I've been using the same original Nintendo 3DS for 6 years now. It's STILL being updated...

I've been using the same original Nintendo 3DS for 6 years now. It's STILL being updated, hasn't slowed down a single bit, no dropped frames, no hiccups, no unexpected shutdowns or reboots, no lost data, no fuss at all. Hell, even the battery is somehow exactly the same as it was 6 years ago.
The only 'problems' I've ever had with the device is that the little rubber sleeve came off the joy stick, which in turn actually made and easier to handle, and sometimes the charging cradle can be a little finicky. Oh, and I lost the original stylus, but that's fine because it came with another one, which I'm currently using.
That's it. Those are the only 'issues' I've ever had with this thing. Not to mention how many times I've dropped it on hard concrete and small amounts of water.

1.) How come smartphone manufacturers can't pull this off?
2.) How did Nintendo manage to do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

3ds.guide/get-started
sciresm.github.io/33-and-a-half-c3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're 240p screens

It has the slowest firmware in the world (just try to load the fucking eShop)

Modern games (Pokémon Sun/Moon, Ace Attorney 6) cause massive framerate drops in busy screens, so much they actually disable the 3D

Try playing a 3DS game that's been ported to iOS or Android - full HD, and buttery smooth

You have the same problem as my mother in law - you have a shitty old piece of outdated slow garbage, but you're just too senile to notice it yet until someone shoves a modern piece of technology in front of your face and forces you to use it

>1.) How come smartphone manufacturers can't pull this off?
>2.) How did Nintendo manage to do it?

1) The 3DS screen resolution is really low compared to modern smartphones. The software written for the 3DS has to be optimized for it, not for 384728194 Android phones with different hardware.

2) its just that a portable console is supported for much longer than a phone. They keep writing software for the same model for years.

About the battery, I have no idea too. My 3DS is the same - battery didn't change after 6 years.

>The software written for the 3DS has to be optimized for it, not for 384728194 Android phones with different hardware.
Closed source wins again.
No one should have to suffer through shitty apps because some people have shitty phones.

>Try playing a 3DS game that's been ported to iOS or Android - full HD, and buttery smooth

Can you give me an example?

It's a machine for children so it's built to be tough and sturdy, but not for performance. For a machine designed around 3D games it really does a shitty job, but it's alright. I retired my 3DS months ago after years of fun. It simply stopped getting exclusives I want to play.

Software bloat and planned obsolescence. Phone manufacturers love the fact that people buy phones every few years.

>It's STILL being updated
You have fucked up now.

3DS was such a solid console, I have an original one but pretty much no games. I am gonna buy some whenever I can find them for cheap.

I recommend Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force and its sequel, and Mutant Mudds.
These can all be found in the eStore and they're not very cheap BUT they're, in my opinion, the only ones that are actually worth the money

Avoid any of the Pushmo sequels, though. Crashmo just sucks in principle because 75% of the time you can just dismantle the puzzle and get straight to the end, and Stretchmo sucks because it's a """"free-to-play"""" game with weird rules that only work sometimes.

Not him, but the latests Ace Attorney have been on the console. I believe Lady Layton is too. Ace Attorney 6 had shitty framerate in its cutscenes even on New 3DS; fortunately it's a visual novel so you shouldn't give a shit as it doesn't impact gameplay.

Yes the 3ds is a master piece. I have a switch too but i think i like my new 3ds better

>Still being updated

STABILITY

All the software on it was designed to run (poorly) on two ~260 MHz ARM11 cores.

Think about that for a moment. One core on a modern smartphone probably blows this thing clear out of the water.

becaues if phones didnt break down easily, how could they get you to buy a new one every year.

Kek

I want to get some of the newer Pokemon games, and Animal Crossing. Only issue is that Pokemon is going to lag without a doubt.

So what my PS1 original still fucking works and so does my game boy colour

>It's STILL being updated
The only thing they include in updates is more DRM.
>hasn't slowed down a single bit
It was hella slow to start with.
>no dropped frames, no hiccups
Clearly havent played pokemon. And that's with shit graphics.
>the battery is somehow exactly the same as it was 6 years ago.
Soo... still shit? Maybe you didnt use yours much. I didnt either but my battery swole up like a balloon.

just install cfw

Those software updates are just for (((stability))) aka patching piracy entry points

I like the Vita better

3ds.guide/get-started

>buying video games
>for the nintendo 3ds
>this is what neo-Sup Forums looks like

It's have nothing to do with the development model. Also the closed source is a cancer that infected heavily the android, so your argument is beyond stupid.

i guess you haven't played the new pokemon games

>planned obsolescence
This and practically only this. Even nexus/pixel users will be fucked in the ass.

How fucking hard is it to manufacture cheap powerful ARM hardware? My $150 Redmi Note 4 has 6x as much RAM, 4x as much processing power and a 5x higher screen resolution. I want the 3DS to be good but if Nintendo would have dropped the gimmicks and just made a high powered quality system it could be so much more. It's a shame PS1 games for example can only run at around half speed on an emulator and the sound is fucked. It should be able to emulate PSP and N64 with ease, but fucking Japs think that kind of hardware is acceptable in the 2010s

I also want to add, why the fuck is my smartphone, a device made for calling and texting, more capable of playing video games than a piece of hardware SPECIALLY BUILT TO PLAY GAMES

Even 1 energy saving A55 core would blow that entire thing out of the water tenfold. It's hilarious how pathetically underpower the 3ds is.

