I was meme'd into buying a color laser printer because the ink was supposed to be cheap but then i find out it costs...

I was meme'd into buying a color laser printer because the ink was supposed to be cheap but then i find out it costs 100 dollars to replace the black toner and 300 for the 3 colors. Can I refill these shits myself or does no brand toner work? I heard non brand ink was bad but this is TONER

Did you also know laser printers aren't suited for printing photographs? Color laser printers have no use in the home

toner doesn't dry out

Who tf prints photographs at home with a consumer printer

>cheap
But it is, user. The average toner cartridge prints 2,500 textpages while the average cartridge prints 500. That's around 2.5-3x as many pages, at only around 1.8x the price.
>printing in color
lmao
>can I refill these shits
Toner is made up of thermoadhesive plastic particulate (why a page is hot after printing from a xerox machine). Unless you're interested in inhaling plastic dust for a few weeks after opening a cartridge, best to leave it to the experts

More people than who need color printing at home for anything else

i have a cheap samsung color laser printer (pic related) and had no problems whatsoever, ive been using the cheapest toner replacements i could find (10$ per color) for several years and it's still going strong

Nobody needs a color printer. And nobody memes you into buying a color laser printer.

We told you to buy a color B/W printer, you moron.

You can buy toner refills. Non-brand cartridges are fine, but the drum quality might be poor.

Literally everyone for the last 5-7 years.

>a color B/W printer

>Did you also know laser printers aren't suited for printing photographs?
Bull. Fucking. Shit.

With LEDs replacing lasers and modern toner powder being wax based rather than plastic based you'll actually achieve better prints with a modern "laser" printer than an equivalent inkjet device. This is because the LED matrix allows a higher resolution than both laser and inkjet models and the fine toner particles allow more precision that an inkjet could hope to achieve.

What you stated was true, once. Not any more. Also, in related news, modern batteries no longer use lead, how crazy is that?

>but a LASER b/w printer
Is obviously what I meant.

>With LEDs replacing lasers

Aren't those just LED printers? He's talking about laser printers

The technology is the exact same as laser models, the only difference is the source of the light used to expose the drums. Most, if not all manufacturers will list these newer devices as laser models for the sake of simplicity. If a technology board has a hard time wrapping it's head around such a simple change, how do you think the average consumer would react?

We need an opensource printer with opensource drivers and ink catridges or toners.

Every printer on earth is shit

Hmm that makes it a bit annoying to tell what printer uses that technology. Can't seem to find any models describing it

>With LEDs replacing lasers and modern toner powder being wax based rather than plastic based you'll actually achieve better prints with a modern "laser" printer than an equivalent inkjet device
This doesn't match reality, no.

Pretty much any printer made since like 2012 uses LEDs instead of lasers because they're cheaper, more reliable, easier to fix and all around better. Bonus fact, that means the modern HP LaserJet printers use neither a laser or a jet, meaning they might as well call their printers HP SuperTurbo

The whole point of laser printers are the long lasting and cheap ink. How the fuck did you fuck that up.

Come on it's more retarded to call it a laser printer when it doesn't even use lasers anymore. Calling them LED printers would push more sales because people think it's new tech that's better

Old HPs are breddy gud. Network printers in general are what you want, USB is what has crummy drivers. There's only a handful of printer languages. You can download technical reference manuals for PCL from HP.

If you can convince a marketing division of that the go ahead. Then maybe HP can ditch their meaningless naming scheme.

Fuck HP.
>Had HP1000 Laser printer, worked great
>Transition from WinXP to Win7, HP refuse to provide driveainrs so consumers have to buy essentially the same printer again

>windows
there's your problem right there buddy

I know I know, I just don't have 100s of hours a week to get Linux working unfortunately.

I guess you bought a fuckin Canon and not a Brother
Also you change the toner every year, I got my printer from a customer and it's still his toner.

>HP refuse to provide driveainrs so consumers have to buy essentially the same printer again
PCL drivers should give you basic print functionality. Also, that was an ancient, cheap, consumer printer. How long do you expect them to support it?

>Fuck HP.
Yeah, when I said old I meant late 90s, also network only. Getting a locally attached printer these days is basically asking to be buttravaged.

No
People get regular printers to print documents