/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Apple drops Bing in favor of Google for Siri web search results on iOS
phonearena.com/news/Apple-drops-Microsofts-Bing-in-favor-of-Google-for-Siri-web-search-results-on-iOS_id98360

Verizon starts rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat for HTC One M9
phonearena.com/news/Verizon-starts-rolling-out-Android-7.0-Nougat-update-for-the-HTC-One-M9_id98362

HTC and Google announce a $1.1 billion agreement for the future of Pixel
gsmarena.com/htc_and_google_announce_a_11_billion_agreement_for_the_future_of_pixel_phones-news-27383.php

HTC U11 Plus rumored for November with 6-inch 18:9 bezel-less screen
gsmarena.com/htc_u11_plus_rumored_for_november_with_6inch_189_bezelless_screen-news-27406.php

Foldable Samsung phone gets certified in its home country
gsmarena.com/foldable_galaxy_x_phone_gets_certified-news-27437.php

Android Oreo for Huawei Mate 9 could be arriving soon
gsmarena.com/oreo_update_for_huawei_mate_9_could_be_arriving_soon-news-27432.php

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/it/telefoni-cellulari/lg-LGH930-lg-v30-cloud-silver
lg.com/de/handy/lg-V30-cloud-silver
youtube.com/watch?&v=Lvvb4MHXfsk
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the note 8 (1030€) worth it over the s8+ (900€) or s8 (800€)? Originally i planned to get a regular s8 but then i noticed the s8+ is only 100€ more but then i noticed that the note8 is just 130€ more compared to the s8+. Which one should i get im so confused but t b h that dual camera and AoD notetaking on the note8 are looking sexy as fuggg i just dont know if i can justify spending the money for it.

Elephone s8 or xiaomi mi a1? LTE bands aren't a problem.

Is Sony Xperia Z3+ a good option? (pros, cons)

I've never had a Note so take this post with a grain of salt. What I have heard is that people who were reviewing the Note 8 said that they had a hard time remembering to use the S-pen, rendering it a useless gimmick really.

If you really think you'll use the stylus it might be worth going for the Note 8, but if you're dead set on Samsung there's little reason to not go for the much cheaper S8/S8+ instead. I'd avoid Samsung because of the software, lack of updates, and useless hardware Bixby button. But to each their own.

I would go for the Mi A1 simply because it's an Android One phone and you'll get updates. The software on the Elephone S8 is apparently not too bad and close to stock Android, but it's a budget phone and those tend to get little to no support in the way of updates.

>buy Nillkin case for my Galaxy A5 2017
>it arrives after 20 something days
>realize it is too thin for my liking
A-at least it is pretty and provides more grip, but I don't trust it to protect that much.

To other A5 owners: have you updated to Nougat? How is the performance and battery life?

Is asking about tablets recommendations ok?
>200$-250$
>7'-10' preferably 7 inches
>easily rooted
>mainly for reading PDFs

>avoid samsung
What to choose then?

>Xperia Z3+
I would avoid because of the housefire Snapdragon 810 in this phone. Same issues with heat and battery life that plagued the Xperia Z5/Z5c and other 810 phones like the HTC One M9.

I don't know if it exactly matches the 810 in raw performance, but I'd much prefer to have a phone with a lower end chip that didn't heat up so bad and drain battery as harshly. Maybe look into the Xperia X (or X Compact if you like smaller phones) if you like the look of Xperia phones. It only has a Snapdragon 650 inside, but it should be better in terms of heat and battery life, while still being competitive with the 810 in performance. Might be more expensive because it is a 2016 phone, but I have found the X on sale for $230.

Issues with Xperia phones is that if you decide to unlock your bootloader, it removes some camera DRM that will permanently make your camera perform worse (unless you back up the DRM first, and if you restore it, it only works with the stock ROM).

desu i'm not deadset on samsung but they just seem like the only 2017 flagships with ip68 compliance. Well those and the lg g6 but
>2017
>quad core processor

So...
What's actually the difference between mediatek and Snapdragon?

When Lenovo is releasing more phones? I want Lenovo p3 or something similar with +4000mAh battery and pure android.

looking at xiaomi phones and i'm kind of interested because i want to replace my shitty 5s after the recent ios update. All I want is a decent screen size, decent battery, decent camera and decent performance. Expandable storage is a plus too. Can spend up to 300 CAD

why is lg marketing so shit

i just want a v30

Mediatek is a manufacturer, Snapdragon a line of SOCs. Hope that clears it up for you.

