Tfw can't into git terms i.e. staged, unstaged, tracked, untracked, commit, branch

>tfw can't into git terms i.e. staged, unstaged, tracked, untracked, commit, branch

Other urls found in this thread:

git-scm.com/book/en/v2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

3 years using git and i only know commit push and pull
programmer lead always complain about main branch or something

senior programmer said I should merge to develop.
I dunno what he wants.

Tfw you you fuck up git and dont know how to revert it to before commit state.

git push origin --force my main man

your repos are probably one giant mess
and your code is all spaghetti

why even use git or similar?

It's just convoluted terminology for basic things. Staging is when you have file changes that exist only on your system. You have unstaged files when you changed something and didn't commit it.
A commit is when you "lock" the changes your made up to a point, once you've done this you can push (upload) the commit to a branch (a copy) of your project. You can have multiple branches in case you want to try a risky rewrite of some code and save it, without touching the main code in case things go fubar. If you end up liking the changes enough to integrate them into the main branch, you can merge them.

Automated cloud storage. I think it would be quite a bit less convenient to keep track of a project in Dropbox. Sure, after saving you could just copy/paste everything, but let's say you're working with another person who's doing the UI, if you upload your work wholesale you'll just overwrite their work if they uploaded just a moment before. Git keeps track of the exact files you've altered and only updates those files, and lets you see the history of changes and who changed what and when.

That's because you're so pajeet that in 3 years you haven't received the privilege of merging anything, just "pull from master, do your own stuff, push ON YOUR POO_EVOLUTIVE_2.0 BRANCH FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE, and then when you are done ask gently for a merge request and the big shots will review your code and maybe, just maybe, merge it.
That's how pajeet you are.

All you need:

git pull
git commit -a -m "Updated"
git push

If something goes wrong:

rm -rf
git clone

>current state of Sup Forums

lol I know your pain

thought it would easy peasy but I'll have to read a book on that to truly get it.

I picked up GIT like 3 weeks ago. Are you retarded?
Staged - going to be tracked
Unstaged - Untracked, do not CM
Commit - Add to trunk or branch or whatever
Branch - A derivative of the main Trunk

SVN is easier and better IMO

>Not using Gitkraken
CLI fags need to die a painful death

I mean, storing your code in someone elses cloud is pretty messed up. And it's not even free

>tfw can't into the jargon at all
even "preprocessor" was all mumble to me just yesterday

git checkout origin/develop
git merge origin/branchtomergefrom --no-ff

You have google, you could be looking up every single one of these terms or doing a tutorial. But instead you're posting frogs waiting to be spoon-fed.

You're not going to make it.

Because its better than saving your entire project into different folders to keep track of previous versions. Also remote backups.

staged: files that will be included in the next commit
unstaged: files that will NOT be included in the next commit
commit: a snapshot of the current staged files
branch: a copy of the repository, any changes/commits made to one branch will not affect other branches, you can merge branches later though

How should you go about creating branches and merging? Should you use diagrams to help visualize all that stuff or you supposed to keep it all in your head. I dont understand.

>nu Sup Forums

Think of your repo as if it were a slave market.
The files you add are the noggers coming up to the stage. Once you have a few good niggas on stage somebody gets them, and you commit them to their new owner (your local repo). The stage is now empty for a new sell.

Theres graphical tools(like the github website) that show the branch tree for you, theres probably some way to do it with git itself too

Thanks man. Always helps to think in terms of worthless shitkins.

just learn them with flash cards
you can do it m8

>git
>what is self-hosting?
>what is free as in freedom?
You know that git != github, right?

Read the motherfucking book then
git-scm.com/book/en/v2

c-can I just skim through it looking at the pictures?

Just read the first 4 or 5 chapters. I did it and I know most of the stuff I need to know. It makes understanding git much easier if you known the design ideas.

>not commenting out old code and leaving it there forever

lol nostalgia'd hard

>there are people in THIS thread RIGHT NOW who are keeping their old codes and not rewriting them when making updates
what are you scared of kiddos?