$700-$1000 Phones?

List your reasons, besides camera quality (see: real cameras), to have a $700-$1000 phone. And don't give a list of things a 2017 $100 phone can do. You could say this interrogation is pretty Jewish, but Jews have better lives from a material standpoint, last I checked.

Other urls found in this thread:

androidheadlines.com/2017/09/report-lg-v30s-screen-exhibiting-color-imbalance-issues.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm really interested in this too, because I've fallen for a lot of relatively expensive Sup Forums memes like audiophile headphones and mech keyboard, but I really can not see the point of owning an extremely expensive phone.

It doesn't have the form factor to allow me to do any sort of work in any comfortable manner, it doesn't consume media as well as a tablet, the only things I use my phone for (Galaxy S4) are browsing the internet (mostly Sup Forums), watching YouTube, listening to music and of course sending messages/calls.
Do I really need a 1000€ phone to do that stuff? For 1000€ I upgraded my computer substantially, and with a very felt difference in work productivity and gaming performance.

It just... doesn't seem worth it?

it's my supreme desire to be cucked, thats why. nothing says 'i suck dick' like buying the latest $1000 gadgets and showing them off like the obedient serf i am.

Trying to find excuses for being a poor fag that can't afford 1000$ phone?

You don't get rich by wasting thousands of dollars on useless gadgets.

I never owned anything worth more than $300, but I'll try
Big standout features (like S-Pen or Edge screen)
Better community and app developer support
Physical appeal
Status symbol (showing off to friends and shit like that)

My phones are subsidized, i don't give a shit how much they cost.

>living off of subsidies

trump told you to kys, what are you waiting for

If you need to give even a single thought about wasting thousands of dollars on useless gadgets then you're a poor fag.

company phone is the only reason really

>meme purchases
There's no reason to devalue the devices. This thread is just challenging whether or not expensive phones are as essential as people with money to spend in better areas will pretend.

You don't get rich by keeping your money under the mattress as well, though I agree, bought myself S6 for 150$

OP here, stop feeding this underage troll.

Its for people who regularly go outside (people commutes to work, travel work, etc), and phones became their companion. Usually when you have a decent job, $1000 a year isnt even a problem and usually phones like this are subsidized by their employer.

Sup Forums cannot fathom the idea because they are jobless, basement dwelling, self entitled, Sup Forums browsing jerks. Sup Forums can justify buying a 1pc $400 artisan edgelord keycap yet they cannot justify why "normies" find pleasure on buying someting expensive for themselves.

>form factor
That's actually a big selling point for the more expensive phones. The more expensive builds have more compact internals so they can build a case that is very nice in the hand.

You think normies all have rich daddies and/or are taking the train to their well-paying, metropolitan jobs?

A 1000$ phone is not an investment.

Nah, having money does not mean spending it.

it's hard to get a phone with a Snapdragon 835 and 1440p/4k screen out of that price range, so here's just the start
>Onboard AI/Machine learning
>2013 laptop-level gaming & emulation, up to PS2/GC generation
>Smooth VR with Daydream, Gear VR, RiftCat, etc
>Gigabit mobile connection for streaming 4k animu and/or pr0n, including to another device via Cast or USB Type C
>Use dual camera meme for bokeh/faux 3D, but have actually good photos in the process
>Set dun in APN to share unlimited(kinda) gigabit with your laptop to actually get work done (I'm a writer for an Android site, use about 1-2GB per day working, and I'm on T-Mobile, which has a 50GB deprioritization cap)
>Run virtual Linux deployment with a USB Type-C dongle and keyboard,mouse,screen, etc to get work done when you can't tether anymore or your laptop isn't around, as long as what you use is ARM-compatible
>Use as development machine for Android with peak performance to test heavy applications
>Mine crypto (If you really want to, but it's a fucking waste)

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of. Normies shouldn't need anything more than a Snapdragon 820 unless they absolutely must play PS2 games natively on their phone, or absolutely must shoot 16MP bokeh panoramas.

