/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch Essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Want to ask advice on what watch to buy? Fill in these questions:

>Budget:
>Style(Diver, dress, sports, etc):
>Movement:
>Dial color:
>Complications(Chronograph, timer, alarm, date, etc):

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdM6Ey6Szwc
ebay.com/p/Seiko-Mechanical-SARB035-Wrist-Watch-for-Men/144186715
youtube.com/watch?v=nAk0tFIifOU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for cheap fun Casios.

that is painted plastic case right?
>into the trash

careful that is the Canadian hes going to imply you are this mass shitposter that makes anti seiko posts and begin a thread long autistic argument with you(and 15 other people).

I'm not totally sold on this format for buying recommendations. "movement"? How about something like
> Budget
> Style (dressy, casual/everyday, diver, some other specific thing)
> Wrist circumference in inches, or case diameter range and lug to lug range in mm you're looking for if you know
> Mechanical, analog quartz, digital quartz
> Functional restrictions (water resistance level, date function, chronograph, power reserve, etc)
> Aesthetic restrictions (dial color, case metal, lume, numerals/indices style, exhibition caseback, etc)
> open to vintage? (Requires significant research to avoid scams, may require expensive service/repairs up front, but deals and tasteful pieces abound)

I may have a slight obsession with cheap Casio digitals.

that watch is dope as fuck

Next OPs call.
This might be too extensive for normies.

find me a poster here that is not autistic and is a normie? I am fucking autistic.

You make a fair point my good sir.

Maybe the movement types should go like this:
Mechanical, automatic, analog quartz, digital quartz.

Then it's perfect.

> Mechanical
> Automatic

Generally hand wounds are called mechanicals.

i like hand wound better

I don’t know if anyone still cares about the Hirsch autism from yesterday but this is what they said back to me.

>Hirsch watch straps consist of two or three layers depending on the strap model.

Hirsch Mariner consist of three. The upper layer is made of saddle leather coated with wax. The middle part is the padding and the third layer is made of Hirsch Diving Glove lining leather.

Hirsch Ranger has got two layers as the strap has no padding. The top layer is made of calfskin with a genuinely textured surface and the second layer is made of Hirsch Softglove lining leather.

Hirsch stands for high quality and their straps come with a 12 month warranty.

That is so weird i really though it was the other way around

It's a sub $30 USD Casio, so I'm not sure what you're expecting. I already have a steel cased, solid link solid end-link LCD quartz watch. I bought the AE1200 for fun because I like how it looks and it's super comfortable on the wrist.

Sell me that watch maplebro

Because I'm fat most of the cheap Casios look terrible on me. The larger proportions on the AE1200 make it much more wearable for me.

>I'm not sure what you're expecting.
>Casios used to have steel cases for the same price

Can you please just look at the flaps of front-side leather that wrap onto the back of the strap and get it through your head that all the leather on the front of the strap must be the same thickness as that flap (i.e. paper thin)? It's simply not possible that the strap is constructed in two layers because the flaps from the front wrapping over onto the back would have to double the thickness of the strap in those areas for that to be the case.

The ranger is one piece of leather with a soft driving glove leather stitched on the back

Can you please just look at the pictures I'm posting? You can see clearly in this picture the rounding of the edges of the front side that clearly indicate thin layer stretched over padding. There is no true side edge on this strap.

Leather itself has different layers and can be pressed, so it absolutely can get thinner near the flap.
The straps are Chinese genuine garbage, but I don't know what you're getting at.

Look at the hole for the springbar on this picture and see how things the leather gets around the hole. That clearly shows that the Ranger is made by using a thin layer of leather for the front, glove leather for the back, and padding inside.

See how different that looks to a properly made minimal stitch strap which uses a single piece of leather folded over? The edges look totally different, and the springbar hole looks totally different.

>er that wrap onto the back of the strap
you have clearly never worked with leather. You can skive or shave leather down to that thinness

check this video out and watch him make this belt.

youtube.com/watch?v=tdM6Ey6Szwc

Then how do you explain the thickness of the layers exposed in those holes?

Ah yes, Hirsch is definitely shaving down the leather at the ends for each of these straps that they make, because that would totally be conducive to maximizing their profits, right?

You can literally see the rounding around the holes from the leather stretching over the padding down to where it has been fused to the back layer, meanwhile on the Watch Gecko straos the holes are perfectly cylindrical with no flaring on the edges.

When resizing a stainless band, removing links, is one side supposed to be longer/shorter or should they be equal?
Like number of links on each side of the clasp.

I've been resizing shit for years, but hell, I just realized I might be doing shit wrong.

Bruh, do it in a way that when the clasp is closed it is parallel to the watch back itself, that's how I do it and it is the confiest way.

What do you guys think of this watch?

Really nice for an invicta.

It's not an Invicta

Seriously though, any complaints or is it an acceptable, cheap beater? Cost about $300 total

Forgot pic ecksDee

It is a fucking invicta bro, I know your tricks.

