/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dqTFvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/R96KvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/MhQL3F
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGsvXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/fRTtzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/7TMmwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/yfmQr7
hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/7/
gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who makes the best watercooling components?

me

Add vega 56/64 and gtx1080
reeee

is it worth upgrading my Xeon E3-1230v2 (1155) with DDR3 to a newer one with ddr4 mainboard?

I genuinely chuckled.

1080 isn't advisable between the 1070 and the 1080ti, and the Vega cards aren't recommended because miners are snapping them up.

Your Xeon won't work on newer boards with ddr4. You're talking about a new CPU, motherboard, and ram here.

i know that.

that's why i am asking if i could get a better performance for games when i switch to a new generation

I'd say the move to ddr4 alone would mostly contribute to better performance.

ah. then yea. Definitely worth it. Go Ryzen.

I think EK, I am sure someone will have a better option though.

Nobody reccomended them anyway so having them included is a waste of space.

Is getting a refurbished Titan x for the same price as a 1080 ti a good idea?

I am running an old i7 2600 build and I want to upgrade mainly for gaming at 1440p 144hz. Should I go 1080ti first or should I upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram first?

1080ti should do it, I have a 25k and an x34 and I'm able to push fps, depends on what games and what settings.

what ram speed should I choose for ryzen if I dont want to tinker around it?

So I posted in the previous thread

Yeah I'm Canadian. Fug man I know it says don't build a PC for me but if you guys could build me a cheap PC that could be play tekken 7 I'd be eternally grateful.

Thoughts on this? pcpartpicker.com/list/dqTFvV

Is GPU important for a video editing machine?

lol no

pretty sure most video editing software can or do utilize CUDA cores for editing and rendering, so yes, just look up some benchmarks I guess

depends on the program you're using, but in general, yes, it can make a difference.

CHALLENGE

PUT TOGETHER THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE BUILD
DGPU AND CASE REQUIRED

Black Magic Davinci Resolver works better with AMD cards. I believe the cuda core thing only worlds in Adobe Premier.

>is refurbished slower card for the same price as a new faster card a good idea?

Is a stock R5 1600 sufficient for 1080p/60fps gaming?

Definitely gonna get a 1080 ti, but I'm always not sure which one to pick. I got a EVGA 770 years ago, but I wasn't sure which one to pick as well.

Im an ASUS and Nvidia kind of guy, but which 1080ti would be the best one hands down.

asus strix

perfectly fine. It'll actually close in on 120 fps depending on the gpu.

Hi guys,

My laptop died so I'm gonna build a poverty AMD desktop. The most demanding thing I'm going to use it for is Dota 2.

Here's what I'm going with:
CPU: AMD A4 X2-4020
RAM: Zeppelin 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte N710D3
PSU: 450W Evolveo

Will this be good? My laptop wasn't top tier either. It was 600eur Asus X55 that I bought last year and it could run Dota 2 with no problem. Will I be able to run Dota 2 smoothly on higher details with this build? I'm mainly worried about CPU since I chose the cheapest I could find.

Thanks in advance.

pcpartpicker.com/list/R96KvV
>tfw had to splurge on GPU to beat Celeron integrated graphics

>AMD desktop
>not AMDesktop

That's a shit build. Here. Let me fix that for you
pcpartpicker.com/list/MhQL3F

EVGA FTW3 or Asus Strix. Both are 3 fan models. Asus has two extra fan headers which was why I chose it.

No GPU?

Man, I'm making povetry build before next paycheck. You really think I need 8gb ddr4 ram? And that motherboard? How is that CPU better than A4-4020 for Dota 2 specifically?

I assume that build aims for upgradability.
AM4 APU, 1x8 memory, and no GPU or SSD allow you to get those later.
At a poverty-tier price point you can get by on integrated graphics.

Both good choices but on air neither OCs significantly higher than the other AIB cards. I'd say save your money with the SC or go for broke with the water cooling option.

What is this DDR5 meme?

Is it a Coffee Lake thang?

I've had this case for months and it's always done this, but how do I get this microphone led on the right it stop flickering like it does? Is it software or hardware? I cut my fan leds and want no gamer shit like that when the computer's on, but other than these leds I have no indication the computer is on.

I had them covered up before, I guess I could do that again.

Really? You think I can play dota 2 on integrated graphics? I'd like to keep my human decency. Wouldn't 4GB ram be enough before paycheck? Keep in mind next paycheck will come in a month so I will have to keep playing on this shit for month.

>tfw fell for the AIO meme
H110i is loud as balls, should have just bought NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 3.

Should have listened to us, goyim.

What do you think goys, 900D or 750D.

I like that if I wanted to buy more components I would have the available space with the 900D, but It's fucking gigantic. I have plenty of room to spare though.

I like both these cases, because they look slick and clean compared to LED colored cases with funky curves and shit.

>Those prices

Why. Look at Define R5, it is just a black box.

