/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>View this handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount; new i3s will be old i5 equivalents
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TkRxpb
amazon.ca/dp/B01GAI6478/
amazon.ca/dp/B06W51YRVT/
amazon.ca/dp/B06X3QRQJR/
extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling
youtube.com/watch?v=DhKHAopx7D0
pcpartpicker.com/list/DwXzQV
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Nzxqjc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=price&page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for Intel can still win
inb4 wojak with blue hats

Are the new AM4 socket APU's any good?

apu-s aren't good unless you are just web browsing and consuming nongaming media.

They have alright gpu but shit cpu. Wait for whatever the Zen version is.

If you absolutely need a pc and will have the money to upgrade later sure
Honestly just save up

I'm sorry, but did Intel already lose? Oh, that's right. The market isn't even saturated yet. In fact, it's only pre-Coffee Lake. Does not having the lead before a new socket count as a loss? Is that what you're saying? Because if you're saying that I can assure you that you're wrong. Why would you make this topic when the benchmarks are still not out? Intel is still playing right now and they have been the best company in x86 for how many years now? They're facing one of the worst companies in the world who just happen to have a lead because they're feeding off the energy of Jim Keller. But you know what? They still fucking suck. Intel is one of the best fucking companies in the world, they went to Hot Chips last year and would of won the praise of many if 7700k didn't choke. Maybe you should shut the fuck up before you make retarded topics like this. You know why? Because you're going to be embarrassed when Intel wins and someone bumps this topic. Oh look at that, X399 just took the stage looking scared just like the AM4 did. Are you a fucking drunk? Are you retarded? Are you autistic? You are a fucking idiot and you should never make a topic on this board again and I'm fucking serious. I almost have a feeling you're the only guy making all these anti-Intel topics because you're a faggot hater who doesn't like the chips because they're good. Fuck you, be good at something in YOUR life and then maybe try to troll these fucking processors on the board, like I give a fuck. It's so easy to spot out your replies now, you're a retard. Always doing stupid shit like this. Why don't you try to be a good poster? Just for once? For once in your fucking life try not to make a topic like this. That's just you, you're always right at getting it wrong. Fuck you. You are nothing.

Should I buy PWM case fans or non PWM ones?

pcpartpicker.com/list/TkRxpb

I'm about to pull the trigger on this as a stylish gaming build

Didn't get an answer

What is the difference between amazon.ca/dp/B01GAI6478/ and amazon.ca/dp/B06W51YRVT/ amazon.ca/dp/B06X3QRQJR/

All basically the same price.

Rgb and stock clock speed

First one is on sale, making it the cheapest.
The difference between aftermarket cards is their coolers. A better cooler will mean a quieter overclock.

>*1 shekel has been deposited into your account*

>7700k
retard

How big a difference is stock clock speed? Is it worth the extra 20 bucks and week wait?

It's a small difference. But some have Rgb lettering so check that under the features.

most moms only have 1 pwm fan pin, for the cpu
unless you fell for the gamer motherboard meme

Also i just read through those and the second two have temp sensors on the ram and the gpu

>7700k with that cooler
Don't even try to OC that.
>NVMe drive for gaming
I won't even get mad about the RGB shit but you are just wasting money
A better cooler is only going to be useful if you overclock. Probably just get the first one (the cheapest).

There really isn't much of a difference

I can delid? And also I can't see why the nvme is something different.

Is 1080ti worth the $300 premium over the 1080?

>7700K

Don't. 8th gen is about to release.

No. They're based on Faildozer and complete trash. Wait for the Zen-based ones.

You can delid but the cooler still isn't that good. NVMe is a waste of money because its speed is not relevant to gaming and with no hard drive you should invest in higher capacity, not speed. By the way it looks like your case only supports 1 90mm fan and 1 120mm fan so reconsider that.

>Tfw want to buy Ryzen 7 but no Mini-Itx Asus board

The i 78700K and Z370 motherboards are coming out Oct 5th, wait for them. Also that CPU cooler is shit.

The first one has their old ACX cooler on it, which was a shitty housefire and replaced with iCX, which is what the second one has. The third is also iCX, but a much larger and therefore quieter cooler. For only a few bucks more, the FTW2 is the best option.

Depends on what resolution you're using.

>buying ANUS products

>tfw no high end X370 mATX boards

1080p 144hz

Looking more for longevity and possible resale later.
How is the FTW3 1080ti viewed? Also a housefire?

