Now it's Atari

techpowerup.com/237348/ataribox-hits-stores-next-spring-for-under-usd-300-with-amd-radeon-graphics-linux
>One more console secures partnership with AMD
>Oh and BTW FYI - it runs on Linux
Huang's nGreedia and Proprietary Slavers never been both BTFO'd so hard at the same time as they were today

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK#2016.E2.80.93present:_Foreign_acquisition_and_brand_restoration
wccftech.com/ataribox-custom-amd-cpu-radeon-mid-range-pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

some say amd lost money on all of it's console deals

Wow Nvidia will lose out on all 5 sales of the DOAbox.

Those people work for Nvidia.

Partnership with Sony and XBAWKZ is what kept it afloat for the last 5 years, in contrary. Zen was LITERALLY developed and mass produced on the money they've accumulated through console contracts. So future is this - XBAWKZ is AMD, Sony is AMD, Atari is AMD, Nintendon't - noVideo Tegra (before Switch Nintendon't was also in partnership with AMD).

I have doubts that this will actually be successful but AMD makes money here either way. Any failure would be on Atari, if the console is actually successful AMD just makes more money.

Place your bets on the CPU/GPU used
I'd say its a Raven Ridge 4c/4t APU with some RX560 level integrated GPU

>cracp excavator 4 core with 768sp gpu

For 300 burgers I doubt it is going to be as bleeding edge as that given I doubt nu-atari has anywhere near ther buying power to get prices low enough for that to be viable.

Atari doesn't plan to just make "another emulation box" with a bunch of classic titles. They're actually currently working hard on securing new IP and exclusive development partnerships with big companies, so they'll have new never-seen-before titles, some of which will be exclusive to this particular platform. Considering the price they're going to sell this at by default, I highly doubt it'll have massive problems like, for example, Ouya had. It's Atari, for fucks sakes. They know shit on games and how to make a good console. Sure, this ain't no Sega's/NEC's/SNK's Comeback into hardware business, but still pretty significant nonetheless. And who knows - if this becomes successful maybe this will actually be a nudge powerful enough for Sega to finally return into the game, and if that happens you can bet ass SNK and NEC follow shortly after.

i don't even nvidia
t. crying-wojak.jpg

>exclusive to this platform
>linux
Doubt

>DOAbox
you mean dead on arrival or dead or alive

Excavator isn't much when compared to Zen but it could actually handle moderate gaymen pretty well. If it had an 8 core excavator based chip it would probably be better than the xbone and PS4 CPU wise. The GPU might be some low end thing.

Blood 3 when?

>mfw

Not exclusive to OS, but for the hardware. Who knows what dip-switches and hardware locks it'll have. Even if Linux, console hardware is not exactly the same as a computer, man. Even nowadays. PS 3 and PS 4, for example, are running on effing OpenBSD, so what, it doesn't make any PS 3 or PS 4 exclusive easily available or playable on PC. Consoles behave and work differently than a typical PC build, otherwise we'd have 100% working emulators on each and every consoles ever made out there in existence so far by this time. For one, consoles have INSANE advantage over PCs sheer reachability-to-metal wise. If PCs still majorly operate on high level and outer rings base, consoles were always either outright ring 0, or ring 1.

s/Open/Free/

atari needs to crowdfund?

>I'd say it's a Raven Ridge 4c/4t APU
Even Kusone and PS 4 have 8 core custom-built APUs on Jaguar footing, and those are more than 3 years old now, so I highly doubt Atari goes anything lower than at least 4 cores and 8 threads (basically a top Raven Ridge offering), to keep up. IF it's going to be a gen1 Zen APU, that is. This might as well turn out to be Zen+, considering the estimated release date.

Good way judge interest so you know how many to build before you dump over 9billion dollars into a project

>Yu Suzuki needs to crowdfund?
>Chris Roberts needs to crowdfund?
>Tim Schafer needs to crowdfund?
>David Braben needs to crowdfund?
>Swen Vincke needs to crowdfund?
>Richard Garriott needs to crowdfund?
>Koji Igarashi needs to crowdfund?
>Brian Fargo needs to crowdfund?

I wish all modern technology looked this /aesthetic/

The wood is new orange.

whoa, this is literally the type of console that managers would put in their extremely polished offices

C L A S S Y

They can't keep getting away with this!

1. Highly likely after Half-Life 3.
2. Blood II was garbage, so definitely after Half-Life 3. Just like Nightmare Creatures 3.
3. What does Atari has to do with Blood? It was Monolith and GT.

You spin me right round baby right round...

Doesn't Atari have publishing rights to Blood?

>this is literally the type of console that yuppies would put in their extremely gaudy offices in the 80s

That's the first time I've heard this.

