/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Asus Zenfone 4 family hands-on
gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_4_hands_on-review-1661.php

Google Pixel 2 specs leak
gsmarena.com/rumor_details_the_google_pixel_2_specs-news-27485.php

Sony exec: next-gen Xperias to have bezel-less design
gsmarena.com/next_gen_xperias_bezelless_design-news-27474.php

Galaxy A5 and A7 (2018): fingerprint reader below the camera, Infinity Display
gsmarena.com/galaxy_a5_2018_fingerprint_reader_below_the_camera-news-27454.php

Nokia Android Smartphones can't be unlocked
twitter.com/sarvikas/status/910421837661790208

Sony confirms plans for a new flagship with completely new design
indianexpress.com/article/technology/mobile-tabs/sonys-next-generation-smartphone-will-have-completely-new-design/

iPhone 8 Plus vs Galaxy Note 8 Speed Test
youtu.be/8kpD3XCp49o

old

Other urls found in this thread:

displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note8_ShootOut_100.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=UHtS5AgzWC0&t=3m17s
sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing
gsmarena.com/lg_g6_samsung_galaxy_s8_sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1612p3.php
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/28/16378560/lg-v30-verizon-att-tmobile-sprint-release-date
scmp.com/lifestyle/article/2110288/review-lg-v30-phone-superb-photos-and-gorgeous-display-top-hard-beat
t3.com/reviews/lg-v30-review
forbes.com/sites/scottkramer/2017/09/08/lgs-upcoming-v30-may-be-its-best-smartphone-yet/#6c1f890434cb
techspot.com/news/70786-lg-v30-hands-believe-hype.html
androidheadlines.com/2017/09/report-lg-v30s-screen-exhibiting-color-imbalance-issues.html
businesskorea.co.kr/english/news/ict/19433-due-oled-characteristics-lg-v30-users-complain-about-uneven-color-displays
frequencycheck.com/models/vDr0R/zte-nubia-z17-mini-standard-edition-dual-sim-td-lte-nx569j
support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3308/~/what-kind-of-phone-can-i-activate-as-byod?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for anime

Why aren't the big phone makers capable of putting 4k screens into their phones yet. The only one doing it is Sony and they've been doing it for a while now. Considering they can all record in 4k but not play it back it feels useless. The note 8 looks like a really nice phone and I'd get it in a heartbeat if it was a 4k screen. But yet they keep sticking to their stupid mega HD or whatever they call it, why have a phablet when there's better phone screens out there?

Mobile GPUs are barely powerful enough to run the OS animations at 1440p.

They simply don't have the resources to run a 4k screen with ease at 60hz.

Is it possible? Sure probably if you want 2-3 hour screen on time.

Not to mention, there is no content available for it, so most of the time you're going to be viewing 1080p or 1440p anyway.

There are better places to spend money in the device, a higher quality 1440p screen is going to be a far better feature than a shitty 4k screen with washed out colors.

Yeah but running OS animations is pointless. They can just run it at 1080p like the Sony does and reserve the 4k for videos all while maintaining battery life on par with other flagships. The HDR display in the Sony makes color look amazing and it's remarkably better than Samsungs displays. It all feels useless if you care about good screen quality when it comes to other flagships.

>remarkably better than Samsungs displays
lol no no it isn't.

The XZ Premium is an IPS panel, no matter what you do it will be worse for HDR than samsung since it's using AMOLED which can get true blacks unlike that IPS panel.

Even if it's the best IPS panel in existence, i doubt it could match the Note8 or S8.

>They simply don't have the resources to run a 4k screen with ease at 60hz.
>Is it possible? Sure probably if you want 2-3 hour screen on time.
You'd think that, but it's really not the case. There's a mod to make the XZ Premium run always in 4K and it barely makes any difference in performance or battery life.

youtube.com/watch?v=UHtS5AgzWC0&t=3m17s

Go ahead and try playing some games at that res.

Oh wait, you can't because the GPU would shit itself.

>Go ahead and try playing some games
why would I do that? I'm not some retard who games on their phone

Is the xperia line actually confortable to touch / grip? They look so square.