Getting official support, updates and security patches for 5 years.

Probably because they've replaced the social interactions you're under the illusion of them still having. They buy them entirely because they think the other goys will think less of them if they don't get it. It's an embarrassing keeping up with the Joneses meme that goys fall for every time and you should know because you're quite obviously one of them.
Goys need portable telephones as much as children need the internet. Use as many mental gymnastics as you like they don't compare to actual facts.

>phones became their companion

What a thoroughly sad existence. And I say this as a wizard who isn't even 100% sure that natural light exists.

>Rich daddy
Do you even understand what a decent job is? I feel your regret not having one user, but if you work smart, rich papi wouldn't even needed just to buy a highend phone

> Train to high paying job
Of course they do. Do you even tried living in a city or beside a business district. This statement alone shows that you dont have a slightest idea what working is.

Bro, what's a oneplus 5?

>Japanese carriers subsidize smartphones

How is this related to Trump you underage pol posting moron.

>it's a basement dweller offers an opinion on the outside world
It's as relevant as Kim Kardashian's views on the state of plasma physics research. Return to /r/pol and stay there.

As the friendly neighborhood Jew, I usually advise people to make purchases reasonably. Don't buy stuff you don't need for an unreasonable price. We are at a day and age where getting an optimal experience doesn't require a top-of-the-line phone, and it doesn't require an expensive brand. Chinkphones are a good option and besides seeing some visual layout bugs in chinkphones' Hebrew interface, I don't see any problems with them.
If you're suspicious of chinkphones and are intent on getting a known brand's known device, wait until the price drops. Get the flagship from a year or two ago. The phone should still be competent and completely functional today. I, for one, got myself an LG G3 (32gb model) around the time the G4 came out, at the price of 2000 shekels. It was over 3000 shekels at launch. It still works great.
And don't buy a new device if your current one works. Phone are expensive, you don't need to make it a habit to get a new one every year, or every any period of time. If it works - don't fix it. I had a Galaxy Nexus before that. I told myself I wouldn't buy a new phone before my current one becomes unusable. The screen cracked, the phone slowed and CM's updates seemed more and more risky to install. I still didn't start looking for a replacement until the USB port stopped responding to cables.

So space your purchases, get cheap stuff for cheap, or expensive stuff for cheap, and don't waste money.

Yeah. I live in a metro area and I take the bus. I see a bunch of people feeding their kids frozen meemees while they swipe their high-end phones. Granted, $1000 is only going to supplement the child's nutrition for about a year.

>but poor people and lazy people
Whatever man. You know there are plenty of blue collar, minimally trained white normies with bills to pay and mouths to feed. You're the one who needs to get out more, clearly. Sup Forums would try to make this racial, accusing me of being Latin? Shame.

You haven't even listed any qualities about a $700-$1000 phone that makes it desirable, you know, the thread topic?

a wizard and a social interactions expert at the same time, just wow!

lol, most blue collar jobs pays a lot higher than cubicle keyboard bashing drones.. well at least on first world countries, you live on a first world country right?

Ok I agree. Spending 1000$ on a phone even for rich people is plain stupid

Midrange phones have the most consistent level of usefulness over time, last I checked. Getting a One Plus, HTC, or Motorola phone every two years > getting an iPhone or Galaxy every five years.

>Flagship SoC
>Top-tier camera
>Top build quality
>NFC
>Fingerprint scanner
>Lots of RAM + fast storage
>Does not skimp out on sensors, modems or microphones
>At least 1440p display
>2:1 ratio for easier multitasking

Tell me the cheapest phone that meets 100% of this criteria

Like I said, you're here to boast an air of superiority rather than discuss technology.

Midrange phones have the most consistent level of usefulness over time, last I checked. Getting a One Plus, HTC, or Motorola phone every two years > getting an iPhone or Galaxy every five years. That's just my advice.

