I this actually used in the industry or is subversion more popular?

I this actually used in the industry or is subversion more popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8
about.gitlab.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody uses free software in the tech industry, it's all microsoft or oracle garbage.
Lincucks like to delude themselves and think that the whole world runs on linux but only 15% of servers run linux worldwide, the rest are windows

Subversion was purged from my corporation. Git is the only approved source control now.

I use it at work all the time and so do all the other young-ish people. It's the old farts that bitch and moan about it. There's a few that are still flexible enough to learn new things and use it though.

I don't believe it. Also, I've probably seen like 3 jobs in total asking for subversion, the rest are all git.

So what VCS is mostly used?

>but only 15% of servers run linux worldwide, the rest are windows

But that's objectively wrong. It's closer to 66%.

w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

Git/Mercurial = God tier
SVN = Horrible tier
Manual Version Control = Suicide tier.

whatever your company uses
you're not gonna turn down a job just because they dont use your hobbyist shit, right?

The company I work for runs all of its infrastructure on EXSi or RHEL. They use windows server in VMs for LDAP since we have to have outlook installed on our desktops. I just installed a windows VM on my work machine, which is debian, to use it.

I was hired only to find out the company used CVS

I personally migrated the company to git

youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

At Google we use perforce, but it has git-like aliasing, so everyone works in their preferred way.

t. someone who has never worked a SE job
about.gitlab.com/

>I werk for Gewgle

Have had your testicle removal operation yet?

We us GitHub at my company.

That happens after the lobotomy and you have to work there longer than 1.5 years

Same, Majority of my company used perforce, smaller internal projects used git

For those that don't know, most companies that have huge code bases use perforce, at least before gvfs

Git has svn server compatibility, so you can work with a local git repository and then upload your commits to the central svn server.

It has some limitations due to svn being kinda pithed, especially in the merging department, but it worked fine for me before my company switched over.

My company (defense) uses TFVC which is a pos. Not even MS uses it lol. We're trying out some contracts with git -- hopefully it sticks. The argument for TFVC is for the artists and for some pm shit, which none of the engineers do right anyway bc no one care.

>putting your IP on other peoples' servers.
Why do so many leap to do this?

It's easy

Literally our entire company uses RHEL & git. There's literally no Windows VMs anywhere in the company's infrastructure.

We have an on-prem GHE appliance. Identical to Github just private.

I mean, you can meme all you want, but some of us aren't NEETS. It's a good company to work at, with really smart people.

That sounds less retarded.

We do the same for Hipchat and a couple other minor appliances but we're moving away to Slack actually. Hipchat sucks.

So was my first date, but herpes is forever.

Yeah we use Slack. I think everybody does.

Yeah, it's loads better obviously than Hipchat. Easier to integrate with too for our internal stuff, can't wait for us to finally move there later this month.

Hey, if you can't answer, that's cool, but high level, what do you do at Google?

Nobody uses git in the industry, not because its bad or something, but because companies need to keep their shit and millions/billions worth of source code private. Some retards here need to understand this fundamental difference between their shitty startup tier companies and a huge company is that nobody is a hipster and nobody gives a shit if you use emacs on your riced arch for coding because company standards dictate something else.

>Git is only usable in public facing repositories
You're kidding, right?

In the game industry most use SVN or Perforce. I don't really know of any companies that use git.

Confusing GitHub with Git is all too common. I blame the people who truly believe that programming is a social activity.

git is good for FOSS side projects and small companies but not larger companies. That is all.

Why? You've provided 0 reasoning.

No legitimate company uses this trash. Google and MS use Perforce, Facebook uses Mercurial.

This. Many tech companies prefer to use free tools.

I work for the 4th largest software company. Everything we use internally is open source and git, except we use a private internal GitHub enterprise instance.

Open source tech includes CentOS with a six digit server count

Because you're a faggot

are u retard

How have you managed to live this long being that retarded?

>being this assblasted you got called out
just admit you're wrong and learn from it.
git is not GitHub

I am aware of the fact.

>Hey, if you can't answer, that's cool, but high level, what do you do at Google?

I work at Google too. Most people probably won't give any information that could possibly identify them inside the company, especially considering the common perception of Sup Forums. There's also a lot of leaks lately and talking about internal stuff on an imageboard would surely get your name on a list.

You forget:

Any IBM VCS especially RTC = complete shit tier

Yeah youre a fucking idiot

So defend the reasoning behind
If that's not you, why would you bother replying unless it was too just start shit?

Quoted the wrong ID. Fucking floens

he literally only knows about fork / pull, not branch / merge

Okay, that's cool. I definitely understand not wanting to make yourself identifiable. It just seems like you can contribute to a lot of cool projects working there.

I get why people shitpost, honestly. I don't agree with it but I get it. However, if someone is going to shitpost they should at least know what the fuck they are shitposting about.

Why is it trash? Provide evidence, reasoning

I definitely think there are a lot of really cool things you can work on. The company is unique in that you can work on what you want to work on inside teams. Even then if you aren't very interested in what the team is doing, it's very easy to change teams or products.

For myself, I get to work on incredible things I never would thought I would be about to contribute to in a million years.

Does not scale.

it was written and created by the BDFL of one of the largest OSS projects in existence (Linus fucking Torvalds, in case you're a complete philistine)...

i remember when my company switched over from SVN in like 2010- it was akin to the invention of the fucking printing press for us.

It doesn't work well for monorepos which companies like facebook and google use.

