/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/6-Cell-Battery-For-Lenovo-0A36303-70-ThinkPad-L430-T430-W530-T530-L530-W530/391489696961?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=47507&meid=d13f0b9010b742d7a7ca46738502794e&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=263160218303&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw ThinkPilled

Is this safe to use with a T530 or will lelnovo cuck me and refuse to charge it?
>ebay.com/itm/6-Cell-Battery-For-Lenovo-0A36303-70-ThinkPad-L430-T430-W530-T530-L530-W530/391489696961?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=47507&meid=d13f0b9010b742d7a7ca46738502794e&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=263160218303&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

>tfw ThinkPilled

/tpg/ cannot visually identify a Vaio from the video and screenshot I posted?

is this a vaio thread or a thinkpad thread you fucking retard?

Couldn't find any info on T530 cucking the batteries, you should be good. Return it otherwise if it fucks up.

It's the Sony VAIO S-Series 15.5 Inch laptop, you fucking retard.

Kek.

>tfw ThinkPilled

Gonna take my x200T to a girls house tonight. She has a Macbook. You jelly?

>girls house tonight
What is the relationship?
Tell me know!

>girls
no not at all actually

mfw i bought a thinkpad but i never leave my house so i rather use my desktop instead

its a nice paperweight tho

I actually ditched my better desktop because I liked my thinkpad so much.

thats dumb

no thinkpad can beat a desktop with a good screen and keyboard

ips thinkpad + docking station with your multiple monitors and peripherals

Hi, has anyone ever used an ultra bay battery, and where was it from?

Is it better to buy a new chink one or a genuine one(which is probably old, right?)

Also, what battery life do you get on your T60's, and with what battery?

I have an X220 with an IPS display, could I put it in my X230 with ease?

I said I liked my thinkpad
I didn't say that it was better you autistic child

meme

yeah i get it

Sup Forums tricked your mind into believing thinkpads are some kind of lifestyle cult

but in reality they are just common enterprise laptops

>in a thinkpad thread
>complaining that people like thinkpads

Replaced the thermal paste on my t420, but putting it together I have this long screw left over. Should fit outside somewhere but no spots fit it.

So what was that meme that anons were posting last year with the laughing pepes and their T420's making fun of T430's or T440s, I can't remember

Anyone tried that gloss black vinyl wrap on a Thinkpad?

Yeah, OP here, I'd also like to know if someone can post it here.

I saw it maybe a week ago in one of the threads, but I can't find it anymore.

>Should fit outside somewhere but no spots fit it.
Try fitting it in your ass, you might be surprised.

>tfw your x220 is the best laptop you've ever owned
Man it feels good to be ThinkPilled. I'm running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, first dive into Linux. Any recommendations to hardening my system, or should I ask /fglt/?

>x220
>best laptop you've ever owned
that's actually really sad

Has he not used a T420?

I've never been one for laptops, honestly. I never had need for them. Seeing as how I've owned, 2 laptops ever, and my first laptop was a MSI Wind U100, I'd say this is an upgrade. Desktop is still relatively relevant for it's age, though.

anyone know where I can find a cheap 4gig stick that'll work with a t530?
Why the fuck is ram so expensive?

I got a T540P for $155, and a T450s for $260

I have a HP 2760P and a T420 with dGPU I need to get rid of

Suggestions?

that looks like the keyboard screw

Is the w520 what I should mainly look for? Would it be the best one for light gaymen?

Help. My W510's fan is malfunctioning.
Everything is fine for some time after booting, but after a while under load lm_sensors reports an RPM of 65565 and the fan stops spinning.
Resetting bios to default settings doesn't help.

I did this on my T420 this weekend. took me about 7 hours total the temps are good now but I lost two of the screws and the screen latch mechanism is now fucked up for some reason. can't win em all i guess

You guys are such amateurs, hopefully you've learned.

seven hours?
It took me half an hour and I had never opened up the thing before. What did you get tripped up on? I know that I didn't understand how the heatsink assembly worked so it slowed me down a little.

Who here getting the T25?

your life is a meme

>$100 T420 on cl
>head out to go get it
>bring a $100 bill in my pocket
>pic happens
What do?

panic

Is the T420s/T430s 1080p IPS mod also compatible with the T420/T430?

wake up
my life isn't that interesting

Found it, turned out I switched some screws on the back to the wrong slots.

say you don't have $100 but you'll do anything she says for her to not pull the buzzer

no, I wish it was

Pls halp
Also, how replace shitty clickpad with better one?

Break the buzzer with my thinkpad then ask where's the T420 because i want to buy it

better be modded with a quad core cpu in it or i'm taking hostages while REEEing autistically

But the *40s have the shit clickpads not the *50s

Yeah, I have a 540P coming in the mail next week.
The 450s was to replace GFs old 2760p that she's had since she started college
A graduation gift

If it's a T440p replacing the clickpad with the T450 touchpad is as easy as removing the palmrest and 4 screws for the touchpad. The T540p probably has a similar procedure since it's bigger.

For the T440 and T440s you have to pretty much disasemble the entire laptop because >muh homosexual slim laptop

Fuck it, going to buy one of the T420/T430 kits. I'll post update if I get fucked over by Chinese merchants.

Depends on the price point, but I'm definitely interested. Show me another laptop that has a traditional keyboard and I'll consider the options.

if it works please post where to buy it when it arrives.
I want out of this tn panel nightmare.

>I'll post update if I get fucked over by Chinese merchants
Why would you get fucked when plenty of people have bought it and it werks?

it won't work with the non-s variants though, or probably be flickering hell

I'm a fucking idiot
Delivery for user

If you go with thirty, it's gonna hurty!

Will an ultrabay battery from 2011 work fine? or would a chink battery be better?

wait so I can't use a chink battery on a T530?