> iphone x
+ blue bubbles keeps thots at ease
- ugly (entire bezel and the unibrow)

> samsung s8
+ looks sharp as fuck
- green bubbles scare away thots, shitty fingerprint placement near camera lens

Waiting on the Pixel 2 now. If a gun was pointed to my head, I'd rather have an s8 (let alone a note 8) over an iphone x.

The only thing Apple could do to excite me (and I would buy in a fucking heartbeat regardless of price) would be a bezel-less iphone SE with iphone 7 (or greater) specs.

I know chinkfones have rediculous specs, like the mi mix2 with 8gb ram, but are their cameras meme-tier? I don't want a fucking phablet either that looks like I'm carrying an ipad mini in my pocket.

>tfw lg will cuck europe out of v30 just like they did with the v20

What's the most weeaboo phone?

RN4X

Sorry, I meant mediatek SoCs as opposed to Qualcomm ones. I kinda know Snapdragons have way more custom roms and better GPUs, while the ones made by mediatek are cheaper and have more powerful CPUs.
Is it correct? Is there more to know?

The new Pixel XL 2 should have tiny bezels and IP68 certification. But no headphone jack. Instead you get clean stock Android and fast updates for two years.

Xperia XZ1/XZ1C are IP68 certified and have headphone jacks, but they have large bezels for 2017 standards. Sony updates are slower but they do eventually update their phones.

Nokia 8 has a headphone jack but no IP68 (only IP65 or something like that - splash resistance), but like the Pixel you get stock Android and the promise of fast updates. It has large bezels though.

Mediatek chips are cheaper than Snapdragon, but lack the documentation that Qualcomm provides so you don't get the same level of custom ROM support that you get on Snapdragon devices.

You'll want to make sure that the device you purchase has support for the LTE bands your carrier uses. Basically in Canada you absolutely need Band 4. Band 7 is used for better speeds in some places, so I'd consider it a must as well, but most chinkphones support it as it's a common band in Asia as well. Bands 12/13/17 are currently being deployed, and will be the hardest to find in a chinkphone, but if your phone supports these it will get a dramatic speed boost in areas where it is deployed.

Ahhh noted, thank you!

I need something that is war proof, an extremely reliable smartphone, the Toyota of smartphones, a phone that won't break even if I drop it without a phone cover and that has one of the longest existing battery life spans. And on top of it, it must be cheap. In other words something very cheap and reliable. I don't care if it doesn't have a camera, if it doesn't have whatever features normalfags want their phones to have, I don't even need it to make phone calls, I just want something with internect connection with the extra bonus of knowing what time is it with one touch.
>country
Fuck you botnet I am behind 10 proxies you'll never get me.
Thank you in advance.

To my knowledge Mediatek usually either sticks to ARM reference designs or creates things like 10 core CPUs where all cores are equal. They suck at releasing sources and complying to GPL regulations (even more than Qualcomm) which is why you don't get custom roms.

Their recent SOCs aren't that bad for general use though, I've heard good things about energy efficiency and obviously the low price. I haven't seen any Mediatek outperform the top of Qualcomms chips though, maybe if you compare them to equally priced counterparts they can though. The Helio X30 beats the Snapdragon mid range lineup I believe.

I sometimes hope for a new manufacturer to pop up, Qualcomm isn't perfect. Huawei seems to do well with their HiSilicon Kirin line, Samsung with Exynos too. If NVidia could come back with a new SOC like in the Nintendo Switch, it would make a decent ARM laptop or UMPC.

Any Japanese phone with a shit ton of stickers.
A true weeaboo would never buy anything from China.

>pixel XL 2 ... no headphone jack

Welp, looks like I'm getting an s8 bois.

Or I'll wait to hear of any rumors of the new SE in a few months

V30 is confirmed coming to Europe: regional web pages of the V30 already exist.
e.g. For italy
lg.com/it/telefoni-cellulari/lg-LGH930-lg-v30-cloud-silver
And Germany
lg.com/de/handy/lg-V30-cloud-silver

japanese all use iphones so if you wanna be a true weeb you gotta shell out

Have you looked into cat phones? They're not exactly cheap but they should be just about indestructible.
If you want to go full retard with battery life look into oukitel which is cheaper too, but not durable.
Other than that I don't really know what to suggest you. Maybe you could get a more recent dumbphone but I don't think that would be a good buy.

>Mediatek and Qualcomm chips

Thanks a lot for your input.

