The Official Sup Forums Private and Secure Messaging Thread

Why can't Sup Forums decide on a private and secure messaging solution?

I want to use Signal but the developer behind it uses a fake name and his (((real name))) makes me not want to use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ring.cx/
tox.chat
zdnet.com/article/wickr-encrypted-messaging-app-goes-open-source/
archive.is/t9VQY
github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Threema is a good one, had too many problems with Signal so i changed to this, they also have encrypted calls since last week

>Threema is a good one

nobody will pay for this

Sup Forums is inherently contrarian, once it looks like there's a consensus opinion the 40% will start trashing it

>why can't Sup Forums come to a consensus?
>provides a great example of one's own autism
now consider that everyone else on Sup Forums is just as retarded as you and your answer should become obvious

Fuck. Calls are a thing now? I need to update my threema then. Cool.

That explains so much...

ur both wrong

Briar.

irc. since 1980s. security and privacy: trust your server, use ssl irc

Looks too basic

>it's autism to be wary of a messenger that requires you to use a phone number

You don't belong on Sup Forums

How does Wire compare to Signal?

Wire is a good solution but man it is such a weird design and you can't really host your own server.

Wire doesn't require your phone number, has a few more features and a web app.

I think hosting your server will become possible later. They're open sourcing it, or they have already.. not sure.

>Wire doesn't require your phone number

This is true but it annoys me how you need to use a desktop client or webpage to register without a phone number. The phone app should do the same.

Threema is awesome. My normie friends are still on WhatsBook though...

Consider the following

I was referring to OP sperging out over Signal dev's pseudonym. He answered his own question, ironically, by showing just how much of a sperg he is.

The name thing may be a reason why Signal does not allow you to use anything but a working phone number.

>he does his drug transactions with an app that requires his phone number
lol!

Signal and threema cant be broken by brainlet fuzz.

But no, I won't be using a terrorist messenger, that Is where all the focus goes, so muzzies can keep their tools of choice. ( telegram etc )

Threema is 4 White people only.

>doing drugs at all

shame

XMPP + OMEMO

use Signal you fucking idiot. If Edward Snowden says it's good then it's good

>no voice calling

Snowden was only a sysadmin. He wasn't a cryptography expert or a codebreaker.

DUDE XD

[spoiler] i know :( [/spoiler]

He's the most ethically sound person in the crypto community and he's technically saavy enough to know what's safe and what's not. More than anybody on Sup Forums at least. I've yet to hear a real criticism of signal

Snowden's probly in touch with EFF cypherpunks daily now though. Moxie is top tier cryptographer and while Signal's design decisions have been iffy it's still the best practical thing you'll find. Most of the things you are worried about protecting from apps aren't protected from adversaries anyway.

>I've yet to hear a real criticism of signal
it.requires.you.are.phone.number.

Arbitrarily not allowing decentralization and keeping the main servers in the USA is enough of a red flag.

does it transmit your phone number? does anyone listening already have access to that data?

Same. I use Signal, and only two of my friends use it, whereas everyone else is still a WhatsFag.
I'd be okay with using Telegram but I just can't deal with the other, for various reasons.

>tfw thinking about downloading it on another phone and SIM card so I can give it out to new acquaintances

Snowden is a Fed. He was rolled out in order to discredit any US control of the internet so it can be internationalized further.

Any good apps for SMS texting? I don't like Samsung's defaults for my Galaxy Note II. It's just so damn ugly.

signal

>Made by a Zionist
trashed

OMEMO is the futūr.

Because there's something wrong with every one of them.

Signal - Cruz its Manestream and its setzt its is cool af
Threema - Because oft Schweiz Muthafuckas!!! Give them their cheese money you lazy guck!
Kontalk - cuz gold encryption and Owen Server!

Thats all i use.

Extra credit: Telegram... JK i am not an autistic retard who can't change their diaper

>trusting a known FSB double agent

Riot.im anyone??

GNU Ring
ring.cx/

>Riot.im

their privacy policy is fucking scary

Tox
tox.chat

>>>>>Edward Snowden is a double agent
Are you mentally insufficient..?

Straight up anybody that thinks signal or wire is the permanent answer is an idiot.

Riot.im and Matrix are by far the best designed. It is DECENTRALIZED. Putting all your eggs in one basket like signal is fucking stupid.

The only thing you can say against matrix is that it doesn't encrypt metadata, but it cant by design in most cases, and this isn't an issue if you host your own server and mke your friends and family accounts on your server. Then leaking metadata doesn't matter at all.

And when I say metadata isn't encrypted by design, this is because it has bridges to EVERYTHING (Irc, slack, discord, Skype) so it needs to be able to talk with those.

The absolute most private you can be is host your own matrix (synapse) server and encrypt the rooms you use to talk to friends and family.

