What stage are you on?

What stage are you on?

on the last, ubuntu gnome here

This is retarded. Arch is the last true stage. It doesn't make anything harder, it just makes everything easy and simple.

/thread
If I ever have to install something new, it rarely takes longer than 15 seconds on Arch.

I just installed Mint for the first time through Parallels on my MBP. I skipped Ubuntu. It's a pretty nice interface.

Shame it doesn't support Adobe Creative Suite.

It's funny how accurate this is. Ubuntu was the first distro I used in the late noughties. Then I switched to Debian, then Arch, and now I'm back to Debian because Arch required too much maintenance. I have been considering switching to Fedora now too.

>because you're too retarded to look up how to change the desktop you choose something like Xubuntu or Mint

Except the *buntu distros actually differ in more than just the DE.

Started with Ubuntu, and have really only ever used it, because yes, I do have to get work done. I briefly tried Fedora, but found that a few programs I use frequently were only available as .deb and not .rpm.

I installed Arch on a spare laptop just for fun, but haven't done anything with it. Also tried Debian, but getting it working on my laptop was too much hassle compared to Ubuntu.

So I mostly just skipped from the first stage to the last stage (though I have changed the theme and icon pack if that really counts as customization)

Last stage, Debian Testing with cinnamon.

Correct. It's not hard if you know what you're doing. OP's just a fgt.

>difficult as possible for yourself
It's not making things difficult. It's trying new things, and seeing what you can get done with the most minimal tools possible (i.e. things you could do w/o a GUI). Nobody does actual work outside their comfort zone - that's what the GUI's for.

arch is great, i can say that for sure, having used it for 3+ years. its customizeable, simple, and pacman and aur are awesome. but this chart definitely is true, and im sure that you will learn that in a couple of years as well. for day-to-day use where the computer is only used as a tool, out-of-the-box distros like ubuntu, fedora and manjaro are the best choise.
my disto of choise is fedora with gnome

oh? care to elaborate?

1) Ubuntu - Didn't like the
2) Crunchbang - It was ok. it was debian and debian feels bad to use.
3) OpenBSD - Awesome but I wasn't familiar with it and wanted a larger community for support. Would like to go back.
4) Majaro - heard the aur was good.\
5) Debian testing - I'm familiar with how things and gives me flexibility without using arch of gentoo. I feel it something else would be nicer to use but it's doing ok now.

can Sup Forums give opensuse some loving

Ubuntu - didn't like the company and things are added I don't use.

When they fix their font rendering.

I've never left the Ubuntu stage.

when it will do something to deserve it. Righ now it's being even worse than Fedora (which is a hard thing to do)

fix it yourself weeb

Ubuntu
Ubuntu MATE
Fedora
Debian
Kubuntu
Debian
OpenSUSE

Mandrake to Slackware to Arch/Debian to macOS/Fedora/CentOS/FreeNAS over 15 years.

Reached the final form some time ago.

>implying

The last one, but I skipped the gentoo/arch stage.

You forgot the "backtrack/kali lol im haxxor run everything as root because I don't really know shit" stage.

And the last stage is more likely to be windows+ubuntu dual boot.

i used gentoo as my first distro and i'm never going back

t. stuck on stage 3

By that logic, I was on the last stage from the beginning.

The actual last stage is to finish school and get into the real world where you realize you need to get things done and to switch back to windows.

Last one

We have dis discussion once a week.
Brief version:
Leap:
Ancient kernel / bad perfomance / server distro / YAST is slow / zypper is shite
Tumbleweed:
bad default settings meant for a server (in a bleeding fucking edge distro) / a lot less packages than in Arch / openQA is a joke / YAST is slow / zypper is shite
If not for Lunduke - nobody would use this dumpster fire

But what about the botnet

>but what about that buzzword autistic teenagers use to justify wasting tremendous amount of time on tweaking, tuning and securing devices they use nigh exclusively to shitpost on Sup Forums and consume media
what about it?

>implying it isn't botnet
Sorry user, I don't think it'll be any use arguing with someone as retarded as yourself.

Who cares, your webcam and microphone spy on you, hardware has backdoors, search engines collect your data, tos is insecure, providers see what you browse, nsa reads your email and if everything else fails j--s still control the media and money.

