Can someone explain to me how processor works? I mean how the hell it makes calculations? it's just a piece of silicon

can someone explain to me how processor works? I mean how the hell it makes calculations? it's just a piece of silicon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UsK5KV1FPmA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS
youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor_count
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/05/man-makes-giant-homemade-computer-to-play-tetris/
youtube.com/channel/UCS0N5baNlQWJCUrhCEo8WlA
youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA
datamath.org/Story/Intel.htm
nand2tetris.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A CPU is just a rock that we tricked into thinking

But how?

By putting lightning in it.

math is just formal logic. Formal logic consits of IF then, If not then and statements of the like. Such statements can be expressd as current flowing or not flowing under certain conditions. Circuits that can express these statements are called logic gates. A processor is just a bunch of logic gates and some memory to store answers of calculations.

I'll also like to know it. Is there some good playlist or series on youtube or any torrent of a video series that is exceptional on teaching these things?

I have a better question. Why do millenials always ask for videos? When was the last time someone on earth has asked for an academic source?

youtube.com/watch?v=UsK5KV1FPmA

k.

look up logic gates

basically this

logic gates are used to building blocks like ALUs, which perform calculations, and registers, which can store the values used in those calculations

a logic gate is however just a symbol that represents an operation, and can be translated into a real device in many ways, using mechanical, electro-mechanical, or semiconductor devices.

even with semiconductor devices, you have many ways of implementing logic gates, the most common being CMOS logic

the CMOS wiki page is a good read if you are interested:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

Just look up how transistors work.

a fuck-ton of those ≈ a processor

not enough attention span to focus on a book

>can someone explain to me how processor works?
people have a general idea
but still don't actually know

>you're now aware that modern technology is just lost technology from before the last ice age
>cucks believe it's alien tech, top kek
>reality is humans have been intelligent (even moreso than they are today) for tens of thousands of years ago, believed to be roughly 30k years ago
>humans are greedy and retarded though, and they eventually contracted (likely)the spanish flu, which killed everyone but the most remote living tribesmen, bcos of globalization and helicopters, and greed mostly
there, enjoy your newfound knowledge of humans history, and accept the fact that the tech they had was vastly superior to the shit they're releasing, while the bastards who reverse engineered this tech are milking consumers of with these constant dribble drops of barely even legal yearly "upgrades" that aren't shit.

Because academic sources are nine times out of ten behind a paywall and it's easier to understand something when you're listening and seeing something vs reading for most people.

Fuck me you sound like an obnoxious prick. "I only get my information from the best academic journals, as is fitting of my superior intellect". Fuck off.

BUT HOW THE FUCK DO THE ENGINEERS GET DOWN TO SUCH A TINY LEVEL AND BUILD THE LOGIC GATES

Like you cant even see it with your eyes or solder it?? What do they use to build the logic gates at such a tiny level, maybe you can see with a microscope? But how do you adjust things, what tools do you even use?

The absolute state of millenials

It's just a bunch of transistors. Transistors are made of silicon doped with other elements.

They use chemistry, photonics and magic for the actual manufacturing process.

t. soon to be master in ECE

youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8

Here's a giant processor that you can walk around and see how it works.

>Magic
That's what it seems like desu
Looking at the old computers that filled rooms at least you could tell whats happening with the cabling but is there any video showing what the transistors look like or the actual manufacturing process??

Shit seems so undercover they never really explain it, not even at CS courses it's just basic explanations about the arithmetic unit/register, ram etc. I want to know how it physically works and is built.

How do the "electricians" scale it down so much? Is there an up close view of an actual modern processor somewhere

Same thing with internet in cables how the fuck does the physical layer ACTUALLY work

all that evidence of past civilizations capable of flight is just ancient aliens
and people totally managed to travel through the coldest region on earth during a fucking ice age in order to traverse to another continent, no way are all those depictions of helicopters/space shuttles anything but coincidence.
and those markings in the land of creatures which can only be viewed from the sky?
those were definitely aliens, no way could humanity have been cucked into slavery after greedy elites with crispr like science techniques culled the masses with altered diseases meant to kill them off while then using their advanced tech to enslave the remove living tribes people unaffected by the mass murder which happened.

>How do the "electricians" scale it down so much
Because you can draw tiny pictures using silicon and if you draw them right you can make a working transistor, and a fuckload of transistors is a CPU. The smaller you can draw the transistors the more of them you can fit onto a chip.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor_count

>Is there an up close view of an actual modern processor somewhere
There might be, but they're built to be as compact as possible, and in layers, and by this point the thickness of the pathways that make the circuits are too small to see with the naked eye. I'm not sure you'd see anything particularly useful.

They use stencils to carve tiny paths on silicon wafers and pour copper in them to connect the components.

are you retarded? It's no difficult to understand.

