Any other web developers out there, how do stop from killing yourself on a daily basis...

Any other web developers out there, how do stop from killing yourself on a daily basis? I've been doing this for about 5 years now and not a day goes by that I don't seriously consider suicide. This job has destroyed my fucking soul and I don't know how anybody does it. I'm 29 and I don't know if I can even make it to 30 before literally blowing my brains out.

I do lots of drugs

Just get a different job lmfao it's not hard.

get a new job

I'm an autist with no other skills. My only other option is homelessness and I would definitely make sure I killed myself before it came to that.

So nobody else feels this way? Or are there just no web developers on Sup Forums

A job is a job, mate. What is the source of your anguish? Unrealistic deadlines? Bosses who do not understand what can and cannot be done? Feature creep? Maintaining other people's code, where those other people are borderline retarded?

This. Elaborate OP.

>This job has destroyed my fucking soul and I don't know how anybody does it
Curious, how so?

The simple fact that having to write rushed, shitty code on ridiculous deadlines, day in and day out for 5 straight fucking years has destroyed my brain. It doesn't matter where I've worked, as all companies are the same and operate in this exact same dysfunctional way.

you have it easy

try fixing lawnmowers in a retirement community

are software dev jobs like this too?

tech jobs have this effect. switch jobs.

yup.

How have you not saved up enough to retire when you're already 29?

>switch jobs
There's literally nothing else I'm capable of doing.

If you were Malaysian, I would ask you to come by for an interview. Been looking for a web dev for 2 years now, and we work without deadlines.

Definitely.

>>>This job has destroyed my fucking soul

Welcome to...being an adult?

Every web dev job will make you feel this way. Even if you're one of the lucky ones and one of your side projects takes off, you'll eventually hate it once you start getting paid for it.

How would I have saved up anything at all? What fucking country do you live in? In the US, even $100k is barely enough to live on paycheck to paycheck in any major city where the jobs are. I have enough savings to maybe live a month on before having to go homeless.

b-but software programming is my passion, am I going through college only to get a job where I'll hate what I love doing?

So you're saying I should just get it over with an end my suffering now? What is the point of living if it's just going to be like this for the next 40+ years?

What kind of spoiled millennial are you? I live in Redmond and only spent $20k last year on a six figure income.

depends on if your passion will burn out over time due to age or working on boring tedious projects day in day out

Let us suppose your passion was cooking. Maybe you work at a nice restaurant where the owner treats the employees well. Maybe you get unlucky and the owner is tyrant anus. Maybe you get very unlucky and that restaurant with the anus owner is the only one where you can get a job for the next few years.

OP is probably suffering from the same. You cannot really change your working conditions at work, and it is not easy to change jobs.

A quick google search shows that you're lying.

>average
Yeah sorry I forgot all these spoiled millennials need a hip luxury apartment in the middle of downtown.

>I live in Redmond
Work for Microsoft by any chance?

surely there are a lot of cs jobs though, right? why would it be so hard to switch?

Totally depends on where you work.

If your at a small company and have to actually interact with customer it fucking sucks.

If you are in some big corporate place, you just get assigned some tasks by your project manager to get done by the end of the week.

I work for a big corporation but got thrown into a startup that they own majority share in because I am competent, special kind of fucking hell. I am a C/C++ dev by nature and this startup uses nodejs and a tiny amount of modules written in C. Anyway, javascript is fucking easy and I get done with my tasks by Tuesday or Wednesday and watch the rest of my stupid coworkers spamming the refresh button on jsonlint because they can barely write a hello world HTML webpage let alone code anything since they are all boot-campers. In a way I really want to just quit this place, but the money is good and it's that "startup" feel (t-shirt, jeans, long breaks, etc.) but with a good corporate salary.

OP is USAin. I heard things are getting a bit tough for the IT crowd in the last few years.

Paying below the average rent in any city usually means you're going to be living in a nigger neighborhood. Hope you enjoy risking your life every day when you walk out of your apartment.

The closest "cheap" area is Renton and even an apartment there would cost $1500 easy as there is a severe housing shortage in King County as a whole.

I'm suggesting you quit being a pussy and realize that you shouldn't allow your happiness and your job to become inseparable.

If you're not happy at your job, do something that makes you happy outside of it.

>how do stop from killing yourself on a daily basis?

Pretty sure I'd succeed the first time if I tried.

This. Failed suicides are for women, and men who've become seriously brain damaged in an accident

My job takes up the vast majority of the time I'm awake, and when I leave it I'm too exhausted and mentally drained to even think about anything else. How am I supposed to even find the time to find any kind of happiness in life?