>LUL botnet LUL retard XD kek LUL
Damn, I'm gonna miss such a worthwhile discussion.

I have important financial data I can't share with operating systems that spy on me.

Fedora or Ubuntu?

It's just somet to talk about. Nobody cares about it outside Sup Forums.

I went through all the stages, but keep going from ubuntu to debian and back(currently at ubuntu). The sole reason that keeps me from settling on this african-american distribution is it's branding. Why did they have to chose such a stupid logo and literally a nigger name? I've geven got used to colors.

Antergos is the final and ultimate form

OpenSUSE
Fedora
Debian
Mint
Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Ubuntu Unity

Not sure if I'll stick with Ubuntu after GNOME

You must be a great citizen.

Your lunch money spreadsheet is hardly important financial data. If you ever happen to be employed, you will soon discover that banks, credit score agencies and financial authorities know more about you than you do anyways.

To be honest, I would go back from arch to ubuntu if ubuntu had something comparable to aur and was a rolling release.

I see no arguments, just retarded memes.

OP pic is fucking true.
I started with Ubuntu
after some time I installed Mint just to see the difference
I used Debian on my servers, just to use something else
Now I am at the Arch level, slowly advancing to Debian, currently sitting on Solus OS on my laptop.

Arch is fast, but I would prefer to install something that work out-of-box rather than configuring everything by myself. Thats why I wanted to try Solus. When I use Arch, I feel that I have a true control of the system but sometimes you have to look for missing dependencies and you cant do your work fast.
Arch Wiki is like a fucking universe of Linux.

Ubuntu is not a bad system and maybe I will comeback to it in the future. The reason why I wanna stay away from it is because people say it's bloated.

Solus OS is pretty comfy. You install it and you go.

>he doesn't hide his income or launder money
good goy

I have a big penis
The biggest in the world actually
It's true because your mom told me

>I see no arguments
Your cognitive deficiencies are hardly my problem.

I wonder how can you solve the captcha with your two digits.

>banks, credit score agencies and financial authorities know more about you than you do anyways.
I cheated on my tax return in 2015. There you and your "argument" go.

Endgame is openSUSE, when you realize that YAST can configure almost anything on the system and you don't need to go exploring man pages for commands that you'll not issue for another 3 years and will need to look up again next time because you forgot them.

Maybe someday it will be worth a damn. What if nobody was left who has even a vague idea of how to circumvent surveillance?

Maki will let me lift her skirt if I get enough (You)'s

>it's bloated
>what is literally ubuntu netinstall

You forgot the true last stage
Going back to Windows 7 to get work done fast.

Went from top to bottom and skipped all the shit in between.

Fedora (pre Ubuntu) to Ubuntu to Xubuntu to Mint to Arch (for a day) Now I don't have either of those machines anymore, and I have raspbian, uncustomized except for installing a sweet KDE pdf program called okular.

This. I followed this. Spent a month on ubuntu, changed to Debian, then arch, then ubuntu, then a full cycle back to Windows. At least I learned a lot.

>Bank Security Act doesn't exist
>my records will magically disappear
Enjoy getting raped by a routine IRS audit, retard.

Does anyone here know Conectiva Linux? That's how I started in 2003. I took a whole week with the system, and then reinstalled Windows.

Then I tried again with Kurumin, a Debian/Knoppix derivative. Eventually the Ubuntu fad kicked in and I joined it.

Eventually I followed pretty much the described path: from Ubuntu to Debian Stable > Arch > Debian > Linux Mint Debian Edition > Mint > Xubuntu.

>Bought MacBook Pro
>Want to be cool hackerman FOSS dude
>Went to GNU/Linux
>Really enjoyed the customisability.
>Spending so much time on that and bash instead of getting shit done
>Been using MacOS for a while now.
>Comfy as shit!
>Actually getting shit done and really productive.

GNU/Linux fags hate me because I am actually a productive member of society who also thinks outside the box.

>what if in a world where computers, IT and infosec are incredibly important and getting more so every day we would someday run out of people competent in either?
Scary stuff. Also zombie apocalypse.

You failed on many levels, i almost pity you.

>reaction pic
>LUL I WIN
How will I ever recover.