>Mobile GPUs are barely powerful enough to run the OS animations at 1440p.
that's just samsung's touchjizz weighing the performance down. Phones like Pixel XL or G6 can easily do 1440p at smooth 60fps

Lol please don't throw the G6 in with the pixel, you're an LG shill if you actually think the G6 is anywhere close to as smooth as vanilla android.

Except it is. Instead of referring to articles online you read, just go to a store and look at the both displays and you'll see that it doesn't hold up to the 4k HDR display

see for yourself
sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing

See for yourself, shill.

I actually OWN the device, unlike you.

No no it isn't. You're functionally retarded if you think an IPS panel has better HDR than an OLED.

I owned an Xperia S for a while. Probably the only Android phone I respected.
Not too sure about the other models but the round back on mine helped with grip. The edgy sides aren't as bad as they look, actually.

While I can't agree with how expensive the iPhone 6 still is, it sure holds up surprisingly well.

The sides are rounded on most models.

it's still isn't as smooth as the other flagships

You realize OLED panels can literally turn off pixels making TRUE blacks?

IPS panels have a backlight, no matter what you do that backlight will provide some level of light making blacks look grey. no matter what you do.

OLED by pure virtue of the technology has an infinite contrast ratio, and at least on the Note8 has an average peak brightness over 600 nits.

outside of occasional micro-stuttering it 100% is.

The ONLY issue with touchwiz is the animation hiccups it has, which isn't really effecting performance more than it just looks a bit juddery when scrolling in media heavy applications or web pages. There is no actual lag in how long it takes to do these things, there is just an animation stutter while it's doing it. It's still doing the same shit the vanilla android phone is doing and just as fast as that vanilla phone, just with occasional jitter. And honestly even that is pretty rare overall.

For actual performance it's top tier.

I think I'll just go with the x compact instead of xz1 compact. The new compact is so fucking expensive again.

gsmarena.com/lg_g6_samsung_galaxy_s8_sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1612p3.php

Comparison of G6, S8, and XZ Premium

S8 is the clear winner for the display category. Stop dreaming.

t. upset gook shills

More like lying LG shills getting BTFO

>So fucking expensive
Not it's not. The specs are remarkably better

LG V30 confirmed release on all four major US carriers October 5th/6th:

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/28/16378560/lg-v30-verizon-att-tmobile-sprint-release-date

fuck yeah, it's an instabuy for me

Enjoy :^)

I'm sure you'll get bootloops in a year or so to accompany your shitty LG OLED panel.

>shitty LG OLED panel

>This switch in display tech, along with further refinement of the already slim bezels of the G6, makes the V30’s screen hands down the best LG smartphone screen ever. All colours look lush and gorgeous, especially the blacks and red
scmp.com/lifestyle/article/2110288/review-lg-v30-phone-superb-photos-and-gorgeous-display-top-hard-beat

>Okay, the next thing you'll notice is that brilliant 6-inch screen. LG has switched to using OLED panels, and the result is fantastic
t3.com/reviews/lg-v30-review

>the V30 has a vibrant screen. It’s the best one I’ve seen on an LG phone yet. Colors are intense while blacks are pitch dark. Photos truly pop. This makes looking at photos and videos a pleasure.
forbes.com/sites/scottkramer/2017/09/08/lgs-upcoming-v30-may-be-its-best-smartphone-yet/#6c1f890434cb

>For me, the six-inch, Quad HD+ display (2880 x 1440) is one of the handset’s best elements. The colors look bright and vivid, almost popping off the screen – watching HDR YouTube content on it is breathtaking.
>I’ve found the contrast between black and white makes reading text so good that I’m now using the V30 instead of my iPad Air 2 to peruse web articles. The phone's screen trounces my Galaxy S7 Edge, and while I only compared the two briefly, I also preferred it to the S8+.
techspot.com/news/70786-lg-v30-hands-believe-hype.html

androidheadlines.com/2017/09/report-lg-v30s-screen-exhibiting-color-imbalance-issues.html

businesskorea.co.kr/english/news/ict/19433-due-oled-characteristics-lg-v30-users-complain-about-uneven-color-displays

>the current state of affairs is somewhat similar to complaints about screen imbalance issues on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus which Samsung debuted earlier this year
I guess the S8 has a shitty display too then :^)

You're willing to blow your load and get up in arms for this OLED display, yet it still can't play back the recorded 4k video...

