Does linux actually have benifits compared to windows or is it just for a bunch of nerds?

Does linux actually have benifits compared to windows or is it just for a bunch of nerds?

Plenty useful on the server, but advantages fade in personal computing.
Way lower specs required, and no up front cost.

Those are the only real tangible benefits in my mind.

Technically you could also advance an argument for "more secure", but it's kind of a security through obscurity thing, so I don't really give it much weight.

Horses for courses though, it has it's uses: I have a Lubuntu chroot on my Chromebook that I can pop over into do to work or dabble in programming if I'm just messing around or travelling.

If you can't spell benefits you should worry about other things

if you have to ask, you won't understand.

Doing webdev in Windows is just masochistic.

No, it probably won't make you more productive or let you shitpost better or anything, but I actually find it to be way more trouble-free than Windows these days.
Once you get used to the idea of a package manager, for instance, dicking around with Windows installers feels dumb.
I think with the last two releases of Windows, the quality has actually fallen quite a bit, and Linux has gotten better. I haven't had a good experience with Windows 10 yet, whenever I use it on a friend's computer I'm immediately annoyed with it.
Anyway, just use whatever you want. Maybe try Linux with an open mind, or don't. It doesn't matter to anybody who isn't autistic.

For normal users there isn't too much Linux could offer over Windows. Less headaches to get things working right under Windows than in Linux sometimes in my experience.

Everything that the nerds who develop Linux do is better on it than on windows, like
>programming
>networking
>customization
>virtualization
>working with VCS
>browsing the internet
>neatly organizing data in complicated ways
>automation

while everything they don't do is a complete nightmare and should never be done on it like
>using proprietary large scale software like Photoshop, Game engines or CAD
>video games
>any sort of media editing, video cutting
>using miscellaneous hardware features
>using the GPU except for machine learning or other GPU compute tasks

That's about it. Since 90% of PC users do internet browsing, simple office tasks and gaming, Linux is a bad choice for them because it only does 2 of those 3 things, and even then those 2 aren't the strong point of Linux.

linux is faster, less demanding of your hardware, it's easier and quicker to install anything, less bloat, no spyware or adware baked in, doesn't restart constantly, doesn't force updates on you, better for anything to do with programming or networking, better for ricing

windows and mac are absolute garbage for everything but you need them to use proprietary shit like gaymes(mac doesn't even do that lol) and photoshop. Windows literally has no redeeming factors besides the fact that everyone makes their shit work with it.

It seems to flush cache to disk quicker than Windows.

mac is as device
linux is a kernel
thanks for listening.

whoever made that image needs to be shot

Yes and if that picture wasn't biased you'll get plenty of reasons one being easy fix for anything.

>programming
Is a pain on Windows. MSYS and Cygwin are terrible environments.

>networking
You know, I remember when I was working on my master's project running into some strange issues with programming some raw sockets stuff on Windows that would normally work on Linux. They intentionally crippled the Winsock interface on everything after Windows XP.

>customization
You're kidding, right?

>Virtualization
VMWare and Virtualbox both work just fine on Linux.

>Working with VCS
Git commands aren't any different on Windows. But it's a lot easier to update git when you have a proper fucking package manager.

>Browsing the Internet
Firefox and Chrome work exactly the same on Linux as they do on Windows.

>Neatly organizing data in complicated ways
File managers aren't a complicated thing, mate. Every decent OS has one. Linux distros do too. And organizing your folders is basically the same on both platforms.

>Automation
Python, Ruby, Bash, Perl... these things integrate with Linux so well. They're more of a pain on Windows desu, since you need to modify your PATH variable whenever you install something new.

>Everything else
Not really crap I care about. If you need a specific professional application, go ahead and use the operating system required for that application. Otherwise, particularly if you're a developer, Linux is just better.

Software developers, a lot servers use Linux, using same OS makes easy get software and test software.

Over shitty or obsolete version windows or Mac OS software.

>learn to program c++

> (OP)
>if you have to ask, you won't understand.
Pretentious prick

Honestly, I've been using Windows and Linux for 15 years, and Windows got worse with every new version while Linux got constantly better.

Today Ubuntu or Mint work like a charm while window is so full of shit. I don't even know where to start.

Basically I'd say:

>doing music, design or anything graphic related

Choose mac. Only if can't avoid it choose windows.

>Playing games

Windows.

>Programming.

Linux hands down. Then maybe mac. Never use Windows unless it's Java or C#.

>everyday stuff

Mac makes it a breeze, but Linux is good enough here. Win is annoying as hell.

You're actually retarded, the guy was saying those are better on linux, learn to read, fuckstick

I have a feeling you wrote that tl;dr refuting all of those points he made in favor of linux, thinking he wrote them against it. But one cannot be THIS stupid to not even read the post to which he's going to write a next great american novel as a reply, r-right?

macOS is an operating system and neurotypical people refer to anything that uses the linux kernel as just linux.

It doesn't spy on you by default, and it actually a lot safer to use. It also runs on way less resouces, even when comparing a heavy distro like Mint to a relatively light Windows, like 7.

You mean easier?

i've noticed this a lot not even only on Sup Forums, but the whole of Sup Forums
the amount of retards who reply to something they have not even fucking read is increasing drastically

i really hope it's just a new form of advanced trolling

Video editing is probably the thing software for Linux struggle less against their Windows counterparts.

>Never use Windows unless it's Java or C#.
C# I get because of Visual Studio and .Net stuff, but why Java?

> not seeing what your client sees

>picture
what stops you from formatting linux and reinstalling it like the windows """solution"""?

>3 off

If only video editing!
GIMP < Photoshop
Inkscape < Illustrator
Scribus < Indesign
Audacity < every other sane piece of software.
That being said, they all are still very powerful tools but not on the same level as their proprietary counterparts.