>posts frog pictures with babby bait memetext on a teenage autism forum
>productive member of society who also thinks outside the box
hmm

Also I mostly use mac now, because I refuse to touch any Windows version post 7, and the only choice for examsoft is windows or mac. I got a macbook when Windows 10 came out and was still looking as shit as 8.

Looks like iv been stuck on the arch phase for the last 9 years. OP can you please help me move on? I just cant understand why I would like a distro that you dont for so long.

I dont really like this Amazon app and other programs that I dont use. Ofc I can uninstall them but I still have a feeling that they keep some files in my system xD

>can you please help me move on
Try getting a job, family and non-autistic hobbies.

But user, I have all of those things.

What stage is Solus?

>You are back home with your familiar desktop and applications
For me this is Linux. I can't even recall the last time I **used** Windows on this machine for anything but gaming.

last stage, slackware.

Back to Windows 10, made full cycle
My distro of choice is Arch (no bloat, fresh repo, aur, best wiki) with KDE (best DE, fully customizable, allows me to fine tune touchpad/gamepads/power settings/systemd, best software, KDE Connect, plasmoids that show nvidia GPU temperature, low memory footprint)
Desktop on GNU/LINUX however is still not usable yet, due to lack of _native_ Nvidia Optimus support (bumblebee/PRIME is not enough) and issues with hibernation. I still use Arch + LXDE in the VirtualBox on a daily basis though.
I'll come back as soon as Linux Community unite to end/reduce current fragmentation and decide to fix these issues.
Cannonical dropping Unity/Mir in favour of more mainstream GNOME/Wayland is a sign of Hope, but it's a shame that KDE doesn't get enough (deserved) love from the community. This DE is almost ready for toppling Windows 10 user experience in every regard. It just needs Wayland support, Miracast implementation, a competetive browser (KDE spawned WebKit in a first place, mind you) and some polishing of KDE PIM suite.

First time I tried linux was in the 90's.
Grabbed a CD that came with a magazine, installed slackware.
It lacked the drivers for my particular IDE controller board.

Then I tried RedHat for a while, but I managed to break the package manager. Again and again.

Then I installed Debian and it just worked.
Never looked back.

I think people are turned off by the autistiK nomenKlature

I reached patrician level and went back to Windows.

I feel bad for anybody whos OS dictates their lifestyle.

right here. Pacman + yaourt is much less complicated that apt + PPAs.

*trash level
fixed that for ya

Like a real man. Congratulations

>he doesn't base his identity around his desktop environment

maximum pleb

Xubuntu with Chicago 95
It's comfy desu

I manjaro good or do I have to be worried constantly of shit breaking up? Which is better, manjaro or fedora?

Well, you clearly have to be brainlet to get turned off by the least important aspect of the program, a name.

Lmao ubuntufags are lulz
No one who tastes the glory of arch goes back to ubuntu

I use Debian and MacOS as my main OSs. I absolutely hate ricing.

>Last stage.
Debian testing for desktop (using i3 window manager)
Ubuntu for servers (easier and more frequent version upgrades than Debian. nice default programs and other enhancements pre-installed that Debian doesn't come with)

I still think it may be a factor. Ubuntu was very careful in choosing the name.

>Not using bspwm

>GNU/Linux Desktop is made by GNU/Linux Community
>Majority of community are brainlets (Gauss Distribution)
>Thus GNU/Linux Desktop sucks
>Windows and OS X is made by actual workers with proper education, thus suck a little bit less
Who would've thought...

So careful that news stations make fun of it, gimme a breaK.

>Manjaro
>making everything difficult for yourself

FreeBSD

Post-arch. I've been there. I ran Solaris for a while because it was ((((REAL)))) UNIX

Windows is made by the pajeets microsoft could sneak through the US visa system the cheapest.

I'm on the arch level, but I went deeper, I installed lfs booted it up everything was working, a day later I erased it all and installed hackintosh on that space.(BTW all this on laptop, plus both with a dual boot of windows+arch). But I believe I'm gonna stay on arch it definitely is fast in every way.

Ubuntu > Mint > Arch > settled on Manjaro i3

>implying an average pajeet with 2 months of on-the-job training isn't an infinitely better developer than autistic teenager who spends half his time distrohopping and tuning the anime wallpapers to be just so