/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

secure.raptorcs.com/content/TL2B02/intro.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/L6Cqjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/9zqVkT
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464/
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/wat-fix-fix-your-activation-problems.26994/
youtu.be/eSOcUnn1mtQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/QJq9kT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Its a shill OP

What's the best options for getting a copy of windows for gaymen and some business stuff (so can't be pirated)?

Kinguin
Allkeyshop
Ebay

reddit or ebay

Don't those keys get revoked pretty fast?

Is there any real necessity in buying an SSD? Am considering a new 2TB HDD, but might consider an SSD for future workloads.
I don't care for OS boot times, since I generally press the button and go grab a coffee in the morning, and by then both SSD and HDD will have loaded by the time I'm back.
Don't have an M.2 slot in my mobo, so was going to use a SATA drive for workloads like video/photo editing.

>Don't those keys get revoked pretty fast?
Well I have been using mine for 1 year and it hasn't been revoked yet.

>Sup Forums told me coffee lake wouldn't compare to Ryzen
>Ryzen shown to be BTFO in early benchmarks
>almost bought a Ryzen CPU
>never listening to/g/ advice again

If you don't care about loading times from booting a program, a pc etc. then you don't need it.

Hi Brian.

But at what price?

Cheaper than Vega for sure

For someone about to buy a Rizon R7 for $350 leafbux, will anything comparable be in that price range?

Hey /pcbg/, what's the cheapest AMD gpu I can get away with to run 4k videos???

Coffee Lake will be more expensive for sure.

>Talk about CPUs
>B-but their GPU is more expensive!

The absolute state of Intel shills.

So it's fucking nothing then? I don't think I want to up the cost of my build too much.

Coffee Lake isn't a response to Ryzen, it's been in the pipeline too long for them to have reorganized this release. Intel won't have Ryzen competitors until Ice Lake. By then Ryzen 2 or 3 will be out and it'll be a competitive blast.

But until then, there won't be much on Intel's side except for competitive pricing, since that's all they can do with the hardware they have.

and single core performance, and launch day compatibility

To all the Intel VS AMD back and forth: We need both. We need both putting out good products. We need new companies to enter the game too. The last thing you want is for things to become just one company cutting off its R&D budget because it's the only game in town.

I don't give a shit about fanboyism. I just want a good pc.
7700k or 1700 for a 144hz monitor? I don't get the delid meme about the temp of 7700k. Is that hot? How about 1700/1800? Is that bad for gayming?

My 1800X does well on a 1440p 144Hz monitor with a 1080ti.

Intel is still 90%+ marketshare, support AMD until it resembles 50% each.

Pirate 7 and get free upgrade.

Is getting an 80 plus PSU necessary

No.

Im going to upgrade from my old potato gt 740 to rx 480 4gb because it gets in my buget.Is there any better choises for the same price?Sorry if thats not the right threat for my question.

Since I'm a retard/first time builder, would I be able to use a Ryzen 5 1600 with this socket?

I don't want to cough up for another motherboard on top of an i5, and Ryzens are on sale on Amazon atm

Nah m8 Ryzen needs a AM4 socket
You'll have to cough up around 70 bucks at least for a b350 so you can overclock it as well

on top of that you can't reuse your ram if its ddr3

the good news is if you invest now you'll get several years out of the mobo because amd is really going to support the am4 socket

Fair enough. I've got a 1060 and a 650W PSU out for delivery today and was just wondering if I could just hop up to that.

>Having to gut a 300 pound build within a year because its discontinued, the A8 is terrible and the drivers constantly cause it to crash without a separate GPU

Admittedly asking to be spoonfed here, but I presume this would all work fine?

The PSU is a G650M and the 1060 is a Zotac

Yep would work fine. Ryzen prefers faster ram, though so people here recommend at least 2666 which seems to be the sweet spot but memory is so expensive rn i cant blame anyone for going for 2400

I just went for the set that was on sale for 2 hour delivery, so yeah.

>tfw didn't fall for the poozen meme
>not going to fall for the poolake either
Who here runs their computer on POWER?

No but you really should.

my budget is more or less 3.5k
needs are mainly virtualization (connected with development) and sometimes I'd like to boot into Windows and play a bit.