It is very acceptable, I dislike the date magnifier though.

What tricks? ;^}

Yeah I wanted to go nodate but couldn't find the dial I liked for it. Going to build another one and will do sapphire swap for nodate I think. Also blue dial/cermaic bezel.

It's really a Seiko honestly. For the 8926OB or whatever the heck it's called they outsource all the parts, including the case. They just put it together, only thing they make are the dial/hands/caseback and engrave their shit everywhere

which seiko is this, there are numerous offering online, i wannna buy one under 100$ - i work on CNC and i need something to measure time before i have to run back to my machine, so i can slack productively

thhere isnmore, this one is from 1970, i like the style

or thos here

Are you having a stroke user?

Anyways Google Seiko 5 finder and pick your favorite

Hirsch LITERALLY responded in an email stating it was a single piece of leather with no padding. You are so fucking autistic.

>Believing (((Hirsch))) over your own lying eyes

You should buy one and then take it apart to demonstrate.

What orient model is this?

Are there any (good) 38mm divers that aren't the SKX? I'm a wristlet and need something for casual wear.

nice

(You)

Chr Ward

Tristar

>$300

C60 Trident

I bought one, we will see.

Where is the absolute cheapest place to get a SARB035?

I can tolerate a misaligned bezel on a $180 skx, but on something like that I find it unacceptable. The dial is gorgeous though.

Nice.

ebay.com/p/Seiko-Mechanical-SARB035-Wrist-Watch-for-Men/144186715

I posted a little while ago asking if the SKX was a good diver to get my dad for his 50th ( I am a student, no money, dont get on me about it being a shitty present). He really liked the SKX. How does the finishing compare on a Ray or Mako 2? I think they're the much smarter choice and he has the wrist size to pull them off. Are they a better bet?

I actually watched the Archie livestream replay last night and I kekked at how you trolled him for the most part

Context?

SKX013

youtube.com/watch?v=nAk0tFIifOU

V O S T O K

Someone in the last thread said g shock isn't durable anymore. I ask for proofs and watches that are better now.

thats fucking retarded even the shitty wr casio calculator watches can pretty much withstand anything.

Time?

Holy shit how often does he stream?

not often enough

>people unironically enjoy the watch community equivalent of Trump

I asked a watch shop guy this question yesterday.

He says it's supposed to be shorter on one side. When you hold watch by the back of the case with two fingers the bracelet buckle should be centered and opposite of the case.

you don't? you wouldn't happen to be a Canadian with a cuck school teacher president would you?

He's what happens when you let an alcoholic bogan get money, and it's fucking great. He's totally off his shit, and is probably going to end up bankrupting himself within 5 years, but fuck me he's great to watch.

Not exactly in the skx price range, but 39mm.

holy fuck imagine the uploads while hes getting evicted.

What is this?

sla017

You guys are the true gentlemanry because you wear a $100 Seiko watch

Truly original post

I need help my friends.
>budget: 99-1999 usd
>style: something like the sinn 556, hamilton khaki or the glycine combat 7
>movement: yes
>dial colour: black
>complications: date at 3, optional day-date at 3
>other things haves: display back, double AR coating, orange second hand, lot of good lume or tritium

tl:dr: Watches like pic related

The watch you posted is within your budget

As someone who owns that watch, get it on the bracelet. I have the leather and bracelet. Much better on the H link

Yes and no. The watch on picture doesn't exist. Only with red hands and it's hard to find too. The whole point is that I am looking for alternatives.

I was planing to get the bracelet if I buy the 556. Not even that expensive and looks proper quality too.

I was protesting against what my friend pointed out in Consider it a meme from now on.

>The watch on picture doesn't exist.
Am I missing something? I am wearing it.

hows that cubicle treating you?

It was pretty good while it lasted. My college does a co-op program so I made some pretty decent cash for the 8 months I was there and earned school credits.

Whats your job user?

The hands are red and are actually red, not photoshopped orange like on the picture.
And the one you are wearing is hard enough to buy, it could be considered non-existent.

>le blumpf boogey man

stop being such an uptight cunt.

Are you serious? I literally bought this watch for retail off watchbuys in january cause I liked the design. I had no idea it was hard to find now.

sucking dick

that is cut beveled and burnished you can even see the layer leading to the liner in the hole.

It's listed as available on page&cooper user.

You're right, leather looks like shit.

I was watching ebay for that for like the last 100 days.
Only one was sold on it. Ever.
Wow, nice find, thank you.

But still, I would prefer something with orange hands.

looking for something new, im in the military so "faddish" is not allowed.

I have an snzg13 on a leather band and would like something on a steel bracelet. I really like the simplicity of the snzg13. Whats out there simple like the snzg for under 300?

>Whats out there simple like the snzg for under 300?
A metal bracelet for your SNZG13.