God damn im sick of hearing you 12 year olds preach signal and wire, as if we don't have enough centralized, walled-garden communication options. Fuck off

have fun trying to get everyone you know to install that shit and configure it to your server, unless you're a shut-in

signal is the best practical option and alternative to whatsapp

>shills Riot when XMPP+OMEMO is the true privacy and security champion and no shit companies like VECTOR run it

the fuck are you talking about?

hey bro lemme see your phone one sec. (download riot and sign in with the account you made him, taking 35 seconds)

here you go, talk to me on here from now on. i can't take my phone out at work so i can't respond to regular text messages, but i can respond to you on this using my computer.

ive done this for about 30 people and everybody uses it just fine. and my sister loves it because now i can 'facetime' her and my nephews even though i don't have an iphone.

i tried xmpp+omemo first before riot. it failed because it can't push notifications to an iphone, people on iphones will only see a message when they open the app up manually.

that's a fucking deal breaker for 99.999% of everybody, kiddo

Persona 5 messenger

>it's actually on the Play Store
I needed this so much.

ugly as fuck

Unironically this. I love it so much and so does a friend who saw it on my phone.

It works like a charm on my Note II, thanks man. On another note, does anyone know which keyboard I should use that isn't a goddamn botnet? Samsung's is fine but it looks like garbage.

Logs logs logs

This.

>it failed because it can't push notifications to an iphone

chatsecure?

I do this but with Signal.

What's a good reason to use this over something like Wire? Apart from self-hosting.

Nothing. It's not as good as Wire. It's poorly funded and poorly maintained. Wire is at least going somewhere.

GNU Ring
Matrix.org (riot.im)

>GNU Ring

buggy as FUCK

>Matrix.org (riot.im)

Not going anywhere. It's got no users and no funding. They are still in beta mode.

>thinking you need a phone number to verify signal

If your worried about using a phone number and don't know how to get around this. You should stop doing anything illegal. You are not sharp enough, and you will eventually get caught.

I shouldn't have to get around it. It should let me make up a username and password like Riot does.

signal doubles as a terrific SMS app

Signal manages SMS...?

It has SMS fallback if you want it. Kinda like iMessage. It's not a great SMS app but it works.

>not open source

no deal

What's the name of the developer?

>proprietary
>security
kek

tox still exists

zdnet.com/article/wickr-encrypted-messaging-app-goes-open-source/

Can I have the actual name of the developer that has a Jewish name?

Preach. Hit me up at @piroko:pintobyte.com.

>Sup Forums

Fify

What about SnikitySnak?

Guys, just use Discord. :^)

>using a botnet that can kick you off whenever you say anything they don't like

Isn't using the same username for different networks a major security vulnerability?

I use Signal. There's no reason not to.

then don't make the same username, dope

i have dozens of aliases

>Why can't Sup Forums decide on a private and secure messaging solution?
They did. But they were too naive and unprepared.
archive.is/t9VQY

Tox is a failure. We never decided on it. It was made by a few amateurs and they tried to force it on us but it didn't stick.

Tox on Android just works
Get it from fdroid

>Why can't Sup Forums decide on a private and secure messaging solution?
Because idiots like you will actually choose to not use a good product solely because you don't like the name of the dev.

Tox is still alive at github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore

Moxie is not the orig designer of the signal protocol, another guy is who left the project and works somewhere else, I think for Faceberg.

Signal you can build from source yourself and use it so I don't see the problem. The only other crypto protocol project going right now remotely decent is Wireguard.

Telegram, ect are all piles of junk.

I should clarify this.

Moxie went to CMU and got a bachelors w/Stuart Anderson, who was then a PhD student in robotics. Stuart Anderson and Moxie wrote the new Signal protocols, but Stuart is the mad genius behind Signal. Moxie is just a really good security hacker. They sold Signal to Twitter for countless millions and now Moxie pretty much dreads showing up to work everyday and wants somebody else to take over (so get involved with Signal if you want to take it over, but you are at the mercy of Twitter).

Moxie also worked for Twitter for a while as their chief security guy but he quit quickly. I recall during that time Weev calling him out saying how easy it was to crack a SS7 stack and impersonate phone numbers, and sure enough a year or so later Twitter and Jewggle started getting hacked by Chinese agents smashing SS7 stacks. tfw should have hired Weev to be their security head.

Moxie has beef with the Telegram clowns, because they jacked Signal's protocol, rewrote a bunch of it (unsafely), and are releasing an inferior product but because it's full of bullshit Weechat junk people use it. Telegram is a nation state backdoored pile of shit.

Moxie will pay you in bitcoins for every commit you make to the project to add features, so you can get paid to work on it. He totally wants the fuck out of there and anybody here who can write Java and wants to learn security you should apply there and learn directly from moxie before he fucks off on a sailboat or something to SJW island.

>before he fucks off on a sailboat or something to SJW island

Wire is great, not as complete and neat as something like telegram, but it is the safest while also working.

messaging should rely on open standarts. exclusive app messaging should already die. use xmpp, especially if you want privacy.

Does that have group calls?

>Moxie went to CMU and got a bachelors w/Stuart Anderson, who was then a PhD student in robotics. Stuart Anderson and Moxie wrote the new Signal protocols, but Stuart is the mad genius behind Signal.

A Jew takes credit for a goy's work. How shocking.

i'd probably use threema, but i wouldn't be able to convince anyone i know to use it. i just stick with signal and whatsapp. every once in a while someone i know will install signal. kind of cool to see some slow adoption, i guess.

Imagine telling somebody they have to pay for an IM client. Fuck that. Just stick to Signal.