I still can't believe Shuttleturd is discontinuing Unity. Ubuntu was the only acceptable looking distro...

I still can't believe Shuttleturd is discontinuing Unity. Ubuntu was the only acceptable looking distro. Are there any alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ikeydoherty
github.com/yunit-io/yunit
reddit.com/r/Yunit/
artemis-project.github.io/about/
news.softpedia.com/news/canonical-makes-it-easy-to-install-unity7-on-ubuntu-17-10-gnome-remains-default-516638.shtml
artemis-project.github.io/insights/design/a-new-site/
github.com/korolr/enjade-pure
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you even fucking tried the new interface? It works a lot like unity

But it's gnome and gnome is shit

unity is GNOME

>unity is alive and well
>Sup Forums hates it because it's a shitty gnome, and Sup Forums likes gnome
>unity is dying, everybody likes it and hates gnome

I could actually see gnome being very good on some kind of 2in1 tablet/laptop thing. The interface looks very usable for touch. For regular laptop/desktop though, it's shit

Just keep using unity you ACTUAL RETARD

Sup Forums used to like gnome? wow i missed out.

gnome was always shit

Unity just came out and everyone was going back to gnome 2.x

Unity is GNOME too, idiot. And yes, GNOME is shit. Which is why Xubuntu and Kubuntu are the only good buntus.

I always liked unity.

oh. now that sounds more realistic

Budgie master race reporting in

unity was turrubul, glad it's dead

1) ikey is a fag 2) it smells like pantheon 3) it wishes it was cinnamon

Unity was okay on its original release platform: screen-space constrained netbooks. Then they went on the flat design train like every other talentless hack and we were stuck with it on 1080P+ displays for years.

>GNOME devs are here to shill shit
fuck off.
Unity used the good bits of GTK3 and threw away the turd (70% of it)

4) ikey is a fag

ikey?

>flat design
Do you even know what you're talking about?

>everyone on Sup Forums is the same person
The GNOME2 guys went on to use MATE.
Unity itself has also been forked (twice, one for continued Unity 8 development and one for continued Unity 7.x)
Unity will continue to live on, probably in a better way now since it won't have some craptastic phone and tabet aspirations.

What does Ubuntu look like now without unity?

>Unity was okay on its original release platform: screen-space constrained netbooks.

>Canonical developed a DE for meme hardware that went out of style like all fads.

What complete morons.

>ikey
github.com/ikeydoherty

What I meant to say is, how do the sexual preferences of the guy writing a UI translate to the UI?

Aka BLOATGNOME, and GNOME is already bloat.

daily reminder that GNOME is the only usable DE that doesn't break all the time

They're projecting their mediocrity.

XFCE is way more stable than GNOME.

It felt very unresponsive in the application drawer on touch.

>GTK
>good
Pick
One

>people complain when Ubuntu switched to Unity
>people complain when they decided to switch back to Gnome

>no global menu
Into the trash

>those people are the same people

Looks promising, but as it is now, it needs some work

forgot to take my trip off, oops

Everything is shit to you, though.

>flat design
what
where
there's gradients and shading and it all looks pretty 3d to me.

whatre the name of those info dials i want em

don't worry senpai, NEET weebs like me are going to maintain debian packages repo for 17.10 compatibility while retaining custom GTK/GNOME patches that Canonical worked hard for years to achieve seamless experience: Global Menu + Dash/HUD + Unity7/compiz -- literally master race and here to stay.

did they finally fix the black screen bug?

It's absolute shit on touch screens. Most of UI elements are just not designed for it and are too small. Ironically even windows 8 manages to be more usable.

Unity 7 is supported until 2020.

I use it fine on mine, but not for touch exclusively.

Frankly, I'm on the stable version so I still have unity at the moment but I will switch to KDE.

>there will always be bitches that bitch

Do what I always do and move on with your life.

Bună, Andrei! Mă gândeam la acelasi lucru, cred c-o sa trec la KDE. E diferit, dar pastreaza elementul usurintei de utilizare in timp ce arata bine si poate fi configurat printr-o interfata grafică.

>only acceptable looking distro
Generic late noughties interface.

Unity 8 is now Yunit and you can install it on Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Maybe there will be a Ybuntu distro soon.

reddit.com/r/Yunit/

Something like this. If OP had bothered to post an article it's gnome.

