Is power line just a meme or are they actually a good option when you need wired internet far from a router

Is power line just a meme or are they actually a good option when you need wired internet far from a router

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1DVUwWZfzMw
monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020804&p_id=9548&seq=1&format=2
strawpoll.me/14012398
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a good option, although it depends on how good the electrics are in your house/building.

Just run the goddamn cat6 you idiot. Jesus christ.

Good option. I use it for both my dock and my Xbox outside my home office, although on my 1947 home wiring I seem to get a max of 35-50 mpbs where my internet connection is 100mpbs at the router.

I live in an apartment. That's why I'm looking into this.

POWER LINE BABY YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH OWWW AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOO
youtube.com/watch?v=1DVUwWZfzMw

It's great desu.

How does that even work?

What do you mean? It uses romex cables to route ethernet.

They're a decent option if you're unable to run cable due to exigent restrictions (renting, etc). I would recommend you make sure the adapters you get are HPAV2. I've got a couple TP-Link TL-PA8010P adapters and they work like a charm. ~70MB/s is the max speed I've seen in my setup.

Does it have some encryption or could some nigger connect through the power cables outside of your house?

Most come with built-in encryption. Pretty sure it's just AES-128, nothing spectacular.

Crosstalk between wires.

They'd have to plug into a wall socket.

Can't connect from outside the house, the network is physically separated from the outside by the firewall aka electric circuit breaker

>it depends on how good the electrics are
ackchually it depends on how good the "electrics" aren't - if everything is done correctly to keep your house from burning down then powerline probably won't work

>could some nigger connect through the power cables outside of your house
WE WUZ TESLA

>They'd have to plug into a wall socket.
So if I have sockets outside (in the garden) they can?
Hmm. It better have some encryption.

I use them. Long as you don't get dirt cheap chink shit-tier ones you should be fine.

I use these in a small flat as my wifi sucks i have them hooked up to a second router up and down speed are not affected

They are technically the same as wireless/DSL as they use the same modulation to transmit a signal and over a noisy connection so they suffer from the same downfalls. Results are heavily variable and dependent on your environment.

Just patch and paint over the wall when you leave. They'll never fucking know, they aren't checking that closely.

underrated post

How do you even do this? It seems like a lot of work

nigga try using your fucking brain

Then run a cable against the wall.

Just setup a wireless bridge you retard

but I'm too lazy

then i have the perfect solution for you, faggot

I have some tp-link ones
they randomly drop the connection and you have to press the reset button
they shit the bed on too many connections

Apartments ban cables now?

uh what am I supposed to be looking at here?

I use them, they're pretty good

Make sure you connect them INTO the wall and not into a power extensions though, or else it slows your internet speed insanely

did you already forget what we were talking about? jesus christ just end yourself.

the cable goes on the god damn floor.

oh I see, the picture was sideways so it looked weird as fuck. the problem with having it on the floor is that my router is in the basement and my computer is on the second floor so it would get in the way

>Landlords don't want fuckface tenants drilling holes in the walls now?
Uh, what the fuck do you think, genius?

It's really shit. Most power wires are cheap shit and you will SUFFER. A good eth cable costs way more than ordinary power cables, even though it's like the same material.

It isn't very fast compared to Gbit ethernet. It's also more expensive and less reliable than a cable. Only do this when you really cannot pull a cable (consider real effort because it's really comfy hen done).

I installed some in my mom's house because she insisted against me drilling holes through her floors for Ethernet.

I tried several sockets and noticed huge differences between them.
I suspect any two sockets on the same group and ideally on the same wire work fine.
Whereas sending the signal over the main switch box probably degrades the signal and definitely means much longer distances going back and forth.

tl;dr: it depends.

If your house has Coaxial wiring already where you need it, MoCA adapters are far more reliable and faster than powerline.

Bonded MoCA 2.0 can reach 800mbps+

>Most power wires are cheap shit

No they're not.
In 1st world countries they have to be pretty thicc due to fire safety regulations.

But they are unshielded and aren't twisted, so they pick up way more interference than purposely designed data cables.

If you have coax.
Wouldn't it make more sense to rip it out and replace it with Ethernet?
Or just make the holes a little bigger so you can have both?

Running cable isn't easy, especially if you're going between floors.

Sure, if you've got the equipment and want to put in the effort ethernet IS better, but coax is already installed in many houses and can achieve essentially gigabit speeds.