I've always had good luck with my Asus products. MSI cucked me a few years back

Next PC I build is going to be a full tower, fuck this

For what it's worth, my SC only hits 60c and that's on 1080p hitting 120fps with 50% fan. But I know you guys know EVERYTHING about these parts.

FTW3 is like one of the best coolers. Only Asus' Strix and EVGA's own Kingpin competes with it.

>How is the FTW3 1080ti viewed? Also a housefire?

It's mediocre. One of the loudest aftermarket 1080 Tis, though it does have the advantage of being a two slot card, whereas every other model is two and a half or three slots. It does have very good VRM cooling though.

1080 is fine then. Ti is for 4k.

That case has poor airflow.
120mm is blocked by USB and audio and the 90mm is blocked by the radiator on a 120mm cooler.

Irrelevant. VRM and memory cooling was the problem for the ACX cooler, not core cooling. And since it doesn't have any temperature sensors outside of the core, you have no idea how hot those parts are running.

Why would I worry?

extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling

youtube.com/watch?v=DhKHAopx7D0

When are the GPUs going to finally drop in prices?

Not anytime soon. Cryptomining is still booming.

In a year

Never
Volta maybe

Interesting. I'll let you know when that never happens to me

between mining and Dram shortages not any time soon

No need to be salty, bro. You don't need to defend your inanimate object to me. Just be safe, keep a fire extinguisher handy and plan your escape routes. Sending prayers your way.

What's the cheapest I would be able to pick a 1070 up for? Should I hold out for any sales? Canada btw

How's this? Wanted a blue build. for 60hz 1080p gaming.
pcpartpicker.com/list/DwXzQV

Advice on moving my PC by car (350 mile trip)?

Currently planning to wrap the tower in small bubble bubble wrap and fill up space in a box with large bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

Should I take out my GPUs? What should I check after the trip?

Is M.2 worth getting for video editing?

Take out GPU, hard drives and cooler and pack them well. Ram and ssd can take a pounding so no need to worry about them.

Get the Asus Prime B350-Plus instead. The ASCock board has a 3+3 phase VRM.

doesn't fit the build. I'd end up using the Tomahawk Arctic instead.

Pretty good.
Also you may want to do something like buy a hard drive later so you can get a 6GB 1060.
His board is fine, and name calling doesn't help your point.

M.2 is a form factor, not a protocol.
NVMe could help, but it really depends on what you do specifically. You will need to do your own research on this.

>anus mobo
lmao. nothing wrong with 3+3 phase. if anything pro4 is still in a second place after asus but that hardly matters for 6 cores.

> The ASCock board has a 3+3 phase VRM.
What's wrong with that?

>fit the build

Disgusting.

>His board is fine

His board is objectively inferior to better options on the market and being chosen solely for looks.

Yes there is. Nearly all of MSI's B350 boards and a few of Asus' have better VRM setups. Diverting a phase from the CPU, which needs to the voltage stability and power delivery, to the SOC which consumes a few watts is fucking retarded.

Fug I forgot the build

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Nzxqjc

I think I've figured it all out. Is there anything I might be missing?
1) RAM matches the QVL -Checked that
2)I've got an SSD which I'll swap for an M.2 when prices go down (do different mobos have different support for this)
3)It LOOKS like it should all fit in the case, but this is my first build so I'm not 100% on that, is NZXT a good manufacturer?
Is there a tool to check if everything fits?
4) Semi-Modular power supply looks like it will help with cable management, but I don't know much about them, are EVGA supplies good? Do they come with all the cables I need?
5) Is there any chance of a deal on the graphics card? Prices just seem to keep going up.
Thank you for all your help so far guys

Right new the cheapest 1070 you can buy in Canada is the Zotac mini at around $520 CAD in Newegg

ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=price&page=1

>Not just check PC Part Picker

SHIGGY

you already fucked up choosing a ryzen cpu with a 144hz monitor. also that ram is almost certainly hynix and won't run at rated speeds. your case doesn't have any intake fans

>better options
A motherboard is entirely up to you to choose. What features you want, its style, et cetera are not going to be the same person-to-person.

#2- M.2 is tricky. Check the specific page but you should usually be able to boot from it.
One problem is that the m.2 is right under the graphics card which is bad for taking it out and because the gumsticks are sensitive to heat.
#3- S340 should fit it all. My graphics card has room to spare.
#4 power supply quality and cable selection vary by model but my EVGA 650w fully modular came with everything I needed plus some extras.

