/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

CSD and THD graphs tell you everything you need to know about a headphone!

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UWLGPl_TGq0
ebay.com/itm/251958685490
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for O2

>tfw you finish a listening session with your senns

I just got a HD580, a Fidelio X2, and a THX00 for $680.
I need a source now. I was thinking a budget solid state like a used magni and then an OTL tube like the littledot or dark voice or something?

not a bad idea. If youre handy with a soldering iron the bottlehead crack is a great diy otl tube amp. Also consider the speedball upgrade for it.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

I want to take a pic like this with my LCD-2s but I don't feel like emptying the trash can.

Does anyone here own the Oppo PM-3? I want to know if you can change the pads on it.
I've wanted them for a long time but I just saw some pics in an old /hpg/ with them peeling and shit so as long as I can replace the pads I'll be happy.
I figure I'll wrap the headband with one of the headband comfort things from amazon.
Also is there a better portable IEM or closed back than the pm3 at $400 or so?

They don't sell the pads but you can pop them off and use Brainwavz ones. No idea how that affects sound though.

youtube.com/watch?v=UWLGPl_TGq0

Fuck man. I've seen measurements of pads adding up to like 7db of bass to things like the shp9500. I don't want to hav

That's different because the SHP9500 has velour pads and isn't a closed headphone, of course switching to pleather pads will add a shit ton of bass. The PM3 already has pleather pads and is closed so it won't affect the sound as much.

Sorry my cat stepped on the keyboard.
I don't want to have to make compromises for a $400 headphone.
The $350-700 price range is so barren for portables it sucks

how different are the TH-X00 vs E-MU Teak?

Lads, I'm struggling to choose between these 4. could you guys please advise me on which you'd personally go for? I don't have anything in particular in mind, but I'd like headphones I can listen to music with while on the go. I'm informed on all the terminology, but as I said, I don't have anything specific in mind.

Just go up to $800 and get aeons. NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5
The top 2 are open and not good for portable use, and the M40x is pretty mediocre.

I would but they're not portable, at all. I would get a used lcd2 or hd800 or something at that price if it's a headphone i'm just going to be using at home.
Maybe I'll suck it up and get an andromeda or vega

Aeons are sort of bulky, but I'd say they're fine for portable use because they're pretty durable and have great isolation.

I forgot to mention I have an upper limit of 100 pounds.

considering that, what would you choose based on those 4?

If somehow all my headphones disappeared.
AKG because my ATHs are garbage, love both my AKGs and while the grados are tempting because they are something different I just don't trust them enough when im almost certain im gonna like the akgs

yamaha integrated amps will always be better than headphone audiophool shit

heres a handy chart for your reference when considering midrange headphones

AKG = Philips > Beyerdynamic = Fostex >>>>>>>> Sennheiser >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grado

Get HM5s, they're closed and in your price range and better than the M40X.
>judging headphones by brand
very dumb thing, do not do this

Not him and while I agree with you that you should judge based off brands, brands do tend to develop a house sound overtime so while you might not know exactly how a model will sound you can make some assumptions.

*shouldn't

>I want to know if you can change the pads on it.
You aren't supposed to. Last I asked, it was against the warranty.
But you can, with some difficulty. The pads are intended to be tight fitting to minimize leak and maximize bass response.
Given this concern, and certain experimentation, PM3 doesn't seem like it would tolerate a loose fitting pad well.

Has more to do with the leak introduced by the earpads and baflle integrated leak. Swapping to impermeable pads on certain headphones may not have a significant effect.

M40X is closed, K612 is open backed.
M40X has a detachable cable, K612 is hardwired.
K612 sensitivity is quite low for a modern headphone, but its sensitivity is fairly even throughout the spectrum. A headphone that would likely require an amplifier.
M40X less even sensitivity, has some bass boost, common midrange cancellation effects, treble spikes, and so on. It is much more sensitive than K612.
Other options, MDR-V6 and 7506, Lindy HF-100, SHP9500S, and other things I can't be bothered to think of right now.