>Running cable isn't easy, especially if you're going between floors.

Tape the Ethernet to the coax and yank it through?

Who said anything about drilling holes?

No. They shouldn't even be legal. They work by distorting the mains sine wave, which can cause all sorts of problems, such as interfering with TV/radio signals in the surrounding area, power supplies wear out faster, and emitting harmful radiation.

Pretty much.

Get/borrow a stud detector and borrow a drill. Run the cable and some "surface mount" keystone blocks. Patch it up when you move out.

I have an used coax cable in my room that was used for TV a long time ago. It runs directly down to the splitter/amplifier in the basement so it should still get signal. Will it work with a MOCA adapter? Here's a wiring diagram of what I want to do.

I'm not entirely sure how I get internet to the PC without going through the Comcast modem at least but I don't know maybe the MOCA adapter can demoudulate the internet signal I'm not really sure.

depends on your wiring. if your wires are OK it's much better than wifi if there are walls and there is distance between the router and computer. Also there's virtually no packet loss.

You have to introduce the MoCA signal first at your router.

Modem > Router > MoCA adapter > coax > MoCA adapter > PC

You can use a 2nd splitter where you have modem/router so you can just have Coax into the splitter and then coax into the MoCA adapter and Coax into the Modem. Then Ethernet from the modem to the WAN on the router and Ethernet from the router's LAN to the MoCA adapter.

What I'd like to know is if you can use these to get internet access from an ISP.

Obviously not, dumb question.

>not realizing that every single step down power supply in every single piece of consumer electronics on the market has big power supply filter capacitors on the output to provide clean DC and that will shunt out any high frequency noise
>not realizing that most step down converters aren't linear and instead are buck converters or flyback converters that utilize high frequency switching anyway in order to keep transformer sizes down
>being this retarded

Yeah okay, I'll grant you loads like light bulbs and heaters run directly off the unflitered AC so they'll see the distortion but those are simple resistive loads that don't really care about distortion. Lightbulbs and heaters will work fine with modified sine waves, square waves, etc. Inverters would never be useful if they didn't. For all regular electronic loads like computers and stuff they take DC and it will be filter to hell and back to remove any kind of switching noise whether it be from the power line or the switching power supply itself. Don't talk out your ass, that's how new idiots are made.

there were actually power companies that tried to sell internet through their power lines through a scheme like that

>themoreyouknow.jpg

What's the thinnest/most flexible ethernet cable I can get? Need to run it exposed, can't drill holes. Gigabit preferred, 100Mbit acceptable.

Plastic Optical Fiber looked interesting but it seems to be very rarely used and I can't find much about it.

monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020804&p_id=9548&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice has some flat CAT5e cables.

so THAT'S how being a furry feels like.

they are as flat and flexible as those smaller telephone set cables

Amazon (EU/UK) has cat6 flat cables too. Also some which claim to be "cat7" but afaik that isn't a real category, the next is 8 (past 6a).

Nobody gives a fuck about some old fart messing around with a ham radio.

So I run the coax to the router into a T-splitter where the cable coming out of the wall goes into the splitter, then from the splitter goes to the router and then from the router by coax back to the splitter?

Or it goes from coax at wall to splitter, then coax from splitter to router, then ethernet from router to MOCA adapter, and coax from MOCA adapter back to splitter to wall to basement whole-house splitter to my room to second MOCA adpater to ethernet to PC?

lmao

I tried them, the latency was way worse than WiFi. Maybe in a place with different/better wiring it would work, but not in my case.

Thanks anons. Flat catX it is.

I'm serious, they is an old ham guy near me with a massive antenna on his shed roof and he is always bitching about people using LED lights and switched mode power supplies.

If it was up to him we would still be using 1960's equipment and massive iron cored transformers to power our computers as not to cause interference to his "hobby".

You know what I did? I installed a dimmer for my LED's in the loft room so now they wipe out a good section of his radio spectrum.

>So I run the coax to the router into a T-splitter where the cable coming out of the wall goes into the splitter, then from the splitter goes to the router and then from the router by coax back to the splitter?
Yup

>I installed a dimmer for my LED's in the loft room so now they wipe out a good section of his radio spectrum.
D E V I L I S H

Mine work great, but the wiring in my place isn't shit.

Completely outperforms wifi.

Ayo hol up lemme get this straight.
You just plug it in and plug in an Ethernet cable at both ends connecting your PC and router and it just werks?

