Do you have to be a literal autist to make fucking 3d models?

Do you have to be a literal autist to make fucking 3d models?
There has to be an easier way

Getting into CAD needs time. Deal with it.

I agree, but this is the truth

Engineering sucks sometimes

If you mean 3D as an engineering tool, then yes, it's autism. Deal with it.
3D as an artistic medium is more tolerable.

It's really fucking easy with Solidworks.

It's also not the worst thing in the world with Pro-E, Catia, or NX.

But in the end you do have to draw everything from scratch. I guess if that's your problem, don't be a CAD jockey, be an Engineer at a larger company that has dedicated CAD jockeys.

>3D as an artistic medium
>he probably means video games

>im a meche suspension arms are hard to make waahh
this is your brain on engineering
do something real like material science, condensed matter physics, or computer science (^:

Basically.

Whatever the heck OP is drawing could be drawn up and much more precisely modeled in Solidworks in a few hours if not less. In my experience, the same thing in Sketchup will take you days. Of course, learning Solidworks is going to require some investment in time, months or years to master, but you can become very functional with simple stuff using Youtube tutorials and doing Solidworks challenges in a matter of days or weeks.

Solidwoeks is pleb tier
It's the spiritual JavaScript equivalent of 3d software

mensa wannabe who doesn't have to pay rent yet detected.

>Engineering sucks sometimes
The sole fact that one is willing to do the grind is guaranteed money.

That's not really relevant to the thread though.

It's fucking easy to use, and and if OP needs easy to use, Solidworks is for him.

Unfortunately, a lot of not very savvy people jump into Solidworks, hang themselves with the rope it gave them, and then blame the tool.

Don't expect a ton of control over the FEA, the surfaces are not as powerful as Catia, etc. but if you know what you're doing it's fine.

Solidworks is expensive mang.
I got bored and wanted to design a buggy I had an idea about, got about that far in 3 hours or so.

>not being able to transcend money by entangling every particle in your body into electrons carrying your shitpost in the CAT5 cable

>Solidworks is expensive mang.
That's why torrents exist.

Yea, if it's not your job to do stuff like this, you're stuck with using student licenses or pirated software. Solidworks allows you to be efficient in 3D design, and that comes at a cost. If you cannot afford it, then you probably don't need the efficiency and are stuck with free tools.

> FEA

Yes, OP needs help simulating part stress and this is totally relevant.

Where does Catia excel in surface creation since SW 2016?

>free tools
Kek stay away from Free Cad, worst piece of software ever produced

I'm not really doing stress, I already know how to build something that wont break, I just want to build the base of it. Kind of put my initial ideas in, and then think about key points in the drawing later.
The main problem is that cylinders are fucking cancer and I am forced to use 16 sided tubes.

Modeling a human is a million times harder than that. Then people at Pixar Spend a year sculpting and rigging one model. Cad is a fucking breeze. Animation, rigging and modeling is a nightmare

>computer sci
>something real
toppest of all top keks

If he's designing a buggy, it's relevant whether he uses it or not. And solidworks FEA is actually pretty capable for what it is (and probably for his purposes).

I only have experience with 3d modeling game assets and people. But if you design things in 3d inevitably the mesh will end up dictating the shape of the object you're trying to model, because extruding geometric shapes is the path of least resistance and your brain will choose that path. So it'll look like ass.

Sketch things on paper then model them. That way you have already defined the shape of the object and are manipulating the mesh to represent it, rather than the other way around.

Also to answer your question: yes.

cam isn't nurbs

so whats the best free CAD software?

>Do you have to be a literal autist to make fucking 3d models?
Yes, so your future is assured.

>Solidwoeks is pleb tier
Shit how do I stop being a pleb? Solidworks is all I know.

Sup Forums - "technology"

Might want to ask that on a /diy/ stupid questions thread

ok thanks

I have about 2000 hours of CAD experience between Solidworks and Inventor. Modeling something like that pic should be pretty easy with a decent CAD package. If you don't have basic features like reflections, rotations, pattern placement, etc. then of course CAD will seem hard.