I would listen to the K612, but it's not so user friendly

Thank you very much for the advice. Considering I'd want to be using my headphones while outside, the k612s are probably a bad choice. M40X it is.

>tfw only 2 open amp designs exist
>Both ancient
Why can't we have more

Because NwAvGuy is dead.

O stands for objective not open.

Why do you need anything but the O2? It's transparent.

Seriously, what the hell happened to that guy?

Fucked into oblivion by kikes

Schiit put a hit on him

oh boy here we go

So does the magni have more bass than the o2? if not whats the point in both existing. Surely ones better than the other.

Apparently not and schiit made something better.

They're both transparent.
>what's the point
Magni is cheaper if you don't want to build it yourself. O2 is potentially cheaper if you do want to build it yourself.

>it's transparent
By who's standard?

I was thinking on buying the beyer dt1990 as an all-rounder and the monolith m565 as an entry level planar but then realized that due to importing cost i can buy the hifiman x v2 locally for around the same price
Which way should i go?

Could you please explain? I'm not him, but I'm curious about what's the magic inside of DACs.

Magni 2 and 3 are a bit warmer than neutral

I was referring to the o2 amp not odac.
Not even sure how odac performs.

>DT1990
>all-rounder
All-around treble rape.

source on those cans? They look comfy.

>Beyersremorse
>Monoprice
>Chifiman
The holy trinity of shit fucking headphone brands.

Poor bait mate

>both transparent
>magni is warmer

So who's lying.

>buying an amp that clips itself

Are these $1000 IEMs even worth it?

Can they truly compete with headphones at all?

Performance of desktop headphone amplifiers is not an interesting and not subject to rapid development. It is by all means stable, and has been stable for a very long time.

The ODAC performance is solid. The Modi not so much, but probably still good enough.
Or did you want to know how these things work?

To help in interpreting this. It's audibly transparent.

most iems sound and measure better than headphones without the need for EQ. That being said, if you're spending $1,000 you should look into CIEMs at that price range

>retarded BA meme
IEMs should cost no more than $50.

>Are these $1000 IEMs even worth it?
>Can they truly compete with headphones at all?
Repost
>are these...worth it
When would this be an appropriate question to ask someone? Especially someone who doesn't know about you?
An ill-posed question. The answer is yes, because what you want has hardly anything to do with your constraints.
Money does not mean a desired frequency response, nor linearity. At best, it is constructed with more attention to materiel defects. Or not, as JHA shell issues show. It takes comparatively little money to control the acoustic variables in an earphone past the drive units.
>What if it's a custom iem?
There are a few sonic reasons not to go with a custom mold. It would mostly concern the difficulty in using and exchanging dampers, as well as the closed canal resonance.

Do you want suggestions, or do you just want to fuck around?

I saw somewhere though that the odac improperly implements the ess dac.

Ok thanks.

Is that about the original or rev. B?

>mfw bought a Magni 2 Uber 2 months ago and Magni 3 just came out

I recall connection issues, but the performance as a converter is more than fine. You have to be more specific than "improperly implements".

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but where can I find vinyl/leather ear pads for a pair of Grado SR80e's? I want them so that I can work out with them on and not saturate the ear pads.

I meant to say pleather/plasticy material

ebay.com/itm/251958685490

Closest thing I could find

Bluedio sucks, are there a better chink Bluetooth headphone with APT-X support?

I hope you'll be working out at home.
>working out in public
>with fucking Grados

>I enjoy listening to Beyerdynamics

Do people unironically hold this view?

Sure, lots of people have high frequency hearing loss.

I picked up a set of 2.1 speakers for $25 from Family Dollar and no shit they sound better than all 4 of my headphones. It's so discouraging. If I could just have headphones that sound exactly like this all the time I would be content.

>high frequency hearing loss
Caused by extended use of Beyers?

