Comfiest DE in 2017?

Think I'm finally ready to switch from Gnome, I'm comfy but I don't like the design ideology the fact that I need to install a bunch of extensions to make things work or that they may break randomly at any time. I've tried KDE and didn't like it that much (although I didn't rice it, just left it stock) what should I try next?

Other urls found in this thread:

stardock.com/products/windowblinds/
ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-artful-beta1/
github.com/RafaelBocquet/i3-hud-menu
webupd8.org/2016/06/how-to-get-unity-like-hud-searchable.html
github.com/erikdubois/Numix-Circle-Arc/tree/master/Numix-Circle-Arc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>comfiest DE in 2017?
None.

XFCE

simple, stable, lightweight

This.
They all suck.
KDE has good ideas, but is a horrible, unstable mess of
>wontifx
>worksonmymachine
Gnome are just retards that still insist on doing a touchscreen DE with virtually no functions and everything else is crap for folks who treat their OS/PC as their hobby.

That said:
Gnome without extensions (because fuck having them break after every single minor update) and KDE apps (mostly dolphin, gwenview and kate) is somewhat workable.

Budgie.

>he uses a DE in 2k17

Aqua

budgie, pantheon, lxde, lxqt, xfce there's a whole world of DEs beside KDE/Gnome

Cinnamon, Mate...

>there's a whole world of DEs beside KDE/Gnome
Yeah a whole world full of shit.

If you like KDE applications but dislike KDE's pile of garbage, LXQt might suit you.

uses dwm.exe

>Gnome are just retards that still insist on doing a touchscreen DE
GNOME can work with touchscreens but it's not it's intended workflow and it's just not there yet.. Once you get the hang of it's keyboard shortcuts and workspaces (the way it's intended to use) - you'll get a very comfy user experience.
That being said - fuck them for removing tray icons. I know that they are uncomfortable to use on something with a small touch screen but keeping something like Transmission on a separate workspace is just not comfortable.

used it before switching to GNOME. Still think that it's the best twm, I just don't thing that twm's workflow is actually efficient.

explorer.exe on win10

MaXX Interactive

are there any good tweaks for explorer in windows 7?
(i want some games and foobar2000 desu)
used clover for tabs but got a virus from that
would like for example that folder.jpg behaved like in xp
and nicer arranging of windows

install windowblinds

stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

it's like diabetes for windows

Not viable in 2017.

Enlightenment

(not an actual advice)

Ugliest piece of shit I've seen in my life.

Why not?

it's for the cool kids you wouldn't understand

>LXQt might suit you.
Tried it, but required even more work to get to work than gnome.
Gnome does nothing, besides their expose clone and saving me from having to tinker with all kinds of shit to get stuff like standby and such to work.
Essentially, I use it as a glorified WM with lots of resource waste.

>GNOME can work with touchscreens but it's not it's intended workflow and it's just not there yet..
But why can't I fucking adjust the size of borders, title bars and whatnot to non-touch sizes
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>I've tried KDE and didn't like it that much (although I didn't rice it, just left it stock) what should I try next?
Try a riced KDE Plasma. The defaults are just bad.

Unity.

>KDE Plasma: No HUD
>Mate: No integrated menus
>Cinnamon: No integrated menus, no HUD
>Gnome: No integrated menus, no HUD
>XFCE: No integrated menus, no HUD
>LXDE: No integrated menus, no HUD
>i3: No integrated menus

well, integrated menus lose some of their interest with the implementation of GTK3 that comes with icons and buttons inside the window decoration

>The defaults are just bad.
Yeah, but you don't need much ricing. Just switch the theme back to Oxygen, and suddently the icons and shit make sense again.

Can you connect to Wi-Fi network within MaXX programs?
Connect Bluetooth?
Tune sound volume?
Switch keyboard layouts?
Automount drives?

That's just another reason why Gnome and Gnome apps are total shit. Client-side decorations are a retarded idea and just reduce the amount of user customisation you can do, preventing useful power features like these from functioning. Normal application menus are standardised, give all the programs a consistent look, and let you do awesome things like searching through them via a HUD or configuring your own shortcuts.

I have just gotten used to the idea of using kde with as few buggy parts as possible.
For me, KDE means kwin + krunner and a graphical frontend to the config file

>Mate
>i3
You can have HUD there?

Mate has it in the latest beta. Pic related.
ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-artful-beta1/

i3 I guess can do it with dmenu or something. I think I tried this once a long time ago, but I don't really use i3 myself.
github.com/RafaelBocquet/i3-hud-menu

Is that pcmanfm?