Should I pay a bit more for G.Skill?

I chose this one because it matched my theme and was on the QVL.

Should I get an Ryzen 5 1400 or a 3 1200? I'm only going to play dota, cs and overwatch.

anybody here have experience with selling pc parts? if so how long does a used part take to sell?

if you want to run it at 3200mhz then you need samsung b-die modules

stuff like flare x, trident z. sticks rated at 3200mhz+ with constant timings (14-14-14,16-16-16, etc) are usually b-die

Ryzen isn't going to flat out prevent you from hitting 144fps, and for the price it isn't a dealbreaker. If you care get a 1440p monitor.
As for RAM B-die memory has better compatability. You mentioned checking QVL and if it says your model will run at the designed speed you should be fine.

as with everything depends on what you sell and the price

i've never had issues selling stuff on tech forums

is HWMonitor the best for temperature monitoring?

It works. All the programs do is get temps from sensors anyway.

VRM quality is not an opinion.

what tech forums do you reccomend?

ryzen is trash for high-fps in any modern game, that's an objective fact.

hardocp. i think there's only a minimum message requirement to post in the buy-sell-thread section

I already got the ryzen so that's locked in, I need it for non gaymen stuff.

Could I reach 144Hz stuff if I turned settings down and OCed to 4.0?

Is there a Ryzen-compatible MSI mobo that has the cool auto-overclock feature

yeah those ~10 less fps for half the price are seriously a big problem

So it is indeed true that 7700k is objectively better on any modern high FPS game/high-end gaming in general
I'm glad there is no counter-evidence.

Forgive that user, he surely can see the difference between 100 and 90 fps

I-I think I'll take the 10 fps hit.

user im tying to build a pc to be able to run monster hunter worlds at high what would you reccomend for me my current budget is around 300-500

"Quality" is subjective. I don't see a reason why there would be an issue, so he should be fine.
>Objective fact
Depending on the game and year it was made that varies a lot.

That isn't much to go off of. For $500 you might be looking at prebuilts on sale or used systems.

nu-uh. you obviously need delidded and overclocked to 5.0ghz i7 7740x with 280mm AIO for another extra 5 fps.
at least you won't need a heater in your room.

>Intel still wins
I see no problem
Top dollar, top performance.

should i just wait for it to release and build from there? or should i just start getting parts now?

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99)
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.99)
Memory: Team - Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($51.98)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.93)
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.99 )
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.99)
Other: GT 1030 2GB ($69.99)
this is all i found so far

>should i just wait for it to release and build from there? or should i just start getting parts now?
Is there any reason you can't wait?

This is technically correct and at least more honest than 7700k shilling even if it's ironic.

>its ok if I shill AMD
>its not if someone says anything true about Intel
Sorry nig

I built my current PC in 2012 and I think I'm due for an upgrade
One of the main reasons is I want more RAM (I only have 8gb currently), a better cpu/gpu duo (running a i5 3570k O/C@3,8GHZ and a GTX670) and a SSD (have none)

what are the bests price/performence ratio GPU/CPUs out there ?

Ryzen 1600 with gpu of your choice

I would buy intel if they had a well performing chip at s decent price that used soldering instead of thermal paste.
All these years of Intel's market share have led them to stop innovating.

>muh cherry picked graphs

the intel overclocks are underwhelming and probably gpu capped (20% oc = 3fps? ok). ryzen isn't overclocking to 4ghz unless you have a golden chip

none, they're all overpriced because of ram shortages and miners. buy a used 970

Who makes the best cases that are stylish and sturdy but don't look retarded?

im a little impatient, or just super excited so i can just jump on it.

>1060 is out performed by a 980ti
>1070 barely matches a 980ti

what did they mean by this ?

Happens every single time

>Try to pick component
>Next gen is arriving soon™
>Can't endure the wait and can't decide

How do you deal with this dilemma Sup Forums?

>mfw I see people arguing over 10fps making a difference when they're hitting 130-140
>mfw I didn't notice until yesterday that almost everything I've ever played on this non-gaming computer for the last 4 years has stuttered by on 15-20fps and I've never complained

I can't wait for this build. It'll be like when I first discovered the glory of HD channels.

they meant the 980ti has almost double the msrp of the newer cards back then