Nope, LG's issue with unevenness. Samsung simply made their red pixel larger and having a smaller green pixel evens it out.

samsung makes the best smartphone panels period. And has for years. It's why apple's iPhone X is using a Samsung OLED not LG or someone else.

Do you realize how small the pixels will be on a 6-inch 4K screen? Literally the size of a red blood cell. You simply can't see them no matter what. Sony is doing it for bragging rights and marketing. Recording at 4K is dumb too, but makes more sense because you can always zoom in.

Everyone is complimenting LGs V30 display while also admitting that Samsung still has the edge. I literally don't give a fuck, as long as it looks good.

In normal lighting conditions it should look fine unless you're comparing directly to a current generation samsung OLED.

However in dark lighting, if you're more sensitive you'll start to notice unevenness.

S8 or S8+ is a better cheaper alternative for most people.

Had a Lumia 920 until now, switched to Nokia 3 since WP is as dead as it gets.

Gotta say, this is my first time I am using Android and I am not really impressed so far.

>S8 or S8+ is a better cheaper alternative for most people.
For a marginally better display. Luckily there are other aspects to a phone to consider.

what did you expect from a budget phone?

It's not the phone itself, I am not impressed by Android as an OS in general. Considering all the massive hype and 24/7 shilling, I expected so much more from it.

Sure, like chipset, long term manufacturer updates, build quality, etc.

Samsung wins or ties in all of em.

Samsung has a better track record for android updates (they might take longer, but samsung releases them longer than LG does). Samsung also doesn't have a HORRENDOUS bootloop and IPS image retention hardware issues which have been happening for 4+ generations of LG flagships.

Which smartphone is the best?
IPhone x
Note 8
V30
S8

well the Nokia 3 has "pure" android on it, so no bloatware or extra features other than what Google offers. Some people would consider that to be a benefit but for some it can be a bit bare bones and lacking in features. But for most stuff you can find an app in the app store.

Note8 or iPhone X

If you're poor the S8/S8+

The V30 is stuck in the middle, its new so it's expensive, and the only real advantage it has over the S8 or S8+ is the fact it isn't samsung.

If you're such a child that you can't customize your phone and will throw a hissy fit if you have to use touchwiz, then sure the V30 might be better for you.

But thankfully most people aren't man children.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it has pure Android on it. It really fucking pisses me off how other manufacturers just put their garbage on top of it so I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am just saying that I don't understand all the hype for Android, coming from WP at least. All I really gained from switching is more apps so far and that's it.

well I'm the opposite. I had to use a windows phone a few times as a lender when my phone was broken or lost, and I absolutely hated it. there just was so many limitations on what you could do. Like, from what I remember there even wasn't a simple file manager.

why are samsung emojis so terrible baka desu

Yeet I can trade my Pixel XL to google for 400 bucks to get the Pixel 2 XL for 449 plus tax

How's the nokia 8?

>Like, from what I remember there even wasn't a simple file manager.
They added one later on which was decent.

I just broke my Moto X2 by throwing it on the ground, is it worth repairing it for 99$?

Anons of /spg/, we often talk about what the best phones are, but have you ever thought about the worst phone you've ever owned?

I'm gonna go for an easy one here. LG G4. Piece of shit started bootlooping a week outside the warranty period. First and last LG product for me.

I seriously can't decide if I should grab a honor 8 lite for 75£
I am all confused.

