/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/pbandzee/playlist/5nBP85QG3YnUcm1AZOkwtT
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response-page-2
youtube.com/watch?v=B9hbjKuRDX8
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
amazon.com/Sennheiser-Collapsible-Headset-Control-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_response
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/stands.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's /hpg/ blasting through their earholes?

Change Log:
- Added comments/upgrades/downgrades for sub-$150 headphones
- Reclassify HD25 as no amp needed

Additional comments:
- There isn't a clear upgrade path from portables like Porta Pro and HD25
- Sennheiser has too many models and like changing their names too much
- HDH50 are weirdly cheap in Canada

>Sounds Like Persona 5
open.spotify.com/user/pbandzee/playlist/5nBP85QG3YnUcm1AZOkwtT

you should tag each can with a signature and then you can give them a scale on how good they are with that signature. then you don't need to manually add upgrade paths because you can just show all headphones with greater rating than the one you are looking at with the same signature.

Pic related.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Signature tagging might be more difficult than expected because it's not a binary neutral or v-shape. Tagging signatures will help with filtering but I think upgrade paths are still better to be done manually. Upgrades also take isolation, portability, and other factors into account. It's something I want to do after I get the rest of the headphones done but actual implementation is still something to mull over.

under lcd-2 you should add "poor imaging and soundstage". HD800 needs "sibilant 6khz resonance"

Imaging and SS are quite good in my experience.

What is the second worst shitposter behind ?

M1060 or HE560?

*thinking emoji face*

You

HE560 isn't a ringing monster. Both have chink tier build. M1060 is more moddable.

m1060. Might as well get the he-400i and use APO equalizer if you're considering hifiman

I own one, but that doesn't really matter, it's bad for an open back. you can see this in the measurements as well as when tyll explains why. it's also very obvious when you compare it to other open backs that are good at imaging

It images better than any mid-fi headphone I've tried. How exactly are you determining imaging/SS from measurements? I call bullshit.

seriously what the fuck are you smoking. LCD-2s imaging is pinpoint.

Already have 600s, so no point in a 400i. I just want a "step up" for less than a grand, preferably something that doesn't have to be eq'd

>inb4 he400i is a step up

STAX SRS-3100
The $400-$1000 range is pretty barren desu

In terms of On-ear one upgrade from the PortaPro used to be V-Moda's M80, i believe it went out of production to give place to the XS though, bassy, on-ear, good warranty policies (same as M100), will probably last a life time, HD25 being a side-grade in this case. Upgrading from there would probably go in the circumaural direction, maybe picking options with similar signatures and/or good portability?

Portapro are kind of their own thing, being portable, cheap, open-back and warm, it's hard to know where to go from it if you want to keep all those characteristics.

Either used lcd-2s or electrostatics like the koss or stax options

Can someone explain why the m50x are bad.

the fazor was introduced precisely to improve the lackluster imaging and resolution, go look at the 300hz square wave measurements of both the lcd-2 and lcd-2f and then look at something with exceptional imaging and resolution like the hd800. the hd800 and lcd-2 are very interesting because the lcd-2 has a near perfect 30hz square wave while the hd800 has a near perfect 300hz
have you compared it to an hd800?

I've never observed a correlation between square wave and imaging. You're going to have to go much further to prove it one way or another. As it stands, all we have is anecdotal evidence, and nothing based on measurement (I don't believe it is possible to determine imaging and soundstage from the most common measurements). The biggest benefit of the fazor in my opinion is the reduction of ringing.

Are these any good?
And why do they cost more than half of my salary?

do you live in a third world country

they have very exaggerated midbass even by closed back standards.

M40x measure much better

here's tyll's thoughts:
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response-page-2

there's a section specifically for the lcd-2. take his opinion/experience on the matter as a grain of salt but I would take his opinion a million times over yours or anyone else's on this general

Noise cancelling and comfort are top notch but they sound like shit.