OP BTFO holy shit /deconstructed

>No way, has it really been six years since the 3DS was released?
>June 2010
>It's actually been more than 7

Jesus, where has all the time gone...

Anyways, I'm still using the Nintendo DS lite I've had since Grade 10 in 2006. Somehow, Nintendo managed to get a battery that's lasted 10 years, but my previous two Samsung phones have all started acting up on me after 1-2 years (the S3 was the worst... every year, like clockwork, I needed a new battery for that piece of shit).

The battery still follows thermodynamic theories, and common senses too.

But the 3ds was released in 2010 user

Do you enjoy your
>stability?

Most updates weren't bringing in features. Nor improvements - they were fixes for homebrew access. At least one of them(13.x) lowered performance in some games.

2010 is part of the 2000s. Unless you think 2000 is part of the 1990s.

Part of the 2010s*

eh... pokemon and animal crossing are played out. you can play those on virtually anything. pushmo and msf are only available on the 3ds

so far there are two of us

I miss my DS Lite. Gave it to my cousin who later destroyed it in a fit of autistic rage, but even he had a visibly hard time breaking it and he has the strength of a silverback gorilla.

When it comes to smartphones, there's a neverending competition to push new features in software and hardware by many companies, which makes the devices obsolete fast.

The 3DS is one device controlled by one company. They decide how fast they move forward. Also Nintendo (at least before the Switch) was dead serious about everlasting hardware. They're literally the thinkpads of consoles. I'm on my 4th PSP and I lost count of how many PS3 controllers I've owned; and my nintendo hardware (N64, GBA, NDS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU) has NEVER failed and will probably outlive me.

>They're 240p screens

so? cpu/gpu are more than enough to handle that

>It has the slowest firmware in the world (just try to load the fucking eShop)

the eshop takes long to load because the wireless card is slow, it has nothing to do with the firmware. Load the eshop in a new 3DS and you will see.

>Modern games (Pokémon Sun/Moon, Ace Attorney 6) cause massive framerate drops in busy screens, so much they actually disable the 3D

those are TWO out of the gorillion new games coming out for the 3DS. Don't blame the hardware for lazy programming.

>Try playing a 3DS game that's been ported to iOS or Android - full HD, and buttery smooth
only retarded gen z Sup Forumsfags care about muh DPIs, muh screen tears, muh light bleeds and all other stupid meme """"""problems""""""

>You have the same problem as my mother in law - you have a shitty old piece of outdated slow garbage, but you're just too senile to notice it yet until someone shoves a modern piece of technology in front of your face and forces you to use it
t. consumerist faggot

>The only thing they include in updates is more DRM.
Can't patch out ntrboot/magnethax.
sciresm.github.io/33-and-a-half-c3/

>only retarded gen z Sup Forumsfags care about muh DPIs, muh screen tears, muh light bleeds and all other stupid meme """"""problems""""""
fuck off, all of those are valid problems.

t. retarded gen z Sup Forumsfag

I've had the same Nexus 6 since March 2015 it's still going fine. I don't plan to switch to anything else unless it breaks. Even if the battery dies totally I will probably attempt a replacement or take it to a chink somewhere.

I bought the O3DS back when it first came out also. Played pokemon X and mario 3d land, then forgot about it. It's been sitting there all this time but just last week put in a 64GB card and installed the hacks. Now I can play all the games that were released in that time. Looks like a lot of them are shit though. Pretty neat device.

I'm concerned because at some point I wanted to get a N3DS XL. Some games become a bit unplayable. I got used to different gamepads and such and my O3DS is causing me some pain that I can't really handle. But I'm not really sure about the new ones.

I would pay big bucks for some device that made it possible to play on a different screen with a dual shock 3 or something like that. I don't care about it being a handheld, just the games.

can confirm. The 3DS has a HUGE catalog but only a few really good games. pic related is my (and my GF's) collection, plus a few digital ones like Starfox 64 and SFIV.

Satanic trips

A surprising amount of the good 3DS games are in the eShop, not in cartridges.

Also, buying Spirit Camera was the worst mistake of my life. Piece of shit.

Gamefreak can't program. See how shit is Pokemon on DS and how the current ones sucks when comparated to basically any 3DS game, even Yokai Watch.

>and my nintendo hardware has NEVER failed and will probably outlive me

Fucking this. My SNES is still going strong 22 years after it was first purchased, and 14 years after I first started keeping it in a cottage with no heating in the winter and no A/C in summer. Same goes for my N64 (18 years old this October), despite the fact that my brother's autistic friends have kicked it ans abused it while the system was turned on with a cartridge in it. These things just will not die.

> owning a $200+ gameboy so you can play chinese cartoon games like pokemon
> at an age older than 12
pathetic.

Chinese Cartoon website

where can you get a new 3ds (not xl) that's north american regioned these days?

I guess if you ignore the fact that extended ram games are a thing.

I thought the new XL was the only type of new they sold in NA.

they've had various special releases of the smaller one, like last year's black friday fiasco ones

this website has transcended its roots and you know it.

And yet 3ds has fun games and phones dont

>hasn't slow down a single bit
Wanna know how i know that you haven't use a 3DS un a while?

This desu. Gamefreak is fucking terrible at programming. I'm surprised they (as a whole) haven't seemingly improved since RGB/GS.

The framedrops are likely because they're using futureproofed character models as well.