Should be able to handle my 2 x 4k screen (not while gaming obv.) and I'd like to maybe get a third one, too

Please respond, I'm very lonely.

good lord give ur poor cpu a break T_T

Rx 580??

secure.raptorcs.com/content/TL2B02/intro.html

>IBM POWER
>sometimes boot into Windows and play a bit

also I was crowdfunding Raptor some years ago on their first board and they didn't deliver, so ...

:( Did you check if they refunded you your money?

pcpartpicker.com/list/L6Cqjc
Yes I am this poor.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/L6Cqjc
8 GB RAM are a bit a waste on this setup

pcpartpicker.com/list/9zqVkT
here.

$475
you haven't seen poor
8gb minimum

>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

Or one USB wifi adapter and a cable permitting best positioning.

$359 USD (~$480 leaf/kangaroo bucks) for the i7 8700K, better gaming performance than current Ryzen, but when you think about a 6+ core CPU, it isn't designed for just gaming.
If I still had my old Athlon, I'd go for Ryzen as opposed to Intel.

>If I still had my old Athlon, I'd go for Ryzen as opposed to Intel.
What? That doesn't make sense. If both are on new platforms it's not like you could just drop a cpu in, so what would it matter which cpu you had before?

Before this, I had an Athlon X4 880K that ran like a housefire. I wanted to upgrade off that housefire processor, so I went for Ryzen. That's why I brought up my old CPU.
I know cores aren't the same across both platforms, but a 4 core 8 thread on Ryzen was $220 (AUD), while the same core count from Intel is $400.
Plus, Ryzen has a better upgrade path to it, so I can drop in a 6+ core on Zen2/3.

I have a 24in 1080p60 and I want a second monitor, I was considering a 1440 in 24in before I read about eye strain caused by going back and forth between two different resolutions.
Can I have some feedback from you guys?

1440x900 = 26 inch TV
1366x768 = 19 inch monitor
My eyes are just fine.
Admittedly, I want to get matching monitors because it just feels weird having non-matching monitors, but other than personal preference on the looks, it's fine.

Make an account on this forum then download Daz loader, you'll need to torrent it.
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464/
If it doesn't work, use forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/wat-fix-fix-your-activation-problems.26994/
It'll restore your version of windows to like it was freshly installed without deleting all your shit, then do Daz loader again

>Coffee Lake isn't a response to Ryzen
It is considering the rushed schedule.

It's supposed to be out on 2018 yet here we are 3 months earlier.

Ice Lake will be next year with 8-cores and a new platform. Coffee Lake will be rendered obsolete by Zen 2, they can even throw a couple more cores just to force Intel to shit out 10-cores.

>ASUS Prime B350M-A, Socket-AM4
or
>MSI B350 Tomahawk, Socket-AM4
Is it wort playing a bit extra for ATX Tomahawk? ASUS one s mATX
Building for the first time

tomahawk.

when can we expect Ryzen 2?

The fuck even integrated graphics can do that

Not him but I've had my eye on asrock x370 taichi because of jap capacitors & support for 600 ohm headphones right on the board is there anything wrong with it?
Heard some shit about early bios updates fucking CPUs

>tfw fall for the Ryzen meme
>tfw see new Intel line

>600 ohms

If you own headphones that need that much you're gonna have a whole setup for them.

Death to Sinus the Faggot.

>see intel line
>delid this
>a socket a year keeps goyim in fear
Nothing of valie was lost

Isn't this their third this year?

An RX 480 8GB reference card for about $305, is it worth it?

early bios updates didn't fuck CPUs. Early bios updates had problems with ram compatibility and wouldn't boot with certain ram kits. This was fixed with the AGESA updates.

>MSI 970 GAMING
>AMD FX-4300
>4 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
>NVIDIA GTX 750 TI
will this work properly? ive been jewed by ebay sellers and sold a bunch of defective parts and things that were not as described, so i ended up with a bunch of stuff i cant use. running low on funds now. only thing i can possibly use is the slow as fuck ram. open to suggestions at this point

How long should you run prime95 to validate the stability of an overclock?

should work fine together.

10 minutes minimum. Personally, I'd do 30 minutes.

15 minutes is sufficent.

Long runs are to test thermals to make sure nothing overheats once the cooler starts chugging it's own hot air.

