Does g still use Optical drives, I ordered pic related!

Does \g\ still use Optical drives, I ordered pic related!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rip dvds all the time

Yes, because I still have my Diablo2 CDs

I just sold one of those for $10 CDN to some random guy who was looking to buy some other shitty PC parts I had laying around. I still have 3 PCs with DVD-RWs, plus a USB one.

no

I still have one. I'm gonna use it to burn some backup discs so that I can have proper off-site backups for the first time. Just as soon as I get off my ass and ficgure out parchive and dvdisaster

How else am I going to burn games for my cd based consoles?

I still rip CD's on the regular, so yes I have that exact one.

Yes still do lots of out dated things do you feel better now that you are not alone?

I have one but my case doesn't have a slot for it.

>optical media
>outdated
dont have a helper retarded enough for you
enjoy nothing

got an integrated bluetooth on this 3yo desktop replacement

I have never used it, not even once. Same with my 7yo from my previous job, not even once

Only put an optical drive in my new rig so I can rip Nexflix blurays.

The only thing I had that had a drive was an old laptop and that is giving me shit and crashes on boot now, and for some reason I have no admin rights in the recovery menu...so i don't have an optical drive anymore.

it's time to accept that CDs have gone the way of the floppy disk

I unplugged all my internal drives to save on cabling space / SATA slots, ever since I managed to by an old school external Plextor drive.

However I keep the internal drives in my computer simply because I don't have room in my shelf for them.

Yeah, I don't use it that often but I've burned several cds this year and sometimes it's nice to rip cds if you ever get them as a gift

Of course, how else would I install TempleOS?

Yea, I use a blu ray drive

Can you even install an os without burning it to a disc first? I've never been successful when trying to do it with a usb drive

>these are the people on Sup Forums right now

CIA niggers broke mine.

rufus, a program, makes it very simple. I did it for the first time recently.

I need to store my trap folders somewhere.

I just used one yesterday to rip ISOs of my Windows 98 and XP discs and install a couple virtual machines.

Yes. In fact, I don't know how you could fuck up a USB drive. My only guess is that you have your boot options out of order.

oh, a windowsfag, how cute

for men there is dd

How else would I create my mixed tapes to load this baby up?

>only I of superior intellect can read man and wiki pages on how to use a command in linux

open sores have reached a level of being insufferable i didn't think possible

I only use Apple branded Super Drives. Don't be a poorfag, Apple makes the best CD drives, they're better at reading CDs that LG or Samsung shit.

blurays are very good backup medium so I have a bluray burner

Only way to securely transfer or save data. Ever hard drive type and flash drive type is compromised.

Super important family photos? Put them on CDS or DVDS.

I have a blueray drive but never use it. Is there a way to connect it via USB or something?

That shit degrades too, you know.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Maybe like once a year to rid a CD or two.

I just want a modern version of this. A few hundred gigabytes or even a terabyte will do.

I bought a blu-ray drive with my i7-920 PC I built almost 10 years ago. I have used it less than 5 times, and of those I don't think I ever *needed* it as whatever file was available online.

just upload them to Google Photos. Sure it's a botnet which will use little Sara's face to aid its machine learning, but then you'll actually have them stored forever without risk of data loss from disasters, theft, or data degradation. Plus you can actually show off your family photos from anywhere in the world at any time in a searchable index, which just isnt possible with a book of DVDs in your attic.

hmmmm

I still keep a Plextor CD burner for audio CD ripping. I also own several BluRay discs so I have a burner with DVDFab Passkey.

all the time. CD's and DVD's are burned all the time in this household.

you would have been better off getting an external usb drive

I was going to install windows 7 ultimate visa usb3 on my ryzen system.

when trying to figure out how to make it work, the process was several hundred steps with each one seemingly very easy to fuck up.

Or I burn a dvd and wait 10-20 minutes.

guess which one was the method I went with because I only need to disc boot once every other year or so.

So here is a story.
I use to buy cd's in 500 disc bulks, and dvds in 500 bulks too, I cant remember the time frame good, but I want to say this was 10-15 years ago, possibly more, I burnt the first cd I ever burnt.
recently I copied all the files off it and they all copied correctly,
the first dvd I burnt is the same.
In fact, the only time I had issues was when the drives got so old to the point that they no longer read discs correctly, at first I thought it was the cds dying but turns out the drive was fucked.