>happiness in life
it's not for us plebs. i'm not even sure the rich are truly happy either

>My job takes up the vast majority of the time I'm awake

Have you tried not working that hard? A few years ago I just started leaving my laptop at work at the end of the day and removed slack/work email from my phone. Nothing happened.

heh

goddamn you mean they're not going to give me the time I need to write beautiful code? mother fucker I need time to properly refactor that shit and make it look good and SOLID.

Make your own company with those programming skills... Eventually when you are able to live off your side business then quit your job and run your side business. Eventually you might hire someone to do the programming and you can do something else.

programming is hard for non autists

I don't take my work home with me and I try to never stay at work for more than the minimum required hours. I'm talking about the fact that 8 hours of a job you hate every single day for years on end drives you absolutely fucking insane.

How much are you working? I work like 30 hrs a week and it's not bad. Other jobs are worse. Invest in crypto.

I pay just under $1100 a month for an apartment directly in downtown Seattle. Water and trash included. Has washer and dryer in unit as well for convenience.

>Make your own company
This meme again. Even if you somehow stumbled on a new genius idea of something that hasn't been done yet with software (which you won't, because everything has already been done), the chances of actually succeeding with that idea are about 0.01%. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice.

1) Get a new job
2) Kill yourself
3) ???

Choose one. Work on something you enjoy working on.

then quit and go homeless, there's no shame in it, this is america, in other countries you would get killed if you told your boss to fuck off

>$1100
>downtown Seattle
for that price you probably live near 3rd and pine mcdonalds

>there's no shame in it
Sure maybe if you're a nigger. I would make sure I was dead before I became a burden on the state or anyone else.

>everything has already been done

I keep saying it, people still haven't done Transtation - Tinder for trannies and their admirers. Get on it, you'll get a lot of good press from progressive news outlets and you'll be able to ride that good will and sell the company before anybody figures out that there really aren't enough trannies to support the business model.

What are you talking about? There are literally thousands of tinder clones on the app store. Also, trannies aren't looking for other trannies to date, their goal is to "pass" enough that nobody even knows they're a tranny.

Closer to Westlake and 7th.

you aren't a burden on the state, the state is a burden on you for forcing you to work some shit job you hate

how do the bezos balls taste?

Nonsense, most companies that are started can be run fine. And you don't need to do something that nobody has done before. Where does that meme come from? Companies that does something nobody has done yet with software (which happens every day) has way less chance of succeeding than someone who does something that tons of other companies do.

Google did not do something new, Apple did not do something new, Amazon did not do something new, Facebook did not do something new. Some companies like Uber DID do something new, but nearly all companies who do something new (like the first search engine and the first social network) fail.

idk i dont work for amazon

i.e. just play the lottery, it's the same thing but easier

>trannies and their admirers

And if there were an app for trannies and their admirers, then their founders are fucking shit businessmen for not shilling it everywhere and selling out.

As soon as any new idea succeeds on the market, thousands of chink and pajeet clones pop up instantly. How are you supposed to make any money competing in that kind of market? Your examples are all from the very early days of the internet when very few companies were doing anything and it was actually possible to get it on the massive explosion of growth that was about to happen to the internet. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

Where you at dawg I love JS memes and am quite adept with them

>Apple
>Facebook
>Uber
>early days of the internet

Well done.

No wonder you never made anything of yourself, you seem awfully negative.
>There are literally thousands of tinder clones on the app store.
There was literally thousands of myspace clones when facebook was started as well. Or literally thousands of search engines when google started.

No, the lottery does not rely on skill and while everyone can make a living with their own company, nobody can make a living by "playing the lottery"

>Your examples are all from the very early days of the internet when very few companies were doing anything
Nonsense, and there was thousands of pajeet clones of yahoo and altavista when google made their search engines as well.

Trannies don't want anybody to admire them for being trannies. They want to go on tinder and get swiped right on by thousands of men like other women.

>everyone can make a living with their own company
If everyone could do it, then why is 95% of the world wageslaves?

You can't compete against the giants who came before you, if it wasn't the case before it sure is nowadays. There's a new tech bubble going on and it will get worse for a while until the next "big" thing opens up a new frontier. Who knows what it might be, something involving machine learning, VR, quantum computing, whatever.

what do you mean by a web developer exacty?

yes but you still live next to the balls

Okay then, the "open minded" or whatever it is trannies want their lovers to be. Every time you see a tranny on Tinder the profile has some language to that effect. You know: something, something, I have a dick, don't swipe right if you're a normal person, I need a man who is a positive description for a closet homo with mental problems because even the gays like men who are men.