I don't buy flagships because I want to spend more money. I buy flagship because they're the best. The price is just the amount you gotta pay to play. It fucking sucks but it is what it is.

the best 4 wat?

Best at filtering out pajeets

I get whats the user wanted to point out:

Sup Forums im spending most of my time on computer and i got some monies to burn
> hey buy a 144hz monitor, and a spare 1080p 10bit monitor for browsing memes. Its worth it since you spend all your time in front of the screen.

Sup Forums i love music, and i have this rich daddy
> then why not buy this bang for the buck $500 headphone and this $500 DAC. Its worth it user since you spend all your time listening to music.

Sup Forums I love coding any hardware recommendations
> of course buy this $300 mechanical keyboards, tear it apart, put this $500 artisan keycaps. Also buy a spare one in case you want some CLICK CLACK from time to time.

Sup Forums i spend most of my time on my phone since i travel a lot, is note8 good?
>WOAH WOAH WOAH! Sup Forums does not approve! why buy something that makes you happy with your own money!

>consistent level of usefulness
>making up nonsensical bullshit just to continue being autistically contrarian
Please, stop.

>best screen
>"good camera"
>latest SoC

Cut these requirements and the answer is $250.

I grew out of expensive phones having smashed or lost a couple overpriced toys i discovered the joy of chinkphones

even in 250 dollaridoos smartphones cameras are good.

If "level of usefulness" is too advanced a concept for you, then what can I say?

>cut out these most expensive parts of the smartphone and you'll get something cheaper

Wow really

Are you incapable of reading? I don't give a fuck about your "almost" answer. It's as good as "well I ALMOST lost my virginity", ie a completely worthless post, just like the rest of this thread full of anons who are such failures they have deluded themselves into automatically compromising because they've never achieved 100% success at anything in their shitty lives

camera quality
smoothness inside and out
good display

i.e. iPhone
although my 4s fits the bill

Flagship and midrange smartphone cameras are different levels of eh, but basically you're on point.

The thing is no one forces you to buy phone yearly.

flagship mean some assurance that even after 5 years it still works great while still not having poverty tier experience.

buying $1000 phone every 5 years after your old phone dies is completely reasonable.

buying $1000 phone everytime a new one is release is just plain stupid.

>bickering
>weird egoism

Okay. I'm sold. Give me the $1000 device instead of the $250 one.

Status Symbol
Ego

Posted with my Note4

Apparently

This thread wasn't even about that, but you're absolutely right. A significant portion of the population buys a $700 (maybe now $1000) iPhone every year!

>mfw people buy shitty chink phones and delude themselves into thinking it's just as good as what normal human beings buy

Protip: Its all Chink phone. You just paid $800 extra for "Designed in US" engraving

>Simpsonsposter hasn't heard of midrange smartphones yet
Shop til you drop. (As a figure of speech)

It really depends how you use it
Most of us use a phone for texting and a few other things, a PC for work and stuff, maybe a console for gaming and a Laptop for portable work. Let's say you spend about $1500 on everything.

But most people want to do everything on a phone. They don't just text, they also watch videos, play games, take photos and partially do work on it. They don't buy a new laptop or PC or console at all, in the future maybe just one phone for $1500 which can do everything

>chink phone
Midrange phones are designed in Japan and the US, but yes a chink phone is a valid option for someone low on cash.

Librem 5

Secure
GNU/Linux

> buys $300 chink phone
> breaks after 3 months.
> LOL its ok it just chink phone
> buys $400 chink phone for better quality
> break after 5 months.
> LOL im glad its just a chink phone.
> buys $200 chink phone.
> LOL this is enough said by Sup Forums
> breaks after two months,
> buys another $200 chink phone because why the hell not, its just $200
> ended up spending more than $1000 without realizing while still feeling superior than people who spent $800 on a iPhone

> buys $1000 iPhone X
> put case and screen protector
> Sell it next year for $600
> Buys iPhone XI for $400 + $600 from old phone

That's the gimmick, but you know that the only thing worse than phone cameras is phone games.

