Over-population of the Tech Industry

Sup Forums do you ever feel like the "Tech industry" is becoming too popular? Or that programming is becoming the new entry level "Go-to" for fucks with no ambition?

>TL:DR

I work for a big company, we're doing re-design, need code monkeys. I can literally pick the most qualified people and we pay them a fraction of what we should. We have no fears of them leaving because the market is so over-saturated we can hire again within the week. Management has accepted the cost of re-training them rather than paying them the salary they deserve.

>------------

I'm the project lead and Senior Engineer for a large company. We make planes. For the past two years we've been working and developing standardizing some things and re-fitting our databases. We plan to upgrade 30% of our programs and systems, re-design some code from the ground up and upgrade most of our standard HW equipment.

My specific job is to help re-design and manage the way we collect data across sets assembled from multiple types of sensors, pattern recognition in high volumes of sparsely sampled data, and near-real time and predictive analytic data. (Basically flight control systems)

The short an sweet of it is this; I need code monkeys we can seat to help develop this. I've been receiving applicants steadily, actually alarmingly. It turns out that the Head Hunter the company hired was not actually needed, because of the quantity of applicants we are getting. Currently, we have been overloaded with applicants alone for positions which requires MATLAB. Not to mention basic shit like C, C++, Python and R.

Half of the applicants can't even formulate a simple algorithm, but that's just half. Most are competent enough for the lower positions, and we've decidedly made the choice to hire only the top %15 of candidates, some of which surpass myself and my colleagues. I personally hired a grad from MIT, who interned and worked with Jet Propulsion labs for over two years. He's now working with us for 80k a year.

No

of course. it all happened before during industrialization..
>companies need cheap labor
>they create schools and teach kids how to be good employees

..today companies need cheap programmers
>they create campaigns to get women/normalfags into programming

>PhD + 3 postdocs
>6 papers

Jesus that's an awful ratio.

This is intentional. Businesses hate few things more than they hate having to pay good wages. So, one of the best ways to force down wages is to increase the supply of people with a skill hence why you see all the "GIRLS SHOULD CODE" shit.

>Tfw fell for the programming meme.
>Can only land sys administration jobs or front end Web dev.
>Just want to make embedded systems

Not really, just because you live in some backwater place that can get away with this.

Here in NYC, people can't seem to get enough engineers. Almost every single mid-level engineer starts at around 130k here and all of our senior ones are at 200k+

The problem is many people get these degrees and instead of taking a chance and looking for jobs in other countries as well as the one they're in, they end up saturating the market they have and not even getting any job.

so how much time you think you have before they do it to you?

Do you happens to hire from east eu?

It's disgusting that Sup Forums only cares about securing a job and becoming a wagecuck. Have some ambition you fags!

I'm all too aware. My company has funding for groups, and even regularly trains some of our lowest end IT staff in Code Bootcamps to bolster the cheap labor internally, promoting it as "Career growth"

I've been almost put on suspension because I personally interjected and refused to host h1b visa's pajeet's. Only 1 applicant was competent of the 60 + I had to literally file a report on for rejecting.

>Backwater.
Planemakerincorperated needs talented Engineers, and they really do seek them out. But it's all internal.

I'm not sorry to say that I've nested myself deep enough I probably would be retired before I'm just replaced. I often go out with Senior level management and not ashamed to say kiss my fair share of ass. Actually met my wife here, she's the niece of a board member.

All the lucrative career paths are saturated with applicants. Tech is nothing special in that regard. You filthy jewcorp underpaying qualified employees and the latter being too autistic to negotiate a salary is not indicative of the entire industry. Though kudos for actually getting away with this in a dead end industry.

threads like this honestly do make suicide look more appealing by the day
is that what you were going for, OP? it's working.

Reminder that helium is a painless method of suicide.

>t. Some NEET

It's not. I feel for you just as I do for all these poor souls looking to make it. Alot of real talent is pissed away because they will never get a real chance to shine in the mire of mediocrity.

Lucrative industries will always attract nobodies and you shouldn't care because normalfags and feminazis rarely get into the power levels required to be worth more than a fuck.

nitrogen is cheaper and more readily available

Work as web dev and make a backend framework in web assembly

currently waiting for the market to correct itself and for the rent/housing price in the Bay Area to plummet to pre-tech meme levels. Shit even Oakland is getting expensive as fuck.
t.commiefornian but not in tech

>6 papers
LOL. Starve you pleb.

Underrated post.

it's just the tip of the iceberg. back in the 90s it was normal for kids to get summer jobs at fast food. nowadays they're completely displaced by mexicans who NEED the 10 dollars an hour to feed their families.

I dread the day when we're so overpopulated / replaced by machines that this will happen:
> candidate 1: I'll work 12 hours for $6 an hour
> candidate 2: I'll work 14 hours for $4 an hour

>create campaigns to get women/normalfags into programming
You are an insecure idiot if you see them as a competition for those who love computer related technology.

Yeah, but helium is more fun.

Depends on your field actually. This guy would be doing great if he were in high energy particle physics

If you pick a redundant field
>tfw government started pushing for infosec jobs due to massive shortage
>created a whole new army vocation for infosec
>political and military reasons for building a strong infosec industry
>tfw in InfoSec course
Can't say about the wages yet but there's plenty of job openings

PhD student in HEP. If you only count papers I
m writing myself, not including the thesis, I'm about to publish my 2nd. If you count everything I'm listed as an author on, because of contributions to the experiment (just not the text of the paper itself), it's literally hundreds. HEP is weird.

>Be NEET
>apply to fast food and hotels
>calls within a week
What the fuck are you talking about?

it's the new go to career for the lazy and immigrants. more people are being pushed into it so that wages fall down in line with all the other useless office fodder that works for pennies.

that might be true in a major city, where i live you can't even get a typical mcjob without nepotism or working for less than min wage under the table.

Fuck you and fuck Boeing OP. I was turned down for a Linux sysadmin job because I "didn't demonstrate the skills required for the role".

I was never told the skills required because I don't have a high enough security clearance to be told. How the fuck was I expected to win?

On the flip side.

I worked contract to contract for three years, beefed up my resume, piled on the experience and then landed a good job. While I was worried about getting laid off and never having insurance I was never really that worried about the next job.

Confirmed. Here in an English town you can only get a McDonalds job by having someone who already works there recommend you to the branch manager.

When you finish high school you will understand.