>2.1

It's two tiny spherical speakers and a sub. I have them hooked up to my dragonfly.
If any of my headphones sounded this good I would listen to music 24/7.

>single-driver satellites

I bet they're like my old $20 LS11s where they can only do mid range but it makes the vocals sound so clear and smooth. I've used it for so many years and I still haven't found something close to the clearness and smoothness.

now imagine what a pair of studio monitors like the lsr305 sound like.

Worse, speakercuck ;)

>single driver stellites
>a sub
>$25
sounds better than my dampened EQ'd dt990, takstar pro 80, sony xba-h1, m50x, and beatsx. It's doing this thing with the vocals where you can feel it as the singer gets higher pitched, it's fucking wonderful. I've tried to explain it when looking for headphone rec's but I can't. I guess it has to do with reverb since the speakers do it better than headphones and closed headphones/iems cant do it at all.

>sounds better than my dampened EQ'd dt990, takstar pro 80, sony xba-h1, m50x, and beatsx
Of course it does. Those are all terrible headphones.
>mfw this nigga

I've had mine for a few months (haven't used it the whole time) but I keep having this feeling about them that somethings off. I wonder how long it takes to get used a new speaker.

You're a retard but thanks for sharing the webm's of girls laughing.
Going to be bummed when my he560 gets here and it's worse than my $25 speakers.

>he fell for the Chifiman meme

Shouldn't have bought anything from Schiit in the first place.

>inb4 some shill links to that "life story of Schiit" thread on Head-fi yet again

They won't even do anything about defective Fulla 2s people buy directly from their website

Could be the positioning, that being said have you listened to any speakers previously? Loudspeaker imaging and soundstage is much different than headphones.

okay you can stop being a retard now.
>mfw people complain about the tripfag but shitposters like you exist
this general is cancer because of individuals such as yourself.

So, why do you need both an x2 and x00?

t. angry tripcuck worshipper

Yeah I've used only speakers since headphones can't do soundstage past a few inches and it sound unrealistic. The two things that bug me the most with LSR305 is sibilance in vocals and the sound stage feels more restricted to the speakers. I'm using a small desk right now so I can't angle directly with my ears but I have them ear level and on stands.

Well I tried the dt880 and it sounded worse than my 990, same with the hd600. he560 blew me away but I didn't get a chance to EQ any of them or listen to more than a few songs. The sound was so smooth and pleasing out of the 560. Didn't get a chance to try the m1060 because they didn't have it but I really want to hear a fuzzored one. Dt1770 was trash, dt1990 was too similar to the 990.
Maybe some of those headphones would have been better with EQ but I don't consider that an upgrade. New shit should sound better than my old shit eq'd.
They wanted fucking $650 for the 560 or I'd have it already.

>same with the hd600
Stopped reading.

>560
>literally the same nobass piece of shit as the 400i
stop

cat + headphones

yeah good talk man, see ya
havent heard a 400i yet

>havent heard a 400i yet
It sounds the same as the 560 (like shit)

I don't think you've ever actually heard it but thanks for the you's man I appreciate it.

Nah, I've heard it.
Not all of us like accuracy and good sound, I understand.

not sure what your previous speakers were, but I know the treble and upper mids are unforgiving (they're very flat) so in comparison to more forgiving designs they can sound bright.

The restricted soundstage is probably a result of the waveguide, which controls directivity. And probably prevents too much off axis response from causing room boundary reflections. This would cause the "boxed in" effect you describe.

They do have trim controls on the back for the high frequencies. Did you try dicking around with that at all?

pics or didn't happen

You first.

>no bass
>he-400i

literally retarded.

for my beyercucks out there

It was night and day better than everything that I demo'd though (dt880, dt1770, dt1990,hd600)
I want to go back and try some of the high end stuff, didn't have much time and wanted to make sure I used it on stuff in my budget.

I'm sorry you don't know how to read graphs.
Hey man, some people like beats. No need to be ashamed.