twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

S I C P
I
C
P

>tfw I went from VB to C# at my job
>Actually went from looking like VB-tan to C#-tan

learnyouahaskell.com

Why do you even want to learn functional programming user?

the little schemer + the seasoned schemer.

Not OP, but at some point I want to learn a bit of Guile for when GuixSD gets out of beta.

I wanna fuck Scala

I wanna fuck you

Bow

The fuck is this autistic bullshit

>tfw my languagefu is taller than me by 10 cm

just read this schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/HTML/

PHP Javascript lesbian/threeway masterrace here.

Are you a cute trap?

Honest question - are there any actual advantages in terms of program design/function to write code in something like Haskell instead of a "normal" language like C? Assuming we mean a normal whateverware program and not some specialty/demonstration program specifically designed for Haskell optimization?

Functional programming is more abstract for using big data for example it's better.
It's worth learning one anyway for better programming and thinking imo

Mark

>Functional programming is more abstract
>for using big data for example

>it's better.
nice buzzwords you really convinced its better

Nope

The best way to learn a technology is to use it for a project that you were going to do anyway. My first complex Clojure program was an internal tool for my job. Just pick something doable that isn't too urgent.

Functional languages are great for programs that require concurrency, since it eliminates a lot of the race conditions and bullshit that comes with manually handling threads.
It's also easy to decompose a problem into many small, testable functions, which leads to safer programs and better developer productivity.
Anything that involves data cleaning or analysis is wonderful in a functional language.
It does have some cons, though. I think functional languages aren't well-suited to large software engineering projects. If you have a formal spec, a large team, and are working from the top-down, then mature object-oriented languages are a better fit.
Interfacing with external code functionally can also be a pain. Programs that are 80% calls to graphics or networking libraries aren't worth writing functionally.

Nope

Pick any functional programming language and keep using it. You'll eventually master it.
Which FP language you choose is irrelevant. I recommend one with proper library support like Scala, F#, Clojure or Haskell.

I tried Haskell a few years ago and really enjoyed it but had issues when trying to get into GUI programming with it.

Are there any notable examples of Haskell GUI programs? If so; what libraries are recommended to make a GUI program with Haskell.

Thanks.

Haskell is an academic circlejerk