Librem 5

Support the development of a purely free/libre phone with no proprietary software blobs and it's GNU/Linux certified.

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
twitter.com/jolla_usa/status/912386739972530179
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor#Security_concerns
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>no built-in camera cover
NO

Well it does have firmware blobs, but this is a good start. GNU on a phone sounds comfy

Damn I might actually buy this if it actually becomes available for me at some point... Checks all the necessary boxes for me.

Lib Rem

would probably be pretty easy to port cordova apps to this. rewriting everything for it would be impossible so it makes an app store more viable

Ugly as fuck and will fail like every other attempt

>taxation is theft, subaru-kun

And it'll be expensive as shit, like purism's other crap.

>have firmware blobs
why (((they))) do this

More like auti.sm

soc makers sucks

There's a kill switch for it retard

>Huge bezels
>Not using android even though it's already open source and linux based
Autism

They're essentially developing a entire phone and OS.
It's not gonna be cheap.
>caring about bezels
andoid is "open source" in the fact that they release the source code. Open source also means dick when the hardware it runs on is proprietary.

>Open source also means dick when the hardware it runs on is proprietary.
There is nothing stopping them from fixing that instead of creating some shitty meme OS with no software.

>meme OS with no software
It's literally debian with some preinstalled shit

>mozilla fucked up
>canonical fucked up
>support those no-name shitters they will succeed

Exactly, 100 times less software suitable for a phone than android has. There very few people contrarian enough that they want phones like these.

Show me a phone that actually lets me do whatever the fuck I want on it while using no non-free software
Oh wait
There's none

people keep saying shit like this but I've never seen a specific example of what they actually want to do other than just jerking off to the idea of being able to do... something

Free as in freedom
Using anything else than a pure libre device is hell

First and most obvious response is that users can patch the fucking software. Shit like blueborne is still out in the wild because of shit manufacturers not pushing patches. Users with control of their own hardware can do it themselves. It's completely unacceptable to lock this stuff down in this current century.

can you actually provide an example instead of empty buzzwords?
people can do this already on a number of Android devices and even swap out Android for other operating systems that offer more "control" like LuneOS that will actually be usable unlike this piece of hipster garbage

Go away John McAfee

Well everyone's been after touch support for years but with no devices it's basically impossible to develop for.

sorry but it's late and I don't really follow what you mean by "touch support"

are we talking about this device's potential as a springboard for making desktop GNU/Linux distributions more mobile-friendly or what?

yeah, I mean out of the box you've got all sorts of options that are medium bad but with actual users on actual devices they can polish it.

it's interesting, but I don't think something as no-name and pretentious as this is going to do it though, it would probably be more productive to spend time and effort on something like webOS/LuneOS that has most of those qualities and a community behind it already, plus a tangible endgame focused on creating a usable product rather than one that just confirms to some set of ethical standards

hopefully gets funded, it's legitimately good imo

Mozilla used very weak devices. Even first androids and iPhones were absolute garbage. FirefoxOS just needed moar RAM and CPU power which was impossible to find on a phone back then.
Canonical would go bankrupt. They did have a demand seeing how their devices were sold out many times, but they wouldn't get their money back. Also they abandoned Unity and Mir. So their only option now is to either never go back to the mobile market, or join Sailfish/KDE Mobile/Purism.
Let's not forget that Microsoft also failed.
Sony failed to deliver SailfishOS which is arguably the best mobile OS. It can even run android apps. There was no technical reason for Sony to abandon it.
KDE Plasma Mobile will never be delivered as anything other than a hobby OS for

Why couldn't they go with Replicant?

>Sony failed to deliver SailfishOS which is arguably the best mobile OS. It can even run android apps. There was no technical reason for Sony to abandon it.

Was Sony making their own Sailfish device at some point? Jolla (the developer of Sailfish) will be releasing Sailfish for Sony Xperia X in October.

>It can even run android apps.
Kinda true but saying it like that is a bit misleading. The Android compatibility on Sailfish comes from a proprietary and paid Alien Dalvik virtual machine by Myriad. That means only official Jolla builds get Android compatibility since Myriad's not selling licenses directly to end-users.

Anbox might be a free alternative in the future but right now it's still in a pre-alpha state.

>anbox
I'll look into this.

As for the Sony abandoning Sailfish, an user said here that they already had an Xperia phone with sailfish but stopped the production, then he posted a link which says Sony won't pursue Sailfish anymore. Since I haven't heard any news about their relation to Sailfish I thought it was abandoned.

sauce?

>no nfc
>no tasker or maxs support
TRASH

Looks great.
It's a shame it probably won't get funded.
I'd back it but I'm saving to purchase a car by the end of 2017 so I can't afford dropping $600 right now

That seems like a good thing.

For the people that don't really "get" this phone and why it matters so much.

In today's world, the average Android or iOS user cannot access files on the device (in the filesystem), for an app they have installed. That's a very simple, massive limitation that was "figured out" a long time ago for personal computers. It's all hidden from the user, and very locked down.

Even if you get a file browser, you will need root permission to access the /data/data folder on Android. And sadly on your own device you often are not even allowed to gain this permission because the manufacturer decided "no".

