Admit it. You'd use it if you could install it

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
mirror.dkm.cz/gentoo/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-20170907.tar.bz2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Installation isn't the worst part, I switched away from it because somehow I managed to break my package manager and could never upgrade because of weird dependency conflicts.

Also the compile times on a shitty old thinkpad were super long.

Maybe. I do think it would be nice to set the USE flags to not use any poettering stuff (pulseaudio or systemd)

>not BSD

I prefer Source Mage but Gentoo is cool too I guess.

Nigga webkit-gtk and clang takes a couple of hours to install

It's s pretty cool to use PowerWords to tell the system what to do, but a unified GUI beats it any day when it working on anything beyond the daily routine. Ideally you'd have both, or run PowerWords to display dictionaries containing context sensitive PowerWords.

I admittedly don't have the time to fool around with this as much as I would like, but it'd be comfy to use. I just don't have the disk space for it. Everything on my daily driver Void box amounts to around 2.5 gigs, which is smaller than any base Gentoo install I've ever seen, and there's no good guide on how to go about thinning that.

If I could get everything I have now on Void in Gentoo, without some bullshit 4+ gig base install, I'd switch.

doubtful, it doesn't give me anything I need that I don't have with my current OS

Yeah hold on bro let me go compile some bullshit for 18 hours and spend 3 years setting it up so i can save .000001 seconds every couple of days over using slackware.

good thing I can install it thanks to cloverOS

I do use it. Installation is easy if you actually have GNU/Linux experience. Also the handbook is super thorough.

hows it going luke

Yeah, no. I like my binarys thank you very much.

I've been using it since 1.4-rc4. You probably weren't even born at that time.

>compile time meme
If you dont have capable distcc helpers available to you, what are you even doing here?

installed several times. Taught me things. Then I realized maintaining it for doing anything useful was a huge time sink, then I became a red hat fag.

>no AUR
dropped

Same here.

overlays

still not as thorough as the AUR.
For example, if I wanted to install firefox nightly in gentoo what would be the simplest way to do so?

probably something like this.
layman -a riru
emerge '=www-client/firefox-9999'

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD

Why don't neckbeards just make a OS that people outside their coven of esoteric autism are willing and able to install?

brainlets

Calculate linux.

why did you post this image again

delete this

Fuck distcc, just build binary packages on some other machine, VM or not and export /usr/portage via NFS.

>Also the handbook is super thorough.
The handbook is amazing. I've probably read the first 3/4s of it like five times.

Yeah, I've done the same too. I think these conflicts are supposed to be trivial fixes if you grok emerge, but that takes some time.

He wants to fuck kiwi manlets.
If it's amazing, why did you have to reread it? The only interesting part is the setup of the chroot. Everything else is (or should be) a walk in the park or optimizations.

Using it right now, been doing that for two years. It's nice and stuff, you can really set up every seamingly unimportant thing to your likening.
But then fixing it when the shit hits the fan is way too painful. Like, unless you are a contributor and know *exactly* how everything linux-related works inside - or want to become one - don't bother.

As for now there aren't a lot of things that I still don't know about linux, but I'd like to not wreck shit on my daily system. Maybe I'll install it on some other machine with a DistCC set on my desktop - I don't know. I think that it might be worth it switching full-time to the 'amd64' (stable) channel, with some selected packages from '~amd64' (testing), and, if that is still not stable and "justwerks" enough, I guess I'm switching over to devuan with nix. Too much edge cases

>If it's amazing, why did you have to reread it?
I've made mistakes following the instructions, needed a refresher on certain topics, or my hardware wasn't playing nicely. I've also installed Gentoo like 5 times, so I've had to at least go back and skim the manual.

C'mon. Sup Forums memed Trump into POTUS, and you can't meme Linux into the first desktop OS in the world?

We don't have MAGA sluts and linux needs more than just a vote and a core dump.

Micropenis and Applel are making it easier every month. Think about it.

Admit it. You'd use it if you could afford it.

I would use it if I knew how to use it.

you're retarded.
there's a reason it's not called "Gentoo GNU/Linux"

Everyone can install it. All you need is to spend hours reading manuals.

Actually i use windows 7 (i have reasons to dont go to linux yet).

But when i will conver myself to linux(when i get bored with my collection of windows only games and i will need windows only programs no more) i gonna mint. Setting up gento and making it work at beggining can be fun but later it will become frustrating.

Anyone can follow a tutorial you know. I did install it just for the sake of it, but never as my main os but it was fun to play with honestly. Maybe I'll move to it once I'm more familiar with it or something but as of right no, fedora 26 gets the job done and never breaks on me like Ubuntu used to.

Are you allowed to save files, folders and add shortcuts onto the desktop in those things? Every single picture I see of a mac has a completely empty desktop, seems like a waste of space.

not them but can you explain? are you allowed to use more than just the linux kernel with it?

Here's your (You).

Is this the new "Kevin" meme?

