Data is important and I feel like HDD, SSD, or Fusion Drives aren't discussed enough...

Data is important and I feel like HDD, SSD, or Fusion Drives aren't discussed enough. Not to mention their storage limits.

What HDD does Sup Forums swear by? How do you store all that important animu? Personally I like WD Blacks. But I've had a friend shill to me non-stop about Iron wolf. And also who the fuck needs a single drive with 10TB?

Guess Sup Forums is to busy talking about the newest ifag products or "PC Gaymen" shit

I'm not amongst the most tech savvy people in this board, but I do have about 10 TBs of drives, I live in a country where piracy is pretty easy, so I have every show I ever liked, every movie, all the pictures, documentaries, whatever it is I fancy. It all amounts to a bit under 5 tbs, out of which I have a 3tb selection with both a back up and an offline back up.

When it comes to drives, I have 3 2tb drives, from different suppliers and age, so I'm waiting for one of them to start failing at some point soon.

In the end, Instead of focusing on which drives are better, I prefer to have back ups. No drive is flawless, but statistically, even with shitty drives, it's much harder to loose data with several back ups.

TL;DR Don't obsess over the medium, focus on the redundancy.

Also I forgot to add my 3 tb external drive, a 120gb ssd I got when I didn't have budget for anything else, a 256 nvme m.2 drive (960 EVO) and random drives I collected from different pc's that were going to the trash.

>What HDD does Sup Forums swear by?
whatever is a good deal on black friday

I find data hoarders pretty pathetic, I mean if you like torrenting shit you will never take a look at thats ok, but dont believe you are "special" for being a moron, it gets even worse when they try to sound like network geniuses when their biggest accomplishment was login to their home routers

This is pretty much me, but replace boxing day with black friday since black friday isn't as big of a deal here in Canada as it is the US

Maybe I've just been lucky, but the only drive I've had completely "fail" out of the blue was some 5gb hdd from like 1998 or something like that (maybe later, my memory from like 95-2002~ kind of gets clumped together)

I watch everything I torrent, though.

I could probably find some stuff I haven't watched, but I have seen about 80% of it. It might be stupid to think about hoarding data when netflix is so convenient, but it's nice to have access to everything for the cost of a few movies.

Streaming is going to be the future because younger generations don't even know what a torrent is, but when it comes to convenience, I still think that data hoarding beats netflix any day.

You sound like someone with just a phone.

I hoard only hard to get movies and weird shit, stuff people will probably never see again because of shit like Netflix. I like to think of it as archiving for the future generations.

Dude, I have a Spanish TV show that is literally impossible to torrent because nobody gives two fucks. It took about 4 hours of finding episodes in different platforms, merging video files and all that good stuff, but now it's complete. I find pleasure in knowing it will always be there. No matter what people, the production company or whoever owns the rights does with it.

I got rid of all my HDDs last year, have 2 500gb Crucial SSDs now.

What exactly are the odds of losing data on cloud storage?

Pretty low.
Then again, there might files you don't want on cloud storage. Call it paranoia, but I wouldn't rely solely on it.

>cheapest non seagete hdd
>on site and off site backups
Werks for me.

Tapes master race

Did you make a torrent of it at least? Otherwise you aren't helping

The "cloud" goes so does your files. Cloud is only a backup solution and a bad one at that

Cool your jets. This isn't Sup Forums. You won't get replies instantly here.

I ordered one of those 4 GB WD Blue drives, I didn't want to risk more than that failing.

hard drives don't seem expensive until you need to buy 6 or more of them

How can I wipe an OS from an old hard drive so it only has my personal files left on it?

You use Google.

>backup personal files somewhere else
>wipe hard drive
>restore personal files from backup
>???
>profit

HGST drives are the best, I believe.

why would anyone buy ironwolf if enterprise modell is better and it cost just a little bit more (+30eur)

I want to buy one too but cant make myself pay 3x of what i paid before for hard drives (1TB).

I love you! what kind of drive you got annon?

Magneto Optical Drive master race.
Drive I use in Pic (SMO-F561)

I still use Iomega Jaz Drives for small things, Love the damn thing

Netflix's horror selection is fucking terrible tho