Why do normies spend more than $200 on a smartphone? What justifies paying 5x the price of a Moto G5+?

Why do normies spend more than $200 on a smartphone? What justifies paying 5x the price of a Moto G5+?

status symbol

idk man my Moto X Pure is still lightning fast :)

>A study has discovered that the average person checks their device 85 times a day, spending a total of five hours browsing the web and using apps.
If you're going to use your phone so often, you might as well get a really good one to enjoy obviously

I don't have autism and check instagram posts of some dumb fucks every minute

Same, It's very snappy when tweaked a bit

>Why do normies spend more than $200 on a smartphone?

Stupidity. I can understand buying an expensive phone if you're a hardware enthusiast and you're into rooting, developing, using it as controller for your electronics projects, etc.

But to buy something for more than $100 when it performs the EXACT same functions for something less than $50 is just, plain, stupidity.

Not very different than people that buy brand new station wagons for $50,000 on finance because the tv told them to.

I don't know, not handling a cheap ugly plastic brick all day long?

The question was "why do normies", not "why do autistic Sup Forums shut-ins"

>really good one
>implying $1000 phones are even marginally better than $200 phones

into the case it goes

Are there any $200 phones that are as good as the Samsung S8?

depends on how you define "good"

if by good you mean shitty software, shitty battery life, and shitty durability, then yes, every $200 phone is better than the S8

>IPS

prove it

because most people have never actually used a budget phone

i recently bought a moto e4 and am blown away at what you can get for $50

/FUCKING THREAD

>buy $750 samsung phone
>looks like any other generic shitty chink shit phone
LOL

For the first time, their newer phone actually looks good, but before then people are so retarded for buying them. You can't even tell which version it is.

>*takes 5 minutes to disable what I don't want*
now what fagboi?

recommend me a moto pls
>poorfag

What price range?
Do you prefer battery life over performance (it's important for choosing a model)

>faster
>better pictures
>better videos
>infinitely better screen

3x the price isn't really that much when you think about the improvements to your day to day life.

>when you think about the improvements to your day to day life

kys

I got an expensive, top-of-the-line phone and have used it for 5 years and will probably keep with it for a few more since it's still not significantly inferior than the new phones and isn't loaded with bullshit gimmicks and retarded resolution.

It's worth the investment if you don't buy the new one every year or other year like a sheep. You can get a cheap one that does only what you need, but I bet you're gonna need to buy a new one more often than I am.

It's like investing in building a really nice PC that's going to have you set for the next ten years unless you're some kind of mouth breathing gamer who needs your computer solely to play the newest games every week.

I am not arguing that with you.

200euro
battery
just want a moto for calls really and no headaches

Moto E4 Plus
Huge 5000mah battery but a bit worse performance than the moto G5 for the same price,

I need a phone with a great camera to capture moments with my family and friends. Chink phones can't do that.

this but pictures of myself

The absence of unpatched security flaws for more than one year

normies want better cameras for instagram selfies

What you need is a camera

No gyrometer

What's the point of having a phone that can't handle Gmaps.

Still using my good ol' LG G2, probably going to buy a cheap second hand LG g5 before the end of the year.
Might try to get a HTC 10 if I can find a cheap one.
As long as normies keep pumping flagship phones into the used market every year, I'm fine.

I'm not a tourist. I can't carry around a camera all day or to work.

>what is lineageOS

budget smartphone cameras already blow 2014 flagships out of the water, also no one gives a shit about your photo quality unless you are getting paid to take them

Yet they don't buy a proper camera.

Normies are weird man.

nah galaxy s8 camera shits all over any budget or chink phone

The battery is starting to fall on a lot of them.

>what is lineageOS

A pajeet Android knockoff full of bugs

>buy cheap chinkshit phone
>buy another cheap chinkshit phone within a year or two

>buy flagship phone
>drive that shit into the ground over 5+ years
Fuck, man. I still have all my old phones and they are all joys to play with. I just reflashed stock Froyo on my OG Droid for a nostalgia trip. I miss the old android Market but as far as the hardware, it's as good as the day I bought it, battery still holds it's charge well enough, all the buttons work perfectly, no scratches or burn in on screens, etc.

nobody wants to carry bulky cameras made specifically for photos, they want a all in 1 device which can also take nice pictures.

So normies can't use their phones the way they want?
I wouldn't be so sure with that autism statement if I were you.

g5+ has shit small battery.

thanks ill check it out
any other good motos?

Now you're left with what everybody has on their low tier phones. Really makes you think.

Not that guy, but I am a semi-serious photographer and I much prefer my phone to be more capable instead of relying on having my mirrorless with me all the time.