$300-$400 phones are designed in the US and Japan, and they certainly don't all break after two months, so basically no.

>it arrives defective with some sort of dust/dead pixel/weird defect
>have to ship it back to China or fight with the seller
>if it does work you have to deal with shitty permanent skins and god knows what background software
>limited few, I assume, if it exists, are good phones with cm/actual custom rom support, but you get shitty battery life in return

my 200 chinkphone has lasted over a year now and was on par with high mid range phones for 1/3 the price

biggest issue I have is the camera sucks ass and installing a custom rom was a pain in the ass

KOTOR on my Note8 gives me a chub. Looks great, plays smoothly, the spen allows for precision targeting enemies for attacking or when looting corpses or looting chests and lockers.

Not worth $930 just for this, but if you use the spen at all regularly the Note series are the only phones you'll care about owning no matter the price. You simply can't get a waccom stylus elsewhere.

The normal people don't care about the quality of their games.
They already grew accustom to free2play cashgrabs, there was a public outrage that Super Mario Run wanted to charge money upfront for the game.
Cameras quality is acceptable, but again, your average consumer probably never bought a $500-1000 camera anyway

>phones breaking in a few months
Have you tried not dropping and/or ricing them?

I bought a blackberry for work and I'm about to buy a new Samsung. Is it too late to buy the s8 or is it outdated?

Since the price went down I would say it's still worth it

it's not outdated, but it's almost October, which means the S9 is due in a few months

wtf 2018 is almost here

Gimmicks like S-Pen, Quad-DAC or modules, screen quality, >VR, all coupled with good performance (if you can debloat the phones) and generally better build quality. The current batch of flagships is very appealing in general, much more so than the previous ones. I can certainly live with my 1+1 until it finally breaks, which it's trying to do for a long time now, but I can afford to pay an extra 200-300$ for gimmicks I want next time I have to buy a phone, be it a Note or a V-series or who knows what.

For some, camera quality is also very important, personally I couldn't care less, I've got a simple mirrorless for my action figures which is better than phones just because of the optics. Even though phones learned to compensate A LOT with software and clever multi-cam trickery, which is amazing.

>but if you use the spen at all regularly the Note series are the only phones you'll care about owning no matter the price. You simply can't get a waccom stylus elsewhere.
Yup, if you want a good stylus in a phone it doesn't matter what the price is or what the competitors phones offer. Unless they've got a waccom stylus I simply don't care. I like the note series and see no reason to leave it now especially not for a phone that doesn't have a stylus. Note8 is GOAT phone of 2017.

What is
> Battery issue
> Overheat issue
> Backlight issue
> Radio issue
> Bootloop issue
> Sd card not detected issue
> Full of chink botnets
> Root yet voids warranty
> Cant buy good cases because the phone is nearly non existend

If your 200$ phone laster years to you then good for you. Congratulations on winning the chink phone lottery

I sold my s7 this year. Use the money to fund s8. I repeat the cycle since s4. Feels great not to worry any issues at al.

>OP discovers hyperconsumption and law of diminishing marginal utility
Wow, great thread, retard. What other revelations are you going to grace us with? New car models are not 3 times more functional than previous ones? This years clothes collection isn't really twice as fashionable as the previous one? Fucking kill yourself, pointless brainlet.

Also, I don't have anything else to spend money on anyway, I don't go out, I'm very non-social, I don't travel (I want to, but really can't justify paying hundreds or thousands of dollars on a week or two, all the places I want to visit are ridiculously far and gotta get visas which takes weeks). Whatever I have after rent, food and supporting non-working parents I can only spend on tech anyway, and it's something I use 24/7 anyway so why not have the best crap I can afford.