How do I call HUD?

Xfce

yeah that's it

On Mate or i3?

For Mate, details are in the blog post I linked. It's only available via the Contemporary, Cupertino, or Mutiny layouts. Switch to one of those layouts and then just press Alt to bring up the HUD in your current program (if it has a menu).

For i3/dmenu, follow the instructions on the GitHub page.

On Unity, I never knew about this and never thought about this.

Top tier taste. PcmanFM best file manager, too bad can't make firefox use it by default. Shame arc light has only dark panels. Looks retarded.

>PcmanFM best file manager
Really?
Never got the hang of it and couldn't bother the learn/configure it, when I already was quite comfy with dolphin.

It's really sad. I think a large majority of Unity users never knew about the locally integrated menus or the HUD feature, and yet they're both amazing killer features that no other DE has both of. And because hardly anyone knows about them, people just get confused when they're brought up, and they think locally integrated menu = global menu and HUD = program search/dash, which is completely wrong.

For new readers:

A locally integrated menu is like something in-between a normal application menu and a global menu. The application gets moved up into the window title bar, freeing up space in the window and making things look neater, while still having the menu available there locally (without requiring much eye/mouse movement) when you need it. Unity and Plasma both offer this, and no other DE does.

A HUD lets you search for menu items in the currently active program, by typing part of the command name via the keyboard. Type "blu" in a graphics program to search for things like "gaussian blur", "radial blur", etc.

yeah i use it mostly because of the dual panel mode, a bit like dolphin's. it's convenient when moving files

My unpopular choice would be unity. Gnome/kde/iNiggerOS normies will never know this level of comfiness.

What's to configure? I just set single click to open and that's it. It has dual panel mode, which I don't use too often because they decided that the background should change color, instead of just the tab (pic related), otherwise its perfect imo.

Of course I forget the pic.

>fuckhuge titlebar instead of comfy little one-line(that also integrates into the top panel)
Literally iNigger tier

>XFCE: no HUD

lies

webupd8.org/2016/06/how-to-get-unity-like-hud-searchable.html

Is this what a windows vista fetish looks like?
Although, terminology is a pretty great TE, I'll give them that

>not using thunar but superior pcmanfm
mein neger

This inconsistency really grinds my gears.
I can get what they were trying to accomplish, but they fucking can't even get it to work and look consitently across gnome apps.

>What's to configure?
Forgot what it was. Maybe the F4 shortcut to open a terminal in the folder I'm currently in?
Or getting it to show details and a large thumbnail on hover.

>Mate: No integrated menus
Now why would I want that when I have a global menu?

>Is this what a windows vista fetish looks like?

yeah it has a real 90s feel to it, a bit like openstep or gnustep and the like... but with plenty of useless eyecandy and compositing

global menu is cool except when you open a window on your second screen and the menu shows up in panel 0 on the main monitor...

I got even more triggered by that than by the lack of window borders.

proof

I thought twm's were useless too until I gave it a try on my laptop. (I didn't like how it broke the mouse)
twm's are definitely superior on the laptop, as trackpads are trash technology and twm's allow you to avoid it

also it handles network very well.
ssh,sftp,ftp,samba,nfs through a dialog or location bar.

shame it is not developed anymore.

That's not 90's at all man
That shit looks like I just finished playing Sonic 06 and went to post on gamefaqs about it
On mate it's a panel applet, so just add it to the panel on your second monitor as well

>thunar superior pcmanfm

They are almost the same

forgot pic, this is pretty 90s, more early 2000s but I'll always associate KDE3 with my glorious P3 shitbox compaq from 1997

except for dual panel that's it

>lack of window borders
Also so much this. But this shit persists on unity too, sadly. I like fvwm2 window decorations.
In other words, (for me personally) fvwm2 + locally integrated menus would be the best solution to this.

Which icons?

>decided to install linux
>am now spending hours just messing around with themes and color schemes

pic related was testing out the retro terminal and comparing to my normal one

>That's not 90's at all man

the dock/panel is reminiscent of FVWM, you can't get more 90s than that but yeah, with early 2000s eyecandy and transparency.

numix-circle-arc

github.com/erikdubois/Numix-Circle-Arc/tree/master/Numix-Circle-Arc

I really wish CDE compiled on 64bit OSes
Or compiled at all, couldn't get it to work on debian stable 32bit for the life of me last time I tried (2 years ago)

tabs should start at the right of the left sidepane at the very least. But better would probably be to just move them up to where the adress bar is, could be a problem with many deep tabs though. you could also put the menu up in the title bar

very bad use of space
but what do the arrows do?

what DE?