>Atari doesn't plan to just make "another emulation box" with a bunch of classic titles.
And yet that's exactly what this is. Go figure.

>They're actually currently working hard on securing new IP and exclusive development partnerships with big companies, so they'll have new never-seen-before titles, some of which will be exclusive to this particular platform.
This reads more like marketing copy than anything else.

>It's Atari, for fucks sakes.
No, it isn't, nor has it been the Atari you're remembering in decades. The Atari of yesteryear is long gone. It exists now as a rebranding of a French company formerly known as Infogrames. Their only claim to fame within the industry is... well... nothing, actually. They've done a few online games in their day.

>They know shit on games and how to make a good console.
Yes, the Atari you remember certainly did. The Atari that exists today knows exactly jack and shit about either, having never made a good game or any console at all.

>for Sega to finally return into the game
Doubtful, especially given their newly found fame and riches in recent years through acquiring other companies/IPs and effectively letting them print money while they sit back and "manage" it all. Sega has no need whatsoever to invest themselves into reentering the hardware market when the preexisting one is more than adequate enough to allow their newly-purchased puppets to make them money.

>SNK
The SNK that recently spent every yen it had (and didn't have) just to push out the latest, mediocre entry into the only marginally profitable series they have? The SNK that teeters on insolvency for so long and so often that they're, yet again, independently owned? Even Playmore didn't want them anymore, as sad as that is.

>NEC
Yes, I'm sure the PC-Motor/TurboGrafx32 is going to be the hot seller of the 2020 Christmas season. Blazing Lazers 2! Please look forward to it!

That's where you're wrong kiddo. AMD has said their semi custom margins are razor thin, literally 10% not even 20-30% like other products. They made money by selling Gpus because semi custom partners basically subsidized the development of new GPUs to go into the console SOCs and AMD spun development off those GPUs to bring new dGPUs to market.

They have the rights to publish the individual games, blood and blood2. Monolith(Time/Warner) owns the IP to make any new games

>that's exactly what this is
Not really. It's a full system, not just a bunch of Linux-emulated old Atari games. It DOES have old Atari games, but those are mere bonus and not full intended game base of this platform.

>No, it isn't, nor has it been the Atari you're remembering in decades
Dude just fucking stop with this FUD BS. This console was officially approved and is strongly adored by the NOLAN-FUCKING-BUSHNELL HIMSELF. This IS the legitimate "modern age nextgen Atari console".

>French company formerly known as Infogrames. Their only claim to fame within the industry is... well... nothing
KYS. They've created original Alone In The Dark, they've also did several of the best "Asterix & Obelix" licensed video games ever made out there. If you ever played a good Asterix game on Genesis/SNES, Saturn, 3D0, or PSOne - it was made by Infogrames.

>but those are mere bonus and not full intended game base of this platform.
Then what, praytell, IS the intended game base of this platform? Consoles sell because they have well-known development houses promising big AAA titles for them.
>i'm buying the new playstation because i know that's the platform that the new final fantasy whatever is coming out on
>i'm buying the new nintendo system because i know that's where i'm going to find new mario and zelda titles
>i'm buying the new atari console because... uhh... emulated 2600 asteroids?

>Dude just fucking stop with this FUD BS.
It isn't FUD nor bullshit. It's fact. The Atari you're remembering has been gone and buried for decades. It exists in name only. Again, that name being a French company formerly known as Infogrames.

>This console was officially approved and is strongly adored by the NOLAN-FUCKING-BUSHNELL HIMSELF.
The Nolan Bushnell who was forced out of the company in 1978? Had he not taken a position on the board of directors with Atari/Infogrames in 2010, he'd have literally no connection with this new console at all. As it stands, they certainly didn't need his approval, official or otherwise.

>This IS the legitimate "modern age nextgen Atari console".
I'm just going to call it the Ouya2 for the time being. Seems like a safe bet.

>The SNK that recently spent every yen it had (and didn't have) just to push out the latest, mediocre entry into the only marginally profitable series they have? The SNK that teeters on insolvency for so long and so often that they're, yet again, independently owned? Even Playmore didn't want them anymore, as sad as that is.
What the fuck are you smoking, kid? I want some of that shit too.
First of all - SNK bought themselves OUT of Playmore. They're now completely free and self-sustained, like they were before the early 2000's crash and bankruptcy.
Secondly - KoF XIV is IMMENSELY successful and it became especially well selling when it got to Steam. They're developing new Samurai Spirits AND Garou right now, because they have the dough they need and they're now fully getting back into the action, gaining immense momentum. SNK is doing VERY well right now, you dumb fuck.