You will have to tinker anyway, anything over 2133 is technically an overclock.

You should be fine. And yes, that build aims for upgradability. AMD APU's have fantastic integrated graphics, but shit CPU parts. That'll be remedied when Raven Ridge releases soon. Anyways, after you get a good GPU, like an RX 560 or the GTX 1050, you can upgrade the CPU to one of AMD's new fantastic Ryzen CPUs.

It's actually the headphone led

Okay man, thanks. When I get paycheck im planning to go like:
Ryzen 3 1300x
GTX 1050TI
16GB ram
SSD 250GB

Btw planning to buy Midi Tower case, will this be good enough? Or should I go for big tower?

The only difference between the Ryzen 3 1200 and the Ryzen 3 1300X is the stock clocks. They overclock just as well, and a 1200 at the same clocks as the 1300X performs identically. If you're going to go for something over a 1200, make it a Ryzen 5 1400 at minimum. That get's Simultaneous multi-threading (SMT), so it's 4 cores and 8 threads.
The B350 motherboards allow overclocking as well. Ryzen chips generally have a top limit of overclocking at 4.0/4.1 Ghz depending on the chip. Not all will hit 4.0 either, but all can hit 3.8 or 3.9..
Mid-tower should be fine, though you may want the ATX version of that motherboard he suggested instead of the micro ATX one. I'm not sure themATX overclocks as well.
Anyways, Ryzen is good. All hail.

best itx am4 mobo?

Send help, I know this case is shitty but I'm wondering if the led is just defective.

Asrock AB350 Gaming-ITX/AC

I made this one based on the recommended specs

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGsvXH

So what I will have to do? I am not retarded, but I have never had chance to overclock anything

anons I just dodged a bullet, I returned back my ANUS VG248QE to get a Samsung C24FG73, it was still sealed and they accepted it without any further problem

Just do it, I was the same a few months ago and now I'm running [email protected] with 3000mhz ram.

Hey Sup Forums. Is now a good time off build a PC?

I'm the type of person that spends about $2k on a new PC every 8 years or so, and then slowly upgrades it with flagship components as they become in expensive.

Currently I'm sitting on a well equipped 1366 build, but it's starting to show it's age, and my wallet is getting heavy.

So is this Holiday season a good time to blow like $2k on a new PC, or is the current iteration of CPUs, and GPUs are lame.

When should I buy? Not sure if AMD or Intel yet.

>expensive gpus
>expensive ram
Probably not, but I doubt those will go down in price any time soon so you might as well buy it now before.
>Not sure if AMD or Intel yet.
Wait for coffee lake.

i just want to play newer video games without lag or abhorrently fucked up graphics, is this good, does it look like everything fits together? i tried my best to see if they all go together, but i'm still worried

pcpartpicker.com/list/fRTtzM

nice ram faggot

right now isn't a good time. Multiple factors as to why.
First, There's a NAND shortage. This has caused the prices of ram and SSD's to skyrocket. So why is there a shortage if the factories producing it at full capacity? Because Samsung and Apple have new phones coming out and they keep stockpiling the stuff.
2: Pricing on mid-range GPUs is ridiculous right now. We're in the middle of a mining boom. AMD Polaris cards are just now starting to stay in stock but are still way overpriced. And the new AMD RX Vega cards are WAY overpriced because miners are buying them in bulk now. This price hike also applies to the Nvidia GTX 1070, and to a lesser extent, the 6GB GTX 1060. The GTX 1050, 1050Ti, 1080, and 1080Ti, as well as the RX 550, and RX 560 are unaffected by the miners.

Beyond that, right now is great, and AMD's new Ryzen processors are the bext bang for the buck you can get.

that doesn't tell me anything

here. little more expensive but better overall.
pcpartpicker.com/list/7TMmwV

oh okay, thanks. can you tell me exactly why you changed what you did? like why get two 4gb sticks instead of one 8gb stick for example? i've only been looking around for 2 days now so i still basically have no idea what i'm doing

>single and slow ram stick
>no ssd
>buying windows

updated it here:
The Pro 4 is the cheapest ATX board you can get with good VRMS and can handle a good overclock.
Dual channel ram makes a big difference in performance.
Fast ram makes a HUGE difference on Ryzen since it directly affects how fast the CPU can communicate with itself. This is due to Ryzen's unique architecture.
The SSD is to hold your operating system and will make a huge difference in usability.
The case was chosen because it matched the motherboard/ram making it look better. It's also heavily modular so you can change a LOT of things about it you can't-do on other cases.
The Seasonic PSU is better than the EVGA one you selected and is cheaper period.

lads, getting a new system. do i install windows 7 or windows 10 on this new system? will be used for stress testing games as such. also how do I get the OEM version?

alright, got it, thanks for the help and in depth explanation man

according to tests, there isn't much, if any difference in performance with Windows 7 vs 10. The real difference comes when you consider that Windows 10 is a botnet similar to google chrome

>also how do I get the OEM version
Kinguin.net sells OEM keys cheap.

sup anons I'm building my new PC and this is what I came up with:

pcpartpicker.com/list/yfmQr7

Any suggestions?

