Finish programming homework for university with the knowledge I've gained from self-studying

>finish programming homework for university with the knowledge I've gained from self-studying
>"Good job but I'm taking 10 points off because the material is not from this chapter"
"""higher""" education is fucking cancer

if you alternate ' and " you get a better kerning in

'"'" alternate '"'"

btw nice try,

B - -

Learn to follow instructions nub

Can you post the homework question?

I agree, be a cuck OP

if you used libraries that weren't covered to work around the problem and make it trivial that's basically cheating.

I'd argue it's cheating for a teacher to give programming students a problem that does not ever need to exist except because of another programmer's mistake.

It's like making someone do long division in a chemistry class while a calculator is right there.

The entire point of the assignment was to use what you were taught in the class, it's not some grand assessment of your cumulative skills.

you didn't follow the instructions that were assigned so you were penalized. it's the same shit like how middle school teachers would take points off if you didn't use the correct name and date format

It because youre taking intro to prog 1. Wait until u take more advabced classes n get ur ass blasted

Suck it up you whiner

Are you the fuck that constantly nags the professor in Piazza to use other libraries and argue with them when they say no?

If so, you're fucking insufferable.

No, it's like making someone in chemistry class do long division once to make sure they're not a moron, and letting them use calculator from then on

programming?

Did you at least show him your programming sock for EC?

>asked to make a hashing algorithm for company
>make hashing algorithm that also is a calculator
>"good job but I'm forcing you to take 10 hours off because you wasted company time"
"""employment""" is fucking cancer

>tfw something got pushed out of my brain to make room for this '"'"'" knowledge '"'"'"

You couldn't just use SHA256?

Making your own algorithm means none of the hashes have been discovered. Also I'm only in college so I don't know what companies ask you to do.

>instructor says inputs will only be 1 or 0
>"-2, Excelent code but what if someone input something besides 1 or 0?"
Everyone in my class got this, not worth arguing over two points but ita left me salty.

If you add a salt then none of the hashes will be discovered to begin with as long as the hashing algo has no collisions, which SHA256 has yet

Fine, I'll revise it

>company asks you to make function that returns a hash from an input string
>make a function that generates a hash, and also works as a calculator by inputting strings like "1 + 5"

I started working for a startup while in high school, but recently went back to school to get a degree.
So I'm sitting in an intro to Java course after spending the last 6 years as a professional developer.

Make a challenge of it. Your job is to solve the problem with a very limited set of tools.

haha, yes, long division is so easy, I can definitely still do it without a calculator.

>Not performing error checking
Sure is amateur hour in here

>being penalized for following instructions as given

Its a newbie class im taking because despite it doubling up and teaching entry level java it counts as a separate credit
They havent taught error checking yet
Also , they explicitly stated only worry about 1 or 0 even

wow you are some special smart ass, arent you?

error checking is something you learn in the first day of C

My programming class has us writing data structures in java with hardcoded types instead of using templates. We were supposed to copy and paste the code several times for different types.
Its like the guy didnt even know what templates were and he hadnt bothered learning anything since the 80s. He barely even knew what OO was.

>input is guaranteed to be 1 or 0
>what if input isn't 1 and 0?
sure, error checking is good, but that assignment is retarded

>was second year college, still hoped for fun
>guy gave assignment like 'so yeah, that's GLUT, now make something nice on it
>you could get 0-5 points for it
>people around made some kind of spheres and boxes in various arrangements
>i wrote obj loader that keeps models in objects and then you can easily manipulate them
>cool, relatively pro code (or so i thought), especially for college standards
>loaded .obj teapot to show it
>3/5
>what? b-but it's obj and file load and objects and
>look user, this is what i think it's worth. try harder next time
>someone who arranged bunch of triangles so it looks like little house got 5/5

that was exact moment i stopped caring for any subject that doesn't have good professor assigned to it. i'm ending college this year and it was a fun ride like that, i was writing nice things for nice people and half-assed shit for people who wouldn't be able to tell a difference anyway

tl;dr stop caring, it's not worth it

What if I want the hash of the string "1 + 5"? You should get in trouble because your program doesn't work correctly.

Programming is something students can easily be better at than teachers before getting into university.

I want to open a business of my own, should I drop out guys?

>I want to open a business of my own, should I drop out guys?
No, because when your business fails it will be easier to get a code monkey job with a degree.

you should only drop out if it succeeds e.g. facebook, microsoft

>solve problem referencing last semester's material
>sorry, no outside sources allowed
cancer indeed

>asked to make a hashing algorithm for company
>make hashing algorithm that also plays tetris
lol, why?

It's like making someone not to use L'Hopital's rule to calculate limits, in order to evaluate them on how do they manipulate the algebraic expressions.

if that is the case, go talk with the professor. chances are that, without talking to him, you look like someone who copied. have fun socializing

Bump, OP