>I'm just going to call it the Ouya2 for the time being
Not that guy but that seems a bit unfair. My money's on it being hacked and running a proper OS within the first three months of it being launched. That'll make it a thoroughly mediocre but stylish prebuilt for anyone who wants a cheap gahnoo loonix machine.

NEC never made Turbo GraFx, you dumb uneducated imbecile. It was USA's project. NEC did the GODLIKE PERFECTION that were PC-98 and original PC Engine. PC Engine is magnitudes better than effing Turbo GraFx, not just on software level but also hardware, it's a FACT.

>Infogrames

Didn't they make Driver 2 and Sheep Raider?

> AMD has said their semi custom margins are razor thin
Just sandbagging, nothing more than that.

>Then what, praytell, IS the intended game base of this platform?
Steam/GOG Linux multi, new IPs, exclusives, indies. Naturally.

You're forgetting Hogs of War which features the VA of Rik Mayall.

It already runs on fully enabled Linux. What the fuck do you mean by "running a proper OS"? Are you going to install ReactOS on it?

>SNK bought themselves OUT of Playmore.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK#2016.E2.80.93present:_Foreign_acquisition_and_brand_restoration

>KoF XIV is IMMENSELY successful
[citation needed]

>it became especially well selling when it got to Steam.
>Owners: 30,317
For comparison, some of its competing genre titles on Steam...
>tekken 7: 319,908
>street fighter v: 304,071
>gg xrd revelator: 68,326
>bb centralfiction: 44,344
Doesn't even look like it's beating out the less popular "anime" style fighters from companies like Arc System Works, let alone anyone else.

>They're developing new Samurai Spirits AND Garou right now
Yeah, looks like mostly rumors right now, at least after a quick Google search. Hopefully they'll make at least one of these actually happen.

None of Atari's recent games have been good or sold well, I don't know how the company is still alive.

Driver 2 was Ubishit after it bought the poor bastards Reflections. Infogrames only published.

Hogs were a mediocre Worms clone, before Worms themselves became 3D. Nothing of interest IMHO.

I think they're alive solely on licensing and old game sales (i.e. Roller Coaster Tycoon)

>Owners: 30,317
Now add roughly 15 mil worldwide of those who pirated it after it got on Steam and was cracked.

>Hogs were a mediocre Worms clone,

[citation needed]

>wikipedia
KYS

>gets btfo by facts
>starts shitposting
SYK

B-b-but it's truth.

>Facts
>Wikipedia
This is the mental state of modern liberasts, ladies and gentlemen.

Anything to change the subject away from how you were wrong, amirite?

Alright, I'll leave you to your asshurt and transparent attempts to redirect the conversation to Sup Forumstier shitflinging. Sorry I had to blow you the fuck out like that, but you had it coming. Better luck next time.

Fine, fine, I admit your defeat if that is what you're wishing for so hard, sheesh.

>ps4 running openbsd

Sauce?

Id believe it is using that as a kernal, but that is miles away from how it would run on a desktop. Like Android.

I hate nvidia's anti-consumer practises but my company is based on deep learning meme so I can't really go AMD. Besides they give us some discount because we're good goys.

My bad, it was a mistake. It's not on OpenBSD, but FreeBSD. PS 3 and PS 4 use customized versions of FreeBSD.

What's the chance it'll run Dolphin or PCSX2? Not confident about pcsx2 though.

wccftech.com/ataribox-custom-amd-cpu-radeon-mid-range-pc

>Will be able to run recent games

>Will be capable of playing titles that a 2017 mid-range PC can

The fuck? They're the same machine, the only difference is the us board and case were larger for marketing purposes and possible soldered on game roms like the SMS. Fuckin triggered my autism.

I'm gonna buy one.

Holy fuck it's glorious

Atari massive flop

See here - . You can roughly estimate your emulation needs basing the calculations off of that. Modern Dolphin is in question, but PCSX 2 will definitely be able to run in it while 1920x1080 + graphen just fine (no x8 or higher internal res, though. But x2/x4/x6 are probably manageable with stable 60 FPS across the board).

So basically some kind of Pinnacle Ridge or Raven Ridge-derived APU solution?

Unironically this is very likely possibility.

>And yet that's exactly what this is. Go figure.
No its not,that already happened.

They're NOT same thing. Hardware is different (Turbo is WAAAY shittier than PC Engine components-wise), build quality is different. They're only similar on software side. Turbo sucks ass, while PC Engine was ALWAYS glorious and unlike it's 'Murican bastard offshoot PC Engine was SO popular in Japan that it DIRECTLY traded blows not only with Famicom but ALSO Master System AND MegaDrive BOTH AT THE SAME TIME for quite a long time.