It's a sad fucking time when you realize that most of your 42mpix images are being viewed as a 2-inch thumbnail on a 5 inch screen, indecipherable from a picture taken from an s8. The truth is the most popular photography apps are meant to be used on smartphone, and that accelerated the death of the consumer camera.

Maybe when we get more augmented reality shit or more mainstream VR where size of the image matters greatly, then I'll only use my real camera.

I have a chink Xiaomi phone Note 4. The camera is terrible. Even my 4 year old iPhone 5s is better. If you take pictures a lot it's worth it to spend on a flagship device

Ricoh GR and Sony RX100 aren't bulky.

It is an extra device, true, but most people have two pockets.

>Tired of having to rely on custom ROMs and out to replace my by then 3 year old HTC One m7 with a phone that just works.
>Buy a Lenovorola X Style on it's release day because it had that perfect price to spec ratio and Lenovorola was still holding up to their promise on quick updates.
>Fast forward a year
>The already poor battery life had become worse with maybe 2 hours of screen time at best. Has to be charged twice a day and while charging the phone becomes so laggy you can't even use it.
>Lenovo broke their promise on fast updates, refuses to patch that annoying bluetooth bug pretty much forcing me to once again rely on custom ROMs.
I stopped buying cheap phones because of this shit. All I want is a device that works fluidly, easily lasts me 2 to 3 years and receives timely updates for the majority of that time. Pic related, the Nokia 8 is what I just upgraded to to replace the PoS that is the Moto X Style/Pure..

>buy cheap chinkshit phone
>buy another cheap chinkshit phone within a year or two
actually the correct is:
- spend $200 every 2 years
or
- spend $800 every 3 years

>buy last year's flagship
>decent price
>excellent features and performance
>lasts for years

what phone user? my SGN3 still feels quick with lineageOS

Because they are poor and can't afford to brag about their new summer beach house, their new boat, their new car or their new whatever to the equally superficial and retarded people around them.

How the fuck else am I supposed to 3d print my schwanz and randomly send it to apple?

I just wait until the next year and but the last year's flagship. My Droid Turbo only cost me $150 for the 64gb version when the Turbo 2 came out.

I have a Moto G4 and this thing is gold. I don't think I really need more RAM than what it has, though I'm interested in oreo and it seems they silently dropped support for that.

Still holy shit I'm at the point at which they could tell me "this is the best phone in the market for the next 2-3 years" and I wouldn't complain. Maybe I'm a bit on the poor side but really I have very few complaints. Maybe that it gets hot.

>Since the time of posting this, we have learned of some errors in our marketing materials around Android O upgrades for moto g4 Plus. It’s our general practice for the moto g family to get one major OS upgrade per device, so it wasn’t originally planned for Android O. But it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading moto g4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit into our schedule, we’ll update our software upgrade page when we have more info.

>It’s our general practice for the moto g family to get one major OS upgrade per device

tbf doesn't hw req change with every other android version

my friends s8 edge has fucking burn-in on the bottom and ride hand side of the screen, how pathetic is that for an expensive ass phone. samsung is garbage

The problem with that is that it usually takes ages. And I mean ages. Still I'm ok with that. I'm using some sort of obscure spaniard ROM that's been pretty much making my experience more than bearable for quite a few months now. To the point I'm almost afraid to switch to anything else.

Did you unlock it?

>why do normies ___

"guys do i fit in yet? im not normal i swear XD"

Which rom?

Mines been running slow as shit lately. Maybe time for a factory reset?

AOSGP X

Thing is, the moment I heard that newer updates were borked I stopped updating, and that was also months ago. I use the 2.1.1-2070610 version at the moment.

Eventually I will have to change that but I don't have much time and I had my problems with resurrection remix and LOS.

Liar, they literally make the button move slightly so this doesn't happen anymore.

>tfw still using piece of shit nokia that barely has enough processing power to read text messages

Life is cheap when you have no friends to impress with lavish consumables.

Hi, "Normie" here.

I'm too busy getting work done with my iphone to spend time installing custom ROMs or trying to do CS homework with a bluetooth keyboard on some Android X device.

(You know, making money and getting on with my life instead of pretending that the hundreds of hours I spend trying to make the boot up sequence on my Moto v.Whatever silent is anything other than autistic masturbation.)