I've always seen mediatek SoCs being shat on all the time on Sup Forums. Is it ultimately because of the ROM support? If so I think I'll reconsider them.

youtube.com/watch?&v=Lvvb4MHXfsk

It's over. iShills BTFO!

Qualcomm is shit, they don't provide drivers for older hardware which is why you don't get major Android version updates a lot of the time. The 801 is more than capable of running Oreo but is not officially supported. But Mediatek is worse, they don't provide the proper documentation even for up-to-date chipsets. I would avoid. I mean sure it would be fine for a year, but even if you can unlock the bootloader there will be no custom ROMs for you to install.

Should I buy or not?

I'm currently using a galaxy s4 that dies pretty quickly and overheats and camera stops working for the occasional time I use the phone for a long time.

Should I just wait until the LG v30 is discounted

Nope, not getting any updates anymore and Leeco is kill.

Does anyone know the clock speed of an Apple A11?

Yeah, it's mostly ethics and SOC support. If you don't care about major android updates, a Mediatek SOC will serve you well.

This is actually a problem that is deeply connected to ARMs architecture and hard to fix. With desktop CPUs you can run one unaltered OS on a wide range of CPUs, ARM needs a specialized kernel for every chip, making development much harder.

Where the fuck is the pixel 2? I'm about to buy the iphone 8 desu.

it'll be announced oct 4

Should I install a custom rom as soon as I get my S8?

I happen to travel a lot and want 2 things on a phone:
Good camera and awesome battery life. Also not a phablet. What is a good phone for me?

Have you perhaps considered a real camera instead of a smartphone

Anyone else hyped for the Android One Moto X?
>5.2" display (kinda big for me but I don't have much choice)
>good software support (hopefully)
>3000mah + sd630 means good battery life
I'm getting it if the camera is good. The only downside is no Qi despite having a glass back

Would I get any benefits from rooting my Google Pixel XL?

What's the best phone for around $300-400? Are any of them worth it? or should I just get an LG G6?
I need a phone with a headphone jack and expandable storage.
I'd like one I can get on Amazon.

You can't. If you really planned on installing a custom ROM you fucked up badly by purchasing an S8.

I was thinking of getting one, but I'm guessing you can't put a rom on it?

Finally received my Honor 8 today, it's all set up.

thanks for the recommendation fa/g/s

mah + sd630 means good battery life
This means shit battery life you need at least +4000mAh battery.

I want a really powerful phone that can last all day, preferably Android. Any recommendations? I have a lot of money to spend.

samsung s8+

anyone here tried the moto g5s plus? My mom wants a samsung j7 but maybe she's better off with a g5s or g5s plus

nah the G5 Plus has really good battery, at least with my experience. 3000mah with a 625. I imagine the X4, basically being a slightly better G5, will fare similarly.

what are the best mobile games?

hearthstone

Yes but there are better alternatives with +4000mAh battery so why even bother with motorola?

what alternatives?

upcoming Lenovo p3 with 5000mAh battery.

>upcoming

I'm assuming you're talking about the Samsung Galaxy S8 and not the Elephone S8.

North American version (SD835) doesn't have an unlockable bootloader. Last time I checked you couldn't even root. World Version (Exynos) does have an unlockable bootloader, so you can get root (in the process this disables Samsung Pay because it trips Knox), but since the processor is Exynos the only ROMs available to you would be ROMs based on the stock Samsung ROM (since Exynos chips don't have good documentation you can't get AOSP based ROMs like Lineage).

Well you can't get that android one moto x either.

Sword of Xolan, is bretty gud

Android One. And your alternatives probably all have 5.5"+ displays.

Axon 7

so you just completely ignore the price gap between moto g5 plus and moto x?

Well lenovo p-series phones are under 300 dollars and you get sd 6xx processor with 5000mAh battery and slim design, which makes it superior at battery life.

First impressions? How much did you get it for? Camera any good? Does it run smoothly? Also, does it run stock android?

I want a phone under 100$(strongly preferably rooted), with:
-long battery life
-sd support
-not unusably slow
-as cheap as possible without losing either of those (I'm currently using a 25$ phone, its way too slow, a bit to small storage wise(8GB), absolutely amazing battery, rooted pic related)

I don't give a fuck about fancy features or the screen, I just don't want unbearable lag, I want my sd card to work, and I want it to last.

I'd prefer a new one but I'd settle for a used version if it trumped any newer ones.

Why? It's only 50 dollars cheaper than a brand new G6.

Good DAC and stereo speakers

do we know how long until the lg g6 gets android 8? Didn't they skip 7.1?