PC Engine was more powerful than Sega Genesis/Megadrive, while MSX is an actual friggin' computer (MSX 2 is especially powerful) all way through. Nothing surprising at all. Quite honestly, absolute majority of PC Engine's and MSX's versions of games which were also available for other platforms were much better simply because PC Engine and MSX had more resources and power. Not always, though. Some of the console versions of games sometimes clearly looked and ran better than their PC Engine and MSX counterparts, though this happened not very often. It all heavily depended on sheer coding skill of developers themselves also, some developing groups/companies just weren't skilled enough to fully utilize all of the resources PC Engine and/or MSX provided (this was especially true in regards to MSX 2/ MSX 2+). Same goes for NEC PC-98. Most of NEC PC-98's versions of "multi-platform" releases look and run way better than their console counterparts, while some actually in all honesty can't be called anything else than just "horrendously badly coded underwhelming garbage".

Considering the "2017 mid range PC" performance and "ability to play all modern games" (highly likely in 1920x1080, too), I'd say it's either top Raven Ridge, or Zen+ APU.

Well, strictly speaking, PC Engine was taking A LOT from NEC's main computing platforms of that time (PC-88 and PC-98, is what I mainly mean), because (well, duh) PC Engine was a NEC's product also. NEC essentially created an almost-perfect ecosystem for it's products where software from one to another could be ported relatively easily and quite fast, which in itself made coding for PC Engine a true breeze for anyone who had at least some prior experience with handling PC-88 or PC-98. And there was A LOT of game developing teams & companies out there who truly appreciated that and thus could utilize 100% of PC Engine's resources with ease, because NEC's products in general and PC-98 in particular were SUPER-EFFING-POPULAR in Japan. It were primarily only the westerner "bakagaijin" countries where "Turbo GraFx" died out and has fallen into the obscurity semi-early, but in eastern Asian region as a whole and ESPECIALLY in Japan PC Engine was SO GODDAMN POPULAR that it easily threaded blows with "major players" of the home gaming console segment of the market and did it very well right all the way up until Saturn and PSOne came to the scene. To say that NEC was light years ahead of it's time with most of it's marketing practices and ways how their hardware R&D was thinking, as well as how the company treated it's (already very solidly established by the time PC Engine came out) fanbase in general, is to heavily underestimate things. The mere fact alone that SNK highly praised NEC and at one point outright proclaimed openly that PC-98 & PC Engine was what directly inspired creation of the entire Neo-Geo platform in the first place, should tell you a lot already. I bet your friggin' ass (as well as mine) that if NEC wouldn't have folded in so goddamn fast and easily after TG-16 "fiasco" on the bakagaijin market, these days it'd be one of the biggest and most powerful players in the modern "console wars", probably would've been threading blows directly with Sony by now.

>Kusone
Thats very original, nice.

Nah, just the literal translation of how it's being called at GameFAQs. It's section is called "XONE". Kuso = XO. Kuso = shit. We all know what it is, so XONE = Kusone. Way more accurate than Xbone, in my opinion.

dae miss advertising like this?

>dae miss
What?

>Driver 2 was Ubishit
bull. shit.
you weren't born when driver2 was released

>ataribox
More like shit scam

>source: my ass

To be fair to that guy a 10-20% margin for products that take tens of millions to develop, while it can be technically profitable, leaves little room for growth in continued development across the entire company.

Fuck that thing is sexy but they'd have to be using a custom APU for those claims to hold weight. Way way too small for any power use above 65w to be thermally manageable.

there's literally no reason for AMD to sell SoCs at a loss. unlike consoles they don't have the incentive of baiting lusers into a walled garden where they can be milked.

most likely their margins are small but that's actually OK considering they got a good amount of revenue out of a uarch that would otherwise have been a disastrous failure.

Holy shit people are retarded.
Please leave.

what kind of fucking drugs are you on you can even play pc engine games on the tg16 with a simple adapter that shuffle the pins to match tg16 cart pin out

msx1 wasnt capable of hardware scrolling which the famicom had.
pcengine/turbografx (same hardware/chipset different layout) had lot of limitation in the graphic/sound department and that's why it barely made it past 1993.

No, no, they were completely different systems with completely different hardware and if you say otherwise he's going to have another two post long autistic meltdown about it, complete with randomly capitalized words for emphasis and tons more "muh Japan is literally perfection" fanboy tripe.

The fact that it's funded buy indiegogo tells that's it's not a serious project and they don't have the money to launch a proper console.

>
>The fact that it's funded buy indiegogo tells that's it's not a serious project and they don't have the money to launch a proper console.

Like the GPD Win?

>Zen+ APU
Well, a debut of new technology would be nice selling point.

GPD pocket shits on GPD win professional polish-wise, not ideal for gaming though.

You know Atari just licenses out their name to whoever wants it these days, right?