Sup Forums, why shouldn't I use this?

Sup Forums, why shouldn't I use this?

It's slow

/thread

It does the same job as better programs
And it's written in JavaScript

You have every reason to use it, you're a faggot after all.

>he has an entire browser stack and backend node application to edit a text file

Because vim and emacs exist
Just choose one which fits your needs and stick to it

JavaVM

>Draining your battery voluntarily

By the time it opens, someone else has already done your job and gotten promoted.

> so slow it has input lag
> can't open log files
> loading an entire browser to edit text files
> will drain battery life
> takes a very long time to start

then what to use faggos

only reason is that it's slow. Sublime text is faster and does similar stuff (and looks similar). Atom is open source tho. Dumb idea to write it in Javascript, but nice functions tho.

>will drain battery life
That's the only legit reason. I use vim on the go but Atom if plugged in.

Even Notepad++ is a million times better

VSCode exists

in that category I prefer vscode but that's just me

but yeah on linux to quickly edit a file I use vim
windows I use notepad++

quick project vscode

/thread

>spoonfeed me hurr durr
>replies to post which literally tells him what to use
Vim or emacs you retard
Now get off my board

Both are painfully old, antiquated, and user-unfriendly

They've served their purpose, we have superior alternatives now. Atom has grown an ecosystem of community-created packages many times richer and more useful than both emacs and vim in a matter of few years, compared to decades in the case of vim/emacs.

Why should you this ?

nano is better

Editing:
>Leafpad

Scripting:
>Geany

Programming:
>Atom

Making emacs look modern isn't hard; what revolutionary features Atom has brought to text editing that emacs can't already do, I'd love to know. Learning to use emacs isn't hard (there's a built-in tutorial, all you need is the ability to read).

> I can't take a little time to learn how to use a good piece of software
> I'll instead use a bad piece of software that's modern and 'intuitive'

I want to learn emacs, give me tips

this, get off my board ledditor

For you?
gedit

not sure about atom, but vscode has intellisense and autocomplete extensions for everything there is. it also has an integrated terminal

i forgot to also mention that everything i said is a few clicks away, unlike emacs where you have to arrange stuff. emacs' only advantage is being lightweight

atom has autocomplete plugins for everything, an itegrated terminal plugin (platformio IDE), and intelligent code completion.

there are multiple threads on this. In short the whole thing is slow, large, some stuff with the whole "hackable" aspect is screwed.

I assume if your asking this question, you liked atom. If you did, you will greatly enjoy emacs. Emacs is just atom but with no flaws and something extra

>emacs
>lightweight

Sublime Text 3

Notepad+++ requires way more work to setup, and is much harder to sync across platforms.

That's why I moved from NP++ to Atom in the first place.

I moved to Atom for pretty much everything aside from large projects, when I break out Eclipse.

I really prefer the ability to sync the dev environment across my work laptop, home PC, and Chromebook.

I can't think of good reason not to use it unless you have a large project or need some better debugging tools.

Get a better computer.

Don't use Macbooks.

Use it if you want. It has nice git integration with git+ installed and I'm sure the whole plugin system can be used in other worthwhile ways. Don't actually listen to anything on Sup Forums. Not even this.

Don't listen to this autists. The VIM/emacs guys don't really code, they just play with conf files and masturbate with arch. Developing with components and lots of files is a pain in the ass with those.

Atom is nice, but dead slow, VSCode is better and faster, lots of plugins, shortcuts, etc.

No, it's not bad, it's good, better than emacs, AND it's easy and intuitive. A text editor is a tool, if I have to waste time "learning" it, then it's getting in my way and needs to be replaced by something better. And no, emacs, doesn't look modern by any stretch of the word.

Just see the tutorial on the splash screen.

It's useless. Please, just leave these decades-old editors and move to something modern and efficient if you want to do any actual work.

Emacs and vim are memes for unemployed college students who want to feel like hackers. People with real jobs just use whatever makes them most efficient.

GTFO

I had a very popular plugin (beautify) that started deleting entire file content on save after an update. This is the power of diversity focused and free (communist) software.

>Emacs and vim are memes for unemployed college students who want to feel like hackers
Literally everybody on my team uses either VIM or Emacs (and one guy who uses spacemacs for reasons he has yet to articulate) because they're the only editors robust and well-developed enough to support a wide variety of languages at once, with the added bonus of being usable without x running so we can work remotely without needing RDP.
Some teams are starting to use VS Code more but they're generally webshits.

Come back when you've actually worked in prod, faggot. Atom and Sublime are unusably slow with large codebases and not cost effective, respectively.

>input lag
>> vim has it too
>entire browser
>>its not entire browser
>drain batt life
>>buy new laptop
>takes long time to start
>>buy new laptop

Ctrl+v and alt+v for moving up/down entire buffer screens
Ctrl+x f to open files
Ctrl+x arrow-key to switch buffers
Ctrl+x s to save
Ctrl+x c to close
Ctrl+a to go to the front of a line
Ctrl+e to go to the end of a line
Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2 to do horizontal and vertical buffer splits, Ctrl+0 to collapse back to one
Ctrl+space to start highlight, ctrl+space to finish highlight.

Those are the ones I find most universally useful. Everything else comes down to your config preferences.

Why didn't your employer buy you a modern computer? Cutting corners on hardware is a telltale sign you're working for/with amateurs.

true

gedit is legit

Emacs has all that stuff, if not by default, then by extension. And, instead of being a few clicks away, it's a few keypresses away. Fuck, you can even set up your .emacs file so it'll be ready for you when you open it.

>easy and intuitive
>not as powerful
>better

>waste my time
>learning to use good tools properly
>waste my time
>learning

So, couple of things, I can appreciate using software because it's easy to use. Not gonna be a faggot and tell you that you must use emacs or vim. Can't be denied that they're objectively better pieces of software; more features, more powerful, actually a fuck tonne easier to use if you just accept that they're different and you're going to have to learn something new.

Your logic is also retarded. If it's a good tool that will make you more productive then it's not a waste of time to learn.

decent slime equivalent for atom when

magit for atom when tho

why no jetbrains IDE ?

I don't know, that looks radioactive man

that electrum wallet icon looks a little green

But Notepad++ just opens

Because you're using a full-blown web browser to edit plain text ffs.
Has the whole world gone mad?

I don't find a slight a delay in opening my environment that troublesome.

It's something I do once a day, assuming I even bothered to close out of it the day before.

Code::Blocks.

no u