Adblocking ethics

How internet survive if everybody block ads? What if Sup Forums put a paywall and need the Sup Forums Pass for unlock?

>Sup Forums paywall

I wish they would.

This place needs to die.

What if everybody clicked every ads?

This just shows that everyone and their mother hates ads, and you know who is to blame? Marketers, they make most obnoxious ads that people fucking hate.

It's true, i really wouldn't mind ads if they were like pic related, marketing now days is just annoying pestering for the 'new best thing nobody is gonna notice'

>What if everybody clicked every ads?
So much this! Just install Adnauseam and help out all these websites.

Less websites overall with higher quality in general because people would actually think about and evaluate what site to pay money for.

Also keep in mind that the countless little private blogs etc won't disappear because they used to and would still cost only like $5/month.
Websites that generate money though means other than advertisement (because they provide a service, e.g. github) won't be affected either.

Overall, the internet would be a better place.
So, adblock to make this true or use adnauseam to also kill google in the process.

Internet was born and largely rised without any ads. In fact, the attitude was largely negative on any attempt of advertising back then (up to around -95, I would say).

Content was good. You gave search engine a question, out would come an answer for engineers. And moral was high. I miss the time without ads. Internet would survive just fine.

Not only are ads obnoxious (autoplay videos, pop ups, pop unders, etc) they are also often a vector for computer viruses.
It seems that just about every webpage with a download button has a banner ad right next to it masquerading as the download button.

Furthermore, ads can make up a substantial chunk of a webpage's size, which is expensive for mobile data users, and annoying for everyone else because now a single tab is eating up obscene amounts of ram.

Ads will be wrapped into DRM soon enough, and if your browser doesn't support HTML5 DRM.. Well, it's not standard and the website just flat out won't load, suggesting you install a supported browser. The web is about to get the final nail over the next couple years.

Adding to that, people who attempt to reverse DRM and create the next generation of ad blockers will be subject to copyright and tampering lawsuits. Welcome to the new web.

So, if I've disabled DRM content then I don't get ads?
Fantastic!

Yes, but soon that will break everything.

> website just flat out won't load

I usually block all scripts (noscript is a good pal). If the website will not load, it does not exist.

>only 180mil out of 5bil
Its nowhere near dead

the paradigm that websites should be monetized was a mistake. the internet "needs" ads because most website owners bought into the idea that websites exist to make them money

In 2015
At that rate of growth it's probably over 300 mil now

isnt the answer obvious ?
Everyone just needs to run a patreon page !

>it'll break EVERYTHING!
the people crying about this are the same ones who don't run uMatrix because they think that blocking JS breaks EVERYTHING!!!. Breaks some things? Yes. But a surprising amount still works. Well, if by "works" you mean "I can read the content". Comment sections break, but they're shit anyway. Videos break, but they're shilling anyway. And advertising breaks, which is a feature.

The main effect of HTML5 DRM will be to cause some minor headaches for stream-rippers. Your latest pile-of-shit TV show might be delayed a few days in showing up on the Pirate Bay. Big deal.

yeah shit like this has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't think you understand the consequences.
Conventional adblockers won't work for this.
And because this is DRM, creating new software to circumvent this, to block these DRM'ed ads, is illegal by law in your country.
Adblockers for this kind of ads will not exist because everyone offering them will be sued to hell and back.

Currently, the adblock community is pretty big and that's why it all works so well for you. With DRM'ed ads, the people developing ads and maintaining lists will considerably decrease, so much that it no longer works like the ad-free freedom you enjoy today.

What's left? Not using DRM'ed sites like this user suggested However, you have to understand that normies won't do that and websites won't care about you not vising them when normies still do. And they will.

Web developer here. I now handle ALL content loading, layout, and styling with JS. With scripts off, you will just see a small centered message explaining what's wrong and suggesting you turn off any blockers you have on.

My first site like this (100% JS) went public last week. It was a much smoother development process than the traditional mess and I'll certainly use the same approach going forwards.

tl;dr the JS-free web is dead and you'll just have to deal with it.

Mainstream browser might even restrict APIs, not develop some in the first place or outright prevent people from loading addons that could fiddle with DRM'ed ads.

But I like Google

>that Trypophobia on the right
I defended ads and was against ad blockers for many years, but after that shit went up I block everything everywhere

Trackmenot is better than that is fiddle crap, user

you are the cancer killing the web

Ads were always just a stop gab for falling paid sub numbers

The issue is that we have not reached an equilibrium yet when it comes to ads generated enough revenue to replace what is being lost.

We reached a breaking point years ago, the ads just became more intrusive and more and more annoying as fuck.
I am perfectly happy with a reasonable amount of ads, but the experience online has gone to shit with how much is shoved down our throats, is it any surprise people are adopting adblockers in droves ?

So what is happening now ?
1) ads are getting WORSE, they are trying to squeeze every last shekel out of each person who doesn't have an adblocker
2) content is being put behind pay walls, which can still fucking have ads !