Yes, same with MoCA adapters and Coax.

Stupid question, are Coax cables just as good as Ethernet?

Do these provide PoE too?
That would be perfect.

Over long distances no.

In my own testing i've seen 930-940mbps in both upload and download across a ~10 foot length of coaxial with two Bonded MoCA adapters at each end connected to a desktop on each end running iperf.

In real deployment (medium sized house) you'll see ~750-850mbps with bonded MoCA 2.0

If you're using MoCA 1.0 or unbonded MoCA 2.0 your speeds will obviously be lower.

If MoCA 2.5 ever gets consumer products it should allow coaxial to achieve 2.5gbps in ideal circumstances, likely much closer to 2gbps in actual deployment.

>You know what I did? I installed a dimmer for my LED's in the loft room so now they wipe out a good section of his radio spectrum.
Then you are supporting the botnet. Ham Radio Guy is just trying to live free, and you have gone out of your way to restrict him. Traitor.

Nothing wrong with LED's as it reduces my electric bill.

The whole point is I'm trying to avoid wifi. If I wanted wireless I'd just use an ap. It's an apartment not a factory.

Instead of using the powerline things, why don't you just pull cat6 alongside your power lines? No need to drill for that.

>cat6 alongside your power lines
enjoy your 10base-t speeds

Nah, it will do gigabit quite happily.

Compared to the family desktop computer sitting next to the router, I can reach nearly 80% of the max speed with my desk laptop in another room at the opposite end of the house.
However, there are frequent disconnects throughout the day varying anywhere between 15 seconds to 3 minutes.
I found the only way to remedy this problem was to get up to remove then re-insert the powerline adapter into the wall outlet.
The problem went away until the next event, but it was never a permanent solution.
That said, I still prefer it over my shitty wireless option.

I don't have the model number, but the brand is Trendnet.

strawpoll.me/14012398

It works ok. I think MoCa is better when you have the option. Powerline is inherently unstable.

Doublecheck if your modem supports MoCa in the first place. Some even have it built in.

You don't need another splitter for the router. You can run the MoCa adapter in series with the modem so long as the MoCa is also connected to the router through ethernet.

Not all MoCA adapters have Coax passthrough.

Though most will

What is a good cheap power line?

Shit onto a plate, freeze it, take it out of the freezer and stab yourself in the heart and die

Would these be fine for online gaming, or is it not going to compare to straight Ethernet for shit?

MoCA adds ~3-5ms of latency. Not sure about powerline.

it's ok but if you get brownouts it could die

it's usually pair encrypted

I literally just bought and hooked one up tonight. I could have run a Cat5-6 but Id have to go around all sorts of detail mouldings on doorways and walls and it would have looked like shit. Or run a wire around the outside of the house tucked inside paneling but fuck that. I was using a wireless USB adapter for a long time but its dying hard and can barely keep dialup speeds and just loses connections.

I got a "D-link AV2 2000 Ultra Series" for $100. Ive only been using it for an hour but so far its pretty good. Blow my wireless dongle right the fuck out. A little bit slower than if I was plugged right into the router on the other side of the house, but its still really fucking good.

Now to just see what happens if somebody turns on the microwave or toaster and see if it fucks the connection up.

>some anons are on dial-up
I am sorry to hear that.
How's using Sup Forums on dial-up treating you? How long do the thumbnails take to load (not the full image, just the thumbnails when the page updates)?

They have tons of issues. If you don't have a newer house with few breakers, don't bother.

It depends

If you live in a small house or apartment then powerlines are a great alternative without needing for disgusting CAT5/6/7 wires rolling around the floor

For medium two-storey residences, McMansions and larger its a colossal waste of shekels and investing in a proper wired setup for every major room is more ideal

> hasn't upgraded the wiring
Hope you have fire insurance

mine worked okay for a while then one day it decide it didn't want to work anymore and anytime i plug it in it stuffs the whole internet up

Same here, using one by TP-Link, think it cost me about $70. Works fine except sometimes when my Steam connection goes on and off like 20 times in 5 minutes. Strangely, I never time out in online games when it starts happening. Compared to wireless damn powerline is fucking great.

>get box of cat6 cable
>cut it
>cut holes in wall
>shove cable into wall
>pull through to other side
>put wall plates on
>done

easier if you have a standalone house with roof cavity rather than an apartment but still quite do-able.