Moto G4 Plus 64GB for $180 flat yea or nay?

Coming from an OnePlus X; so I wanted something similar sized.

It's same width as my oneplus X, and slightly taller.

I paid 269.99 (or was it 279.99?) for 64gb version from newegg, they had a sale last week. Normally on amazon they're around 330 usd for 64gb model. Unfortunately they only had that deal in the blue or white, and I wanted the black. So I ended up choosing the white.

First impressions, pretty good. I tried messing around with EMUI stock launcher for a bit, got annoyed by the looks, instantly went back to Nova Launcher.

Pros:

I do like how they handle the setting/notification drag down over Oxygen OS.

Also the fingerprint scanner is BLAZING fast, there's absolutely no perceivable delay, but this is a pretty amateur opinion since this is my first time with a smartphone with a fingerprint scanner.

Having an IR blaster is pretty nice, since I do use a Samsung 40" UHD tv as my main monitor, so being able to turn it on with my phone is pretty fucking nice.

Settings menu was pretty easy to navigate, which made setting up my phone really easy.

Performance manager app is pretty neat, and well built.

Stock eye comfort is really nice.

Most of the gimmicky gestures were disabled, instead of enabled

USB-C

Cons:

Moderate amount of bloatware, less than when I had my Samsung S4, but more than when I had the OnePlus X.

The biggest complaint is the awful widget support they have on their stock apps. For example their calendar app is actually pretty nice to use, but the widget is straight up brokenly bad. Also their weather app doesn't have a widget, or option to put it on your notification tray. These aren't big deal since I just switched back to Google Calendar and Weather Underground for those.

The stock clock/alarm/timer app is fucking AWFUL. They make you scroll through numbers to set your alarm and time. Literally having to spin up from 0 or down from 59, for minutes, is the dumbest fucking design decision ever.

The screen protector i bought doesn't fit in my case, the case slightly puts some lateral pressure on my screen protector, causing it to lift on side. Thankfully the free case I got from newegg works, but it's not as high quality as the one i purchased from amazon.

Camera: haven't had a chance to fidget with it at all; but from initial glance, looks better than my oneplus x.

Xiaomi Redmi 4X
Umi Super
Gretel GT6000

I think you're asking too much for too little. Only phones in that price range are going to be super shitty, or old, or used. It's not going to last you long because you'll be outdated from the time you get it and wont get updates. Since it'll be running a bottom of the barrel processor it's going to be slow, unless you go used (sometimes even flagship stuff from a few years ago is slow today).

I dunno user, Im using pic related and it has the speed I want, the battery is just unbearable. I'd be willing to let lose a few shekels if its really a monumental difference to pay around 100$

and don't they sell smaller phones anymore? seems like the price hikes on new phones are because of their screen size or something. I could use a 4.5-5" phone just fine, especially if I could save on it.

>What does your storage usage look like?

I'd like to get an iPhone 8 but I'm wondering if the $150 is worth the difference. 32GB iPhone 7 for $549 or a 64GB iPhone 8 for $699.

$849 for 256GB seems silly and that's approaching $1,000 territory. $150 seems worth it for double the storage and a much better device, at least camera according to the tests.

I am currently running a Pixel XL after being forced to return my Note 7.
I loved the Note 7, which replaced my Note 4, which replaced my Note 2.

The Pixel XL I have only ever been "meh" on, it's s functional phone with shitty oversized bezels and a really crap battery life, can't make it through a day of heavy use. (I am a road warrior and I hit it hard all day every day) My Notes made it easily to bed time.

Should I go the Note 8 or wait for the Pixel XL 2? If money isn't a consideration, is there anything better out there to look at?

Before the apies screech, I literally spend hours per day on my phone and am happy to pay for a better experience.

Currently have a jailbroken iPhone 6 on 10.1.1.

Unless something happens to my phone or iOS11 gets jailbroken, I don't see myself updating to iPhone 8 or X.

Should I get a Galaxy S8?

Try going to GSMArena's battery compare page and comparing scores.

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

problem is they don't usually bother reviewing low-end stuff like your K10, but you can hazard a guess if you find a phone with similar processor and battery capacity

You can go to wal-mart and they'll sell you a 4 inch phone probably. oh look a $20 phone, the Alcatel IDEAL

cutting edge specs:
>4.5" 480x854 TFT screen
>Qualcomm MSM8909 processor (Snapdragon 210, so shitty they don't brand it Snapdragon anymore)
>1780 mAh Battery
>The Best Buy listing even lies and says it has "4G of memory" (really has 1GB RAM, 8GB storage)

So yeah there's a niche of smaller phones that cut corners on everything. You can find a couple high end 4.x" phones but they are rare and you'll pay quite a bit. (Z/X/XZ1 Compact from Sony, iPhone SE). The rest make way too many compromises much like the IDEAL.