>Getting a secondhand 8.0 tablet for $100 soon
>Last official OTA update was N 7.0
>Only one custom ROM for it
>Curry Remix 7.1.2
>Last update for Curry Remix released not too long ago for that particular ROM for said device
>RR plans on starting O development

Better than nothing, decent size, decent screen, 1080 resolution + 1080p playback and probably will never ever officially get O OTA anyway

you sound like a cock sucker

>Why do people buy nice phones I don't understand!!!!
>oh btw I always put my phone in a giant rubber dildo holster
Have you considered not doing that?

and yet here you are on Sup Forums

IPhones are for American girls.

Check ou the Moto G5S, recently came out and its an upgraded version of he G5.

True that.

European shithole here, this chick I know has an iPhone 6S Plus and when she saw the Redmeme note 4 she wanted to replace that shit with it. The iTunes thing actually bothers her a lot.

Moto G4 owner here.
>Why do normies spend more than $200 on a smartphone?
Because you get such things as an actually usable camera and a not-so-laggy cellphone after that price point.
> What justifies paying 5x the price of a Moto G5+?
I'm forced to use an iPhone SE at werk (even though my moto g has dual sim, durrr). It cost literally twice as much as my Moto G. As much as I hate iOS, the hardware is excellent. The Moto G doesn't compare. It's a slow, awkward and buggy piece of shit with a shitty camera.

We call them normies, but honestly society in it's whole is pretty autistic nowadays.
Seriously, is it more autistic to have a hobby you like to spend some time on, or to be obsessed with this plain surrogates of social life to the point that you don't really know what friendship is anymore and that you don't exist if not as a facebook profile and a bunch of messages?

At least, I'm talking for myself and some CS friends, I know the limits of tech and don't have the illusion that shitty online interaction is "friendship", it's like thinking all the anons on this board are your friends.

>It's a slow, awkward and buggy piece of shit with a shitty camera.
which one?

Heheh, nice bait there. Loved when you said

>Moto G4 owner here

Comedy gold right here.

What? Even my old ass Nexus 5 is still getting security updates every month

My Zenfone 2 is almost 3 years old and still lasts all day. As smooth as any modern flagship as well

>b-b-but muh Geekbench!

Moto G4.

Who the fuck works on a fucking smartphone?

Does anybody have clock speeds for the Apple A11?

I need a sub 300$ phone to upgrade from my Nexus 6 I got in 2015 for 200 bucks, I got such a good deal every other phone over 200 bucks feels like a ripoff now

I have a 14 years old sister with a shitty cheap Samsung phone with flash and she gets 300 likes in Facebook and 500 on Instagram for every shitty selfie. Pretty much they don't care about the quality of the pictures they care about her ass and tits.

What's her insta?

Who cares its a phone

What's wrong with the Nexus 6? Could always look at Moto Sup Forumss

Fuck yourself creep

dis

agreed except smart phones cost 6-800 mexican jumping beans.

proud owner of a moto g4 which cost about $70 a year ago.

I used to feel like OP when I was getting Windows phones for $35 and they'd perform great. But so far using Android $200 seems like the entry point for something that won't shit. Moto G4 was shit, ZTE V8 started out great but it's falling apart and zero updates. Went over $200 and just ordered an Honor 8 so fingers crossed.

>What justifies paying 5x the price of a Moto G5+?
Charging indicator LED
Physical back and settings buttons
Camera that doesn't suck
GPS that isn't shit

i own a moto g4 but i spent $35 for a kindle fire to be used as a remote for my denon avr and to control my HTCP.

is an $800 phone better than mine? YES(spent 15 years in the wireless world with all the latest greatest handed to me on a near monthly basis).
however, my g4 and kindle do the job and that $700 i saved went towards a sweet pair of headphones.

I don't have too many complaints about it, other than the camera becoming slow over time and battery life is not as it used to be, I'm in no rush to upgrade but I'd like something with better specs and at least a fingerprint scanner for added security

>my friends s8 edge has fucking burn-in on the bottom and ride hand side of the screen
Yeah, no, calling bullshit on this. I've had an s6 since they came out and I can't see any hint of burn in when using the full screen colour apps.

The LG G3 was my first smartphone (I guess it was a flagship when it came out?) and now I have a Note 5. I can honestly say I am done with these expensive devices! All I need is removable battery, good SoT, mSD, and a decent camera. I may pick up a used LG V20.

I actually bought a $100 phone, the Moto 4 Play.

I dropped it once and it stopped working.

Figured it was a fluke. Bought a second one and imaged the old one over perfectly.

Dropped it less than 2 feet, broken again.

I'm buying a $500 phone now so I don't have to spend more replacing shitty broken ones with garbage solder joints. You don't have to buy an iPhone or a $1,000 Android, but it's not worth buying a $100 phone that will shit the bed from a 6 inch drop.