Studying CS in uni

>studying CS in uni
>find coding boring as shit and want to drop out but I can't do anything else
who /brainlet/ here?

Same. Dont mind writing small scripts in shell, perl and python. But anything more than few hundred lines and I lose focus.

Maybe development isn't for you then. I enjoy long projects, personally.

I dont enjoy it until I've been at it for a an hour or so.

My brain needs to wear into tasks, I hate it until im on a roll then I love it.

This.
I actually hate trivial scripting because building the abstractions is the fun part and you should not overengineer your scripts so I just keep it simple.

A lot of people confuse "liking the Internet and videogames" with "being apt to program." Those are two completely different things.
Change careers, look for a job or acquire a new skill. If you dislike the career at this stage, just imagine how much you'll loathe it when you're forced to work 8+ hours per day, for about 30 years doing this shit.

everyone

I have the opposite problem

>Studying marketing in uni
>Find coding really fun and interesting but can't do it because I'm a /mathlet/

I've started a WebDev course and it's so much fun. Just holding my breath till we cover JS.

I have the problem of i really like programming and am quite good at it, but everyone at my uni is fucking retarded. I literally know people most of their way through the course who cant do fizzbuzz.

People who 'dont get OO' and also dont like functions so they write all their code in Main.

One guy who wanted help from me permuting an array to another array, whom i gave sample code which he could literally copy and paste, but still couldnt figure it out.

What kind of webdev do you do which doesn't cover JS?

>what is reading comprehension

He said he just started a WebDev course, and is now "holding my breath till we cover JS".

I know that feel, man.

t. Law student.

I hate coding with all my heart but there are many career paths to choose from after graduating

>study STEM with with top grades
>classes are full of dumb pakis who rote learn everything and can't hold a conversation
>want to kms
who /surroundedbybrainlets/ here?

Are there people who actually enjoy working anything, whatever it is? I mean it's just a barrier between you and a quality, fun life.

Final year brainlet reporting in, still dont know what to do with my life

keep at it user and soon you'll be like me

But /brainlets/ with tech degrees join management, OP. The way it's going I'm probably going to end up working for someone like you. Just..

How does it feel to be going into a over saturated market? Unless you are doing ME or EE THEN law school to be a patent Jew then you are SoL.

Since when do you need math for programming?

Yes there are

Fake it til' you make it

Do an arts degree and use it to get a job in teaching, anyone can live comfortably on the £21'000 a year that guarentees you. You'll be able to get a mortgage on a two bedroom house and pay it off in fifteen years max if you're careful with your money.

History is the only thing that legitimately interests me - can I major in it, then work as a teacher?

Why did you get in CS in the first place.

Most likely a very small percentage of.the working force, but its possible

and these kind of people will somehow get a decent job and do subpar work but for whatever reason they won't be fired.
The rest is writing in news websites whenever a huge amount of data is stolen or when mehdroid get yet another malware in trending apps.

I thought it would be [spoiler]fun[/spoiler]

Can't imagine how your classes must be to make you hate coding.
What's the most complex thing you've done so far?

if you want to program de vidya XD major in CIT

CS is just math in disguise, and any decent program will be like 5% programming 95% math

CIT lets you skip the math part, for the most part

But you need the math for videogames

You need math for a CS degree, which is what user is talking about.

I thought I was a mathlet but worked hard at it and I do pretty well now. I'm no Terry Tao, but I have basic competence and can do well in CS math courses. If you really want it, you can do it...

>be in CS lab for a 3rd/4th year course
>course project requires knowing basic UNIX shit
>TA asks how many students have experience with UNIX
>4 or 5 hands out of 50 go up
>mfw

What's the most /comfy/ and chill area of programming? Webdev? Mobile? Desktop? Gamedev?

Mobile

Unix isn't in the standard high school curriculum so what do you expect?

That more than 10% of 3rd or 4th year CS students would know enough to get around the terminal.

Out of the blue?

Why?

You must mean GNU, not unix.

Good concentration of startups and projects tend to be small or maintenance.

I knew that being familiar with at the least the basics is something a programmer should know, so I took it upon myself to learn.

But hey, if the only situation you can conceive of in which the percentage would be higher is if someone forced them to learn it, that explains a lot.

When the TA said UNIX, he obviously meant UNIX-derived OSs, autist.

Makes sense, thanks

Same. I switched to IT because I've accepted that I have the attention span of a fly.

GNU - Gnu not unix (just a cheap clone)

The one you didn't mention

I almost went down this path, but instead opted for a lifetime reliance on pharmaceutical stimulants and now I'm gonna have a CS degree soon

>/mathlet/

you don't need to know much complicated math. Everything you'd need to know in terms of math is already out on the internet. It's simply a a matter of knowing when you need something and looking for it.