The situation on iOS is even worse, where you can't downgrade or even get a developer terminal on the device without jailbreaking, which is becoming increasingly more difficult. Even big name developers have to purchase used devices on eBay to support older iOS versions. On Apple's computers you are granted this basic ability as the user.

The average user uses their phone much more than a personal computer. The argument can be seen for Nintendo-Switch like functionality arriving to these phones in the near-future. Where the phone is the primary personal device, and upon connection to a monitor/keyboard or laptop shell, it becomes the personal computer with a desktop experience.

If the current market of Android/iOS devices is used in that described future, then the new "personal computers" of the future will be locked down like the phone as well. It's not a good precedent to set for user's rights.

This phone (The Librem 5) can be connected to a monitor and keyboard via USB-C. The question isn't "what can it even do as a phone that Android/iOS can't?" It's a portable ARM computer, running desktop-class applications. Text editors, full web servers, console emulators, full access to USB devices, access to remote screen sharing apps, desktop web browsers, install any developer software you want (ruby, python, c/c++, go).

yeah but nobody gives a shit. This thing will be DOA, outdated before it even hits

only a few hundred people worldwide would even want such a device

this has been done before and nobody gave a fuck... phoenix something

tldr it's dead

Big problem is that Librem is already known for promising shit it hasn't even considered how to achieve. They're shit.

We're looking at the future of the personal computer with a device like this. All of the software contributions that Purism makes would be open changes to Gnome/KDE such that touch support in any touch device in the future would also have the same basic functionality.

So I backed it, and it's starting to look like they're going to reach their goal. At the end of the day what do I even use my phone for? Facebook? Hangouts? Netflix? Big ~100+ MB apps that provide functionality that can be easily provided from a web app?

Or would I want to carry around an actual, fully-capable computer that won't have any limitations that a desktop ARM Linux computer wouldn't. This initiative wouldn't have the same plague of problems as it would have immediate access to desktop Linux apps, some of which could be rethemed to be more accessible in a mobile environment.

If Apple truly does go down this road as well (porting parts of macOS to ARM, making iPhones/Macbooks that can both run desktop and mobile apps), then the Librem 5 would be the start of ensuring that the future of open-source computing is ready for such hybrid devices as well.

>We're looking at the future of the personal computer with a device like t
lmao

all apps submitted to the iOS or Mac app store are uploaded in processor-independent bytecode form

Apple could flip a switch and begin the transition to ARM macOS, allowing them to utilize their energy efficient processors in the laptop space, or allow iOS apps to run on macOS or vice-versa.

THANK YOU for explaining this shit to people. The whole benefit is that it's a phone powered by a full implementation of GNU, not a locked-down Google OS, or iOS. As I said above, the distro will be Debian-based, possibly flat out using Debian's repos directly, so it will be Free as in Freedom. You will be able to use any application that works on Debian ARM on this, including development software, browsers (could you compile Palememe for it?), chat clients/communications tools, etc.

People really need to stop thinking of their phones as some mystical glass "device". It's a computer, and the type should not matter. You should be able to treat it as any other computer, install whatever OS you want directly on the device's internal memory, in the same way you would do it on your desktop PC, and manage the functionality of your applications on YOUR device.

That's the point of this phone.

Furthermore, this phone would finally give GNOME a reason to exist. People always complain about it being too much of a mobile-looking interface, and not suited to a desktop, well guess what? This thing is a mobile computer that will be running GNOME (or possibly that KDE phone interface).

Well maybe not the future of the personal computer, but potentially a device that reminds us that a computer is a fucking computer, and should work like a computer

>nfc
>used by 10 people
>useful feature
No

>I don't use it therefore nobody uses it
autism

it should also be pointed out that since everything will be open (and you treated like you're the actual owner of your device rather than just the user) you can just dual/triple boot this with other distros or even android or windows rt if you don't like their pureos.

International shipping?

I could slap together a prototype with a pi and touchscreen
Designing the hardware isn't hard it's the prototyping and manufacturing that costs shitloads and is difficult in low runs

Check out the page linked in the OP puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Towards the bottom there's an FAQ, it says free worldwide shipping

twitter.com/jolla_usa/status/912386739972530179
>even Jolla wants this to happen

Linuxtards????

If it can run linux it can run anything, so yeah it's a good thing.

You know what, maybe I should. I actually want a phone like that.

Intrigued by this because it'd be nice to have an OS that isn't insecure botnet like Android, but will it actually be a good phone that's pleasant to use?

yeah right just like how purism's laptops are fully free with no blobs

>gnome
I like it already

>with no proprietary software blobs

People are not going to trust you if you start telling them lies.

>inb4 I was only counting some types of blobs

>From testing the CPU, GPU, Bootloader and all software will run free software, we are evaluating the WiFi and Bluetooth chips and firmware, this is an area we have to evaluate, finalize, and test. The mobile baseband will most likely use ROM loaded firmware, but a free software kernel driver. We intend to invest time and money toward freeing any non-free firmware.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor#Security_concerns

That being said, the baseband is not coupled to the CPU, and can be disabled via a physical switch. Wifi/BT can also be disabled via a physical switch.