This. I don't like your theme though. BUT the beauty of XFCE is that you can make ANYTHING out of it.

Can you post your desktop picture pls?

It actually works pretty well
But I agree, it looks terrible

kde

I guess that's true, but it's not really the same thing since it isn't built into the DE and isn't integrated with it. For example, Unity comes with it and its HUD is integrated into its dash UI. Mate comes with it and its HUD is locally integrated into application windows. KDE Plasma has plans to (eventually) integrate a HUD into KRunner. But what you linked is a third-party thing with no integration.

For personal preference reasons. Just like you might prefer a global menu, others may prefer a locally integrated menu. Both are objectively superior to standard menus or client side decorations.

Personally I don't see the benefit of a global menu though. A locally integrated menu is similar in that it conserves screen space, but it requires less eye/mouse movement.

it's still GNOME

>Poor man's Unity
>Two panels wasting space
>Relying on extensions that could break or get dropped at any moment

>be me
>install Xubuntu 17.04
>it just werks
>lets do come tweaking
>the "disable touchpad when tapping on keyboard" still doesn't work if you put the delay below 1s
>locking screen bugs
>no vsync
>remember having these bugs on Xubuntu 10.04
>this is the current state of Xfce

Everybody on Sup Forums seems that Xfce is more stable and less buggy because it's lightweight, but this shit is KDE-tier

>Think I'm finally ready to switch from Gnome
are you running linux on a tablet?
because gnome is designed for tables.

>Poor man's Unity
anything that isn't compiz is an improvement
that's my decision, not something Gnome forces on anybody
>Relying on extensions that could break or get dropped at any moment
the same could be said for any open source software. when was the last time XFCE got an update? more than 2 years ago?

>that everything
Why even bother with Linux at this point?

daily reminders that hud and notifications are a part of your desktop experience and deserve to be printed on your screen if you want to be productive

sure, but why have the dock on the side?
Waste of space

Because on a 16/9 screen you don't need that 40px in horizontal

also the top/left corner is what your brain care the must

Look at the site you're browsing now. There is nothing on the right side of the screen anyway. Vertical spapce is far more precious than horizontal.

Sure but you only need one panel. Regardless of your orientation, you should be able to fit everything on one panel. Menu button, running tasks, tray icons, clock, etc. with room to spare. Having two panels wastes space.

Arguing that a panel on the left is better for a widescreen layout is retarded if you also have a second panel across the top of the screen anyway. If you only have one panel then that argument works, but not if you have two.

Personally I'd argue that one panel across the top of the screen makes the most sense though, because then you can have maximised windows integrate with it to save space. Technically you could do this regardless of where the panel is, but it makes the most sense if the panel is on top.

yeah you waste more pixel but it's more comfy, so this isn't a waste
this setup need a global menu tho

There is a vsync option for Xubuntu.

the 24px topbar is too small to have a comfy task manager

Why? Why do you need giant icons to identify your programs?

if you install a global menu you don't have room for a task manager, exept one for ant

the Unity setup still save more vertical space that a classic setup with application menu bar + windows decoration + DE bar

you can't just take the save space in consideration, you need to take care about the UX design too

You could try Awesome WM, if you're nerd enough...

The problem with the marketing was the search feature unity had was unusable trash.
I never even bothered with unity long enough to see they made the menu searchable too.
And I never looked for it because I never needed it.
A search is useful when you know the name of the thing you search for.
Most applications have a good menu system, so finding what you are looking for is really easy.

So the hud is useful when you are in a scenario where you know the application well enough to know name of the function, but don't know the application well enough to know the hotkey / accelerator keys.
KDE and unity both started to hide accelerators for some reason, maybe people don't use them?

I'm actually glad that unity is dead
FOSS only starts development when porting shit.
That's why I'm glad the GNOME idiots fucked up version 3 so much, we got MATE out of it

That's why you use a locally integrated menu, like Plasma offers.

I'm new to all this. When picking a picture to post, how do I make firefox display tiled images rather than a list with a single preview on the right?

>botnet botnet botnet
maan, I wouldn't be so brave to post a screenshot like this on Sup Forums

No one uses i3wm here?