Yes, and it is mantained by literal kids and manchildren who did nothing but repackage it.
Pretty disappointed desu.

>mimimimimi

ikey being a fag has nothing to do with sexual orientation, i don't think he's gay, he might be, but he's definitely a fag

it's dead yim, morons putting it on the github hoping some real devs will come along to keep it alive isn't going to work

>Sup Forums likes gnome
haha no

Sup Forums liked gnome back in 2007, which was 10 years ago

>Ubuntu was the only acceptable looking distro
Unity was solid, but it simply couldn't compete with good DEs as for customization options.
> Are there any alternatives?
Yes, Xubuntu. It's not connected to Canonical, it's gorgeous, it's simple and it can be easily configured in any way you like.

I bit the bullet and moved to Budgie. I'm still missing the global menu, but now that so many are going to be moving away from Ubuntu I wouldn't be surprised if Budgie ends up with a lot of users investing time in perfecting a global menu extension

Yeah i agree, never gonna happen. Unity is fucked from a conceptual standpoint because it's a Gnome fork that modified all the original libs. It's not platform agnostic and making it so would effectively just mean creating a new DE from scratch.

delet

delet

Solus > Ubuntu Budgie

Quite a bit lighter than GNOME
And it will switch to Qt soon

>unity

considera funia

>color scheme: orange, purple, brownish-grey
>acceptable

*funera

>everyone hates it when it's alive
>everyone likes it when it's dead
that is usually always what it happens

>GNOME

>doesn't break all the time

Try again.

funia*

It'll never be as good as this again

Isn't there already a fork of unity?

Unity8 isn't GNOME fork though. It was made from scratch using Qt. It failed because they decided to roll their own display server protocol, make it depend on upstart and because Launchpad isn't where cool kids hang out anymore. Unity7 is and it has been forked to another project, with name I cannot remember, who are going to maintain it alongside Compiz. Both will fail though because no one besides the ones that made the forks really cares..

I, too, miss the inferior Windows 95 clone

you must be one of those new code artisans

Daily reminder that to this day, Unity is still the only DE that has these two killer features.

>good bits of GTK

This I think: artemis-project.github.io/about/

>panel on top for no reason
>doesn't actually contain menu for in-focus app

>it's just windows 95 with an extra panel for no reason with smoother and less defined widgets

>hurr muh code artisan memes
it was trash

Ubuntu keeps mantaining Unity7 packages

news.softpedia.com/news/canonical-makes-it-easy-to-install-unity7-on-ubuntu-17-10-gnome-remains-default-516638.shtml

Besides supreme macOS' Aqua you mean.

Unity was pure garbage and a sick experiment at best. Discontinuing it was the best thing that ever happened to it.

>shitty mismatched colors and half assed UI's are better
i guess taste is something special to people born before 2000

samefagging autist

>And it will switch to Qt soon
Yeah, cause it is easy switching to another toolkit. That is why LXQt is in development 4 years and still nowhere close to LXDE. Actually making a DE and restyling another are different things.

>>shitty mismatched colors and half assed UI's are better
i didn't say that
stop arguing with yourself fucking retard

>unity7 forked to another project
>but it's a unity8 clone based on Qt on top of Wayland
>written in Swift and D
>no code anywhere
Uh ok

I hope this will spawn a unity flavour ubuntu distro that will be kept mantained

Macs have locally integrated menus (not a global menu) and a HUD (not a program search)?

This isn't what they said initially though. See artemis-project.github.io/insights/design/a-new-site/ . One of the devs had actually uploaded Unity7 code: github.com/korolr/enjade-pure .

Last time I used Unity (few years ago) windows had a global menu. I didn't know they had changed that. And there isn't an HUD per se but a a menu search performing what the screenshot shows.

>stop arguing with yourself fucking retard
>being this triggered
i guess emotional self control is also a thing special to people born before 2000. go get some medication from a psych.

>Macs have locally integrated menus
nope, global menu for every application (unity copied that from them)
>and a HUD (not a program search)
spotlight + launchpad

what's wrong with KDE?

Wut? that was my first post. Sounds like someone can't deal with reality.

For starters, favors blue over orange.

test

>this is when I first tried linux

Can you search application menus on Macs then? Like the screenshot shows, typing "blu" to find the "gaussian blur" menu item in the current program (an image editor)?

>put taskbar on the bottom
>glitches out all the time
>customization is limited
Eh.