Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/τέχνη
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techne
latex-project.org/about/
youtube.com/watch?v=NwnYHoNtfJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Latex

la tech

Same way you pronounce the material used in these pants.

Latech with a German ch

Ask darkholme.

lay tek

Vocaroo please

LAH.TEHKH (like Hebrew guttural noise)

This is the correct way stated by the creator.

he can suck my cotch, that's a dumb pronunciation

I used to pronounce it like lay-tex (as in texture) But then I saw most people say it's pronounced like lah-teh.
I conclude most people are gay and I still pronounce like I used to.

Yeah, agreed. "la tech" is the way to go

Some people also say gif instead of jif to this day. People baka

You say L.A. Tech? Are you kidding me?

no, I say latex.
You can spell it any way you want, there is no confusion how to pronounce it.

lah-tecks

Tex or Tech, depending on how I feel. Fuck the La.

But mostly I just call it
>What? Word still can't do that automatically?

> Lay-Tex(as)

There.

this.

>not using phonetic alphabet to discuss pronunciation
ˈlateχ

/sci/ here.

Donald Knuth created TeX and says it should be pronounced tech in reference to the Greek term.

The language itself is very primitive but very powerful. In practice people do not write TeX directly instead they combine it with common "sets of functions" (termed "formats). Formats are often talked about as if they are their own programming language because they tend to differ by a lot and in many ways they kind of are. Plain TeX, AMS TeX, ConTeXt, Lollipop, LaTeX, etc... are all examples of TeX formats.

LaTeX in particular was created by Leslie Lamport (LaTeX is a contraction of "Lamport TeX"). So arguably the correct way to pronounce it would be La-Tech but Leslie Lamport says he doesn't care how people pronounce it and he is arguably the creator of the LaTeX language and ideology (the way it separates content and typesetting).

tl;dr: "la-tech" is correct but "latex" (as in the material) is also acceptable. However, TeX is always "tech". "Lamport TeX" is probably also fine but no one will know what you're talking about.

People who drop the "La" but don't know TeX are posers. People who use TeX primitives in modern LaTeX are brainlets (especially if they use AMS-LaTeX).

Lejtäx

> English-speaking computer scientists release software to their English-speaking peers with titles spelled with the English alphabet that look identical to English words
>DONT SAY "LAYTEKS" REEEEEEEEE

The correct way to pronouce it is zhayf (ʒaJf). It's "g" as in words like "beige," "collage," "massage," and "mirage."

It's phonetically between the hard g of gif and the j in jif. ʒaJf is the only correct way because it's a symbiosis of the two most common ways to pronounce. So both people who say "gif" and those who say "jif" is saying it wrong.

ラテッヒ

Japanese Wikipedia says ラテック or ラテフ. but those are wrong.
English unfortunately doesn't have the German ch, so it's difficult to explain.

>tech
Isn't that usually pronounced "tek"?

Lateksi

>Japanese
>German
wut? It comes from Greek. Particularly it's short for τέχνη.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/τέχνη

Isn't that usually pronounced "tek"?
Yes, but the English version of the Greek word is Techne.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techne

Late - ecks, anything else is retarded and innacurate.

Layteks, how else?

Lay tech

>the German ch
There's two german ch.

Con-dom Ma-te-rial

There are even more.
Take "China". You may pronounce that "China" (ヒーナ), "Schina" (シーナ) or "Kina" (キーナ).
All three version are considered valid.

/latex/, it's spelled the same as its phonetic value.

That's only when Germans pronounce foreign words. When pronouncing German words, there's ich-laut and ach-laut.

my math teacher always pronounced it "la-tehh"

>When pronouncing German words, there's ich-laut and ach-laut.

The ch in "Ich" and "Ach" sound exactly the same, though.
Unless you come from North the Uerdingen line.

>People baka
You should never speak or write again.

Wait a second, I retract my statement.
There is indeed a difference between "ich" and "Ach".
Never noticed it before. Thanks.

I say lay-tech, but am not sure if that first syllable should be a "lah" instead.

aw-tism

The confusion arises because while "TEX" could be greek letters, "LA" are obviously latin. Tex is often written as TeX and Latex as LaTeX, which furthers the confusion, because only the uppercase epsilon actually looks like an E.

Making matters worse, the pronunciation of letters in Greek has changed enormously over the years and over geographic areas, to the point where the pronunciation of X (chi) is up for debate. Everything from chi to shi to khi to ki was used, even ks (which is why the latin alphabet uses X for this sound). Using the pronunciation of modern Greek doesn't make any sense either since modern Greek is almost a reconstructed language, and the actual Greek contributions to science are much older than modern Greek society or language.

Either way, Knuth thinks you should pronounce the X as the ch in loch, so that seems to be the general consensus, at least for Tex...

Lah Tech

Why am I a brainlet for preferring LYX?
user told me so yesterday.
It's like saying you're a brainlet for programing in C instead of Assembly

latex-project.org/about/
>LaTeX, which is pronounced «Lah-tech» or «Lay-tech» (to rhyme with «blech» or «Bertolt Brecht»)
Seems pretty clear to me.

laytecks because i'm not a hipster

Lay tecks, because I don't care about the creators' a

You want to add another dimension of autism to this already autistic thing?

>anons pronounce gif wrong against the creator's intent but refuse to pronounce latex wrong

La-tech
With the soft German "ch", not the hard "k".

Only if you are German.

What is xi?

Also I'm pretty sure it isn't pronounced "polyvinyl chloride".

Latex
If you want you software pronounced a certain way, use the right letters you dumb shit.

can we all at least agree that anyone who uses the special character \LaTeX in their documents is a pretentious shithead?

This
>create some cool new shit
>give it a name
>bonus points if it's an already established word in English
>come up with a retarded pronunciation that doesn't make any sense when looking at the spelling
>bonus points if you come up with a new pronunciation to an already existing word
>provide no pronunciation information
>it gets popular
>everyone refers to your shit with the pronunciation that is logical and makes sense
>years later tell people how it's supposed to be pronounced after everyone has already gotten used to certain pronunciation
>bonus points if you lose your shit over people not using the retarded pronunciation you invented and go ACKHTUALLY on everyone who uses the >incorrect pronunciation

laytecks

Kerrr right off

retard

lay tech

Fisting is 300 bucks

I hate this logo

it's too TeXniXal for you

latex

lay tek

It might not look like it but LyX is actually harder (unless you're doing ridiculously simple documents) and it makes it extremely difficult to do anything sophisticated.

Lay-teks

Is this a Young Sheldon meme?

funny that you ask
had an interview 8 yrs ago
he said you pronounce it Latesh
I wanted to punch him in the face

t. latesh

He was testing your subordination.

Though that reminds me, when I started out I asked a TA a question about "latex". Though he knew what I was talking about he told me not to call it that so that I wouldn't sound like a weird fetishist. That memory still makes me lol whenever I pronounce it latex.

I guess it's pronounced "LAW - TECH" or "LA - TECH" (either way) lol

youtube.com/watch?v=NwnYHoNtfJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=5

>Law
>Lawmport TeX
Sure, you can pronounce it that way if you like sounding like a redneck.

latex as in latex gloves

Maybe the GNU guy should have thought of that

latech, german style

It's not German though, moreover techne is an English word.

Laht-ey-eggs