Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/zZjaxeW.png
i.imgur.com/Ad8JuwX.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vim. And a terminal.

plain text editor, compile with command line utility

either tex studio or a custom vim environment using the vimtex plugin

ed

Texmaker. It's cross-platform and comfy.

Upvoted

i love vimi but vim sucks for long lines

texmaker is the inferior latex ide. tex studio is 10 times better

>vim sucks for long lines
what did he mean by this

why do you need an IDE for basic writing and text markup?

>i love vimi but vim sucks for long lines
Wut? Just turn on wrapping.

Gummi because it has instant rendering and I'm still learning TeX

Too bad the dev stopped working on it

No, wrapping isn't the problem. If a wrapped line is too long for the entire line to fit in the current view, vim just doesn't display the line.

>what is pdf preview
>what is reverse search
>what is automatic installation of missing packages

vim would require a fair bit of configuration to accomplish all of that. I use both btw

>pdf preview
if you're constantly looking at the pdf output of your code, you should just be using Word.

>what is automatic installation of missing packages
command line utility also does that

to illustrate what I mean, here's a short series of test cases.
i.imgur.com/zZjaxeW.png this is the start of the document
i.imgur.com/Ad8JuwX.png this is what happens when i put my cursor on the line that starts with "line" and press "j" once
and it's hard to capture in videos but if I put the very long line at the very top of the screen, then place my cursor at the very bottom and scroll down one line, the entire top line disappears even though it's wrapped to multiple visual lines

i don't get what you mean. maybe unrelated but you can split your sentences on as many lines as you want since latex doesn't care.

>if you're constantly looking at the pdf output of your code, you should just be using Word.
nice made up rule fag. if you're customizing the style of your document or drawing images/plots with tikz you need to check your pdf. as I said I also use vim but tex studio requires far less tinkering

I put examples in personally i hate splitting sentences, it always feels like a crutch to avoid something that shouldn't even be a problem

It's not just my rule. The guiding principle of latex is that you have a conceptual split between content creation and visual formatting. That said, I can see how it might be useful to have a quickly updated preview once you've completed writing and you're just fucking around with minor visual elements, but you shouldn't need a pdf preview all the time while writing.

vim with live preview in mupdf, luke smith style

Exactly. Just like how you should test your programs after writing the entire thing instead of testing individual methods and pieces of code.

t. has never written a table or a long equation

Writing plaintext is not writing code. A misplaced section header doesn't make your document into nonsense.

I've written plenty of both. If there are mistakes, I fix them in the final document once I have it finished.

It literally does if you use class files

emacs/AucTeX

i'm using a comfy vim config with live preview, autocomplete and snippets, and am very happy with it

was just wondering if such a setup can be made with emacs ?

Am I the only one that tries to stay within 100 characters a line, and indents for sections/environments like I'm writing code? Editing a tex file a few weeks later without this is fucking painful.

Ask Luke.