Intel officially announced 8th-generation desktop Core processors

anandtech.com/show/11869/intel-announces-8th-generation-coffee-lake-hex-core-desktop-processors

J U S T

>95w TDP
>With jewish semen as TIM

I'm surprised the 8700k is only $350
Thought they needed 40% margins.

What's with the lower base freq

Gonna be honest, if I can run all 6 cores at 5.0ghz+ I'll buy it
I have a custom loop, so the 300watts won't be an issue.

And prices here, they don't seem too bad.

remind me again how much a 1600 costs?

What's the socket?

Around $210 it seems.

>that TDP increases
I thought intels job was always improving on power efficiently? have they just giving up?

SHUT UP

i3-8100 looks great as in cheap decent CPU, but
>z370 mobos only in 2017, cheap ones next year
what the fuck intel?

1151, but it's not compatible with 1xx and 2xx mobos

>keep in mind that these prices are per chip in a 1000 unit order; actual retail prices will be several percent higher still. So don't be surprised to see the 8700K closing in on $400 at retail.

Just don't overclock now.
Please don't overclock...

Obviously they'll launch higher, that's what always happens. If I wanted a 1700 at launch I'd be paying >€350 as well, now I can get one for 50 less.

Big if, but I hear ya.
Can the heat get out?

>Intel chip
>Not overclocking

Probably only when delidded.

jewtim

I hazard anyone dumb enough to buy these cpus is going to end up with a bad case of buyers remorse.

how good was their previous 6 core on OC on all cores again?
yeah about that good will be the 8700k

So that's ~4.7GHz on all cores not delidded. Not bad.

Wait... who is buying this? At these prices, you can get an 8/16 Ryzen chip which will do better in productivity scenarios, and gayman don't give a shit about multi-core, only single threaded.

Why would you buy this over a 1700 if you needed productivity? Why would you buy the 8700k over the 8600k if you were gayman?

Nope. It's only on one core. It's Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 so it will have different stages on turbos for different cores. And only one core boosts to that maximum 4.7GHz.

probably 4.4 4.5ghz if you are lucky on all cores

Why do you think I was talking about turbo? Their previous 6 core, like you mentioned, is the 7800X and it reached >4.6. Do you really want me to copy all the review links saying so here?

>4.7GHz vs 3.7
I wonder.

But that’s it, it doesn’t do 4.7 across all 12 threads, or at least we don’t know if it can yet. 16 3.8 threads > 12 4.xx threads, surely?

ofc it cant intel never gives the maximum boost to all cores what so ever

Intel has better IPC, so yes it does.

Then why does the 6800k match up with an R5 1600? Intel’s IPC isn’t that much higher.

THANK YOU AMD FOR FORCING INTEL TO MAKE 4/4 THE MINIMUM

AMD still has 8/16 for i7 price in multicores
yeha i know lower ipc, but at 16+ cores and same price its kinda not important.

Over clocked, yes. It was stock 4.0. This should be able to get up there, with massive heat as a result. Up to 200w.

Isn't the IPC difference lesser than 5% anyway? Those housefires will obviously be better in single threaded, but it remains to be seen how bad will they throttle otherwise.

My z170 mobo is already dead just after 2 years and Z270 owners get cucked harder.

GG Fuck Jewtel

>yeha i know lower ipc
No. Lower frequency.

7800x is not ringbus. 8700k will be hotter

Broadwell was just a Haswell die shrink, and the 6800k did beat it.

>Over clocked, yes
That's literally what we were talking about you retard.
>Up to 200w
lol, do you think Ryzen does better?

is prime95 indicative of the normal tdp under oc?

Yes, the benchmarks we have place 8700k between the 1600 and 1600x in multicore. There's just no way they can go over 4ghz all core stock with the tdp numbers the specified.

Now if you overclock the 8700k to above 4.5, that should be about equal to a ryzen 8core, but that's at much higher cost too. More expensive cpu, mobo and especially a gamiant cooler for that 200w heat output.

>lol, do you think Ryzen does better?
Yeah. All their Cpus are under 95w stock, and no one is suggesting people push ryzen to the voltage wall at 3.9-4.1.

>200W
My Haswell is on max turbo undervolted. 60W. Intel gives their chips insane voltage in turbo, but they don't need it.

The 1700 is still faster in multithreaded tasks. 16t > 12t

I'd take the 8700k and I encode all day long.
Single-threaded still rules.

>he's willing to pay a massive premium for slightly better performance in some situations

Fools and their money, right?

>some
Name a multithreaded one.

Still wrong.

7800X reaches 4.0GHz clock speed using Intel Turbo boost Technology 2.0 which boosts two cores up to that 4.0GHz. NOT ALL SIX CORES!

The stock clock speed of 7800X is 3.50GHz. Now how 8700K achieves that 4.6GHz overclock with only 95 TDP is using Intel Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 (not 2.0) which boosts two cores little higher than stock clock and one core to the max (which in this case is 4.6GHz).

Trust me when I say that it's going to be years before we see 6 core LGA1151 socket processors at 4.6GHz stable on all cores. If we even ever reach that with LGA1151.

Go ahead, waste your money.
Browsing, multitasking, games... Most thing acctually. Here's a revolutionary idea - if something is single threaded, you can run more of them at once.

>Browsing
No
>multitasking
No.
>games
No.

Try again.

Honestly the 8100 could have been a decent alternative to the R3, but
>not compatible with old 1151 motherboards
Fuck them.

