Thinking of switching my home file server over to Arch. How much of a boner pain am I in for? Also...

Thinking of switching my home file server over to Arch. How much of a boner pain am I in for? Also, can we get a home server general? I haven't seen one in over a week.

Ez pz. Follow the guide and you'll be up and running in less than an hour.

I'm not talking about installing it. I'm running Arch currently on 2 of my devices. I'm talking about running it with acceptable uptime. I don't want to have to spend 4 hours a week fixing a broken server.

You'd think the FAQ entry on Arch's website explaining that it isn't for production environments or where uptime percentages are expected would be your first big clue.

How do you run Arch and assume you need to fix something 4 hours per week?

Also, even it you had a downtime of 4 hours per week, who cares if it's just for a home-server no one besides you would use anyway?

I updated openssl on my friend's Antergos install. The entire system was bricked after the 5 seconds of install time, because most applications were linked against the wrong version now.
>who even needs reverse dependencies

>install
>configure
>don't update
>profit?

>uses a retard distribution with shit packages
>had issues with packages

Any arch fork is so terrible and defeats the purpose of an updated rolling release. Just install fedora if you want something that just works

>I updated openssl
That alone should make you double and triplecheck which packages get updates as well.

Use something stable like Debian.

yeah

why do you need bleeding edge for a home server?

There's literally no reason to do this. Use Debian 9 Stretch or CentOS. Arch is for desktops, not servers.

This is coming from someone who has used Arch for servers and regrets it. I currently use it on my desktop.

Damn, even Portage can automatically check for shit like this.

Install Gentoo
Seriously, server is the best for gentoo once you set it up

Would it tell you you need to recompile your whole system?

It would end up with a lot of required rebuilds, but not the entire system, as some things may already be linked to a generic openssl version or not at all, sometimes slotting might even allow you to keep the currently installed version in parallel to the new one. You are obviously trying to express that it's incredibly painful to sit through such a long merge process, so I'll tell you, it's not. The compiler processes are set to a low priority by default, so even a load of 5.0 on a quadcore CPU doesn't render the system any less responsive. You can just let the update run in the background and continue doing your things. You people need to get off of the "muh compile times" bandwagon right now.

>rolling release
>server

>have to spend 4 hours a week fixing a broken server.
dude, how long you have been using arch 2 weeks?, only the retards who run a general upgrade daily could have problems.

>You are obviously trying to express that it's incredibly painful to sit through such a long merge process
No, I'm curious how it works on a source-based distro. Binary-based distros have their dependencies hand-written into the packages, and they usually are in a form of a minimum version of the dependency given. So a dependency breaking backwards compatibility like Openssl did recently can be problematic, especially if it's such an essential part of the system.
If the package manager is able to detect something like this it's quite impressive.

>rolling release
>server

now this comment is where you can find easily a NEET or noob, a dedicated server uses much less packages than a desktop system, kernel, basic shell and a couple of daemons, only a fucking asshole would break a server distro.

>Implying simple server shit ever sees any drastic changes that would break anything.
Desktops are where all the disasters happen.

this.

So you are saying that Debian Stable is the OS for desktops and Arch is for servers?
Mind you I run Debian Stable everywhere because I don't want "feature" updates to randomly break my system at any time.

>So you are saying that Debian Stable is the OS for desktops and Arch is for servers?
No, not at all. I'm saying shit like samba and openssh are stable as fuck on any distro running any kernel. What you usually get in an update to things like that are security patches, which even the most ineptly run distros release. On desktops, it's usually DE related stuff that breaks or graphics drivers.

Just go for Devua netinstall

I suggest you put your system on btrfs and use snapper to create regular snapshots of the system.

I have a live image on a tiny USB stick plugged in the back of the server, which allows me to easily roll back to a previous state.

I have fucked up my nextcloud instead twice already and the easy rollback has proven to be a life saver.

If you're gonna do it, check the frontpage of their site before updates. They try to warn you about some stuff that might break.

>arch on any kind of server
I hope you're being ironic user

Listen to this guy. No regrets on my side

Sauce on anime girl?

Just don't. I run arch on all my computers and I can tell you that the second some dependency does break, you're going to have to fix it manually. Just use another distro made for that sort of thing.

>None of these faggots have heard of Arch LTS.
I guess Reddit really is smarter than Sup Forums.

Just run debian for a server. It will never break.

until you update it

Use FreeNAS or unRAID like a proper patrician and leave the meme config file editing to the plebs. Use your time responsibly.

I've run the same arch machine for 6 years, I've prob spent an hour total fixing updates during that time

The fact you want to do it already means you enjoy doing unnecessary work for hours that will never pay off in the long run. What's the point of asking when you're going to do it anyway and be in the same place as before you started?