>I don't have anything else to spend money on anyway
>really can't justify paying hundreds or thousands of dollars on a week or two
>I want to travel
>submitting a visa application is hard
Simply ebin.

Just means his personal tech devices are more important to him than travel

>different people have different priorities
WHOOAAAAAA radical.

Build quality and support, mainly.
If I'm going to use a phone for 3 years or more, it ought to last that long and non-flagships just don't.

Incidentally, how's the audio on the Note 8?

That's honestly a big deal for me, because on a lot of phones my chink cartoons and eastern pop music just sound outright terrible, even on flagship-tier ones. But that stylus is so, so delicious, I've been pining for a Note ever since I played around with 3 at work, and I imagine it's much smoother now.

I'm on edge between getting a Note or spending much less and go for a G6 or V20/V30 for their quad-DAC, which I'm pretty sure should be as good as it's possible for phones right now. I mean I could get a dragonfly black, but dongle life is annoying and not every phone and app play well with external audio.

no reason besides looking cool

I'll probably downgrade my phone to the SE or whatever comes after and use that for the next few years at least. I use my phone basically as an mp3 player, constantly playing sideloaded spotify and for web browsing. Yes, I can occasionally text people (but less and less as my friends all start families). Yes, sometimes basic things can be done on it for work - like viewing someone's presentation slides (but it HAS to be accompanied by a laptop).

I don't even play games on my phone so the basic shit I do do means that the average flagship 5 years ago is even fast enough to handle my needs, let alone the 2 year old flagship I have today. Also, I don't want to feel like I'm carrying around a phablet just to play spotify.

The Note8 DAC is very good for a mobile DAC, a bit below the V30's Quad DAC, but it's still a VERY good DAC in it's own right.

I have HD650, AKG K712, and Denon AH-D2000. All sound good on the Note8 but the Sennheisers could probably use some more amplification than this phone can provide at stock. But I honestly don't expect a cell phone to have the power to drive $300+ headphones.

For IEMs or mid-range full size headphones the Note8 audio quality is going to be better than most other phones besides the LG V30.

What said, exactly.

Plus, y'know, we don't have particularly good relations with most other countries, so getting a visa can be unreliable, I had problems. Although I'm very much in the process of solving that issue for good for myself.

No. It just means that "really want to travel" is some utter bullshit.

Who gives a fuck? How YOU value travel, or how you PERCEIVE he values travel is ultimately irrelevant to you since it isn't your life.

>Who gives a fuck?
I do. Maybe he does. Apparently you do too. Exchanging ideas and opinions is how communication works, you see, user of a site designed for communication.

same here on the Kogan special atm been going good for a year now

Maybe I should rephrase it.

Why do YOU care about someone else's priorities when it comes to their disposable income?

Either way the money gets spent, either way you're personally not involved in any way.
I just don't see why any of it matters to you.

>well at least on first world countries, you live on a first world country right?
>on...on

Clearly you don't, or at least don't belong there.

Wait all people on 1st world cointries speak perfect english, or use english as 1st language? Geuine question.

Well, I don't expect too much from a phone, but a clear undistorted sound at least. If there's not enough volume for a noisy environment, Viper and stuff can usually make up decently for it, and in an extreme case I'll just dongle.

I'm running the non-audiophile over-ear Sennheiser Momentums, so I take it the phone can handle them fine then, thanks! That makes me pretty much set for a Note 8 then, once my OPO is too ded to use.

Last phone I got was an iPhone 6S. It was a thousand where I live and I got it at 450. Still too much. I broke the screen but luckily it shattered on the bezel and the main screen is ok. I'm not spending even 50 to replace the screen and I will use it until it dies.All phones do exactly the same thing

Yeah the momentums should be just fine, they're much lower impedance than the HD 650.

Momentums are 18ohm specifically for use on phones and laptops.

The HD650 are 300ohm and meant for a studio headphone amplifier.