I know they sell burners, but why don't they sell any smaller phones for over 80$ and under 120$ ?there's some weird gap between poorfag phones and "budget" phones nowadays, not only in price but size too.

No. You can get a Moto G4 Plus on Amazon right not for 180. Already has 7.1 and Oreo is promised.

I went from 32GB Nexus 5X to a 64GB iPhone 6S, and the doubling of storage was pretty dramatic. I have a lot more music on my phone now and still have space. It's not perfect and you always want more, but 64GB is comfortable whereas 32GB felt more spartan. Not to mention a faster processor and a phone which will be supported for a year longer.

I'm still mourning the headphone jack.

(evil)
If you like the Note series better I'd say go with that. I've found that the actual device matters less and it is more your usage patterns. One thing to make sure is to have auto brightness on and Facebook deleted.

Assuming you're American you'd be buying the Snapdragon 835 variant, and you like jailbreaking, you're probably not going to like how locked down the S8 is. I don't know if there's root, i know you can in the Exynos version.

What kind of SOT can the G5+ get?

I got the G4 Play for the removable battery but I've already gotten burned on shit Chinese knockoff batteries, think I'm done worrying about removable ones.

poorfag here. Should I get a Galaxy S7 on eBay for $200 or just save a little more and get the S8 for $500?

tired of the chinkshit (my xiaomi and doggee phones shit the bed around the 1 year mark) but its hard to leave the warm, loving chinks when you're a college student scraping by

also, is $200 for an S7 on ebay a scam?

im in clapistan

Scary reviews on Amazon desu. Must be the chink transition.

200$ for an s7 looks like a scam desu, get a moto g5

what's the cheapest phone with a physical qwerty keyboard that can do sms, calls, email, and basic web browsing

i want this phone so badly. just look at it. it's so pretty. the pink one in particular looks great. and it doesn't have a big display. I can't think of any cons, besides maybe the camera. anyone else looking forward to it?
i don't know about sot, but that damn thing would last me two days straight.

>pink one
Gay

honestly, as much as i love pink, i'd probably end up getting a black one because i'm too much of a pussy

The camera itself isn't even that bad. You're going to post process everything you take in the first place so you can manually correct any issues then. Low light is an issue while recording, I've yet to see stills that are indicative of actual picture quality. The high speed shit is pretty impressive though. I think the software is the most important feature and it's 8.0 with verified Project Treble integration which will hopefully expand the lifetime and expedite the updating process from both MFG and custom ROM developers. It has the flagship processor although it may be downclocked some I don't have issue with it since it should be relatively easy to force it back up if necessary. Battery life is supposed to be 1.5d with heavy use from some faggot you know is on his phone all day.

go on craigslist and find a $5 qwerty phone from 2011. might be capable of basic web browsing. For a modern phone that can run apps you're looking at a Blackberry, the Priv is old and expensive and the Keyone is expensive for what you get with questionable build quality.

You can do cheap, you can do the functionality you want, you can have a physical keyboard. But you can only pick two.

I'm too poor to afford one or this looks like the perfect phone

me too, user. i'd probably have to import it, too, since i live in the us. i might give in anyway, though. i've wanted a compact sony phone since the Z3 Compact was announced.
Yeah, the camera Sony put in the XZ1 and XZ1 Compact seems way better than what Sony has done in the past, from what little I've seen.

So I fell for the pajeet phone meme and bought a redmi 4 pro earlier this year and this piece of trash won't be getting nougat on the official rom. Does anyone recomend one of the pajeet roms for it?

How much bloatware does the Sony Xperia XZ Premium comes with? I was initially considering the LG G6 but I've seen lots of reviews and so on and I think i'll save $70 more and get the XZ Premium... any advice for a future Sony user? I'll be buying it in a month or so but still any usefull info is welcome.

Im also considering a XZ (standard version), and wanted to know if its comfortable.
My last phone was 5x that just died. It was very confortable with its rounded corners and i liked the fingerprint placement.

The XZ seems too "sharp" in the corners, and im not sure if i will like the fingerprint placement.

How is sony doing recently?

What is better than the G5+ for the same price?