No.
Its a particularly shitty reference

2018 pinnacle ridge, more like 580 move with ryzen.
2019 - 7nm zen2 cores

no. $250 max for the overheating reference shit, $270 for an aib. Just get a 1060 or find a used 980ti.
It's compatible, but I feel sorry for you. I hope you escape your poverty.

these, but if you are water cooling do like an hour, because water retains the heat, and you won't start seeing it until a while in.
youtu.be/eSOcUnn1mtQ

i wasnt impoverished before this. i had 800 dollars to spend on the pc and i got suckered into chinese "deals" where older parts are sold for so cheap you cant really complain that they arrived broken. i ended up with an lga1156 motherboard and a crappy 2nd gen i5 and 8gb of 1333mhz ram and that gtx 750. altogether it cost me $220 and it woulda been worth it if the mobo wasnt fried.

I've had prime95 crash an hour and a half into a burn. If you're serious about stability you need to go longer than that.

So taichi x370 is good to go or are there better boards available for the same price
Would greatly prefer durability as i hope to upgrade the cpu during 3rd gen xen

Excuse my autism but this question is real.

About a month ago I built my first PC - Ryzen 1600 / 1050ti. I fugged up putting my cooler on and while taking it off I accidently scratched my ihs. Pic related. Now, it's probably not a huge deal but it's been making me extremely paranoid. I get around 50C-60C in most games I play, mostly around 55. It's not super hot here (ambient around 20) so I'm not sure how normal that is. Here's where the autism kicks in; I'm genuinely thinking of buying a new CPU. How retarded would that be? I should probably upgrade to a 1060 first and run my 1600 to the ground right? Please no bully.

The actual CPU die is in the center of the heatspreader, so it shouldn't make a tangible difference in temps. Filling in the gaps is what thermal paste is for anyway.

I should've said too, 50-60c is fine. Those are actually good load temps.

Scratching IHS is no big deal. CPU is under it so IHS kind of acts like armor.

The scratch isn't even where the die is. The thermal transfer of the IHS isn't going to be affected in any meaningful way.

should be fine.

I've bought about 50 games through allkeyshop and only one key for revoked by steam for stolen credit card

lol, you could 400grit sandpaper the fucker and it wouldn't be that much of an issue. You're fine.

>Corsair Force MP500 240GB M.2 PCIe SSD M.2 2280, PCIe, NVME, up to 3000/2400MB/s read/write, 349 TBW
>Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" SSD OEM SATA 3.0, 2.5", up to 550/490MB/s read/write, 7mm, 100 TBW
Is this a big difference? Corsair costs twice as much

About to buy a 1050 and sell my old 750 ti. Should come out to $70 CDN after I sell it. Worth the upgrade?

One is SSD and the other is m.2 NVME. If you don't work with massive files then NVME is a waste of money. There are M.2 SSDs if you want less clutter at a similar price point as normal SSD.

I mean, I guess you don't really understand the specs you just posted. The corsair one uses the m. 2 pcie interface and should be quite fast. It also has 3.5 times the rated write durability.
The Kingston one uses the slower sata interface. But the thing is, sata ssds are so fast for daily use that you won't really notice a difference with a pcie one. Just get the cheap one.

Wait, how much are you selling your 750ti for?
I ask because I'm considering selling mine, and have no clue what a realistic price is desu

Selling it for $100 CDN, which is a little low. I've seen prices range from $80 (really low) to $140 (you gotta be kidding bro)

get a 1050ti or a used 960 instead if you really want it to feel like a worthwhile upgrade.

>used GPUs
1. Fans rattle like the screams of the damned
2. Cryptofucked
3. Smells like an ashtray

One or more of the above will definitely happen. No thanks.

get a 1050ti or save for a 1060

1 and 3 can be fixed if you are aren't too simple to look up a YouTube guide. 2) probably won't happen because a gtx 960 is going to have terrible hashes per watt for crypto.

pcpartpicker.com/list/QJq9kT
Is this retarded? Considering switching 1600x to plain 1600, I currently have a Phenom system and I plan to use the case, PSU(450W), HDDs and the HSF, not really settled on the exact parts yet + I'm a filthy euro so prices are a bit off

Get the 1600. It's cheaper, comes with a decent cooler and OCs the same. Consider a dual fan GPU to keep temps and noise down.