Regardless of what Tyll thinks, that is the non-fazor version of the LCD-2. The newer one has a "better" square wave response.

this conversation will just end up going in circles. polished shit is still shit. I'm not saying the lcd-2 is shit at imaging, I'm saying the fazor may have improved it but it will be poor in comparison to something like the hd800. not in comparison to midfi of course, but that's a stupid comparison to make in the first place considering the lcd-2 pre-fazor was once upon a time considered the best headphone in the world

>poor in comparison to something like the hd800
The HD800 has exceptional imaging and SS, literally everything is poor relative to it. That's not a fair argument.

Any recommendations on good affordable headphones? Ones I use for my computer are shitting out, and need a new set.

>That's not a fair argument.
by that argument it's not fair to compare the lcd-2's bass to the hd800 and say that the hd800 has poor bass in comparison. the lcd-2 has the flattest, deepest, and lowest distortion bass a headphone can have, while the hd800's rolls off.

so would you say that it would be valid to say that the hd800 has poor bass in comparison to the lcd-2? bass is to the lcd-2 what soundstage is to the hd800

youtube.com/watch?v=B9hbjKuRDX8

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
Take your pick.

Yes, the LCD-2 has better bass than the HD800. But by no means do the HD800 have shit bass. The LCD-2 just has really good bass. For something to be bad, it has to be worse than the "average" for that category. We can argue about what that average is, but saying something is bad because it's not the best is stupid.

>We can argue about what that average is, but saying something is bad because it's not the best is stupid.
no, the higher up you go the less flaws overall a headphone will have. if you're going to spend $1000+ on a headphone you better fucking nitpick on the things it's not good at compared to the competition. there is no meaning in comparing the lcd-2 which is $1000 to another headphone which is $300. the lcd-2's competition is not midfi, the comparison to the hd800 has nothing to do with its soundstage and me pointing to an extreme to prove my point saying "hey look, this sucks compared to the best!". no, I'm comparing the lcd-2 with it's direct competitor

>no, I'm comparing the lcd-2 with it's direct competitor
You do realize there are other headphones in the price range which aren't $1000 right? You can't say they're bad until you've demonstrated they are below average among all those headphones in the $1000 price range. The HD800 IS an extreme, as are many headphones at that price - when you get to the kilobuck price range, basically every headphone is exceptional at one or two things.

should i get ie80 or flc8s

>which aren't $1000 right
which aren't the HD800 fucking typo

>You do realize there are other headphones in the price range which aren't $1000 right?
yes, while we're at it let's compare the lcd-2 to the imaging of a stax :)
>basically every headphone is exceptional at one or two things.
and by the transitive law, they are deficient at one or two things to their competition. in comparison they suck.

ALRIGHT Sup ForumsENTS

Got a $50 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Wanna put it towards a new set of headphones.

Was using this: amazon.com/Sennheiser-Collapsible-Headset-Control-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO

Love it to death and love the sound quality, but no longer need a mic and the leather is coming to pieces a lot.

My budget is about $150 total (meaning $100 on top of that gift card).

WHAT BUY

>and by the transitive law, they are deficient at one or two things to their competition. in comparison they suck.
Wrong. Deficient implies worse than average, something which you have yet to prove.
>yes, while we're at it let's compare the lcd-2 to the imaging of a stax :)
STAX is a retarded weeaboo meme

Follow-up re: the leather falling apart:

I think I want cloth for the actual cups. is this a bad idea? What are the pros/cons?

>Wrong. Deficient implies worse than average
I was being cheeky but okay
>STAX is a retarded weeaboo meme
>electrostatics a design that has crazy fast transient response are a meme
kay

like I said this is going to go in circles

It's going in circles because you're logic is circular.
>muh transient response
Talk about how crystals affect sound next :)

did i waste $290?

>Talk about how crystals affect sound next
>muh muh muh audiophool termz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_response

whoops, sorry, it's actually measurable and verifiable. jackass.

There's no difference between "transient" response and regular high frequency response. So if bright sounding music sounds crisp and clear, you're good to go.

--Ethan

(Ethan Winer, bane of retarded audiophools)

Retard.

>I never understood why people feel they must resort to insults and accusations of incompetence. When I see that, the first thing I wonder is "how old is this person?"
>Ethan Winer

>"how old is this person?"
wow you actually posted a brainlet meme

>gets btfo
>y-youre underaged

no, I'm totally okay with being wrong lol. I like listening to what ethan has to say

Good, at least you recognize that.

you can still fuck right off

>"how old is this person?"