Looks good.
But no HDD? Do you plan to salvage it?

Way too much money lol. I'm only willing to spend $6-700 CAD.

Okay.

This is my current PC. It runs fine, but it shows it's age.
What can I upgrade?

I won't use an HDD it sounds like a tractor, also I have an external 1TB hard disc for movies/music storage, 500gb is more than enough for me

If I want to play games on ultra 4k/60fps, and I get a 1080ti, do I need an i7 7700k, or will a ryzen 1700 do?

alright. Assuming you cannibalize your current build for parts, get an nvidia GTX 1080, an AMD Ryzen 5 1600, a B350 motherboard, and a 16 GB kit of 3000 or 3200 mhx ram. Expect to overpay for the ram though. Everything else would be at the normal prices.
>Fermi GPUs
Oh you poor soul.

At lower fps CPU barely does anything..

0/10 Squat. Boris not approve.

So I'm short a data cable for my new HDD, would it be wise to use a sata cable from this decade old pos?

At high resolution CPUs basically do the same thing.
I would say go for the 1700.

No suggestions really
Looks good.

Change the Define C for the Meshify C. The Define lacks airflow which the Meshify fixes. Just buy another case fan and aim it at the GPU.

>would it be wise
From what I have heard, different SATA revisions are almost entirely just revisions to the protocol and not hardware changes, so in the vast majority of cases a SATA II cable can run at SATA III speeds no problem.

>Dual channel ram makes a big difference in performance
Not for any common consumer applications it doesn't.

Did I do good? Computer that works as a seedbox and HTPC, stores my backups and plays movies for my TV.

>Core i5 7500 (I went with a i5 instead of i3 because this is more futureproof)
>Asus Prime B250M-A
>Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB DDR4
>bunch of hard drives and an SSD

I originally bought a Ryzen 5, but returned it because it didn't have an igpu. No point in getting a separate GPU since it would've cost me more without yielding any improved results.

>gaming isn't consumer
ok

shit. wait for Raven Ridge
>i5
>futureproof
pick one.

Dual-channel has almost no impact on gaming. RAM bandwidth isn't the bottleneck there.

hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/7/
gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

I don't know about you, but even an old Core 2 Quad Q6600 will do pretty much everything a HTPC requires in 2017. I know it's not an i7, but I'm not going to buy a CPU for 10 years.

I know on paper AMD appears more futureproof but it has that low IPC and it's most likely obsolete fast like other AMD processors have been.

>but it has that low IPC
??

I mean, that is good enough. I don't think we're going higher than 4K sources for awhile.

Since pcpartpicker doesn't have the shit I'm picking, here's the list. Light gaymen (basically only Fallout franchise and some really old shit), VS2017, SQLServer 2017, general use.

>i5-8400 when it comes out
>some itx board to go with that, probably Gibibyte
>Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold
>FD Define Nano S
>Gibibyte 1060 3GB ITX
>Goodram Iridium Pro 480GB
>KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE 8GB DDR4 (2x4)

I already have Winblows key.

Haven't decided on cooling, but since it's the stock non-k CPU, I'll probably stick with stock for a while.

I plan to upgrade to 8700k and some better GPU once Intel finally pulls 10nm out of their ass.

>inb4 Ryzen/Radeon

No, thanks. I had better experience with blue and green than team red.

Forgot to add, I'm Eastern Yurop based and this shit, not counting mobo and assuming that i5 will have a price of 7400+10%, will cost me a little under $900. Slap in a mobo and I can get within my budget of $1100 perfectly.

Wait for reviews before purchasing a CPU sight unseen.
Unless you intend on watercooling, get the Define C. The Define S is geared for water.

so i got an Asus H170 Pro Gaming M/B and need to get new DDR4 memory but the only ones i can buy now on the store are some DDR4 3600mhz the specifications of the mobo says 4 slots of 2133mhz would it be a problem if i buy those?

If you just want something that isn't powerful for an HTPC, why not an AMD A8 9700? $70, fantastic iGPU, shit CPU part (which we've established doesn't matter much. It's a 4 core Bulldozer CPU part)

And Ryzen's IPC is not low. It's lower than Kaby Lake, yes, but it isn't low. It's on Par with Intel's Devil's Canyon CPUs.
Zen 2 comes out next year and had a huge IPC boost and better overclocking.

Well, of course I'm not gonna pull the trigger on day 1, if it turns out to be a pile of garbage, I'll get an z270 and i5-7500 and weather the storm.

kill yourself. AMD Ryzen is a competent product. Coffeelake wouldn't be what it is if Intel wasn't legitimately scared of Ryzen handing them their ass on a silver platter