Are coding bootcamps worth it? - need advice

hey Sup Forums sorry if this is newfaggy of me but you guys are the best to ask.

Long story short things have been going shit for me and I'm trying to turn my life around. Friends and family have recommended that i go into coding.

My cousin advised I look into App Academy, but I'm not sure whats the right program to take, or if any of them really help you get hired or not at the end.

Again, I'm sorry if this breaks sticky rules, but /adv/ is tits on a bull and google is giving me contradictory stuff or (possibly) fake good reviews, and I'm desperate

I’m on the same boat OP, still reading up on that kind of stuff.
good luck

thanks, you too. i'm usually on Sup Forums or /k/ but is Sup Forums mostly tech based shitposting or really helpful?

no

some of the first bootcamps are beginning to shut down because they realized they suck

the bootcamp graduates i've worked with did not perform well at all

pursue a formal CS education, it will pay off immensely

well thats the thing is that I've already graduated from uni, and from how i see things right now, more debt isnt gonna help.

I didnt graduate with a liberal arts degree, (Bachelors of Science in Public Health with a minor in Business, interned at a hospital for 6 months) but the thing is my degree is one of those that when I job hunted on Indeed/Monster/etc. All the positions in the field were basically looking for Masters or entry level stuff required 2-5 years experience.

Try applying for those jobs anyways. Just make a personalized cover letter and prepare well if you get an interview.

They often post much higher requirements than they're willing to accept

Also from your advice does where you go for a formal CS matter or would basic community college shit be fine?

I have been trying that, it was one of the first things I was recommended by my mentor at the hospital. To be precise I don't know whether its because I'm writing the cover letters wrong or my resume is weak because there are some gaps and causing red flags or maybe I'm not fluffing/exaggerating with the right words/phrases.

OP just wanted to say that you aren't the only one going through the same thing.

What's your debt?

Anecdotal, but both of the people I know who went to bootcamps started working and making good money not long after graduating. However they both went to programs that you aren't guaranteed to get in to

I'd hate to prod (and don't feel obligated to answer these), but did you leave on good terms with all of your previous employers? I'm not an HR expert by any means, but I'd try to minimize the gaps as much as possible on your resume. Maybe try putting down some freelance work you did if you have substantial gaps. Back before I had any experience I even put down the oddball jobs I did throughout college (including food and retail) just to show that I had somewhat of a work ethic.

If you really think your degree is a lot cause, though (which imo it isn't given that you actually had an internship at one point), then consider finishing up your business classes and getting a double degree. A lot of business schools (including what mine had) have an array of IS concentrations to choose from. Consider looking into enterprise systems or business analytics. Consider learning how to develop in your free time instead

>App Academy
App development (specifically Android, I don't know about Apple) will make you wanna kill yourself. Do something that you like where you already have basic understanding.

Doing a bootcamp right now for full stack webdev. I've learned a lot, but a big chunk of it is stuff I've learned by myself. In my 5 months at a part time program I've learned the building blocks for development and gained the confidence to learn new skills. That's been my big takeaway.

That said, if I had the cash and time for a formal University program, I would probably do that. I've already got a degree, and I can't go back.

If you've got a degree and are smarter than the average dreg, you'll benefit.

I actually tutor coding courses, but not in the USA.

They're great to get a foot in the door, know the basics, and then to hobby with, but if you're wanting a coding job you should go for a formal education.

Also I don't know what app academy is but if its one of those bullshit programs that says you'll have an app built by the end of the course then its probably bullshit. The goal is not a product of the course but the foundational skills

Here's what you gonna do.Head to wiki.installgentoo.com, read the programming concepts and laguages articles. Then click on the programming ressources article, read every single god-tier/top-tier recommended book (buy it or download a pdf). Finally create a github and make cool projects then write a CV and try finding a job

99.9% of Sup Forums is just Sup Forums tards debating about amd vs intel and gayming, then you have the great windows/apple vs linux bullshit. Just stick to Sup Forumsdpt or go to lainchan

Depends on the bootcamp... Make sure to pick one with good reviews, that helps you develop a PERSONAL portafolio, and that can hook you up to your first gig.

Most of them are shite that sell snake oil, so think before you get into any of them.

A lot of bootcamps fail because they just hire programmers to teach watered down versions of what they know and expect you to do the job hunting, at which point you'll still find yourself at the mercy of the hiring process.

Dont worry about prodding, its something I've gotten used to at this point

no i have generally not left on good terms with previous employers. It is because of my personality, not autismo per se, but more a matter of having a big mouth and a bad habit of skirting the rules.

I have considered putting down freelance work on the resume. Problem is when I apply online the websites 9/10 times want you to punch in all the info on your resume again, and for alot of the freelance work, i just don't have the contact info they need, nevermind if they actually look it up.

Also it isnt as much a lost cause for the degree as much as it is a time crunch and my current one doesnt cut the mustard. Right now most colleges are in the midst of their fall semester so it'd be nigh impossible to get back in at this point. Meaning I'd have to wait for the odd winter break courses or the start of spring semester

and if I havent said it, thanks for your help.

it does say something like that in terms of what students do as an end of the bootcamp project, which is what worries me

they are not. they don't care about making you a good programmer, they just care about shoving a bunch of information into your brain as fast as possible without really teaching you what you need to know. read books and teach yourself, also sign up for CS50.

>lainchan
if you enjoy communists LARPing about how great LISP is without any actual tech knowledge, then yeah. otherwise use somewhere actually decent like 8/tech/

How much programming do you already know?

I did one. Not worth the money. If you have the discipline you can learn way more online for free in the same amount of time.

You want a camp that does two things for you above all else: actually connect you in person to employers and put you to work on group projects.

Without the former you're no better off than if you were on your own, and without the latter you wouldn't be able to work fast enough on projects that are large enough to impress employers.

Some unis in the UK offer general, 1 year computing MSc degrees. You just need to have a 2:1 or better at UG and write a good personal statement to get in.

Employers will value any gormal training over a bootcamp.

started at zil. going through practice problems, videos, etc but according to my cousin who does IT at Columbia, I'm making fast progress

I'm as right wing as the next guy here but Lisp is pretty awesome

Not op, but need advice. I'm learning to program using the curriculum at the Odin Project, is that a good path to be hired as a developer?
I work 60hrs a week in a factory so I'm too broke and busy to pursue formal cis education.