Does python have a future?

Hey Sup Forums, I've always been interested in programming so recently I've studied Python for a month or two. I've gotten decent at it so far and even went as far as to create a website in Flask.

I'm 18 and thinking about heading off to college soon, would it be wise to learn more Python?

If you are heading into enterprise development it would be wiser to learn something more conservative and that has more job offers, i.e. java/c#
Python is pretty awesome in personal projects, IoT, scripting routine tasks. Learn it for yourself if you want to.

python ist krieg

Yes. I use it every day pretty much. Literally our entire department has standardized on Python & Go for internal tooling, our internal APIs for a myriad of things, and for automating tasks.

>Python wants to be like Javascript

>I'm 18 and thinking about heading off to college soon, would it be wise to learn more Python?
Yes. It's an important language. It's not the end-all be-all of programming languages, but nothing is.

>IoT
Kys

I work for a fortune 100 co and all internal tooling/systems is going Go/Python

Python's cool but a lot of python programmers tend to be in less CS related fields. It's not a bad language at all but it is a common introductory/educational type language. No reason not to know it but it really depends on what you're after.

It also extends a ton of other tools which aren't written in python themselves.

Yeah its internal tools/platforms, not phd level math but some very large/complex programs. You dont need the math but your cs fundamentals have to up to par

Are those cyclic dips literally from interns going to school?

I guess, question views is SO metrics? Sounds like java interns doing 100% of all java jobs in english.

Python isn't suited for big stuff out of the box: The major implementation sucks and the language itself wasn't suited for "great things". It's good for scientific stuff only because dozens of wrappers around well known libraries and used on web because Django. For more serious stuff, i would recommend C# or Java... or even PHP because its mainstream and well documented.

For other stuff, its a toy language.

>C#
Only people who use that are gaymer kids.

Those are some silly recommendations, really the more "serious" your projects get the more you go for a domain-focused language or hardcore C/C++/Dlang/etc lower level stuff. You don't aim for the middle. PHP was never a viable option anywhere.

XNA's dead anyway.

My roommate does Python for a living, among other languages. By far his favorite and the most versatile for his usecases.

My job has nothing to do with vidya and I use C#. It's all about that .NET framework

Yes, I know Python and I've worked with it in natural language processing, machine learning, information security, and some other research. I've also done a ton of side projects in it. Python is currently very popular and will likely stay that way for the near future. That said, after nearly a decade of using it, I fucking hate it, and you'll have to learn multiple languages anyway.

I'd say yea, Python is a growing language thanks to its ease and reliability, along with it being very flexible, more or less it depends on what you are actually aspiring to be in a IT role, i'd say Python is essential, others are specialized.

Python has the sort of market share and userbase that will keep it going for a long time.

It's good to be fluent in at least one high-level language so that you can quickly put things together for Hackathons, Github projects, etc. Python is one of the best for this, since it has a decent REPL and can glue just about anything together. Clunky enterprise languages fail here, and other languages with fast development times like Lisps and MLs probably won't serve you as well as Python in searching for a job.

So I would recommend doubling-down on Python, and going for depth of knowledge instead of breadth.

I have to use it now because the open source project that we use is full of bugs..

scaling is another story i expect it to blow up the servers

I work for the 4th largest software company there is, we use a ton of Python on the systems side. Google uses a ton of Python as well. Java is definitely valuable, but Python skills are universal.

Op keep learning Python, you'll do just fine.

It's pretty great for people on the infrastructure side of IT. I write scripts in Python or Powershell all the time to automate processes and do my job more efficiently.

I work for Google and we use a ton of Python 2.7. Third most popular language behind Java and C++ (latter is first place). Nobody uses Python 3 though.

No wonder Google is so shitty nowadays.

Python is so much rewarding. I remember when I switched from C# i was totally amazed how short my code could be

My only issue with Python is how shitty its implementation of is. Other than that it is pretty fun.

Learn some C if you plan on doing any scientific computing.

While numpy is very good, nothing beats compiled code optimized for your application if you have to do some serious number crunching, and python interfaces very cleanly with C by way of Ctypes or Cython.

My only issue with Python is how shitty its implementation of OOP is. Other than that it is pretty fun.