>by throwing it on the ground
welcome to Sup Forums erber kids

my father needs new dumb phone
whats the cheapest one

Does it still fit your needs or do you want a new one?
Motorola released a bunch of phones lately around the X pricepoint

great

cheap german ALDI phone, my sister had this one and I had a slightly "better" one. I don't know where to start

>despite a Snapdragon 200 it's slower than ANY phone I've used or seen, including bottom of the barrel budget devices from 2010, I tried it out again today and it's slower than a Galaxy Ace from 2011 which has way worse specs
>It's 4.0, they promised a 4.1 update, it even claimed in their advertisements it has 4.1, but it never recieved ANY update, stucked on 4.0 forever since no custom ROM support
From that on rule number one is never to buy unknown or obscure phones, bad drivers, no support and black on white lying

My dad said he won't buy a new phone for me

Anyone knows if the nubia z17 mini supports band2?

frequencycheck.com/models/vDr0R/zte-nubia-z17-mini-standard-edition-dual-sim-td-lte-nx569j

All the phones I've personally owned have been good, but the worst phone I've used is a Galaxy J3. It's my work phone and has god knows what installed on it. Whatever it is, the phone is painfully slow and laggy.

I'd like to think this is the fault of whatever software my employer is using on it, but I suspect Samsung has a hand in it too.

Thank you user, seems like it won't work with the carriers here.

Anyone here actually have a Nokia 6? It looks good to me, but many reviews are mixed.

>Custom Binary block by FRP lock
welp
how fucked am I?

Hello! So i've been looking for a little while and want to replace my iPhone 6. i've had it for almost three years and replaced the battery on it once. I live in Germany now, but since i'm in the Army, i typically go back home every once in a while on leave. I have Verizon back in the states. I don't really have a budget, I just want something to suit my needs. I listen to a lot of music, and I want to be able to transfer music from multiple sources. I use many computers and download from a lot of places so id prefer if they played nicely together. I like the LG G5! I also like xiaomi products but they don't support 4G over here. Any suggestions?

apparently my verizon (i535) galaxy s3 can use GSM
I don't have a sim card to test this, but it's not lying to me, right?

Nokia 5?
It's fairly decently priced here in bongland, and it seems to be a pretty sturdy phone which is rather important to me. Anyone found any blaring issues with it, or own and enjoy one?

Recommend a chink phone around $100 (preferably less) to throw on FreedomPop. I live in burger. Ty. Pls respond.

>trading in your phone after a year

support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3308/~/what-kind-of-phone-can-i-activate-as-byod?

Alcatel Pixi 4. I bought it as a temporary replacement for my Galaxy S6 (which was stolen) until the S8 came out. Sure it ran Marshmallow, and it only cost me $70 unlocked, but oh boy was it bad.

>Only 1 GB of RAM, could not run more than one or two apps at a time
>Very limited viewing angles, screen had to be held in a certain sweet spot or it would just wash out
>Touch sensitivity was very poor, phone would miss about one out of 8 taps, which was annoying when typing
>All kinds of preinstalled bloatware taxing the RAM even further, no custom ROMs really so you can never get away from it
>Call quality was muffled and generally poor, people on the other end would comment that they could hear a lot of background noise or that I wasn't coming through clearly
>Camera was unmitigated garbage in anything other than perfect light
>Charging was balls slow, 4 hours for a 2000 MaH battery, standby battery life was good but SOT was very poor generally

I honestly would have preferred to use my old Galaxy S if I still had it (I sell all my old phones as soon as I get new ones). While the OS would have been very out of date compared to my Alcatel, it did almost everything else far better.

What the fuck for?

You can't see that shit unless you've got a microscope held up to the display. Fuck, there's no reason to use a 1440p phone unless you're doing VR shit all the time.

>that no root feel

Feels fine to me, I haven't root a phone since my OG DroidX back in 2010.

I miss no gapps. To a lesser degree I miss the ability to remove carrier apps, too.

package disabler pro

Cause the XL 2 is significantly better than the original. Dem small bezels tho

>They simply don't have the resources to run a 4k screen with ease at 60hz.
I would gladly take 1440p or even 1080p if android screens were 120hz. I wonder why no oems are jumping on this yet before Apple puts it in their phones.

Hands down, without question, the Nexus 6P is the worst phone I have ever owned. Where do I even fucking begin...