None.

Just pirate Solidworks or Autocad.

Companies that make big expensive software like that only care if you pirate it if you're making money with it. They pretty much expect students and such to pirate it otherwise and then pony up once they're established in the industry.

I'm a complete newbie and I found fusion 360 pretty good. I hate Adobe though.

It has issues of not having a good constraint solving engine (thinks something is overconstrained when it's not even in trivial circumstances), absolute shit error messages (notably, if you overconstrained something the conflict isn't presented, at all), piss poor performance given what they deliver, next to enforced use of their cloud service, lacks the obvious features for their process such as an optional timeline adjustment when you alter the sketch to fit your design.
I could go on.
It's still the best experience I've had.
I should make my own tool but time is just not on my side.

thanks for nothing

Actually yes. 3D modeling/sculpting/rigging/animation requires a high level of autism in order to make anything good. There is a board for this too by the way.

what is best tier?

Well, sketch up does have copy paste and rotating, I can get pretty far, but it's still tedious because I have a habit of perfecting joints. And working with round shit is straight fucking stupid.
I may try pirating salid works, but then I can't run it on my work computer so it looks like I'm working.

BRL CAD is the best CAD program

CAD is fucking awesome though. What are you, a dumbass?

I'm partial to OpenSCAD out of the free ones.

I worked with Solid Edge daily for years. Due to a job change I then swapped to Solidworks.

It was really easy to get into it, but damn SW sucks ass. Sheet metal, assembly and the usability are far superior in SE.

this, modelling realistic organic things is fucking hard.
1. yes, all programs have billions of tabs and buttons and shortcuts and all UIs are garbage-ish.
2. you can try sculpting in real life and then scanning the model, I never tried this and it requires special shit and you'll still have to correct shit using a 3d model editor.

Anyone have any advice on how to learn CATIA v5?

I have a license expiring soon

3D scans are fucking shite. If you want a proper part you still have to draw the model and use the scan as template.

Why do you prefer it over FreeCAD?

Probably some obscure tier software noone heard of. Always remember the Sup Forums's hivemind golden rule.
>If it's popular, it's shit

Are you a student? Autocad has free student versions, and as far as I know, they're not gimped.
You'll need a school email, though.

Many more options
3ds max
Catia
Solidedge

I'd say catia

>t.never used 3d software professionally

>math is autistic
I fucking agree. lmao

>what is best tier?
>Siemens NX
>ANSYS

What's the difference between Solid Edge and NX?

>pay rent yet
>yet
Aspire to more than paying rent, user

>never used 3d software professionally

Quite a feat I pull then, considering my job is literally 3d design at R&D

I have literally never heard of solid edge before this thread

does it have any users at all compared to NX and Catia?

You talking about sketchup or autocad

there are also jobs as Java or HTML "devs" lmao

>Y-your job is not a real one!!

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself user

I am also curious.

So what is the best software for modelling up something with "real" measurements that is intended to be a real life creation/fabrication?

I have used 3ds Max but that was mostly for messing around with vidya stuff

Sketchup is horrible to use we were made to use it in my design class its over complicated things which should be simple

3D modeling is pretty easy for the most part, just takes some time. I've have about 8 years if experience, mostly in Solidworks and Inventor.
Solidworks is my favorite software for it, but I use Inventor at work, pic related.
Pirate Solidworks if you just want to learn
I've used both Solidworks and Inventor for manufacturing design. Both are very accurate for weight estimations and most shapes or designs. Inventor has a few more quirks and doesn't seem quite as nice performance wise, but also has some features like how it handles iParts that are nice for manufacturing. It struggles with translating some flanges and bends from model to real world. Solidworks feels a bit more polished. Solidworks also seems to be more common in my industry. They are both similar enough that you can learn one and for the most part just pick up the other.