Basically, at its most primitive, you run electric current trough the chip as a series of millions of little rhythmical pulses, and the processor then sees the pulses as software commands and executes them.

1. design circuit in CAD software
2. translate circuit into the equivalent silicon pieces that are needed
3. use chemical deposition to build the 'marble' and lasers to 'sculpt' it

>all that evidence of past civilizations capable of flight
>no way are all those depictions of helicopters/space shuttles anything but coincidence.
>all that
>all those

>Implying its simple
Explain it then...

>Chemical deposition
Anything more on this process? Videos, pictures, papers

are you?
it's all still just a theory, might as well be accepted as magic until the current theories can be proven.

Because I'm not paying thousands of dollars for academic journal subscriptions that my tax dollars subsidize.

How old are you?
Are you a smelly boomer?

Why do manufacturers not just make bigger chips when there are difficulties in fitting more transistors onto a standard chip? Is it because of the costs of reworking the assembly line or something to do with heat dissipation?

Have a look at this user, maybe you'll find it interesting:
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/05/man-makes-giant-homemade-computer-to-play-tetris/

>actual manufacturing process
there are videos on the net which show this, and a decumentary which details the current leading theory as to how a pc works all in the same 45 minute video which i'm far too lazy to search then link you with as i have forgotten the name of the vid.

>CS courses
that's because compsci is a scam for retards to become endebted to schools for tens of thousands of dollars to become code monkies whos knowledge/degree will be worthless in under half a decade...
gender and religious studies are more profitable than CS degrees.

fuck off to reddit

>all that evidence of past civilizations capable of flight
r-right haha, sure

where can I read more of this

Minecraft actually allows you to make logic gates with redstone in the game. It's pretty neat.

There's a lack of good written concise material now imo.
I think it's because anyone can throw anything into a book and I don't find it worthwhile to buy books for trivial topics. Like if I had the question OP has. Of course his question is very broad but if we consider the more narrow view that we expect from a moron it's not a tough question to answer.
The best answers to this might actually be in a video.

It's a very basic feature of any logical system. You'll find it all over if you look for it.

youtube.com/channel/UCS0N5baNlQWJCUrhCEo8WlA

where are her eyebrows

youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA

datamath.org/Story/Intel.htm

>t. NEET

It is just a piece of silicon
With good metals in it that is placed smartly well to do its purpose

Chemical deposition in the case of making processors works kinda like this
>stencil out circuitry on silicon with a protective coating on it
>lasers remove the coating where the circuitry will be
>silicon is hit with acid to etch the surface
Now you have a wafer with paths but no copper, heres the actual chemical deposition part
>cover silicon with a special liquid with fine particulates of copper in it
>heat and otherwise treat to evaporate the liquid and leave behind the copper
>silicon wafer now has etched pathways filled with copper
>polish to an even surface to get rid of surface copper and crossed traces

Its because at a certain scale you start to fight with yields, a big die is hard to make, you get less total dies per wafer slice and if there are any failed dies they take up a lot of silicon that's now waste
Its better to make multiple smaller dies, see Threadripper or Pentium D processors as an example. Instead of one big chip you have multiple smaller chips.
Then at a certain point you also start to fall into the realm of electronic latency. A signal has to be able to get from one side of the die to the other in one 'tick'. When things get too big, travel time gets longer, your signal may not be at its destination within a single tick.

So yes, our technology could give us a die the size of a dinner plate, it could be the most powerful processor known to man on paper, but unless we can make electrons go nearly as fast as the speed of light, it won't actually function.

And yeah, heat, power, etc. Its hard to cool little dies the size of a breath mint, imagine one as big as your hand.

Nobody actually knows how a modern x86 CPU works anymore. Look up sandsifter CPU fuzzer, as well as the author's talk on undocumented instruction sets.

nand2tetris.org/

Nobody is a stretch, AMD and Intel engineers know how their respective products work internally.

They add documentation years after the fact, sometimes just to highlight bugs so they can say "it's not a bug if we've finally documented it for this chip released 4 years ago".

We'll never know, but they do.
After an x86 instruction hits the decoder it's 100% black box and custom instruction sets.
Nothing is x86 since Pentium.

Because, a video involves your body more(seeing, hearing, visualising, thinking) than reading(seeing, visualising and thinking), which makes us remember the video more easily than the book.

You're confuzing millenials with Gen Z

LOL

Becauz reading that would be BORING?

>VSAUCE YAY HURR DURR MINET FIZECKS TOT ME MOAR DEN HAI SKEWL XDDD
Even Veritasium made a video about why you are fucking stupid (see "This will revolutionize education").

Real answer: most academic sources are extremely specialized and will be unlikely to give you a good overview that is understandable