IBM Now Has More Employees in India Than in the U.S

IBM Now Has More Employees in India Than in the U.S.

IBM has shifted its center of gravity halfway around the world to India, making it a high-tech example of the globalization trends that the Trump administration has railed against.

BANGALORE, India — IBM dominated the early decades of computing with inventions like the mainframe and the floppy disk. Its offices and factories, stretching from upstate New York to Silicon Valley, were hubs of American innovation long before Microsoft or Google came along.

But over the last decade, IBM has shifted its center of gravity halfway around the world to India, making it a high-tech example of the globalization trends that the Trump administration has railed against.

Today, the company employs 130,000 people in India — about one-third of its total work force, and more than in any other country. Their work spans the entire gamut of IBM’s businesses, from managing the computing needs of global giants like AT&T and Shell to performing cutting-edge research in fields like visual search, artificial intelligence and computer vision for self-driving cars. One team is even working with the producers of Sesame Street to teach vocabulary to kindergartners in Atlanta.

Source: nytimes.com/2017/09/28/technology/ibm-india.html

Other urls found in this thread:

news.microsoft.com/facts-about-microsoft/#EmploymentInfo
microsoft.com/en-in/about/about-microsoft/our-offices.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RIP IBM.

What the fuck does IBM even do anymore?

B2B

IBM has decades of enterprise software solutions to maintain.
They probably shifted the bulk of this to India so they can free up resources in the US for research.

Indian
Bowel
Movement
t.those in the know

Just a friendly reminder that India will be a world power by 2030

>IBM
I legitimately don't know how this company still makes money. They're fucking Yahoo-tier.

mainframes? Here they get IT infrastructure contracts which are conducted really poorly

you're kidding right? they have almost an exclusivity contract with the US government and are going to build two 150~300 pflop supercomputers

I wonder how diverse their Indian headquarters are...

Probably 100% ethnicaly Indian.

I wonder what would happen if someone suggested that EU headquarters should be 100% ethnically European or atleast as much ethnically homogenous as their Indian counterpart.

This. Demand to know why there are no niggers working there.

Do mainframes still exist, or have they been replaced by racks of servers?

God damn Sup Forums really is filled with unemployed 14 year olds.

yeah they exist, you can count on your fingers how many institutions/companies use them though

And you guys keep memeing about Microsoft being a company full of poo-in-the-loos, when they have like 60% whites and 29% Asians, out of which probably half are chinks.

Pic related, Microsoft workforce stats, as they were submitted to the labour bureau last year.

>Posts US workforce stats not outsourced stats

>yfw IBM Watson is really a pack of pajeets googling answers to queries

>be IBM
>Be one of the most technologically impressive companies on the planet
>Be one of the first home computer machines
>Eventually start making super computers
>Even to the point where you're having the damn thing with an autonomous ai running off it on fucking jepordy
>Make CELL cpu just because Sony wanted something like it
>Most powerful multithreaded ppc on the planet when optimized
>Bitch and a half to optimize
>Also used in other devices for servers
>Make 5nm architecture just because
>Right after Intel goes full retard after ryzen dropped
>Go back into the IBM hermit cave for a few more years to announce the next big thing
>End up being one of the most based companies on the fucking planet of the tech industry
>Basically have 0 consumer or home presence now
>Still way ahead of where they should be
>Might just end up fucking around half the time in the process of breaking new ground each time they emerge from the darkness every few years
I'm convinced IBM is run by aliens. I just never expected them to hire POO illegal aliens to do the labor for them.

Worldwide: 124,293
USA: 73,172
India: 6,500

Sources:
news.microsoft.com/facts-about-microsoft/#EmploymentInfo

microsoft.com/en-in/about/about-microsoft/our-offices.aspx

This makes me feel bad as an American.

The needful.

Plz sir. Urgent solution needed soonest.

how does ibm make money now

They charge admission to DEDICATED DEFECATION DRIVEWAYS.

That's okay user, you could work for 1000 years in your mothers basement and never get a call back from IBM anyway.

R&D they hold so many patents that they get a cut of basically most advances in computing.

This is what happens when you let conservatives take computer science textbooks out of the public school system and replace them with bibles.

>thinking there's money to be made long term in shitty consumer hardware

Consumer hardware trends are peaky and risky. Apple might be the belle of the ball now but it only takes an up and comer to change consumer trends and they can go the way of nokia or blackberry pretty fucking fast.

That hasn't happened.

>literally solve quantum tunneling at 5NM this summer
>IBM is doing nothing

i want all the consumer whores to leave, just because you cant buy some stupid fucking slab of glass and aluminum off the store shelves with the money you earned sucking cock all summer doesn't mean IBM is irrelevant.

What's the problem here? Clearly IBM found they'd get cheaper labor in India, and expanded there. This is better for consumers and IBM.

>literally solve quantum tunneling at 5NM this summer

That's a weird way of spelling, "learning to shit in toilets by this summer"

>someone used big words that i dont understand
>haha better respond with a poop joke

kys, troglodyte

>being this much of a pseudo intellectual that you actually think quantum tunneling is not mainstream knowledge.

lmao. did babby just finish her first intro to physics class?

ibm
Mkt cap
135.75B
fb
Mkt cap
490.03B
ibm is worth less then HALF of fb is worth. yes ibm is worth less then meme jewish website with ads,

t. triggered pajeet.