There won't be any "next big thing". The world is heading towards total societal collapse within the next decade or two.

but, not being an amazon employee, im not even allowed to touch them

you got me craving mcdick's btw. think ill walk down and grab a bag of their shitty food. Don't feel like walking up to broadway for some proper dicks - fuckers were out of shakes last time i headed over

Because they don't try and have no ambition.

>You can't compete against the giants who came before you
Yes you can you dumb fuck, look at Microsoft. You think Bill Gates was afraid of IBM? IBM was a much bigger tech giant than any tech giant that exist today. Or what about when Nintendo went up against the giant Atari. Or when Facebook went up against Myspace. I remember everyone going "myspace is the ultimate social network, all these other clones have no chance".

In 5 years maybe google is nearly bankrupt and some meme webpage has overtaken them as THE search engine. Stuff like that has happened hundreds of times the last 20 years.

Pissing your pants because "muh tech giants" is a cowardly excuse with no basis in reality. Grow some balls.

Bill Gates didn't try to compete against IBM. He used jewish tactics to partner with them and then screw them out of billions of dollars. Nintendo got their success for free, just by being at the right place at the right time after the video game industry crash. Mark Zuckerberg stole somebody else's product and passed it off as his own. The only way to become successful with your own business is by being lucky, or by being a jew.

webdevs must hang

someday they will let us peasants in

don't do it you're gonna get shot

ok then just use all those same tactics against them

>just use jewish tactics
No, I'm not a sociopath.

Have a backbone.
Learn how to give estimates. Then multiply that estimate by 2.
If your shitty boss gets shitty, cut functionality till you agree.
What is he going to do? Fire you?
You'll have another job in a week.

>What is he going to do? Fire you?
Yes, that's exactly what he's going to do. And then I'll have to spend the next month or two without a paycheck looking for another job where I end up working for people who are just as shitty on projects that are just as dysfunctional and I care just as little about. It's an endless loop of this over and over again that I'm going to be stuck in for at least the next 40 years of my life. What reason do I have to want to continue to put myself through that?

You serious nigger?
I worked 12 hours a day SIX days a week and I still devote time to going out and enjoying a film or shooting the shit with friends. You're suppose to make the most of what you have.

why the fuck not, it has only benefits and no downsides

go work in a fucking coal mine or start your own company if its all so horrible you spoiled child

Managers hate hearing "refactoring" because they think it's a waste of time since you're not fixing bugs or delivering new features. They expect you to write perfect code the first time around, because that's why they hire you and pay you $$$.

How can you even enjoy this kind of life? I have a similar condition and I quit after 5 years. What's the meaning of life if lots of work to be done when you wake up, and go home only feel asleep/exhausted, all the purpose is making money?

what DO you care about? I love solving problems and seing people using software I write, so I care about every project, I feel each and every one of those projects is part of me.

maybe you're not in the right position?

Because I'm still young enough to live on 5 hours of sleep a night. I'm only truly giving up on Friday night life whereas Saturday and Sundays I can do whatever I want like a normal person.

Considering moving to Seattle, where are the nice places to live?

As a baseline, I'm 24 and I've been at my job for 3.5 years. I still have a lot of time to really think about what I want to do in life. At least I hope so.

> 5 hours of sleep a night
No, don't do that, it's not healthy

that's what happened for me, 2 days in first job and i fucking hate programming
just don't go to job, do freelancing if you really need to make money on it

I feel the same as you but I work in IT

THEY LIED TO US. ALL OF THEM.
WE FELL FOR THEIR MEME AND DESTROYED OUR LIVES AND WE WILL DIE VIRGINS

I know it's unhealthy, but I literally only sleep that much and wake up naturally feeling fully energized. I don't drink any coffee, tea, or energy drinks.

There's no actual problem solving in this job. It's just how can you write the shittiest code to get some feature implemented in the fastest way before your boss changes his mind next week and makes everything you did obsolete because he realizes what he asked for wasn't feasible. Meanwhile the codebase continues to grow into an unmanageable, slow piece of shit because you're never given any time to remove each abandoned feature that was added along the way. Every job I've had has been exactly like this.

Freelancing is just as bad, only difference is that you also run the risk of not getting paid.

>thinks you need a good idea to succeed

>thinks you can copy what thousands of other people are already doing and succeed

depends on your clients and what projects you choose, mine are pretty cool so i dont worry
>just as bad
it can be even worse, but it's easier to change your client than change your job

Thinking of moving to Seattle too, wanna room together?

How tight is your boipussy?

I'm Christian.

By that logic every single product ever is ruled by a monopoly

delphi software monkey here

without Sup Forums and browsing net would be dead too

christian or not, that's not terrible advice in that image