I'm not sure why you think baiting will get anymore out of me than a simple response, which now I'm done with because again, no adult conversation is present

To be real admitting you can be wrong puts you head and shoulders above the average /hpg/ user. gg

you both should be gone a long time ago, fuck off.

What are you gonna do about it cunt?

Is there a more accurate full-sized headphone currently in production than the HD600?

accurate to what?

No, obviously.

K612

Poorly sealed, non-representative test model of HD600, shitty retard independent of direction target curve. Disregarded.

forgot debunked :^)

Indeed, why don't people talk more about the k612 again?
>headphone has sealing issues on several measurements
>somehow that's the measurements fault and not yet another issue with the headphone

The K612 is hard as fuck to drive and not as comfortable. Plus, the K701 is almost as good.

Poor seals are a potential issue with all headphones and all measurement systems.

That didn't need to be said. Everyone knows IF's HD600 measurement has been very thoroughly debunked.

Add a reset button on the left, when a user clicks it, create a confirmation dialogue to reset all values.

You're my favorite poster, you know that?

Yet it consistently appears on HD600 measurements but not on K701, DT880 and others.
Poor seal might even explain why some people find the HD600 to have no bass, it doesn't seal well.
Comfort is subjective i think, but if we are going to argue over it might as well point that the newer K702 doesn't have bumps in the headband, which is a plus.

If you want a step up get the HD800, it's better in every possible way except for the frequency response. It's also very tightly matched and very consistent on the fit. The ideal headphone for equalization and the only dynamic headphone that is a clear step up from the HD600/HD650.

Admittedly they do sound like shit out of the box. Save up for it.

You're right comfort is subjective. The new K701 doesn't have the bumps either, and I'm really partial to the colorscheme it's got.

The HD600 is an old headphone and thus there's a billion measurements of it. There's naturally going to be some poorly sealed measurements of it because there's so many measurements of it.
That being said, here's a poorly sealed K701 for you.

>new K701 doesn't have the bumps eithe
Really? Uh, i always loved the K701 color, i guess it will go back to my "want" list.

K612 doesn't have more bass extension than the 600s I know this because i've owned them

Nice quads. But yes, SRH-1840 and SRH-1440 are more neutral on DF target curve.
>Tile's graph
kek, no the K612 isn't as neutral as the HD600.

it isn't as veiled though.

Yeah, I don't have it with me right now but I'll take a pic for you in a couple days when I get back to it. The only problem is the attached cable.

And here's a poorly sealed DT880 for you.

Even if it's poorly sealed, that graph is fairly representative of what I hear with the K702. Tight bass but sub bass lacking a lot. I was considering doing the bass mod on these because really the sub bass is just really weak

Cool, please do!
>only problem is the attached cable
Meh, same with my DT880, not an issue for me.

>it isn't as veiled because of giant measured tinny 2kHz spike
Wow.

Oh they defintely aren't. The k612 are some of the most detailed headphones i've listened to. They just fall short on the bass deparment

lol, you are digging a lot to find those, aren't you? it's almost as if there weren't half as many poor sealed HD600 measurements ;^)

>SRH-1840
Holy shit that's some serious nobass.

>SRH-1440
Also some serious nobass.

good bass is impossible on open headphones below like $900
just make do, scrubs

reference-audio-analyzer is really shitty though. They have several heads and the older one is just plain shit. Here's a comparison between two of them. The newer one (blue) shows almost exactly how the K712 sound like - rollercoaster. The older one barely makes a difference between these and the K702 (just like innerfidelity)

reference-audio-analyzer.pro/stands.php

That's wrong, since HD600 clearly has measurably good bass:

Diffuse field starts from 100Hz, it doesn't take sub-bass into account. The Shures are objectively more neutral than the Senns even if they are shitty headphones.

And look at the distortion. Even on that graph its bad, almost 4dB of midbass bloat.

The 650s are pretty OK.

>And look at the distortion
Don't all open dynamics have great ammounts of distortion on the lower end?