to run same GUI on phone, desktop etc and failing gave a surprise last chance to Gnome and yet they seem to ignore it too.

Nobody should be surprised by this, it's only the exact same thing those assholes have been doing over and over again since 2011.

I abandoned GNOME as soon as GNOME 3 was first released and never looked back. To be honest I should have abandoned it years sooner than that.

KDE API for extensions is poorly documented, I wis we could grab some extensions dev to work for us, there are so much things that could be done in Plasma, even some Gnomish clone if needed.

KDialog > GTKfilechooser
Hell, even the stock file picker that QT comes with is better than GTKfilechooser. I wish firefox was compatible with KDialog already.

I've been using Ubuntu 17.10.

Pros:
Nicer looking than Unity
Wayland works great

Cons:
No global menu
No maximize to hide the title bar
Dock behavior was better in Unity
No way to install Gnome extensions

The only thing I knock Ubuntu for is the Amazon thing and the silly name.

I'm in that camp honestly. It's bad enough that this place is just DE faggotry day in-day out. I can't imagine what a pile of GUI shit linux would turn into if it ever became mainstream.

Look at MacOS and Windows, do you really want those low IQ retards fucking up linux even more by making it easier and by easier, more restrictive?

Gnome is doing that just fine by themselves.

I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

It is my hope that you are a GNOME app...

The bug report for kdialog support was marked wontfix yeats ago :^)
Using platform native file picker is apparently bloat.

Gnome 3 has always been a bloated, featureless DE that has only been viable and usable thanks to third-party extensions that add in core features. TopIcons Plus has always been one of those core, essential features. And now these extensions are dropping like flies one by one.

What will Gnome fags do now?

Jesus Christ

Switch to Cinnamon

>Time to move to Cinnamon.
>why are people too retarded to just use XFCE
>Why the fuck does anyone not use Cinnamon, it's literally perfect and just works
>xfce is best de.
>Cinnamon is genuinely good
>Switch to Cinnamon

These still have a common problem in that they rely on the Gnome Toolkit (GTK), which is obviously under the control of the Gnome / Red Hat devs. Cinnamon is even a fork of Gnome.

Just accept it. Gnome, GTK, and Red Hat are all a cancer on Linux. Qt is the correct way to go. KDE Plasma, Budgie-Qt, and LXQt are all acceptable.

>Or wait for Budgie-Qt
This.

>vaporware

>if it doesn't look like unity had a miscarriage, it's literally binbows

>>tfw KDE will always be too ugly for me to use
This is sad because KDE Plasma is actually the best looking, most configurable, and most fully-featured DE out there, while even being much more efficient than Gnome with system resources. I do agree that out of the box Plasma looks bad with its strange default settings, but it looks great if you put in some time to rice it a bit. You should try it out properly and not let the defaults put you off it.

Basically, the choices are like this:
>Full featured DE: KDE Plasma, with Qt programs
>More minimal DE: Budgie-Qt, LXQt, with Qt programs
>Very minimal: Tiling window manager, with terminal programs
>Retard: Gnome

as far as "full", "heavy" DE's go, i would have to recommend MATE (gnome2 continuation)

this, MATE and xfce are comfy

Cinnamon is gnomeshell based though

LXQT will be the best DE ever

I'm on part of Gnome this time.

If we keep adding stuff that isn't really necessary we will end with something Unity-like, bloated and unstable.

the power of freedom

Ok I'll try it again

What kind of look are you going for exactly?

>Budgie-Qt
I've never heard of this before, how does it look?

It's not done yet. But it should look just like Budgie.

Budgie-Qt is really just Budgie. For the next version, Budgie 11, they're switching from Gnome/GTK to a Qt base. For exactly the same reason as everyone else: because Gnome/GTK is cancer.

I like this.

budgie-desktop.org/2017/01/25/kicking-off-budgie-11/

github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling

This is outright retarded.

Thanks

Gnome is OK.
KDE is OK.
XFCE is OK.
Mate is OK.
Cinnamon is OK.
Unity is OK(?).

On other hand you guys are bunch of cocks tied together. Stop whining niggers and do it better if you can.

This is what happens to babby ricer environments. Anybody looking for a boring (as in no surprise) experience should just have stayed with boring software like KDE, XFCE or some WM+Taskbar setup like *Box and tint2.

Until you guys grow out of your ricer fancy looking design bullshit expect this shit to happen.

GTK IS DED

I always knew gnome devs were idiots, but holy shit

Not hard to figure out why since people use shitty distros.

>GNOME becomes so shit it chases everyone from GTK to QT
It's like they forgot why GTK exists in the first place.

ubuntu sided with this thing instead of kde gz

>mir
Only happened because wayland devs basically halted wayland development at that point. Only with mir announcement they started to actually work on wayland, together with writing angry rant about evil canonical.

>No way to install Gnome extensions
whaaat? If that's true Canonical are idiots.

They removed the options from the tweak tool.

>switch to cinnamon
cinnamon shills will defend this
and its extensions break too

When is gtk going to stop having fuckhuge empty space at the top of dropdown?

and why is it user?

Was just about to say, gtk has random empty space EVERYWHERE. Enforced retardedly hueg margins for no fucking reason, even in the decorations.

theres still useless fuckhuge padding on the folders without eject buttons

I think he's implying the text shouldn't be cut off when there is so much space.

That depends on your theme

>I think he's implying the text shouldn't be cut off when there is so much space.
Drag it if you really have to, I don't think that looks all that good. I don't really think it's anything noticeable

>2017
>Not using KDE, the most complete DE, with full customization and lots of beautiful themes.
>Judging DE by default Breeze theme, which is not made too look the best, but being the most compatible
>Implying that Adwaita is better
>Not wanting to have an actual controls to use your application the way YOU want and still calling yourself a GNU/Linux user
That's why you won't have pretty thing, you don't give a fuck about perfect software but opt to DE that's barebones as fuck and forces an usage paradigm on you.