>While the 7,500-plus episodes of the Eye’s shows will be available to watch on-demand without ads, All Access’s live-streaming offering of local CBS television stations will continue to include the same commercials as the over-the-air broadcasts. The local programming is available on CBS All Access in about 150 U.S. markets. In addition, certain on-demand shows will include “promotional interruptions,” CBS said.

I really don't know what a good solution to this is.

Sounds good to me. I would have no objections to paying Google a small monthly fee for search services. I already pay for news, I don't use social media (if you don't count Sup Forums, for which I have a Pass), I subscribe to paid video services, etc. A paid internet sounds fantastic.

I suppose very poor people would be disadvantaged. Maybe some kind of charitable solution could be worked out. There will still be /some/ ad supported sites, but they'll need to get smart with delivery and presentation to avoid blocking.

What a cringy infographic. Especially calling Google Goolag. It's like you wanted to sound edgy and cool but were too scared to say Jewgle or something.

Install Adnauseam, click on all the ads, and let the digital Darwinism machine work its magic.

There will always be people who host websites for free or for donations just like before ads became popular. Not even the poor will miss out on anything.

>tfw developing and maintaining a project that's basically a a single page javascript file using vue.js
I've became my own hated creation

Why not something like a surcharge on your ISP bill, then the money gets collected and divided up based on visits to each site ?

so if you only went to google and Sup Forums equally, they would each get half of the amount.

obviously not a perfect solution, small time sites might be shafted the most
and of course people will likely doubly dip and still have ads anyways - which leads is back to the same problem as we have now.

The poor could just view less youtube videos and work more or get better education.

It's legal here to tamper with DRMs.

> However, you have to understand that normies won't do that and websites won't care about you not vising them when normies still do. And they will.
My normie friends do care, almost all of them use adblocks.
It would depend on how annoying the ads would be, if it's non intrusive ads, I'm sure they won't care. But intrusive ads annoy everyone.

I'm not even sure Adnauseum is a meme or genuine anymore

ive never trusted it it's not somehow a scam to drive someone's ad revenue up

We went through this once before in the 90s and early 2000s with pop-ups. What eventually happened was pop-up blockers became ubiquitous and sometimes integrated into browsers, and eventually pop-ups started to disappear because they paid so little, due to being blocked by most users.

The solution for the web is a re-run of this with general ad-blocking. Ad-driven websites will try to cling on but eventually the brands placing the ads will start to realize that they're wasting their money, since the only things seeing and clicking ads will be bots. Then the ecosystem dries up.

ads were cancer pre 2000
don't get fooled by shills
any alternative is better than malvertising
If I need to pay to access sites then so be it

> software to circumvent this, to block these
> DRM'ed ads, is illegal by law in your country

Certainly will not be in my country. Where have you been able to find such a purely bred dystopian shithole to live in that you can not even trust your own people to revolt against these ideas?

To clarify: what I meant that if the DRM does not work (no support in OS/browser, perhaps), then the website either works or does not work. Either way, fine. Plenty to see elsewhere, in any case.

Also remember: plenty to CREATE as well! The whole universe is your playground. Man up, son!

4chins uses scripts

we should go back to the good old days before plugins and fancy features

i will unblock adds when they are not completely obnoxious and downright offence.

>how to kill a shit website off in 3 steps
it doesn't deserve to survive if the ads it provides have even a remote chance of containing either annoying shit or malware

I am not a webdev by any means, but I was given the task to do a website.
I didn't really bother learning any of the libraries, so I just wrote quotes around the html, then used JS to insert content.
It worked really well, but writing html as a string is really stupid.
What is the "correct" way to do it?

With sites embedding miners everyone should just have an adblocker and whitelist as necessary,

>born finite existence
>discover adblocking
>recover potentially large amounts of wasted focus and time on corporate propaganda viewing
>re enable corporate propaganda at expense of wasting away life because ethics
nah

this, using adnauseam will help content creators while not bothering you with ads.

DCMA makes tampering or circumvention DRM illegal.

Even if you're not living in the US, DCMA will still try to fuck you.

you're too thick to understand that
>DRM="run this to decrypt that"
and the other dude says
>I don't run this, I won't access that and it's fine.

>Internet was born and largely rised without any ads

You say Compuserse, AOL and PLATO when need pay the 25$ USD fee? That places dont have ads because you are paying

I don't mind paying for quality content. If sites can't survive without ads, they might as well go offline.

> 4chins uses scripts

Hence the word "usually", as in "I usually block all scripts".

If, at some later date, Sup Forums stops delivering such high quality content, I will consider the approach to its existence within my approved surfing sites.

Meanwhile, this site gets surfed by what is effectively a throw-away machine.

You end up paying in any case. Back then you had your ISP companies. Now your operator is your ISP. You got the phone? You pay. You got the line? You pay.

Lots of service is available relatively or completely free. Back in the day it used to be available as well. We pay for the bloat, when we pay by ads.

so were all just going to ignore the trips and dubs in this thread?

I always turn my adblocker off on sites I frequently visit like news sites for example or on sites which give me valuable information. I wish there was an add on which let you simply turn off the adblocker for a site like a big button that appears for a few seconds on the bottom right corner.

You're a cunt.