Not expensive laptop

Are chromebooks any good or a gimmick?

I need a laptop for school so I can do work elsewhere. Typing, research and using the blackboard is pretty much what I do

Been looking at the acer r11 the past few days. Any insight/advice on these machines?

If you just need a web browser it's fine. I wouldn't call it great, but it's fine.

If all you're gonna do is fuck around in the web browser they're acceptable. I'd still just buy a thinkpad, though. They won't break in half if you drop it and if it does break somehow replacement parts are cheap and plentiful.

It's a meme.

I'm selling it and getting a used ThinkPad instead.

You can try installing GalliumOS on it, which imo is the best option and the only real reason you'd get a Chromebook.

I have a chromebook. It's a samsung and a meme.

basically this

They're good enough at what they do to be usable. I'd personally get one of the cheap ones though, getting a $1000+ chromebook doesnt make sense to me

Chromebooks definitely aren't memes. Acer c720 from 3 years ago still out classes anything under 300 by far. You just need to pick the right specs. Intel processor, replaceable SSD, 4 GB RAM, and decent sized battery.

Forgot to mention, chrome OS is a meme. You can install any Linux distro though.

What are you doing, chromebooks are for normies

All I do is use chrome and google drive mostly. On the campus desktops that run windows, it's nice when I can just open docx or PowerPoint easily without having to save it and re upload into to google drive like I do at home with an older desktop that doesn't have word and all that

I just feel tied to either campus or home and can't do work elsewhere like the public library or whatnot

The only thing I do that might be "intensive" is watch utube or look at the pics from the dslr memory card

Is Linux easy to use?

I think it's easier than windows. Depends if you find operating systems doing shit you don't ask it to do easy

I know several people, normie's and alike who have them. A few put linux on theirs. I was honestly shocked at how many non-tech related folk who have them in uni now.

You can actually get thinkpads pretty cheap and their fairly powerful too.
I would suggest to you the x230
look it up and compare it to what you have in mind already.

If all you're doing is typing on it then you won't have to hassle with other programs and it will be fine.
there is a learning curve with linux but it doesn't last long. You have to learn a little bit in terminal but its really fine.

Posting on OP pic related, with GalliumOS. It depends on what you're doing, I use it for writing while traveling when I don't want my thinkpad, and around the house if I'm not staying in one room.
It's great if you're just browsing and doing light work, definitely get a cheap one with 4GB of ram and install Gallium.

I use a C720 that I got at a garage sale for like $80 because I'm a dirtpoorfag. The 2gb of RAM really hurts and the tiny hard drive is obnoxious. I started with GalliumOS and switched to Arch a few months ago. It's a bitch to set up things on Arch but it was worthwhile. Anyways if you're a poorfag I would recommend a thinkpad because they're cheaper and better in every way

If that's all you need a chromebook should be dank. I recommend the Acer 14. You can get a good 4gb RAM refurbished for around 180.

Never get a chromebook under 4gb of RAM.

Wow that Acer 14 seems really good for the price, perfect for just browsing

Depending on the work, chromebook can be okay.

If you're just shitposting then I'd rather have a 3:2 chromebook pixel than the aids resolution of a thinkpad.

You get way more bang for your buck by buying used business computers like an old thinkpad. If you have too much money then at least you can say that you have a chromebook. But if you want a cheap computer then there are better choices around.

not OP but im looking for a semi decent gaming laptop to play the remastered age of empires stuff on when it comes out....my macbook is pushing 8 years old now and is partially cracked in one area. anyone got any ideas? iv been looking at the Dell Inspiron i555...but honestly dont know much

I'd say go ahead, if you want a full Desktop on it you can use Crouton. It's great for testing Distros and DE's and you can boot multiple Chroots.

Cum crusted ThinkPad are under $300 and still outperform any Chromeme