I have yet to encounter a dvd dying form anything but a failed burn (only happened 3 times, all were severe cpu hang related) and one from light refracting just right to melt the disc.
Is disc rot common? as I have yet to encounter one case of it.

I miss my 4x mitsumi drive.
It had a nice yellow led instead of green crap and sounded quite nice.

yea, discs are infinitely cheaper then those things, and I have had literally every one of mine die on me, yet discs never have.

250$ for 400gb, or 20$ for 100 discs of dvd, or 20$ for 500gb of bluray space for dual layer or 1.1tb for single

I also like spreading archives out over many things just so in case one fucks up it doesn't take them all out, a 8-10tb hdd would be more convenient to back up to and from, but that also costs more and if the backup is fucked at the same time the live storage is fucked, you are just completely hosed.

same

i mean dd isn't exactly hard
dd bs=4M status=progress if=yourthing.iso of=/dev/sdX

They're pretty useful for read-only archives. No reason not to have one.

I had one of those, got it back in '98 or '99. 20 minutes to burn a CD at 4x. I think it finally died on me in 2015... Either that or I might actually have it in my retrogaming machine.

Yes, backing my important shit up to BD-Rs, playing the out of region BDs that my home theatre won't take because DRM cancer. And dealing with the whole lot of archival discs from the last 20 years, you know when your first backup media was a 1.44 MB floppy then you'll have a bit of that shit lying around.

i havent had one in my PC since 2012 when i used it to install my OS

literally this: the post

My internal drive is dying from dust and I'm just going to blank it up and use a ching-chong USB drive, keep it safe from dust in the drawer until I need to burn some discs for the car stereo.

I have a hd dvd blu ray combo drive I bought during the format war. I rarely use it. I checked the other day to see if it works and the door is sticking.

You are actually making me unironically sad right now. Also nice reddit spacing.
Installing windows 7 on ryzen is pain in ass because windows 7 doesn't have usb 3.0 drivers by default, your several hundred step process is just getting driver onto your pendrive, that's it. Actually some mobo manufacturers have utilities that turn your pendrive with windows 7 install into one that will work with ryzen with one click, but that aside. And you can bypass this entire problem by using usb 2.0 (assuming your mobo has those) or ps/2.
Any other OS you just use some utility like rufus and make usb bootable with 1 click.
Why even bother with windows 7 on ryzen? Are you that worried about microsoft knowing how much time you spend on gayming? They know anyway.

>use
Yes, occasionally.
>have installed in my system
No, I have a USB drive for the occasional use.

I heard best practice is to write at slow speeds, even with modern drives and PC's. Is it still true?

$dvdbackup -M -p
Is there similar software for blu-rays? For Linux that is.

Why not they cost around 20 bucks

Bought my last optical drive about the time DVDs became popular.

I now have a external USB dvd-rw drive, my build from six years ago had one but new builds will not. I also transferred all of my old games to my nas as disc images and backed all of my music as flacs

I use them to make fresh disc backups of family photos/videos occasionally.

Yup. For some reason the lab which I've worked at has strict "no thumbdrive policy" (literally). They even had custom made pc cases with no usb port on the front and the back is locked physically.

The only way we can get any data is by using blank CDs and even then we can only get them from the technician who pretty much ripped us off big time (2 bucks for one no-name blank CD-R)

$15 for an external one and it only needs one USB port!

I got memed into buying an internal BluRay driver.

I need one for burning PSX/PS2 games since my laptop one is awful, any recs?

Nice choice, iirc I have that one too.

I still use it for playing DVDs, ripping CDś using EAC and for games.

Can you use one of those SATA to USB hard drive adapters with an optical drive instead?

The bigger optical drives use +12V for the motors. But there are laptop-style drives around that run on +5V, so you might be lucky.
OTOH, just buy a USB optical drive for $20.

>USB optical drive for $20.
Such as?

Yes, I use an external one to rip Audio CDs and BluRays occasionally.

>zxe doesn't use lightscribe
reminder that lightscribe is awesome

>I don't know how you could fuck up a USB drive.
I do. And that, kids, is why we never pull USB drives out of their slots while they're formatting