Can a Highschool student with a 2.0 GPA get a job in Computer Sci?

?

No but you can always try IT.
Someone has to answer on the helpdesk.

oh I just realized how retarded I wrote this thread.

I meant if I graduate with a 2.0 GPA is there a chance for me to go to college, get a sci degree, and then get a job in the field?

I'm senior, 18.

>sci degree
>2.0
Pick one

why do you think you got such low grades in HS? there are a lot of schools that take that low, but generally a community college -> 4 year is best for this sort of thing. don't expect computer science classes to transfer, but if you check the website of the local school (CC and local 4 years tend to have great relationships), and meet with your CC counselor, you can take classes that will mostly transfer. These will probably just be math and gen eds.

contd. also make sure to program on your own before you get there! if you don't have a passion for it on your own it's gonna be rough sailing to get through the classes with good grades once you get to the 4 year

Well,
depression
autism
learning disability
etc

I'm not a complete retard, I'm a very capable person. I've actually started doing a ton better, but I fucked up a lot throughout 9th - 11th. I don't owe any credits or anything, because I made that all up.
I consider myself decent at Python, and I'm starting to get into C++.

I feel you. I'm 26 and only now starting to feel I really have my mental health under control, years of therapy/meds but it was worth it in the end. Best of luck user, make sure to take advantage of the disability resource center of whichever school you end up at, they can be very accommodating and understanding

It's not going to get easier if you're getting your university education outside of a diploma mill.

I don't know how American education works. Can't you just do an entry test somewhere for a few 100$'s that proves you're on a certain level of mastery of highschool level stuff? It's very important in university stem degrees to be smarter than average and good at math otherwise your life will be horrid. computer science does require a very decent level of math otherwise you're just going to fail classes like linear algebra over and over if your uni has any kind of standards.

Yes. GPA doesn't tell much. Its how hard you try and what you can learn by yourself.

yes, go to community college and transfer to a 4 year. You have to try in CC and keep a good GPA though.

I was in your exact same postion and here's the only advice I can give. I went to CC and got pretty much the same grades as b4, which caused me to lose my financial aid. Took me 3 years to get like 30 credits, because I failed a bunch of classes due to missing homeworks and projects that were mandatory. The only thing that helped me was that I got put on probation so I basically had to only work for a year. A year being in takeout of a restaurant pretty much made me realize unless I joined the army or police or some other shit like that, that I would be in for a life of misery. I gained motivation for school after I was forced to pay for the classes myself. When I went back I pretty much got A's and B's then transferred over to the university that accepts anyone who got a degree from the CC.

The advice I would give is you need structure and motivation yourself in order for it to work.

Even the guy who makes fries at Burger King can. And probably do a better job than some of the cs grads I have seen

I was sort of similar, but not quite as low

I had a 35 ACT and a ~2.99

After going for one year to a not-so-amazing school and getting pretty good grades, I applied to transfer and got into a top 25

Keep trying, do well in classes next time around, and apply everywhere to transfer

probly not

This. Although there are other ways like getting a job with a cable provider and they basically offer classes to learn more about computer sci

idk about OP but I had a 2.3 gpa in high school because I did not give a shit about any of it and did none of my homework. Currently majoring in computer engineering with a 3.7gpa. I did have a 35 on the ACT though so that made it a lot easier to get accepted to uni.

job yeah, but forget degrees, I am retard that can only do programming, I failed or almost failed most other subjects in HS (low score in math, pretty good score in physics and top score in programming).
I would have never gotten into uni and even if I did, they have other subjects which I just cant be bothered to study or learn
I studied on my own, done freelance jobs, then I was lucky and through connections got a job as a dev in an average sized company, (still done the interview and everything, though they knew I know my stuff because I worked for them as a freelancer before).

Its not easy but possible

no your to stupid hahah 2.0 gpa go be a janitor

>decent at python

What's your github?

go to local Macdonalds, that is your deserved destination

If you've got a shitty academic record, then your only option is to spend a few years in a small but proven software company earning next to nothing.

This is the long journey - op you need a near death experience to change your life.

Try to go to a orthodox monastery with a mystic aura and ask them to teach you the Divine contemplation - you will reach a state of mind that will force a change of mind, alternatively and much quicker are drugs sessions like ayahuasca, try to find a shaman that is reviewed for guiding people trough the process, alternatively there is holotrphic breath developed by Stanislav Grof and his wife, in USA there are centers that host sessions find one, go do it and change your life.

Your brain will have no reason to change otherwise unless you treat your problem mechanically and really try hard with study and philosophy to have a sudden change.

Priceless. Listen to this, user.

>just destroy your brain with drugs so you'll get so retarded you won't care anymore

why would they take you

Go to a community college and transfer out

Grades are often about attitude, my grades in highschool are similar to what I get in college, which is between 75-80% on average. Most of the time I just study about enough to be approved tbqh. I should step the fuck up.