>Overall poor case durability, scuffs and scratches started accumulating after only a month of pretty light use
>Stupidly fragile screen that broke if you looked at it the wrong way. Replaced the screen twice despite never having dropped the phone
>Consistently overheats and throttles like crazy, meaning the supposedly flagship-level phone is slowing down constantly
>After update to Nougat, battery life went to shit, lost between 30-40 minutes of SOT. Google and Huawei NEVER fixed this
>Also after Nougat update, phone began dying at 10% battery remaining, then 20%, eventually 30%
>All this time I am praying that the thing does not start to bootloop, which of course it does this past August, rendering it completely useless

This phone has been an absolute, unmitigated disaster, and I really regret buying it. For stupid reasons, too; my girlfriend at the time was Chinese and would constantly shill hard for Huawei. She bought a 6P, I used it for a bit and it seemed alright so I drank the Chink Kool-Aid and bought one too. Last time I ever buy anything from this company or their ilk. To their credit, Google (but not Huawei) has fessed up and is sending me a free Pixel XL as a replacement, although apparently Canadian customers only get a 32 GB replacement unit regardless of which 6P they had (I had a 64 GB), so maybe there are more disappointments on the way.

On another note, I have gone back to using my old Blackberry Classic as a backup phone wile I await the new Pixel. I have to say that the Classic is probably the BEST phone I've ever used: good build quality, durable materials, great battery life (easily 2 days' worth of usage), and dat keyboard. I am actually thinking of selling the Pixel XL when it arrives and getting a KeyOne instead. Thoughts?

>$800-ish
A little out of my range, but fuck it, I'm in. It undercuts both the Note 8 and the iPhone X. If it weren't for the screen issues, I would say this is the best no-compromises smartphone of this year.

The newer Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 will have more global band support or should have it already or you can go with Xiaomi's Mi A1.

I'd wait until you're back in the US to get a phone. A lot of non-US phones won't work on Verizon

>5310
I cum

Oneplus 5 vs Pixel 2

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD ROMS FOR THE SAMSUNG J2-2000BT
WHAT

I'm looking for a flip phone that runs android and has okay specs, enough to run a game like pokemon go. Right now I'm looking at Samsung Folder 2 and it seems like my best choice. Any suggestions?

I feel like these were good phones let down by poor manufacturing. But the 6P has definitely frustrated me a lot. I am on my second unit.

Nexus 6P user, how did you get your replacement? Was it still within warranty? When mine originally failed inside the warranty period, I had to go through Huawei, Google wouldn't deal with me. Then when the second one started to act all weird (battery drain, random shutdowns) I was told that it was out of warranty, go fuck yourself.

what

What? I'm asking suggestions for android based flip phones.

So my Nexus 6p has only done the early shutdown twice in the last couple months, but I have one month of Nexus Protect left and would like to get it replaced with a Pixel XL.
Has google been testing the 6ps they get back?
I know other people sent back perfectly working phones for the free upgrade. Have they been charged since then?
I just don't want to get charged later because they didn't find anything wrong with it.

Should I update my iphone 6 to 11.0.1? Ive heard some things about it and wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. Haven't updated this thing in forever desu but lately I feel like I should get it done just so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Why flip?

Flip phones are an Asian niche product, and 98% of the time will not have the proper bands to support LTE in the US & Canada. If you're Europoor you might have better luck.

I prefer that layout, cute, and will encourage me to use social media less. The main incentive for me is to use social media less, I would like to switch to a simple flip phone but I rely on GPS navigation every day and it would suck to sacrifice that. But I did read that the alcatel go flip has GPS but I can't find anywhere of it being used for navigation.

>SAMSUNG J2-2000BT
>540 x 960 pixels
toss that shit in the garbage user

>I prefer that layout, cute, and will encourage me to use social media less

Layout? The screen layout is the same but with a less durable flip mechanism and smaller screen.
Cute? Ok.
Use social media less? Why would a flip phone decrease you cravings for clicking on social media? You can install apps that restrict social media access on any phone.

ZTE Cymal-T
Specs might not be good, but it's cheap as fuck and has us lte.

Whoops, cymbal-t. Wasn't paying attention.

Help what do note 3 is draining batteries super quick and overheats like crazy and even heats up when off
What causes this issue