So yeah, I would expect no issues at all with the Momentums.

I admit I have worded myself awkwardly. I do want to travel, but I would much rather have better gadgets that I spend years using all of the time than, e.g., visit Comiket once. I can live without traveling easier than I could live without silicon crack.

Am I the only one who still feels perfectly happy with my current phone? I'm still using an iPhone SE and looking at my choices I can't say that there's anything that's really worthy of me changing phones. Despite the niceties on the likes of the LG V30 (quad-DAC), S8+ (edgy), and even the iPhone 7 or iPhone 8, when I think about my phone and how I use it, what I need out of it, it still works perfectly well for me. It's hard to make my mind up with odds like this I think.

I feel perfectly fine with my phone, too, it's three years old and still an amazing daily driver, except for having suffered a hard life and being somewhat unstable as a result - and non-updatable to anything past it's original firmware due to some manufacturing issue (either bootloops or the screen just doesn't turn on).

I'm just looking for something just as great from the fresh batch of devices, three years worth of upgrades that I've been missing out on do sound appealing, even if not necessary. Do I need that extra vertical space? Not really, but it's convenient. Do I need more power? Not really, but it's convenient. Do I need VR? No, but I sure as hell want it. Am I going to use the stylus much if I get a Note? Probably not, but it's sure convenient to have it when I want to sketch or take a visual note (which I lack a good way to do, capacitive pens are downright terrible).

So while I'm perfectly happy, when I'll have to upgrade anyway, I want to get something even better since I can.

When is the LG V30 going to be released? Or at least the price announced?

I hate seeing videos of Koreans with V30s and I can't get one.

>LG V30
androidheadlines.com/2017/09/report-lg-v30s-screen-exhibiting-color-imbalance-issues.html

No thanks

The price still hasn't been announced

You've actually missed a fair amount of stuff by holding out on a phone for 3 years. The thing for me is that I just don't see the need to actually go out and get a flagship at the moment. If I hadn't bought an iPhone SE maybe I wouldn't feel this way. But this phone actually has a superior camera to many of the flagship models from other brands out right now. It has better audio, better connectivity, better software and apps, etc. What it all comes down to is apparently the few hardware gimmicks on the likes of the Note 8 (stylus, edge, waterproofing) or the BlackBerry KeyOne (hardware keyboard).

I'm at the point where simply seeing one good feature isn't enough anymore. I need a great package. And to be honest, I see that more from Apple than any other tech company, much less many Android phone makers out there.

upgrading from one device to one that does the same thing is just plain old consumerism and only appeals to people who attempt to spend money to keep thins new and exciting. That excitement dies quick. It won't bring you any happiness

>I'm at the point where simply seeing one good feature isn't enough anymore. I need a great package. And to be honest, I see that more from Apple than any other tech company, much less many Android phone makers out there.
Lol?

Lack of headphone jack, lack of pretty much any innovation at ALL with the iPhone 8 vs the iPhone 7. Lets be real, it's the iPhone 7s. Even people who bought the iPhone 8 and are coming from iPhone 6 or 6s are complaining that it simply DOESN'T feel like a new device, it just feels like a normal iphone.

So not only are you forced into a more locked down software ecosystem, but you've got locked hardware choices that make it so you can't even get normal headphones working without a dongle.

There isn't a single iphone with a hardware keyboard or a stylus or a quad DAC, yet THEY'RE the more complete package?

I'm sorry, but the ONLY place apple wins is with their software being a more complete package at stock. iOS is simply more optimized (for good fucking reason they barely have half a dozen different hardware configurations they have to bother optimizing for vs android using hundreds of different hardware combinations)

Anyone who says apple is a more complete package is a shill, or just an idiot.

I'd like potential mates to see that I have disposable income and I can afford to take care of their every need.

It makes you look rich even though it took you years of flipping burgers to save up for it
Literally noone but poorfags fall for the expensive phone meme