Im a high school dropout and I program I just said I finished college and highschool. It really doesnt fucking matter what grades you get.

You need one session and it can be done with LSD, psilocybin , DMT - there are multiple scientific papers none of them destroy your brain, contrary long term use of psilocybin causes increase in neuron growth.

Tho he needs to do it in a clinic and I'm not sure if there are such anymore it used to be backed up by USA government for decades, I think nowadays he has to use breathing techniques

Get into a cc if you are not already in one. Tbh if you really put your best you will get a cs job. Maybe not a fancy but good jobs.

But i feel like you have deeper seated issues than highschool grades like motivation, lack of structure in your life

>Grades are often about attitude
american education

I have so much regret over standardized testing
>take grades seriously and have a 4.4 GPA (AP and IB classes were on a 5 scale)
>have IB diploma
>get only a 27 on ACT
>find out if I had 28+ my college would've given me scholarship money
If I have a kid at least I can force his ass to get a good test score and maybe a few AP classes.
IB is a meme and should end though.

>Grades are often about attitude, my grades in highschool are similar to what I get in college, which is between 75-80% on average. Most of the time I just study about enough to be approved tbqh. I should step the fuck up.
>be bad at school my whole life
>no matter how much I try I still fail
>going nowhere in college
I'll never understand how people like you can do this, but more power to you.

Just don't think about it, I always cheated the system - literally did not give a fuck, self-studied everything - went to shitty highschool, transferred next year because I tried hard to kiss the ass of teachers and ignored everyone... I finished a top highschool but I swear to God it was shittier than the medium tier highschool I landed in at first, teachers primarily were subhumans, shit tier personality while the medium tier highschool had decent teachers, shitty retarded classmates obviously and irony is that some of its teachers were top in their fields with scientific publications and great academic results, while at the elite highschool they were like meh.

Now I don't even want to think about college fuck that, academic system is not for everybody if you're an amazing self-learner just fucking go to most care free academic environments and if diploma is important transfer in the last year and kiss ass hard.

3rd year Comp.E. student, same situation pretty much. Just do what's necessary for a B. Studying and class attendance is optional if you can will yourself to higher grade, whether it be through self study, learning the material ahead of time, or even cheating if needed. The professor doesn't care about your life story, they're just looking at a grade on a screen. I usually self study my programming a lot at the start of semesters and then practice it occasionally, only going to class for exams. I use my free time then to study for another class's exam if one's coming up. Honestly it just comes down to time management and gaming the system. Don't fall for the "I have to study 8 hours a day at the library" meme, just do what's needed.

Thing is every time I had to do a project by myself I would score an A+, A and do it in the same time it would take for an exam in class.

While in class with the same knowledge on a test I would score horribly due to the pressure and the pressence of others, my brain is highly introverted - I'm genetically hardwired that way I cannot bypass that.

If a teacher would want to listen to me I would fucking block, BUT If I would express freely to a small group of people I would not have such problems - the moment I am in front of many people I just shut down...

But again sometimes in life usually when I knew I had no attachments to the group I could have an impeccable speech in front of hundreds of people, of course at the end of it I would be highly taxed and avoid social interactions for some hours, but the moment I think the academic medium is too biased towards extroverts.

Oh and once a teacher or a group of people see you in that shitty situation a few times early on, it just locks you like that - in psychology it's something like "the halo effect" no matter what you do next you can't reedem yourself so your grades will permanently suffer.

The only deep introverts that survive this are usually brainwashed nerds that were forced to follow rigorous systems, usually their parents are teachers and are usually tutored even at home by teachers 24/7, in academic world you can see that they usually don't have to talk much because teachers knows their type and just goes along with them usually trying to not break their academic score.

Honestly now you've made me go back to dark very dark memories, there's nothing pleasant for me to remember from school system... holy shit I think my kids will go trough private schools and I would probably bribe teachers to be unbiased towards them.

I'm extroverted as fuck but I'm so goddamned stupid.

>2.0 gpa

you're going to have to attend a community college and gets your grades up. also keep taking the SAT until you get a good score, if you don't have a good score yet

In USA you can take the national test multiple times? Holy shit that's genius - If I had that opportunity here I would just fucking say - ok I screwed up until next year I will 24/7 no life make sure I both study the curriculum first first year of uni and train hard to score as high as possible on sat.

absolutely OP, as long as you have the passion to learn and invest in that skillset you’ll be able to do so. If you’re a slow learner or have difficulty, it’ll take you a longer but you’ll get there

If you can code well, start making shit now. The more tangible things you have, the better. I have a friend who barely passed highschool and didn't take a single class of college, and he's a Web dev/network Admin at a law firm downtown from where I live. HR likes degrees and diplomas, but they LOVE things they can physically see. Dude just built a few websites for free and got himself a cushion job