>Compiler has new version
>Well shit, time to start over
>Realize compiler is still not the latest version because gentoo lags behind so much
>dropped

Well, that and the rsync shit. I think funtoo uses git and I'm not sure about SMGL, but I can't imagine a solution to the compiler autism thing.

gentoo uses git as well with its main repo

also, what the fuck did you have to compile that needed the latest compiler version?

Sounds like someone didn't use the testing flag for latest packages instead of default stable. Nice try, maybe next time.

But I did install it.

It's not even hard, just time-consuming to compile if you have shitty hardware like I do.

if my time was worthless i guess

the rust belt memed trump.
pol are full of underage dicklets that will be able to vote only in 2020
is it even safe to use it? it is hard to trust stuff made by Sup Forums users

This. I found using Gentoo to be harder than installing Gentoo. Keep the emerge manual and wiki on standby so you can actually get a functioning DE up and running and google your problems from inside the OS instead of another computer.

>Anyone can follow a tutorial you know.
You should meet with more people.

>have shitty hardware like I do.
You know nothing about patience. I installed gentoo/xfce on a netbook. The whole shit cost me at least 80 hours and this exclude the ff and an office suit.

That's not 1337 h4x0r.

With or without distcc?

Yeah, i'm a pleb.

its just gentoo with an install script and a bin host. you can even build the iso yourself with their custom script.

If you can build a lego set, you can install any OS.

You know my gentoo i3 install takes up 50gig so I don't know what you did to use only 2gig for void.

if you get parallel compile using all 8 threads, merging plasma5 is like ... breeze have you checked that you aren't using single core?

ah. i've just noticed that you only got 8gig mem

never mind ...

I have installed it. But I didn't keep it very long because I have sex on a regular basis.

>what is --getbinpkg

Yeah you can but
>having icons on the desktop

>newest compiler in repos is 7.2 (**)
>6.4 (testing) and 5.4 (stable) are still officially supported
literally what?

Gentoo loves to keep source files around which eat up a lot of drive space. Even cleaning old packages still leaves a bunch of junk. Old kernels etc all need removed. It's my only real complaint with the distro but not that bad to take care of once you've identified the issue.

I've done nothing. Literally just built dwm, st, and Firefox in the live CD to have my custom settings (and turn off meme gtk3 in Firefox, fuck that noise) and installed everything I needed. 333 packages later and I'm at a comfy 2.8G.

I would if it would let me MOUNT MY FUCKING HARD DRIVE

boot livecd, enjoy wifi and copypasting
parted -a optimal /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
unit mib
mkpart primary 1 3
name 1 grub
set 1 bios_grub on
mkpart primary 3 131
name 2 boot
mkpart primary 131 1155
name 3 swap
mkpart primary 1155 -1
name 4 rootfs
set 2 boot on
quit
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda2
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4
mkswap /dev/sda3
swapon /dev/sda3
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo
ntpd -q -g
cd /mnt/gentoo
wget mirror.dkm.cz/gentoo/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-20170907.tar.bz2
tar xvjpf stage3* --xattrs --numeric-owner
rm stage3*
nano etc/portage/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

chroot, portage and profile
mirrorselect -i -o >> etc/portage/make.conf
mkdir etc/portage/repos.conf
cp usr/share/portage/config/repos.conf etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf etc/
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
mkdir /boot
mount /dev/sda2 /boot
emerge-webrsync
eselect profile set
emerge -udN @world

timezone, locales
echo "Europe/Brussels" > /etc/timezone
emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data
nano -w /etc/locale.gen
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
locale-gen
env-update && source /etc/profile

fstab
nano -w /etc/fstab
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1

genkernel
emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
emerge sys-kernel/genkernel
genkernel all
emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware

misc.
passwd
emerge net-misc/dhcpcd
nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
hostname="faggot"

grub
emerge -av sys-boot/grub:2
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

add main user, install shits for first boot (xorg, de/wm, wicd)
exit chroot, unmount, reboot
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash larry
passwd larry
exit
cd
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
umount -R /mnt/gentoo

Somebody forgot to compile SCSI device support into their kernel ^^
missing meme cflags. See

>genkernel
install ubuntu and never touch gentoo again.

>it works after 4 lines
vs
>it hardly werks after 10 wiki pages

>not just using Sabayon

I like your machine. Pls post moar

Gentoo meme is like All Your Base meme, but for some reason people keep tossing it around.

You'll impress me when you RollYourOwn.

NO NORMIES AND GIRLS ALLOWED

>Is this the new "Kevin" meme?
Jesus how much of a newfag are you? Install Gentoo has been a meme on Sup Forums since before you were born.

No. Actually I could afford that shit, but why should I buy shit ? Really makes me think.

Just installed Kali. I'm liking it. Gentoo why ? Be precise

wow dude you're using kali :O
are you some kind of hacker who can't install the tools he wants to use on debian or ubuntu?

I enjoy testing distros. There is good stuff in most distros actually. Last week I tried Void, and Bunsenlabs.
Actually I like how Kali is put together.