There's also ONLY Z370 boards for the rest of the year.
B360/H310 comes early next year right in time for Pinnacle Ridge to land and murder.

still no reason to upgrade from sandy bridge

Yes and it sucks compared to the 7700k

Now the 7700k gets two more cores and the only reason to get 1600 is if you're a poorfag on a tight budget

You don't do any of that? OK then. Most people do them though.

>it sucks compared to the 7700k
In the most single threaded games, yes. Now that only matters for 120+hz.
And the 7700k sucks in everything else except photoshop which is single thread too.

And most people are on a budget. Spending more on the gpu is better for games.

And a lot of people who can afford, and want to spend more care about other things than muh gaymes.

They're not multithreaded.
Try again.

All major browsers are heavily multithreaded.
Multitasking is by definition multithreaded.
The vast majority of games are multithreaded, the question is how well.

Hopefully, keyed different or we are going to heard more "horror" stories from ignorant people trying to get these chips working on older motherboards or vice versa.

You realize that single-threaded performance doesn't matter that much outside of legacy application and certain niches?

The IPC difference between Zen and the Skylake family (assuming clockspeed) is pretty small. The only reason that Skylake and its younger siblings are "faster" at single-thread by a noticeable margin is because of clockspeed.

Zen is limited to 4.1-4.3Ghz while Skylake siblings can easily go beyond that until 4.7Ghz where it starts becoming dicey to push further due to voltage/thermals.

>All major browsers are heavily multithreaded.
They have some offloading, but they're still single-thread limited
>Multitasking is by definition multithreaded.
Doesn't mean it uses any CPU, moron. I have 11 programs and 15 tabs open. The highest outside the two encoding tasks is uTorrent at 0.7% CPU.

>You realize that single-threaded performance doesn't matter that much outside of legacy application and certain niches?
Wrong, it makes all the difference in pretty much everything.

Why is there never a 5820K showing up in the benchmarks? Does anyone have one with 4.3 GHz?

This sends chills down my spine
I really hope Zen2 will kick arse

Intel can keep shitting out all these fucking overpriced shit processors, the only winners are the poorfags like me waiting on a change to buy "old" or "obsolete" processors intel drones sell cheap to flock and buy the newest core ishit.

I paid $75 for both the mobo & processor, shit's so cash... FEELSGUDMENG.png

Jesus imagine if it went off. Rip dick.

Which one? I paid less than 60 € for a H61 board and i5-3550. It has 10 % less performance than current i5s.

Also switched to a 5820K on my main station when Broadwell released. There were retards who bought their stuff new then. I've had Ryzens performance for a similar affordable price for years.

Even new, the HEDT processors are always the better choice. At least the old ones, X299 is a fucking oven.

>Gayming manchild confirmed

If single-threaded performance matters so bloody much then why Intel is losing its shit over Threadripper and Epyc? Hell, why bother releasing Coffee Lake if mid-range Kaby Lake can outperform any of the Ryzen SKUs in single-threaded stuff?

MEGAHURTZ/IPC IS STILL DA KINGZ YO.

>why advance even more in single-threaded performance?
Because they've been doing that since the 8086

Not so much anymore. Physics put an end to that road back a decade ago. We have been living parallelism age since then.

HPC and enterprise is all about having many cores you can cram into the rackspace barring thermal and power consumption.

Before Intel hit the limits of Dennard scaling with NetBurst.
Yes, that happened.

Then tell me how does a 1600X rival a 4.7GHz 6core? Intels ipc seems decreased

It doesn't.

Yes it does.

is it bingbus or meshbingubus?

RINGBUS

Sure.

go home retards there is literally no noticeable performance difference between haswell and kaby lake unless you run a server.

he is right though, 6 core i9 is dead in the water, 8 core barely functional and 10 core too expensive
it's amazing how much revisionism/shilling going on right before new generation compared to how intel was laughed out of the competition this summer

OVERPRICED STUTTERFIRES

Hey look, it's this faggot again.

Moar cores?

samefag

Thats Hella lucky. In my area people overvalued their builds like mad, no chance you'd get a 6c+mobo for under 500 used. Ryzen saved me.

No. Intel can't make a above 4ghz all core cpu (stock) with the power limits.

Wow, finally time to upgrade my 2600k. Seema like “le intel quad core XD” meme is over.
Glad I didn’t hop on the ryzen hype bus. The only flaw with these chips seem to be the TIM.

>7700k conveniently not overclocked in that graph

So the 8700k doesn't go 4.7GHz all cores?

I’d much rather have a 4c/8t as i5 instead of 6c/6t... I feel like those i5s are going to perform horrible in games...

Hyperthreading maxes at around 25% gain.

No, absolutely not. Look at the 6c skylake-x, it will be similar clocks.

Multithreading gives about 25% for Intel. So a 6c/6t will be faster than a 4c/8t in multithreaded.

>400Mhz lower base clock for the 8700K

Lmao

Then they advertise that single core boost as though it's all cores.

is he wrong?

I thought the bingbus was fine

>s-samefag
t. jew

I didn't see any 1440p or $K stats though, I know it makes a difference at those resolutions, but for 1080p at least, the charts show it's been better to upgrade GPUs since 2000

>don't seem too bad

kek read your own chart, those prices are for 1k batches for resellers. msrp is gonna be closer to $400

meanwhile ryzen 1700 sells for $300 and actually comes with a good heatsink

probably isnt compatible with 3xx either

The state of Intel in one post

Hahaha they're 1080p as well, so it's not the 980

>+50% cores
>+5% TDP

Don't forget to delid.