Git is the most superiorform of version control. Anyone who uses subversion is a pajeet or a contrarian Nazi who thinks github and git are identical. These statements are factual.

because that's not really its job. what you're talking about is essentially a server application, something like Gitlab or whatever.

Facebook and Google only created their own VCSes because they love the smell of their own farts. i promise whatever shit they built is objectively worse than Git and likely full of bugs and vulnerabilities.

Monorepos are bad though. Much better to split everything up into microservices, in which case Git works fine.

>vulnerabilities
I don't think this matters as long as they keep it isolated on their network.

Facebook literally uses off the shelf mecurial running on a single server.

it never matters until it matters

i couldn't be fucked to google it. facebook are self-important wankers either way.

Hahahhahahhaha
Yes, also since their only competition is almost gone (Team foundation)

Never said it was better though. They use monorepos so they can make changes cross projects easily. Git is the best choice for individual projects.

How'a moot doing?

I work on Chrome. I write the botnet, in a way (It's not really a botnet).

most common scenario i've seen:
older projects are on svn, because that's what was initially used and nobody bothered to move it to git yet
newer projects are on git
one or two projects from around 2012 are using hg because some macfag claims hg > git

See
Not sure, I've never interacted with him.

>it's not a botnet
t. Google employee

So tell me the truth, does this AdNasaum shit actually cause you guys significant problems?

What do you mean

As in, does it affect your revenue?
The reason why a lot of people use it is that advertisers get really pissed off about fake clicks, and pull ads over things like that.

Never heard of adnasaum. I also don't work in ads but from what I've heard it doesn't grief the company in any way.

Oh okay, I wouldn't think it would cause that many more problems than normal power users blocking ads anyways.

A fringe minority has never and will never affect the general outcome of a population's decision. It's why Linux posts no issue to Microsoft, and why AdNausaum poses no issue to Google.

>it was written and created by the BDFL of one of the largest OSS projects
The Linux kernel is what, 800kloc? Thats not particularly large. In fact, that's pretty fucking small. I don't think I've worked on a project that tiny in decades. One application I worked on was right at 50Mloc and 60,000+ files. Git chokes hard on projects like that. Perforce hums right along. Microsofts gitfs is an attempt to make git scale past toy size projects. It remains to be seen how well it will succeed.

Who are you trying to fool? LOL

>Linux poses no threat to MS
>MS is trying to keep developers on Windows with the Linux subsystem for Windows or whatever it's called
Lol

I only used git (and mercurial) in the industry. subversion is almost not used

Linux isn't a fringe minority though.

Supercomputers, servers, mobile, embedded and netbooks are all completely dominated by Linux. Literally, Windows and OSX/iOS are BTFO so hard it's not even funny.

the linux kernel has around 20 million lines of code. Feel free to move the goalposts further, though.

You are confusing git with Github.

Github is a public service/server that uses git.

git can be ran privately on your own local server too.

>20 million? l-lol that's such a small project, no wonder why git is so good for it. yeah, it's really really bad for actual big projects, like 100 million lines of code or more! Microsoft rules!

At my workplace we're gradually switching from tfs to git.
Also ms is switching to git as default versioning for tfs online.

Even fucking Microsoft uses git for Windows development nowadays.

>tried to convince my current project team to use branching and git for our project
>agreed to use branching, but used tfs
>MS is using git now anyways
JUST

At MS we use perforce, but lots of teams are switching to git. Sadly mine (Office) will never switch.

God I hate perforce.

Congratulations, you're too stupid for basic reading comprehension.
15% is a very generous estimation btw

It's actually used. I remember when we had to move Chromium source from subversion to git. Huge headache, but things are much better now.

That said, we only use git for OSS. Internally we use a perforce variant.

Why not mercurial? Is less bloated and more easy.

Can you source that claim?

repo is a bitch though

How do you like your first job, fa.m.

>perforce at work
>not real perforce, but a fork that was made back in 2005 because we wanted to do special things
>Need to do two separate changes in the same file, need entirely two different clients
>Currently have change #100. Need change #123 for a fix so I can keep working. No way to cherry pick, you have to sync all changes between 101 and 122 as well.
>Shit merge resolution
>Company buys literally 3 computers for each employee for "multitasking."
>perforce requires an active team constantly monitoring its health and it goes down bi-weekly regardless.
>terrible branch/integration history guarantees difficult
>fucking every file is write protected and you have to explicitly tell perforce that you would like to edit the file pretty please, then it spits back at you that 20 other users are editing that file, so good luck when submitting.

I miss git

(Not true by the way)
I used to work for two major banks aka the most cancerous and filled with corporate bullshit environments you can think about in the last 3 years. (Don't throw stones at me, I'm a poorfag from Eastern Europe) Even though the laptops were running Windows, the whole application infrastructure was on Linux(RHEL) or Solaris. Regarding vcs: my first projects started to migrate from SVN to git when I was leaving while the other one was already migrated around 2014. As a matter of fact, the most of my colleagues were using git in a linear SVN way, with no branching at all

Tbh we all use Ubuntu & Git at my company.
Some older projects use Mercurial.

>supercomputers
no
>servers
fuck no
>mobile
Android is owned by google and is not "linux"
>embedded
depends on the manufacturer
>netbooks
You're deluded

I use git (regular git, not even git-largefiles) for a project consisting of 30GB of binary files, half of which is fucking compressed data so diffing is inefficient, and still there is no slowdown. You're talking out your arse.