Any anons using a T420 with the battery slice? How is it when it's on your lap?

that's 6 years of not being used so probably the chink one would be better

you can after flashing the EC, just a couple of commands on linux and that's it

>Nope
If you go with thirty, it's gonna hurty!

I know the T61 has a problem with the discreet graphics dying, is it the same with the T400?
Should I stick with integrated graphics? Will the radeon card burst into flames?

>he fell for the tx30 meme

could I make some money selling libreboot laptops? is there actually a market for them?

>you can after flashing the EC, just a couple of commands on linux and that's it
Any links to a guide user?
It doesn't even mention this on the thinkwiki what the fuck

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

>T25
really fucking wish that mousepad would have three buttons also, having no buttons is a lenovo thing, the x220 has the same cancer. I know you are going to say use track point only, and i do, but i fucking hate how it is a mac trackpad with one button. Actual IBM thinkpads for the short time they did thinkpads with trackpads, at least put 2 buttons below the trackpad.

No. Anyone who cares about their privacy and how to use linux would probably already know how to do it themselves. Laptops sell to normies. If you aren't selling to normies you're doing it wrong.

also there is already someone selling libreboot laptops in europe for like 600 euro. I'm not sure if he's making any money though

get a t70
done

I-I want a T400 though...
Oh, that's fucking trivial
Thanks user
>tfw I'll have my better CPU/Graphics AND chink batteries

maybe I could market them to normies in a unique way. have a pamplet on gnu philosophy and NSA prism methods.

Yeah depending on how you advertise it you might get a few people to buy them. Go for it. The worst thing that could happen is you have a lot of thinkpads.

>Break the buzzer with my thinkpad

this makes me wonder which ThinkPad model would be best used as a weapon

i'm pretty confident that i could use my T500 to bludgeon a home intruder

I just recently got my W520 and I'm enjoying it just fine, but when I put it to sleep there's a chance it simply never wakes up despite having running fans, functioning power and mute lights. The HDD light seems to come on for a bit, then the entire thing just flat out stalls. USB devices set to "wake" the computer don't seem to do anything, and there's nothing in the BIOS to circumvent this, as far as I know. The only way I found to fix it is to hard power off and on the machine, on Windows 7. Anything else I can do?

Comfy

>>>/reddit/

Will any ThinkPad ever come close to being as good as this?

>

the w700ds has a screen that folds out but it isn't like that

How do I polish the lid of a thinkpad? or paint? I want it to look nice again desu

yeah no its rubber so it will be fucked if you polish it. I suggest leaving it. Or buy broken display and take the back frame off and replace.

i may do the t25 but only if i can replace the fucking mousepad with one that has buttons.

>polishing soft touch rubber

>tfw ThinkPilled

Yeah i dont get why so many people here like the no buttons track pad. I know use the nipple but the whole no buttons on trackpad besdies the underside single button is a thing lenovo does as a manor of copying apple. IBM never did that, they either did only pointing stick with three buttons, or pointing stick with three buttons with a trackpad with 2 buttons. Stop falling for the meeem that the no button trackpad is good. Stop getting 440p's and all those fucking ones that are full laptop size yet still do not have trackpad buttons.

Best you can do is scrub it with a sponge. I clean mine with dish soap and/or rubbing alcohol

cleaning wise use windex and paper towels.

anybody here with an x230 that can give me some honest feedback on how you like it? im less tech savvy than a lot of you guys, but i enjoy Sup Forums and this general, even if i cant understand a lot of the shit you talk about. so would a normal retard like me who uses windows. be able to appreciate the x230? ill mostly be using it for casual shitposting, improving my writing skills, and maybe testing out some linux stuff (that will be a side thing though, its not important to my purchase). ive also told my little bro he can use it to host modded minecraft servers for his friends when im not home, would it be able to do that? i dont care about gaming other than that. one more thing, how is the battery life? id like to be able to keep it unplugged for more than 2-3 hours at a time. thanks in advance

see

I'm the user that repasted the t420 (and x61t)

I opened the X200t and was scared to actually get to the cpu itself, it is much more difficult, even more so than the x61t. I have a couple stripped screws and I saw the second stripped screw and didn't want to drill into the screw and break it.

also couldn't find documentation for a complete disassembly of the tablet version either. If anybody has done it are there any tricks or tips to doing it? I couldn't get the board to wiggle free to get to the other side, I was that close.

Should I go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint on my X230? It will be my first time using Linux.

what? i dont really get it. so you cant put in 3rd party wireless or battery because of a bios lock? if so, thats not really a problem for me, i dont mind paying extra for lenovo brand shit as long as its avaliable
>inb4 >>>reddit
no, fuck reddit

>so many people here like the no buttons track pad
Because i don't give a shit about the touchpad, I'd gladly buy a palmrest without a touchpad for my T440p if i could.

Anyone has experience with the P51/P71? Thinking about getting one.

>so you cant put in 3rd party wireless or battery because of a bios lock?
Yes pretty much but you can bypass that lock easily by doing this if you want to.

As always retarded frogposters post retarded shit.

Alright, thanks man
I would have figured it was more complicated than that.

The T450s is actually rather nice. It may be blasphemy, but the new keyboard isn't as bad as I had thought.

okay, thanks. i plan on installing the older keyboard, so would it be easy to fuck that up because of the bios lock?

It probably wouldn't be good for hosting a minecraft server but it will be good for everything else.

i have p51 full spec, cost about 4500USD. Its alright and what i am using for mobile work currently.

>but the new keyboard isn't as bad as I had thought
Yeah i now own a T440p coming from a T420 and while i admit that the new key layout is a big downgrade compared to the classic keyboard, the chiclet keyboard is pretty good to type on.

No idea, i haven't done that keyboard swap but try looking at this thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads