Need a good tablet for reading e-books

I need one for my school textbooks and I for sure am not reading them on my phone. Any recommendations? Google Play and Kindle need to be accessible apps.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kobo Aura h2o with koreader.
Free as in freedom, e-ink display, 2 month battery life, waterproof, no distractions.

e-ink is really shit for reading big pdfs that you have to thumb back and forth in etc...
Just read them on a laptop IMO.

Why does Sup Forums hates tablets?

>Just read them on a laptop IMO.
Sometimes this isn't feasible, a tablet is much easier to handle and for comfy bed reading.

Any tablet with sufficient battery life.

>school textbooks
>bed reading
Take your study seriously.

This. The lag isn't in the processors so much as it is in the display. Imagine having to wait a second or more with every swipe, tap, or pinch gesture. It's great for plain text, but awful for content rich media.

>reading for school

Because tablet OS are shit

What specs for tablet should I look for in 2017?
>SD card
>2 GB Ram
>16 GB internal storage
>7' screen

In what why?
The tablet OS is designed to be very lightweight on resources while being visually appealing.
And even that didn't stop people from using it as a workstation device.

>7 inch screen
Just get a big phone then. Tablets below 10 inches are pointless.

>Tablets below 10 inches are pointless.
Personal opinion?

I have both a regular tablet and an e-ink tablet. The Samsung S2 8" tablet is nice. It's screen resolution is actually meant for those who do a lot of reading and web browsing. They're like $350 new. 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage + a microSD slot. Overall great tablet

Then the Kindle Paperwhite. Got it for $80 on Amazon. I get close to 3 weeks average use per charge with airplane mode on and 75% screen brightness.

All comes down to what you're looking to do with the tablet. Extended (and I mean like 4+ hours) sessions of reading? E-ink hands down. Less strain on your eyes, vastly superior battery life. But web browsing is a pain. No video capabilities.

Where as a regular tablet can open PDF files, but aren't as suitable for long session of reading. at least not without taking a small break here and there to prevent eye strain.

>lookup recommended tablets
>it's all apple shit.

iPad Mini II's done me well since 2014
I've not updated it since then so it's still as snappy as when I bought it.

Lenovo Tab 4 Plus is the best budget tablet out there atm.

Buy the 8" version for easy reading.

>school

>The Samsung S2
How does it handle the newer apps?
does it lag?

Tablets had a great potential, only to be ruined by large screen phones.
Now the only things you can find, are """premium""" iPads, no name chink or cheap low specs.
Nexus 7/10 are the only tablets that worth getting.

I own the Tab S2 and Tab S3. While the Tab S2 is nice and light, it has no haptic feedback which is really annoying when using the keyboard. It runs about as well as you'd expect from an 8 inch tablet, but there are noticeable stutters at times.

The Tab S3 is a far better bang for dollar because you get a nice AMOLED display, larger 10 inch screen, Snapdragon 820, comes with a stylus, has haptic feedback, and still only weighs about 1 lb. The only major complaint I have is that the glass back is pretty slippery, so you'd want a thin grip skin for reading mode.

Very good. Stout tablet overall specs wise.

cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2/

If budget is no concern, they make a 9.7" model for $400. Same everything, just larger size
That or $500 for the newer S3 model.

As much as I hate Samsung phones, they really are the best choice for tablets at this time for actually doing things. iPad Pro is a fucking joke name, because the only Pro thing about it is the price. It does have top tier hardware, but iOS and the ecosystem cripple it to the point of being a baby toy.

>he hasn't used iPad Pro
>he's unironically defending the flaming pile of garbage that is Android on tablets
Kek, apart from lack of file management the iPads are more or less perfect.

I own an iPad Pro. It's been sitting unused for about a week since I bought it. I'm considering returning it.

Best thing about it by far is the speakers, but I'm not tryin to watch movies on tablet speakers when I have my 65 inch TV and surround sound.

> actually reading your textbooks you had to buy or rent

Actually, forget that
> actually getting textbooks

Google words and find a pdf. If you can't find it, better fucking guess. Done that a few times and still passed.

>Done that a few times and still passed
Not everyone goes to a community college, my man.

If the education you take doesn't challenge you, move on to harder things.
If you mean passing as barely passing, take it seriously. This mentality is why people get asked for a fizzbuzz when they get hired.
There is always more to learn.

>they really are the best choice for tablets
Since when?

I'm not a handlet but why do 7inch tablets get so much hate? They are perfect to carry around and consume media.

A modern 7 incher with decent hardware and full HD OLED would be god tier.

Since the Nexus 9 was discontinued

Mostly because phones are so big they're encroaching on 7 inch tablet territory these days. Also the 16:9 aspect is bad for reading.

And you think touchwiz is good?

It's godawful. Improved over time, but still godawful. And the launcher can be swapped out unlike iOS, and a lot of the Samshit services gutted.

We have 6.3" phones now.

>Samshit services gutted
Newer models can't be rooted.

My 8 inch Tab S2 was comfy as hell. It was 4:3 tho.

I had to replace it with a P580 for the S pen meme. Fucking thing doesn't properly fit my bad and weighs a ton.

Apple still requires proprietary software or cloud services to move data from one device to another in TYOOL 2017

I used a 7" poopy tablet for Scanned notes and assignments, now use a Kindle mainly to read text heavy books.
Books are comfy on eink (when it's only text), pictures ofc don't have color and pdfs to mobi converts are still not very good. Not an apple shill but get an iPad, or a cheap android tab + Kindle paperwhite or equivalent. Sup Forums hates Kindle but just keep it on airplane mode forever, download and convert and copy shit using Calibre on PC, and it'll be fine. Battery life is phenomenal with eink devices.

Google just gave up on the tablet market unfortunately, so it's pretty much Samsung or Apple if you want quality hardware and not Shenzhen flash-in-the-pan devices like Lenovo and Huawei are pumping out.

can you read manga and doujins on those?

What exactly is wrong with Huawei tablets? I was planning to get one before 2018.

If you were the one talking about TouchWiz, then you won't like Huawei's EMUI much better. Also they need to up their quality control game a bit more. They're getting there, but I've had some rough encounters with Honor phones fizzing out.

>Huawei
What's wrong with huawei?

see

For what it's worth I'd still take Huawei over Xiaomi any day of the week.

>tfw no decent tablet at decent price

How's the performance of newer versions of android on older devices?

For health reasons, it's better to read on an ebook right? Reading 1000s of pages of small text from a blue light screen for hours a night can't be good for your eyes.

>blue light screen for hours a night can't be good for your eyes.
You believe that?

fnf ifive mini 4s

Well, yeah. I get eye strain if I'm on my comp until early hours of the morning.

And it can't be cause by the long time of looking at small letters at 30cm distance instead of certain color?

You have no conception of how long one second is

Chinkshit 13" android tablets are ideal for pdf reading. MuPDF reader is the fastest viewer I've found.

>13"
Isn't it a little bit too large?
>MuPDF
Second that.

Short answer yes. Long answer no.

It doesn't happen when I read books. Also, it's not the fact that the light is blue I was just using that to distinguish between monitors and eink.

Perfect size to read at desk distance. pic related.

Buy a 10 inch tablet

But the nexus 7 2013 is 1920x1200, 16:10.

Does it worth buying

>dat sharpie
How's the performance of the chink tablet?

True. Comics and pdf are not readable under 10 inches.

Three guesses what's even better to read "at desk distance", Einstein.

>Comics and pdf are not readable under 10 inches
How ?
I've been reading comics on 7 inches tablet with no issues.

any specific chinks, user?

why?

trekstor surftab theatre 13.3 looks good.

>trekstor surftab theatre 13.3
fuck, too expensive for me. Anything less than $50 ?

How do i know a chinktab is good from it's spec?
Also what version of android is this?

Go for a cheap apple tablet. I still have a paperwhite, a kobo aura h20, and an apple tablet. Paperwhite and kobo aura h20 are basically the same thing with kobo being slightly bigger with more choice of formats. Paperwhite is definately better in design though. There is a giant ass bezel that elevates higher than the screen on the paper white and virtually stops any kinda of scratches on it. There are already a ton of scratches on my kobo.

If you are going for a huge textbook, get a cheap tablet or something. The colors help and the screen is actually big enough.